S.N.A.P (food stamps) is a collossal failure.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Please elaborate.

Very well.

"Tongue in cheek" means something said ironically, sarcastically, or slyly humorous. None of those things apply to a claim that there exists 30 million starving children in the USA, followed by a vague reference to better nutritional programs.

I will reiterate, there's nothing in your post that is even remotely ironic or humorous by any measure.

Hence, my response to your claim it was "tongue in cheek" is that you are using it (and by it I mean irony and all of its derivatives) incorrectly...or more precisely not at all.

Moreover, it would have gone without saying if this was an English or Australian based forum, but given its full of Americans I need to make it explicit, this entire post is fractically tongue in cheek, which is to say taken as a whole it is tongue in cheek, but then broken down into bits each individual bit is also stand-alone tongue in cheek.

Hope that helps...or here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
The maximum 2018 allotment for a family of 3 is $504, which is pretty generous by any measure. Nanook intimated that SNAP was supposed to help with rent, utilities, and gas.

I never said any such thing. SNAP is not meant for those things. I put in rent, utilities, etc to show that a disability check doesn't go far when these things are taken into account.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
There is an easy solution. No one wants to implement it.

Welfare is totally wrong. Job guarantees are the correct way to deal with the problem. There are lots of things which need doing in this country but there just isn't jobs attached to them. We can keep our highways clean, parks clean, trash cleaned out of vacant lots, needles picked up, water and sewer improvements made, trails in wilderness areas built, etc.

Just hire people without jobs. Let them decide how to spend their money. If they won't take a job that is open, give them over to the churches to take care of. That's their mission anyway.

Seriously. We don't WANT to fix this problem. The more people on welfare the less competition there is for the jobs -we- want.

I hope you do not surely mean that everyone without a job should work?

There are those who are truly disabled that can no longer work.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is an easy solution. No one wants to implement it.

Welfare is totally wrong. Job guarantees are the correct way to deal with the problem. There are lots of things which need doing in this country but there just isn't jobs attached to them. We can keep our highways clean, parks clean, trash cleaned out of vacant lots, needles picked up, water and sewer improvements made, trails in wilderness areas built, etc.

Just hire people without jobs. Let them decide how to spend their money. If they won't take a job that is open, give them over to the churches to take care of. That's their mission anyway.

Seriously. We don't WANT to fix this problem. The more people on welfare the less competition there is for the jobs -we- want.

Or we can reduce our population. With technology we need fewer people to maintain our economy. Fewer also means a better life for all.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never said any such thing. SNAP is not meant for those things. I put in rent, utilities, etc to show that a disability check doesn't go far when these things are taken into account.

You are conflating two different examples that you gave. Is the mother of the two kids also disabled? And aren't you saying that SNAP benefits should be increased to 'help' with those other bills (remember that SNAP calculates that the person or family should be contributing 30 percent of food costs from income). Also your SNAP benefit is too low, according the formula they use to determine the food allotment. Your numbers are wrong.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
You are conflating two different examples that you gave. Is the mother of the two kids also disabled? And aren't you saying that SNAP benefits should be increased to 'help' with those other bills (remember that SNAP calculates that the person or family should be contributing 30 percent of food costs from income). Also your SNAP benefit is too low, according the formula they use to determine the food allotment. Your numbers are wrong.

Yes, she is disabled. She has multiple sclerosis. She worked till she could work no more.

What I am saying is that the SNAP benefit should increase for food, not to help pay the bills.

My numbers aren't wrong. I am telling you what she gets for SNAP. Those aren't my numbers, but the actual amount she gets for food stampsas for that 30%, it may work for some, but for others it doesn't work. That 30% leaves her with $665 to pay rent, electric, gas, etc.. Her electric bill routinely goes over $130, especially in the summer because she has to have the A/C running continually because the Ms has left her heat intolerant.

So I do believe that she and others like her should receive more in food stamps.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Or we can reduce our population. With technology we need fewer people to maintain our economy. Fewer also means a better life for all.

This is why opposition to birth control both inside the US and in our foreign aid to other countries is so counterproductive.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I hope you do not surely mean that everyone without a job should work?

There are those who are truly disabled that can no longer work.

When one writes laws, one has the ability to fine tune who and how the law applies. On a forum, it is much more complicated to list the subsections of the concept which provides for special cases.

However, in this case disabilities can and should be dealt with on an individual basis. Some disabilities are such that some jobs can be done while others can't. In the case of 'safety net' jobs, there should be the ability to create a job which fits the abilities of the disabled person. Disabled people HAVE abilities which can provide benefit to society.

