✟1,014,066.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Gopher said:
Sorry, My Mistake... This is one of those subjects that frusterates me out of my mind. I was venting and neglected to re-read what I wrote.

I knew it was just a simple error. However, I think it is fair to say that if I had not raised the issue of your mistake, others would have.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Petrarch..while you are posting/reading in this thread...I kind of mentioned this to you in our PM exchange about dreams (go figure) but I should again say that I have always enjoyed discussing and have appreciated your opinions on constitutional law, Charter interpretation etc...I suspect that in the hundred or so pages that must have gone into this debate, you beat me quite a few times...but I learned a LOT from debating you over the legal aspect of SSM and appreciated very much having the chance to look at it legally instead of just socially as I hd to with many others.

Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I have the Dominican Republic flag because at least they're so much richer than we are, spiritually (such devout Catholics), socially (no selfishness and me myself and I individualistic type of society). They are much richer than us even though incredibly poor. We are a poor nation. Very very poor in spirit. And getting worst and worst. It's disastrous. How much more low can we get?

Reactions: New Creation
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gopher

Mar 29, 2005
Calgary & Vancouver
Visit site
✟7,663.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Victrixa said:
Total moral decadence, ungodliness and the irreverance to disobey God's perfect precepts. An utter mockery of our Lord. How more horrible can that get? :help:

Although I am equally as outraged as you are about what is happening to such a sacred, and God sanctioned union, we must remember that not everybody believes in the God who we follow. As such it is impossible to gain any ground using that argument alone. There are, however, plenty of social, legal, and political arguments that can be used that, even if no one changes their opinion because of them, will still serve to give others something to think about. It is the same for those who state "I can't believe those religious nuts are trying to force their religion on us.". That argument gives us nothing to think about. No new perspective to consider. However if they state what they believe to be the social, legal, or political benefits of ssm, we can go away having learned something new, even if we still don't agree with them.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Gopher said:
Although I am equally as outraged as you are about what is happening to such a sacred, and God sanctioned union, we must remember that not everybody believes in the God who we follow. As such it is impossible to gain any ground using that argument alone. There are, however, plenty of social, legal, and political arguments that can be used that, even if no one changes their opinion because of them, will still serve to give others something to think about. It is the same for those who state "I can't believe those religious nuts are trying to force their religion on us.". That argument gives us nothing to think about. No new perspective to consider. However if they state what they believe to be the social, legal, or political benefits of ssm, we can go away having learned something new, even if we still don't agree with them.

Wow, you're like, one of those "sanctity of marriage rah rah!" tpe peope and you're...rational and articulate? :eek:

Heh...thank you for your insight...it really was a breath of fresh air and open mindedness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
I am not saying this to rub anyone's face in it... I understand that there are people who are deeply against this legislation.... but tonight is one of the first times in a long time that I am proud to be Canadian (and will fly the maple leaf for the first time in.... ages). While I know that my opinion differs greatly from that of some of my CF peers, I see tonight as a victory for justice and equality... and it is in that spirit that I celebrate tonight....

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Jonathan David said:
I am not saying this to rub anyone's face in it... I understand that there are people who are deeply against this legislation.... but tonight is one of the first times in a long time that I am proud to be Canadian (and will fly the maple leaf for the first time in.... ages). While I know that my opinion differs greatly from that of some of my CF peers, I see tonight as a victory for justice and equality... and it is in that spirit that I celebrate tonight....

You know...that Canadian flag looks very good next to your name. You've flown so many different flags now that I've just thought of you as a globally conscience and activisty type person (temporary loss of articulateness) but now, in light of SSM and everything I know about you, you really do personify the typical "Canadian" traits and the flag looks very nice next to your name :)

Upvote 0

Gopher

Mar 29, 2005
Calgary & Vancouver
Visit site
✟7,663.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
draper said:
Wow, you're like, one of those "sanctity of marriage rah rah!" tpe peope and you're...rational and articulate? :eek:

Heh...thank you for your insight...it really was a breath of fresh air and open mindedness.

Haha...Thanks. I truly believe that the reason that no one is able to make any ground, or even a good compromise is because too many people on both sides of the debate (not just limited to the ssm debate) are unwilling to listen to the concerns of the others. Instead, they would rather just insult those who disagree with them. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a decent conversation than sit around while people throw insults back and forth.

Upvote 0