S.N.A.P (food stamps) is a collossal failure.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cant fix capitalism because humans are only suited for subjugation or uneven distribution of luxuries and worth. Capitalism is specifically designed for deceit and non-cooperation (despite branding itself as an economy based on trade and sovereignty).

Be careful about trashing capitalism on American forums, especially when the critique is correct.

Capitalism worked very well for me. I saved up* the down payment ** (capital) and bought an apartment building (capitalism) and have been in 'high cotton' since.

* Took me 10 years to save $20,000.
**Borrowed another $20,000 from my boss, paid him back in two years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From what I can see, SNAP benefits aren't generous and given the income limits - many people in my area wouldn't even qualify - though they need help. Shoot, those income limits mean you are homeless, couch surfing or similar. So someone qualifying for SNAP would probably be eating convenience food because they'd need several roommates to live somewhere with a kitchen.

Side note- someone said fresh food is cheaper than frozen. Lol- only really basic stuff like rice, beans, lentils & they take time & energy to prepare. Where I live,, frozen food is cheaper, often on sale with coupons readily available for additional discounts. Same with other highly processed foods.

If our public schools would teach basic physiology (how the body works) people could fashion a healthy diet for very little money; well within the SNAP allotments. Other benefits would flow as well; better health, more productivity.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where do you live?

The trick is to artificially inflate the price of "good" food so that people will develop a static discouragement to eating healthy. The hope is people will neglect their nutrition to save money. But, you can't eat your money. This works very well in cold places, places with geographical barriers, or places with barren land.

The higher price of better food is mitigated by the fact that you need less of it to be well nourished. Also, eating less of any food improves digestion (as long as what you eat can be digested properly).

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
The higher price of better food is mitigated by the fact that you need less of it to be well nourished. Also, eating less of any food improves digestion (as long as what you eat can be digested properly).

Eating less is not the same as less calories. Fresh vegetables have more micro-nutrients than most food, but they lack carbohydrates and complete proteins necessary for completing amino acid chains. However, eating a variety of vegetables can provide for various amine groups from protein sources - providing the ability to make complete proteins.

It also depends on your body type. An endomorph can eat 200% less calories than an ectomorph, and gain 4x as much weight. A mesomorph or athlete may need 5000 Cal - 10,000 Cal a day. When I was training, I had to eat every two hours. My daily caloric intake was 8500 cal/day, and I couldn't keep weight on (mainly due to my training). I also drank about 2 gal of fluids a day (not including food). When I was training, I got most of my protein from lean meat, but I had to force myself to eat the meat because I am generally vegetarian.

However, I would say that I know what you mean. It is true eating less in quantity can improve digestion. But, I would disagree that better food availability and price is mitigated by the quantity of food needed. Layperson don't know this, and aren't given access to much information that wouldn't cause them to diet and destroy their metabolism. The people who would have access to this type of information have the means to buy the "heirloom" vegetables and non-hormone/non-antibiotic/grass-fed/free range/glatt/kosher (LA) food.

Nutrition is a class, social and psychological issue now. It used to be the "rich" were too ignorant to realize what they thought was trash food was actually the most nutritious. Their epicure blinded them from nutrition. Now, they are eating those foods, and convincing laypersons to eat the trash.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I didn't claim it, I merely repeated the claim, in an ironic and sarcastic way.
This whole discussion format works best when what you say is what you mean, unless youre explicitly quoting someone.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eating less is not the same as less calories. Fresh vegetables have more micro-nutrients than most food, but they lack carbohydrates and complete proteins necessary for completing amino acid chains. However, eating a variety of vegetables can provide for various amine groups from protein sources - providing the ability to make complete proteins.

It also depends on your body type. An endomorph can eat 200% less calories than an ectomorph, and gain 4x as much weight. A mesomorph or athlete may need 5000 Cal - 10,000 Cal a day. When I was training, I had to eat every two hours. My daily caloric intake was 8500 cal/day, and I couldn't keep weight on (mainly due to my training). I also drank about 2 gal of fluids a day (not including food). When I was training, I got most of my protein from lean meat, but I had to force myself to eat the meat because I am generally vegetarian.

However, I would say that I know what you mean. It is true eating less in quantity can improve digestion. But, I would disagree that better food availability and price is mitigated by the quantity of food needed. Layperson don't know this, and aren't given access to much information that wouldn't cause them to diet and destroy their metabolism. The people who would have access to this type of information have the means to buy the "heirloom" vegetables and non-hormone/non-antibiotic/grass-fed/free range/glatt/kosher (LA) food.

Nutrition is a class, social and psychological issue now. It used to be the "rich" were too ignorant to realize what they thought was trash food was actually the most nutritious. Their epicure blinded them from nutrition. Now, they are eating those foods, and convincing laypersons to eat the trash.

Proper digestion is the single most important factor in good health, and the most misunderstood one as well.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This whole discussion format works best when what you say is what you mean, unless youre explicitly quoting someone.

I wuz being provocative (and I don't think the thread lacks discussion).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're welcome. Perhaps next time it actually will be.

