Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I first came to the truth of the Bible and realized that we need to obey God's will to
be saved, one of the things that I was unsure of, until I searched the scriptures, was whether or
not I needed to keep the Sabbath day or not. As I knew it was something God commanded the Israelites
to keep. But was it something Christians needed to?

Scripture makes it clear that Christians do not have to keep the Sabbath.

Colossians 2:16
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"

From Ellicott's commentary on Colossians 2:16
"It is obvious that St. Paul gives no hint of any succession of the Lord's Day to be,
in any strict sense, a "Christian Sabbath." We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself
lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes
as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to "judge" others in respect of it."

In the book of Acts in chapter 21 verse 25, Paul is speaking on things regarding the customs of the Jews,
and what, if any, should the gentiles keep.
"As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no
such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered
to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication."

If the Sabbath was something to be kept under the new covenant,
I believe it would have been mentioned here.

Mark 2:23-28
"And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his
disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said
unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? And he said
unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they
that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high
priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and
gave also to them which were with him? And he said unto them, The sabbath was
made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

Those that are in Christ under grace through faith are not under the Law
neither the commandments of Moses. Though I will say, besides the Sabbath commandment, the other 9 commandments
are taught (some indirectly) in the New Testament.

Romans 6:14
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no

The very next verse qualifies these commandments from the Torah, for the Ger Toshav.

(CLV) Ac 15:20
but to write an epistle to them to be abstaining from ceremonial pollution with idols, and prostitution, and what is strangled, and blood.

(CLV) Ac 15:21
For Moses, from ancient generations, city by city, has those who are heralding him, being read on every sabbath in the synagogues."

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
When I first came to the truth of the Bible and realized that we need to obey God's will to
be saved, one of the things that I was unsure of, until I searched the scriptures, was whether or
not I needed to keep the Sabbath day or not. As I knew it was something God commanded the Israelites
to keep. But was it something Christians needed to?

Scripture makes it clear that Christians do not have to keep the Sabbath.

From Ellicott's commentary on Colossians 2:16
"It is obvious that St. Paul gives no hint of any succession of the Lord's Day to be,
in any strict sense, a "Christian Sabbath." We know, indeed, that the Jewish Sabbath itself
lingered in the Church, as having a kind of sacredness, kept sometimes as a fast, sometimes
as a festival. But its observance was not of obligation. No man was to "judge" others in respect of it."

In the book of Acts in chapter 21 verse 25, Paul is speaking on things regarding the customs of the Jews,
and what, if any, should the gentiles keep.

"And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his
disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said
unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? And he said
unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they
that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high
priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and
gave also to them which were with him? And he said unto them, The sabbath was
made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

Those that are in Christ under grace through faith are not under the Law
neither the commandments of Moses. Though I will say, besides the Sabbath commandment, the other 9 commandments
are taught (some indirectly) in the New Testament.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

"Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.” John 6:28 & 29

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Ec 1:9
What occurred once, it shall occur again, And what was done, it shall be done again. There is nothing at all new under the sun.

(CLV) Ac 15:20
but to write an epistle to them to be abstaining from ceremonial pollution with idols, and prostitution, and what is strangled, and blood.

Leviticus 17
7 No longer shall they sacrifice their sacrifices to hairy goat-demons after whom they have been prostituting. An eonian statute shall this become for them throughout their generations. 8 To them you shall say:Any man from the house of Israel or from the sojourners who sojourn in your midst who should offer an ascent offering or a sacrifice 9 and not bring it to the opening of the tent of appointment to offer it to Yahweh, that man will be cut off from his kinsmen. 10 As for any man from the house of Israel and from the sojourners sojourning in your midst who should eat any blood, I will set My face against the soul eating blood, and I will cut him off from among his people, 11 for the soul of the flesh, it is in the blood, and I Myself have assigned it to you to make a propitiatory shelter over your souls on the altar; for the blood, in the soul it makes a propitiatory shelter. 12 Therefore I say to the sons of Israel:No soul at all of you shall eat blood; nor shall the sojourner sojourning in your midst eat blood. 13 Any man from the sons of Israel and from the sojourners sojourning in your midst who hunt a game animal or a flyer which may be eaten will pour out its blood and cover it with soil, 14 for the soul of all flesh is its blood; as its soul is it. So I said to the sons of Israel:The blood of any flesh you shall not eat, for the soul of all flesh, it is its blood. Everyone eating it shall be cut off.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Yes Paul was telling the new converts not to let their Pagan friends and family judge them as they followed Paul's teachings of the Torah, keeping the Sabbath, and the new moons, and the Moedim.

(CLV) 1Co 11:1
Become imitators of me, according as I also am of Christ.

Paul was not contradicting Yahshua, as some false teachers might have you believe.

(CLV) Lk 16:17
Yet it is easier for heaven and earth to pass by than for one serif of the law to fall.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.

Surely you aren't falsely accusing Yahshua as the Pharisees did?

Aside from what the Talmud might say; the Torah makes no prohibition of eating on the Sabbath.

Yahshua did not break Sabbath. If he broke any of the Torah; then he could not have walked a perfect walk. I won't take this logic to its' inevitable conclusion.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

(CLV) Ro 3:31
Are we, then, nullifying law through faith? May it not be coming to that! Nay, we are sustaining law.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OC: Man made for the Sabbath (by rigorously keeping required rituals).

NC: Sabbath made for man (we get the day off to rest and be refreshed).

