• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Saved Only by Grace?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by KaylaHansa, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Hammster

Hammster Who has believed our report? Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So you don't think that they were apostate, right?

2. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Yes it does! That's the meaning of 'shipwrecked' as I have indicated in #39, based on the Greek exegesis:

What had Hymenaeus and Alexander done to 'shipwreck' their faith. Arndt & Gingrich's Greek lexicon gives the meaning of this word from apwthew as 'reject, repudiate' (1957:102). Therefore Lenski's commentary, based on the Greek, concludes that
    Faith that is shipwrecked is faith that has been repudiated, rejected. It couldn't be clearer, based on the Greek etymology.

Oz

3. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    False!

They had rejected, repudiated their faith. That's what the Greek word means!

Oz

4. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Ah. So Paul really wasn't concerned for them. That whole teaching them not to blaspheme was just for show.

5. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    That's a red herring logical fallacy.

6. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No, it's not. But that is your line when you have no rebuttal.

If their salvation was truly lost (an impossibility), then Paul wouldn't be concerned about them being taught not to blaspheme. And he wouldn't have even worried about turning them over to Satan for any reason.

7. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Your charge against me is false. When you don't address what I write, and give another line to divert away from what I wrote, that's a red herring. That is what you did.

Oz

8. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I did address what you wrote. In fact, I exposed your flaw. If that's a red herring, so be it.

9. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Your response was a red herring because this is what I stated:
    You did not respond to that specific content, so you used a red herring.

Oz

10. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And here we go again. I'll tell you what. When you are done playing silly games with these debates, let me know.

11. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I'm being accurate with what you do with some of my statements in these debates. When you use logical fallacies or other tactics that I observe, in my integrity I'll call them for what I see you doing.

Oz

12. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Like I said...

13. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    MOD HAT ON
    [​IMG]
    Some posts have been deleted in a clean up. As a reminder, you may not post against the Baptist Statement of Faith, OT the site SoF.
    MOD HAT OFF

14. KaylaHansa

KaylaHansa Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Single
    i think this is turning into nothing more than a pointless argument, you guys obviously aren't going to change your mind on anything...

15. Hammster

+14,499
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Why would I?

16. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Kayla,

How would you like me to change my mind? I'm truly and honestly open to a change of mind if I can be shown from the Scriptures that I'm wrong in my interpretation.

I'd appreciate your advice on what my change of mind would look like from the beliefs and actions you would like me to have.

Sincerely, Oz

17. KaylaHansa

KaylaHansa Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Single
    I'm not telling anyone to change their mind... but it looks like to me that you guys are more of arguing than discussing the subject. But whatever I wanted to bring up the instance when Jesus said to cut off your hand if it causes you sin because it is better to enter heaven with one hand than to go to hell... it seems that according to this verse sin can get you into hell? Again, I am confused...

18. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Kayla,

Why don't you quote the verse and do some exposition of it to show us what you think it means. Do you think it is telling a Christian that he/she can commit sin after coming to faith in Christ and that that sin will cause the person to lose his/her Christian faith and at death he/she will go to hell?

I look forward to your exposition of the text. Honestly, I do look forward to your input. I agree that sometimes we can get argumentative. Your freshness is needed in this discussion.

Oz

19. KaylaHansa

KaylaHansa Newbie

+0
    Baptist
    Single
    I'm not sure what I think of text but it seems to say that sin will bring you into hell. Why else would Jesus say that it's better than to enter heaven without a hand than have your whole body cast into hell?

20. lismore

lismore Legend

+1,839
    Christian
    Single
    Salvation is by grace, but there are crowns mentioned in the bible, given only to some believers, for example:

James 1:12
    Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Some believers will persevere under trial and will receive this crown from the Lord. Others will not persevere, they will still be saved because salvation is by grace. But when crowns are awarded they will not receive one.

:)