Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane | Holy Week | Prayers

WordAloud

Nov 14, 2012
✟17,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just to continue the theme of prayers with Jesus in Gethsemane..

I just find this so profound.

Here is a very brief reflection:

[From this page of my site: A Healing Prayer With Jesus For Lent | Our Father | The Lord’s Prayer | King James Audio Bible | KJV | Jesus In The Garden Of Gethsemane | Love Revealed By Jesus Christ – Listen To the Bible! | King James Audio Bible | KJV | King James Version ]

This is it:

In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prayed to his Father in anguish, knowing that he would soon be betrayed and crucified. Jesus prayed not only for himself, but also for his disciples, that they would be protected from the evil one. At the Last Supper, Jesus prayed:

‘I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.’ (John 17:15-17, KJV)

As followers of Jesus, we too face spiritual battles and attacks from the enemy. The devil seeks to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10), and he will stop at nothing to try to separate us from God’s love and grace. But Jesus has given to Christians his word and his Spirit as protection and strength.

In Psalm 91, the psalmist sings of the protection and refuge God offers to those who trust in Him:

‘He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust: His truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.’ (Psalm 91:4-6, KJV)

Through prayer and the study of God’s word, we find protection from the enemy and strength to resist his attacks. We trust in God’s promises and take refuge in His love and grace. We can also pray for one another, asking God to protect us from the evil one and to strengthen us in our faith.

Let us pray:

‘Dear Lord, I pray for your protection and strength in the face of spiritual battles and attacks from the enemy. I ask that you would cover me with your feathers and keep me under your wings. Help me to trust in your truth and to take refuge in your love and grace. I pray also for my brothers and sisters in Christ, that you would protect them and strengthen them in their faith. May we stand firm in your promises and find strength in your Spirit. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.’