Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Religious freedom was one of our bedrock principles, because of hard lessons learned in Europe. Even if it wasn't, I don't see how not requiring public displays of piety is "shutting the Lord out of government."
The Lord commanded us to love him with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. It wasn't optional.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
No one has forced the Lord out of schools. Anyone can pray anytime they want to. But forced religion isn't the way to go--I gave an example of how that doesn't work earlier.
So where are do they hold prayer in schools?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
No, our country isn't "walking the path of Sodom and Gomorrah".

Where am I "accusing" you of anything?

More importantly, what part of Jesus's command to pray in secret are
you having trouble understanding?

Exactly.

Fire them for not listening to Jesus about how prayer should be conducted?

Really?

Again, the Lord can't be shut out of anything.

People seem to forget this is God they're talking about.

-
Our country most certainly is walking the road of Sodom and Gomorrah. Read Leviticus 18:22.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
You said "We need to bring our country back to God. Do you have a plan?" In response I said "Yes, but prayer in public schools isn't the way. There is this little thing called the Constitution that says something about freedom of religion."

What I wrote, "Yes, but prayer in public schools isn't the way," was in response to your first sentence. You have to read what I wrote in context--the second sentence that I wrote makes no sense otherwise. I did not answer your question as to whether I had a plan, nor am I going to propose a plan. If I had one I would have said so. I'm sorry if you misunderstood the meaning of what I wrote.
What is your plan?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Did the Lord command us to make a public show of our piety?
He told us that if we didn't acknowledge him publicly, he wouldn't acknowledge us. And that isn't piety. That's loving him with all our hearts, minds, and souls.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He told us that if we didn't acknowledge him publicly, he wouldn't acknowledge us.
Really? Where did He say that? Because what I remember from Scripture was it wasn't not acknowledging Him that got you in trouble, it was the denying Him part that did that. see the difference? :wave:

And that isn't piety.
So...the only way to be righteous is to do several of the things He commanded His disciples NOT to do: don't make a display of praying and no vain repetition praying? :scratch:

That's loving him with all our hearts, minds, and souls.
I would have thought doing what He commanded would cover that. :sorry:
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon) :sigh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So where are do they hold prayer in schools?
Prayer was never removed from school.. Any student can say a silent prayer anytime he or she wants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our country most certainly is walking the road of Sodom and Gomorrah. Read Leviticus 18:22.
I have, and it isn't.

Also, Sodom and Gomorrah's problem specifically had to do with a lack of hospitality:

"Sodom's sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door." (Ezekiel 16:49)​

Our country has more charities than one can shake a stick at, so no, it's not "walking the road of Sodom and Gomorrah". At least, not as long as it isn't completely taken over by people who cringe at the thought of sharing their wealth.

He told us that if we didn't acknowledge him publicly, he wouldn't acknowledge us.
He told us:

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full. But when you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you." (Matthew 6:5-6)
Prayer was never removed from school.. Any student can bow his or her plan and say a silent prayer anytime he or she wants.
That's the cool thing about prayer. One can assume any position whatsoever while doing it, and no one has to know. God has that wonderful gift of telepathy; they could look like they're simply contemplating their grocery list, but He knows what's really going down. :)

-

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Soooo only devout Christian teachers in public schools who also pack heat and are excellent shots?
I think you're allowing one issue to bleed into another. Guns is another topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Get over it dreadnought. I don't have a plan. I never said that I did.
Well, absent any other plan, and considering our country is traveling the road of Sodom and Gomorrah, perhaps school prayer is a good idea.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
and if they don't want to pray period what happens? Will they be fired for exercising their right to freedom of religion? Imprisoned?
Then someone else can say the prayer.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What about the students who don't want to listen? Will you have them expelled? Will they be ridiculed and harassed? Be subject to violence?
Compare the "agony" of listening to a prayer to the agony our soldiers endure.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have, and it isn't.

Also, Sodom and Gomorrah's problem specifically had to do with a lack of hospitality:

"Sodom's sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door." (Ezekiel 16:49)​

Our country has more charities than one can shake a stick at, so no, it's not "walking the road of Sodom and Gomorrah". At least, not as long as it isn't completely taken over by people who cringe at the thought of sharing their wealth.

He told us:

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full. But when you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you." (Matthew 6:5-6)
That's the cool thing about prayer. One can assume any position whatsoever while doing it, and no one has to know. God has that wonderful gift of telepathy; they could look like they're simply contemplating their grocery list, but He knows what's really going down. :)

-
The Lord taught us that homosexuality is an abomination, but nowadays, if you say that homosexuality is an abomination, society wants you run out of town.

Upvote 0