Will there be some exceptions??? Of course. But in the overall scheme of things, those exceptions should not be allowed to torpedo the concept that earning ones own paycheck is liberating and being given charity is not.

Far too many people feel like if they pay for others, others 'owe' them something in return. If those people do something to earn their own way, that 'obligation' doesn't exist.

It is that 'owing' others which makes the Welfare system wrong. Society is caring for the poor but it is also assuming society can tell the poor where they can live, what foods they can eat, what vices they can indulge in, etc.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

We need to reduce the population...but that is a different issue entirely. Over-population of any species always results in massive die-off. In our case, our massive die-off will likely take the whole planet down with us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, she is disabled. She has multiple sclerosis. She worked till she could work no more.

What I am saying is that the SNAP benefit should increase for food, not to help pay the bills.

My numbers aren't wrong. I am telling you what she gets for SNAP. Those aren't my numbers, but the actual amount she gets for food stampsas for that 30%, it may work for some, but for others it doesn't work. That 30% leaves her with $665 to pay rent, electric, gas, etc.. Her electric bill routinely goes over $130, especially in the summer because she has to have the A/C running continually because the Ms has left her heat intolerant.

So I do believe that she and others like her should receive more in food stamps.

I'm guessing she has more deductibles from other assistance which would lower her SNAP allotment.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing that most of the 30 million mentioned are actually on food stamps or other food assistance programs. My question is why they are still hungry?
Well there you go!

First you claim without qualification that the program is a failure.

Then we learn this is based on guessing.

We really should do just a little more background work before pronouncing judgement.

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well there you go!

First you claim without qualification that the program is a failure.

Then we learn this is based on guessing.

We really should do just a little more background work before pronouncing judgement.

I didn't claim it, I merely repeated the claim, in an ironic and sarcastic way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
From what I can see, SNAP benefits aren't generous and given the income limits - many people in my area wouldn't even qualify - though they need help. Shoot, those income limits mean you are homeless, couch surfing or similar. So someone qualifying for SNAP would probably be eating convenience food because they'd need several roommates to live somewhere with a kitchen.

Side note- someone said fresh food is cheaper than frozen. Lol- only really basic stuff like rice, beans, lentils & they take time & energy to prepare. Where I live,, frozen food is cheaper, often on sale with coupons readily available for additional discounts. Same with other highly processed foods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very well.

"Tongue in cheek" means something said ironically, sarcastically, or slyly humorous. None of those things apply to a claim that there exists 30 million starving children in the USA, followed by a vague reference to better nutritional programs.

I will reiterate, there's nothing in your post that is even remotely ironic or humorous by any measure.

Hence, my response to your claim it was "tongue in cheek" is that you are using it (and by it I mean irony and all of its derivatives) incorrectly...or more precisely not at all.

Moreover, it would have gone without saying if this was an English or Australian based forum, but given its full of Americans I need to make it explicit, this entire post is fractically tongue in cheek, which is to say taken as a whole it is tongue in cheek, but then broken down into bits each individual bit is also stand-alone tongue in cheek.

Hope that helps...or here endeth the lesson.

Thanks for validating my claim. The thread is meant to be sarcastic, and ironic.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I've heard of that. Usually that is single Black women's children because she works three part time jobs at, on average, 48 percent of what a White male would make for the same job.

Fix capitalism and you can fix that problem too.

Cant fix capitalism because humans are only suited for subjugation or uneven distribution of luxuries and worth. Capitalism is specifically designed for deceit and non-cooperation (despite branding itself as an economy based on trade and sovereignty).

Be careful about trashing capitalism on American forums, especially when the critique is correct.

• Agree
Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
From what I can see, SNAP benefits aren't generous and given the income limits - many people in my area wouldn't even qualify - though they need help. Shoot, those income limits mean you are homeless, couch surfing or similar. So someone qualifying for SNAP would probably be eating convenience food because they'd need several roommates to live somewhere with a kitchen.

Side note- someone said fresh food is cheaper than frozen. Lol- only really basic stuff like rice, beans, lentils & they take time & energy to prepare. Where I live,, frozen food is cheaper, often on sale with coupons readily available for additional discounts. Same with other highly processed foods.

Where do you live?

The trick is to artificially inflate the price of "good" food so that people will develop a static discouragement to eating healthy. The hope is people will neglect their nutrition to save money. But, you can't eat your money. This works very well in cold places, places with geographical barriers, or places with barren land.

Upvote 0