S.N.A.P (food stamps) is a collossal failure.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I was a food stamp worker decades ago for two years. I would not say that the program is a huge failure. Obviously, it has not solved the problem of hunger in America, but things would be worse without it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was a food stamp worker decades ago for two years. I would not say that the program is a huge failure. Obviously, it has not solved the problem of hunger in America, but things would be worse without it.

I'm guessing that most of the 30 million mentioned are actually on food stamps or other food assistance programs. My question is why they are still hungry?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm guessing that most of the 30 million mentioned are actually on food stamps or other food assistance programs. My question is why they are still hungry?
It is possible that the increases in food stamp (now SNAP) benefits over the years has not kept pace with the increased cost of food. There are probably other answers, but that is the one that comes to me off the top of my head anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is possible that the increases in food stamp (now SNAP) benefits over the years has not kept pace with the increased cost of food. There are probably other answers, but that is the one that comes to me off the top of my head anyway.

I've already researched that aspect. SNAP benefits are well researched and quite generous regarding food costs.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, I have not researched the subject since I left the food stamp program not too long after the end of the Ford recession. I can tell you that back then we only gave out $50.00 a month for a single adult to live on, if they had no income at all. How someone could have lived on $50.00 per month, even in the mid to late 1970's is beyond me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,093.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I have not researched the subject since I left the food stamp program not too long after the end of the Ford recession. I can tell you that back then we only gave out $50.00 a month for a single adult to live on, if they had no income at all. How someone could have lived on $50.00 per month, even in the mid to late 1970's is beyond me.
An inflation calculator tells me that $50 in 1975 is equivalent to $234.34 today. I could easily eat for a month on that.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
An inflation calculator tells me that $50 in 1975 is equivalent to $234.34 today. I could easily eat for a month on that.
Yes, if SNAP provides $234.34 per month for one person with no income, that should be sufficient, if one is careful. However, I would be surprised if the program is so generous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

I can tell you that I know someone who is on disability, gets less than $1000 with that disability check a month and has to pay rent, electric, gas, and gas for their car and they have two kids. They get $234 a month.

No, SNAP hasn't kept up with the rising cost of food at all.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I used to work for Schwan’s in the early 2000s. I had a lot of EBT customers. Done with families would get about $1100 a month. They would spend a good portion on expensive frozen food.

So, it isn’t the program (though I’m sure that there is room for improvement). The problem is that too many people buy processed food, which is more expensive.

FWIW, my family of 7 spends less than $1000 a month on groceries.

Upvote 0

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Persuade me with the actual data and actual studies that your assertion about 30 million American children “going to bed hungry” means “diagnosed by a doctor as medically malnourished”.

I would expect that 100% of sixteen year old kids will always say they are “hungry” no matter how much they eat.

But that’s far far away from malnourished.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just heard that 30 million Americans, mostly children, go to bed hungry each night.

I've heard that is entirely incorrect. Luckily, the random person I listen too is more credible than yours.

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I would guess that the main reason is our welfare programs are inadequate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I used to work for Schwan’s in the early 2000s. I had a lot of EBT customers. Done with families would get about $1100 a month. They would spend a good portion on expensive frozen food.

So, it isn’t the program (though I’m sure that there is room for improvement). The problem is that too many people buy processed food, which is more expensive.

There's additional issues there though. If a family is living in low cost or temporary accomodation, they may not have the refridgeration/cooking facilities that most of us take for granted, and for parents working long hours lack the time for extensive food preparation. Putting a frozen meal in a microwave might be the best they can accomplish after working until late.

There's also issues of some areas not having easy access to low cost fresh foods, and of course some people lacking the education to know how to cook properly.

• Agree
Reactions: zephcom
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There's additional issues there though. If a family is living in low cost or temporary accomodation, they may not have the refridgeration/cooking facilities that most of us take for granted, and for parents working long hours lack the time for extensive food preparation. Putting a frozen meal in a microwave might be the best they can accomplish after working until late.

There's also issues of some areas not having easy access to low cost fresh foods, and of course some people lacking the education to know how to cook properly.
I was in their homes. That was not the case.

Upvote 0