Salvation by Works

Do you believe we saved by faith in Jesus or by works?

• Faith

• Works

• Faith and Works

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You mean we are all Co-Savers? Goodness, you might shock some people with that statement! :)

:p
"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

This is the prayer that Christ taught us that we pray us at Mass before the Throne during the offering of the sacrifice.

Seems pretty straightforward and clear to me. This atonement (forgiveness of sins) is only as good as our own willingness to forgive others.

The New Covenant we entered into with God, requires that we forgive others.

So in a nutshell, those are the works we must do.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

This is the prayer that Christ taught us that we pray us at Mass before the Throne during the offering of the sacrifice.

Seems pretty straightforward and clear to me. This atonement (forgiveness of sins) is only as good as our own willingness to forgive others.

The New Covenant we entered into with God, requires that we forgive others.

So in a nutshell, those are the works we must do.

The Sermon on the Mount has the works that we must do...and just in case anyone takes it wrong...we can't do those without God inspiring us and helping us to do them. It is God in us that does them.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And respectfully I will tell you again, there is nothing you can do on your own power that's going to save you. Grace enables us to choose, but we can choose to not follow it. But a work is not necessary for salvation. I am not desribing calvisism, thank you. It is by grace you are saved through faith, not of works so no man can boast. Do we have to choose to cooperate with the grace, yes. But were it not for grace, that choice would not exist.

Sola Gratia.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reluctantly geo I have to admit, on this subject we can learn a lot from our Protestant friends.
Based on the answers to this poll, where the majority have said "Faith + Works", you are absolutely right. I've even seen paid catholic apologists make that mistake.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Based on the answers to this poll, where the majority have said "Faith + Works", you are absolutely right. I've even seen paid catholic apologists make that mistake.
If we want to get hung up on technicalities.

We are required to do certain works of mercy according to our state in life. The bible is totally clear.

We are to do these things. We are to show God's mercy to other ppl in many different ways. Spiritual and corporal.

If we say we have a share in God's own life and we ignore other ppl's needs, then Jesus will say, I never knew you. meaning we really weren't sharing in God's life of grace. IOW, our faith was "dead."

If we say we have a share in God's own divine life, we can not ignore our fellow human beings who are in need.

And we are to help them out of love, not because there is something like salvtion in it for us.

So I don't care how one words it.

Faith, belief in Jesus as our savior will not be a living (saving) faith, if we lack in showing mercy towards our neighbor.

Reactions: Annabel Lee
Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

We are required to do certain works of mercy according to our state in life. The bible is totally clear.

We are to do these things. We are to show God's mercy to other ppl in many different ways. Spiritual and corporal.

If we say we have a share in God's own life and we ignore other ppl's needs, then Jesus will say, I never knew you. meaning we really weren't sharing in God's life of grace. IOW, our faith was "dead."

If we say we have a share in God's own divine life, we can not ignore our fellow human beings who are in need.

And we are to help them out of love, not because there is something like salvtion in it for us.

Faith, belief in Jesus as our savior will not be a living (saving) faith, if we lack in showing mercy towards our neighbor.
I agree. And I think most if not all in this thread agree too, even though you may have voted differently in the poll.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

That's it right there.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

We aren't required to do them to become saved (justified). Failure to do things may result in our losing salvation, but we didn't do anything to be saved.
That isn't a technicality, it is a proper representation of our churches teaching.

Do you see the difference? We aren't saved by faith + works. We can lose our salvation due to lack of works, but we aren't saved by our works.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We aren't required to do them to become saved (justified). Failure to do things may result in our losing salvation, but we didn't do anything to be saved.
That isn't a technicality, it is a proper representation of our churches teaching.

Do you see the difference? We aren't saved by faith + works. We can lose our salvation due to lack of works, but we aren't saved by our works.

Correct.

geo is making the distinction between initial justification and ultimate salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

For the record, I choose that option because "cooperation with grace alone" was not an option.

:)

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

It never said it was in order to be justified.

I know this argument you like to have and you are hung up on the technicality.

I know that we don't need any works in order to be baptized, and that technically we don't need works in a strict sense... that a new born baptized baby or adult who does no works at all will be saved because of grace if he were to die on the spot.

That is technically true but for the majority of us who have been baptized and who have been given reason and many years upon the earth... in order to be saved, we need to show mercy or mercy will not be shown to us when we meet the Lord. In that (more likely to be our own scenario) sense, yea, we need works.

I know, you know, redemption and actual salvtion are not one in the same.

No one needs works in order to be redeemed but in order to be saved in the end, the large majority of us will need works to be saved because our lives will continue on after we have been redeemed.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Correct.

geo is making the distinction between initial justification and ultimate salvation.
Yeah I know but he doesn't have to because that is not a point i ever argued in the first place.

He just likes trying to find error in whatever it is I say.

Technically, no a person does not need any works what so ever to be saved. All they need is baptism...

but guess what?

Not all of us are going to drop dead after our re birth, we are going to live many years and if we are cognitive, if we aren't clinically insane where we can't know right from wrong, we are required to do the works of mercy because that is how they will know we are Christians, that is how the world will come to believe.

Why do you think we don't read about salvation for babies, children and mentally impaired folks? Because they don't need works.

The bible was written for us, the one who are the work-ers those in the fields, we are to bring God's salvation to the ends of the earth, the ones who are to be Christ's witnesses.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I know but he doesn't have to because that is not a point i ever argued in the first place.

He just likes trying to find error in whatever it is I say.

Technically, no a person does not need any works what so ever to be saved. All they need is baptism...

but guess what?

Not all of us are going to drop dead after our re birth, we are going to live many years and if we are cognitive, if we aren't clinically insane where we can't know right from wrong, we are required to do the works of mercy because that is how they will know we are Christians, that is how the world we come to believe.

Why do you think we don't read about salvation for babies, children and mentally impaired folks? Because they don't need works.

The bible was written for us, the one who are the work-ers those in the fields, we are to bring God's salvation to the ends of the earth, the ones who are to be Christ's witnesses.

Correct. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
geo said:

didja hear that DF? Your chosen modern day Church Father agrees with me, too. :p

And you told me I sounded like a calvinist that was close enough.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
didja hear that DF? Your chosen modern day Church Father agrees with me, too. :p

And you told me I sounded like a calvinist that was close enough.

I said that you seemed to be talking about irresistible grace for one part of your argument, which is a Calvinist heresy.

You then cleared it up.

There was no accusation from me.

PS

I don't disagree...but he is talking about initial justification, not ultimate salvation, which do require works (assisted by grace.)

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by geo

This guys works were toast but is seems he made it.....Note WORKS are what is being burned..

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day( It will occur on the day of judgment) shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.