I'll expend every effort to present my next thread in such a way that will satisfy the most demanding criteria. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Cant fix capitalism because humans are only suited for subjugation or uneven distribution of luxuries and worth. Capitalism is specifically designed for deceit and non-cooperation (despite branding itself as an economy based on trade and sovereignty).

Be careful about trashing capitalism on American forums, especially when the critique is correct.
I hear you about trashing capitalism. I've been called a Communist more than a few times. It is like there are only two kinds of people on the planet....capitalists and Communists. And they even apply to the same thing. One is an economic engine and the other is a form of government.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Proper digestion is the single most important factor in good health, and the most misunderstood one as well.

Perhaps, but since alimentary affairs are a class issue now, it is unlikely the "plebs" (most of us, including some "rich" people) will have the education to provide their body with proper nutrients to thrive. Most people have no problems with GMOs, and cannot see the connection between the first approved GMOs for consumption (year,) and food allergies that just showed up (e.g. gluten).

When I said we were eating ourselves to death, I think people took it hyperbolically. Indeed, we are all still alive, but what do our genetics look like? It is incredibly hard to destroy these bodies; your body will morph and adapt to survive as long as possible. People can survive on preservatives fast food for most of their lives (only to develop cancers or disease 40 years later,) the same is happen with eating one's self to death.

You may not realize you have a toxic liver until it swells under your ribcage, and you become jaundiced, for example.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I hear you about trashing capitalism. I've been called a Communist more than a few times. It is like there are only two kinds of people on the planet....capitalists and Communists. And they even apply to the same thing. One is an economic engine and the other is a form of government.

Oh yea, you will definitely be called a Marxist if you speak against capitalism. Depending on your arguments, and whether you have read the Communist Manifesto, it can be particularly ironic.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, but since alimentary affairs are a class issue now, it is unlikely the "plebs" (most of us, including some "rich" people) will have the education to provide their body with proper nutrients to thrive. Most people have no problems with GMOs, and cannot see the connection between the first approved GMOs for consumption (year,) and food allergies that just showed up (e.g. gluten).

When I said we were eating ourselves to death, I think people took it hyperbolically. Indeed, we are all still alive, but what do our genetics look like? It is incredibly hard to destroy these bodies; your body will morph and adapt to survive as long as possible. People can survive on preservatives fast food for most of their lives (only to develop cancers or disease 40 years later,) the same is happen with eating one's self to death.

You may not realize you have a toxic liver until it swells under your ribcage, and you become jaundiced, for example.

It's actually not that complicated. If we do our conscious part our body will do the rest, and quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I just heard that 30 million Americans, mostly children, go to bed hungry each night. You would think we could craft a food program to help them.

Perhaps then ask why grocery stores across the world throw tons and tons of perfectly good food out every year rather than give it to those in need. If you knew the amount of food, toiletries, and other products that stores throw away (even if they're perfectly good) rather than give to those who need them you'd be sick to your stomach.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps then ask why grocery stores across the world throw tons and tons of perfectly good food out every year rather than give it to those in need. If you knew the amount of food, toiletries, and other products that stores throw away (even if they're perfectly good) rather than give to those who need them you'd be sick to your stomach.

If food is spoiled or 'outdated' there is liability in giving it away. If someone fishes it out of the dumpster any harm (sickness) is their responsibility. Food programs like SNAP and WIC provide free food for the poor. We have wonderful food aid programs here. Sadly they are badly abused.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Capitalism worked very well for me. I saved up* the down payment ** (capital) and bought an apartment building (capitalism) and have been in 'high cotton' since.

* Took me 10 years to save $20,000.
**Borrowed another $20,000 from my boss, paid him back in two years.

Capitalism always has room for elevators that lift a few people up the respective levels of the pyramids. Those floors, however, are still in the abyss of the pyramid. The ceiling is still impenetrable for 99.9% - there is just an illusion of progress.

For example, your $20,000 is worthless if interest rates are kept artificially low, or if the value of the dollar plummets. Fiat money is worthless except for the credit applied to it. That isn't necessarily a positive attribute to capitalism. It may be a testament of your personal financial discipline, but it isn't a merit to capitalism. There are mechanisms to normalize the slope of the pyramid - and there are mechanisms to account for perturbations in that pyramid system. A $20,000 surplus for one human in a pyramid scheme of over 300 million (and trillions in alleged valuation) is nothing.

An apartment building is not a symbol of capitalism. Cotton High is from slave economy. Capitalism is that empty.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
It's actually not that complicated. If we do our conscious part our body will do the rest, and quickly.

You are assuming people are conscious of their bodies, that they can rest (in this purposefully ragged economy), and that they have the luxury to heal quickly.

Beginning with the latter, your body cannot heal (even quickly) if you do not consume the correct nutrients, or if the nutrients you consume are unnatural, or if they are filled with toxins and chemicals that interfere with metabolic function.

It is that complicated, since the foundation is about nutrition, and people are either ignorant or uneducated about the meticulous defense one must execute in order to properly eat for the purposes of healthy living. Ironically, if we followed the Word of God and the Leviticus diet, you could bypass a good amount of anxiety about what you put in your body.

Just because you live a long time doesn't mean you are healthy.

Upvote 0