United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi.

Some see me as anti-science, so I thought I would set the record straight.

Since I do a lot of discussion that is insulting to science, I'll show the positive side of what I think.

I think God gifts us scientists for two major reasons:

1. To seek out and find "Easter eggs" that He embedded in the earth at creation.

My favorite example is the discovery of oil. God embedded oil in the earth during the Creation Week, to be discovered when the right time came. Other discoveries, such as minerals and whatnot make our lives better and keep technology moving forward.​

2. To keep religion in check and make sure certain beliefs (religious or otherwise) get nullified.

Alchemy, flat earth, geocentrism, and Phlogiston come to mind here as good examples.​

3. Science pursued to its ultimate end will lead to God.

As long as science keeps asking questions with an open mind, it will eventually find the ultimate Truth. Kind of a long way to go about it, but we get a lot of cool Easter Eggs in the process!
4. Science can be fun!

Especially for those who are using it to further God's will.​

It's when science goes up against the Bible, that I have an issue with it.

Note: Credit to Jacks, my Brother In Christ, for points 3 and 4. :oldthumbsup:

Can anyone else think of a way that science is a blessing in our lives by serving God's purposes?

Last edited:

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's when science goes up against the Bible, that I have an issue with.

Well, no, it's when your interpretation of some aspect of science goes up against your interpretation of the bible that you have an issue. And since it really is just you being unable to reconcile two of your interpretations, it's an issue that ends with you as well.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

Since I do a lot of discussion that is insulting to science, I'll show the positive side of what I think.

1. To seek out and find "Easter eggs" that He embedded in the earth at creation.

My favorite example is the discovery of oil. God embedded oil in the earth during the Creation Week, to be discovered when the right time came. Other discoveries, such as minerals and whatnot make our lives better and keep technology moving forward.​

2. To keep religion in check and make sure certain beliefs (religious or otherwise) get nullified.

Alchemy, flat earth, geocentrism, and Phlogiston come to mind here as good examples.​

Science being only the study of nature, the work to learn how nature works, it can never truly go against the Creator of Nature, even if some one theory might seem to -- when it seems to disagree one of the theories is wrong, and as you point out, the wrong theory can be (has been quite a few times) the one that is an interpretation (usually with added assumptions!) someone made up starting with something they don't understand fully (or correctly) in scripture. Right along with 'flat earth' are other mistaken ideas such as the mistaken assumptions (with added ideas from outside of scripture) used to imagine 'young earth' stuff.

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Science is neat, many useful things can be done and used in the mixing of chemicals, having experiments with differing elements.

They use Radar technology, to scan the sky to see the weather patterns, and have alarm system in place, to warn others (though they probably arent all that effective but they are there to use).

Our definition of science - The Science Council ~ Science it has all kinds of different facets with-in the word itself which is the according to Google: Science: is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology (This process is on that links first page) based on evidence ... Evidence.

Experiment and/or observation as benchmarks for testing hypotheses.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hi.

Correction, it is when science goes up against your interpretation of the Bible that you have a problem. The science is very clear. Your interpretation is wrong at best.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Correction, it is when science goes up against your interpretation of the Bible that you have a problem. The science is very clear. Your interpretation is wrong at best.
You got ninja'd by Tanj in Post 3. ;)

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I could add a third reason. Science pursued to it's ultimate end will lead to God. As long as science keeps asking questions with an open mind, it will eventually find the ultimate Truth. Kind of a long way to go about it, but we get a lot of cool Easter Eggs in the process!

Now that I think about it I can think of a fourth reason. Science can be fun. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I could add a third reason. Science pursued to it's ultimate end will lead to God. As long as science keeps asking questions with an open mind, it will eventually find the ultimate Truth. Kind of a long way to go about it, but we get a lot of cool Easter Eggs in the process!

Now that I think about it I can think of a fourth reason. Science can be fun. :)
Right on, Jacks! Okay with you if I edit my OP accordingly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, I am not the only one that can see the obvious.

But thank you for pointing that out. I gave him an "agree" rating. He definitely deserved it.
Great minds think alike, don't they? ;)

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't see Science as going up against the Bible ever, but the Scientists who teach that there is no God.

Science alone cannot form an opinion. It gloriously displays a portrait of our Lord and Savior. It ALWAYS points to the Creator regardless of what men of science sadly choose to believe.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't see Science as going up against the Bible ever, but the Scientists who teach that there is no God.

Science alone cannot form an opinion. It gloriously displays a portrait of our Lord and Savior. It ALWAYS points to the Creator regardless of what men of science sadly choose to believe.

What scientists teach that there is no God? I know that some argue against the existence of a God, but I do not think any of them teach that. But you are wrong. Nothing in the sciences points towards a god. Upper case or lower case, it just does not do that.

Of course it does not say "there is no god" either.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,029.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone else think of a way that science is a blessing in our lives by serving God's purposes?
Absolutely! Thanks for asking!
One of the Easter Eggs is the blessings of God opening up the Earth to scientist so that we can understand God's Creating process through evolving change over time. The science involved in the process has even opened up process for medications and many of our geological resources that our society needs such as oil, iron, copper, ect, ect.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.