I believe that the seventh day Sabbath is holy and is blessed by God as a time for needed physical, mental, and spiritual rest and rejuvenation. I don't believe any other period of time is as effective in providing these benefits as does the Sabbath. It is truly holy time, and one of the greatest of God's blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We must on pick up your cross, deny ourselves daily and live in obedience unto Jesus Christ until the end of our life if we desire to be saved.

Christians=followers of Christ (in obedience unto Him)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[USER
We must on pick up your cross, deny ourselves daily and live in obedience unto Jesus Christ until the end of our life if we desire to be saved.

Except on the Sabbath. We get to lay down our cross and get some rest, just as God did after creation week. :sleep:

• Haha
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Except on the Sabbath. We get to lay down our cross and get some rest, just as God did after creation week. :sleep:

Picking up our cross is living in obedience unto God, following in Christ's footsteps. True Christians must never "lay down our cross" but we must "endure unto the end". And were not required to keep the Sabbath as I've proven.

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@BlessedCreator, shalom,

Yes the Sabbath is for observance today. There are many Scriptures to verify this throughout the Bible, but some Christians seem happy to jump on ambiguous words from Paul to disobey this. See 2 Peter 3:16.

The best advice I can give to you is to keep the Sabbath for a month and see if it is a blessing or not. As for me, I love the Sabbath and eagerly look forward to it each week as its a special day, ordained by the Creator, to celebrate His great work of Creation.

Some practical advice now:
  • From sundown on Friday, rest till Saturday sundown (no work, no buying or selling).
  • Try to prepare ahead of hand so everything is done before then so you don't have any last minute jobs.
  • You can cook food but leave the dishes if you can!
  • Enjoy the Word or spending time in or meditating on His Creation.
  • Don't think observing Sabbatg makes you more righteous than another disciple.
  • Don't think you need to observe Sabbath for salvation.
  • Do good on the Sabbath - if you see or hear of someone in need and you have the power to help, then do so, even if it means you will be working. Love is most important thing.

I hope you enjoy the Sabbath as well if you do decide to observe it. I'm sure you will! It is a geeat sign given to us from the Creator.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
@Aussie Pete
""Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.” John 6:28 & 29"

In John 3:36 it says "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

If you do a quick word study on the definitions of the words "believeth" in that verse you'll find that there are two different definitions, one for the first believeth and one for the second.

The first believeth is defined as "to believe, entrust".

The second believeth is defined as "to disobey".

So you insert those definitions into the verse it would read:

He that believes on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that disobeys the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Christians=followers of Christ (in obedience unto Him)
The obedience required is to believe. All people come to Christ with different issues, problems, fears, doubts and prejudices. Those things are a great hindrance to faith. Expecting some kind of perfection in this life is unrealistic. Yes, Christians should be much different at the end of their lives from when they first got born again. It is a process. It's the salvation of the soul.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We did indeed enter that eternal rest with Christ.

The Sabbath was a shadow of that eternal rest from our works.

The sacrifices were a shadow of Christ's eternal sacrifice.

The Passover was a shadow of Christ's redemption in His blood.

The Levite priesthood was a shadow of Christ's High Priesthood in the eternal realms.

The food laws were a shadow of the approaching bread from heaven.

The moral law restrained people until the law of Christ liberated people into the true freedom of love, written on our hearts.

The Old Testament, the prophecies, the law, has all been fulfilled in Christ. We are not under the law now for we are under grace.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Picking up our cross is living in obedience unto God, following in Christ's footsteps. True Christians must never "lay down our cross" but we must "endure unto the end". And were not required to keep the Sabbath as I've proven.

True, we're not required to rest, but it's good for us to do so. Resting on the Sabbath is more effective than on any other day. And getting much needed rest does wonders for one spiritually.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
@BlessedCreator, shalom,

Yes the Sabbath is for observance today. There are many Scriptures to verify this throughout the Bible, but some Christians seem happy to jump on ambiguous words from Paul to disobey this. See 2 Peter 3:16.

The best advice I can give to you is to keep the Sabbath for a month and see if it is a blessing or not. As for me, I love the Sabbath and eagerly look forward to it each week as its a special day, ordained by the Creator, to celebrate His great work of Creation.

• From sundown on Friday, rest till Saturday sundown (no work, no buying or selling).
  • Try to prepare ahead of hand so everything is done before then so you don't have any last minute jobs.
  • Do good on the Sabbath - if you see or hear of someone in need and you have the power to help, then do so, even if it means you will be working. Love is most important thing.

I hope you enjoy the Sabbath as well if you do decide to observe it. I'm sure you will! It is a geeat sign given to us from the Creator.

Love & Shalom

I believe the best use of Sabbath time is rest, abstaining from all unnecessary activity. The very word means rest, repose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The obedience required is to believe. All people come to Christ with different issues, problems, fears, doubts and prejudices. Those things are a great hindrance to faith. Expecting some kind of perfection in this life is unrealistic. Yes, Christians should be much different at the end of their lives from when they first got born again. It is a process. It's the salvation of the soul.

Not just to believe, that is bare minimum this faith requires. We must live a Holy and righteous life according to God's commandments and precepts He has taught us in His word.

Matthew 25:30 KJB
"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Upvote 0

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
@BlessedCreator, shalom,

Love & Shalom

The word is clear we do not have to keep the Sabbath. That is not to say you cant because it is implied that that is allowed, if you want to.

Upvote 0