Role Playing

KittyPryde

Jan 8, 2006
✟8,459.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have a friend that believes that everything Christians do in life should be uplifting, in the name of Christ. His family and community are strongly opposed to fantasy fiction. Oddly enough, Narnia and Middle Earth are exceptions due to the authors being Christians.

It is ironic that D&D being such a target of being 'evil'. It is quite obvious that Gary Gygax borrowed heavily from Tolkien when creating D&D. Let's see... Halflings and Hobbits, yeah they are basically the same thing.

Upvote 0

DoubtingThomas29

Mar 4, 2007
✟9,402.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I used to like playing Dungeons and Dragons, but I think that if someone fantaisizes about for example a character that has alignment with lawful evil or chaotic evil, and is trying to acctually think that way, then they are taking some of the thought control mechanisms that are implaced by society, and can actually find themselves thinking about things, they should not be thinking about. If they role play it too well, and don't set up some limits to play by.

I think peopleneed some limits on whn they fantasize about role playing to keep from thinking about what is unthinkable really.

Take care,

Doubting Thomas29

:sorry:

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is role playing evil? Because it leads to things like this:

4153bc7440.jpg

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Boy, I'd love to be your GM :).
Let's see... You have successfully waken a lair of Silver Dragons. Needless to say, they are quite peeved.

Hahaha, your next sentence would probably be, "So go ahead and roll up your next character."

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Generally, the DM aviods having a mixed party. In most games, only good and nuetral characters are allowed. In this "evil game", he only allows evil and nuetral characters. Generally, this allows everyone to aviod PvP situations, unless characters of the same alignment have clashing personalities or goals (which is happening a lot in one of our good aligned games). I play a necromancer in a good-aligned game. I'm loyal to the party members, and because I'm Lawful, I tend to aviod crime. It works out fine, but the Cleric isn't too happy.

Yeah, don't worry about RealSorceror's character. Worry about RealSorceror himself. He's chaotic evil.

Added so I don't get Poewned: ;)

Am I allowed to post links to Chick Tracts in E&M? Morcova showed me a rather excellent one on this subject. :D :D :D

Upvote 0

Wr4ith

Aug 27, 2006
Belgium
✟7,969.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I think D&D could bring young people to the Occult. But very few. And most of them arrive with the wrong idea of what the Occult really is and most of the time, finding out that it isn't like that is enough to make them quit.

I became an Occultist, but I doubt D&D had much to do with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RealSorceror

May 2, 2006
The 2nd layer of Baatar!
✟15,748.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, don't worry about RealSorceror's character. Worry about RealSorceror himself. He's chaotic evil.

Added so I don't get Poewned: ;)
Howed you know that?
Oh, I'm so casting Summon Dire Mongoose!
Am I allowed to post links to Chick Tracts in E&M? Morcova showed me a rather excellent one on this subject. :D :D :D
Ugh. Jack Chick would be hilarious if I didn't find him disgusting.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess it role playing one vs Roll playing issue. I experienced a woman in one of my groups who had a borderline personality. She started to become her character.

Then she certainly had a borderline personality.

While I hear stories like this online occasionally, I've never actually met anyone like this out of the hundreds of D&D players I've known. It must be a great rarity.

Besides, playing D&D can help prevent one from becoming truly scary, like this sports fanatic:

fancrazy.jpg

(shudder)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Rorshack

Jan 24, 2007
✟455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Then she certainly had a borderline personality.

While I hear stories like this online occasionally, I've never actually met anyone like this out of the hundreds of D&D players I've known. It must be a great rarity.

Besides, playing D&D can help prevent one from becoming truly scary, like this sports fanatic:

fancrazy.jpg

(shudder)

eudaimonia,

Mark
Yes, it is unusual. It is not that unusual to find people discussing life events in game terms.

How about Buckaroo Banzi Across the Eighth Dimention. Remember the bar scene where all of the musicians produce weapons, including machine guns, after a shot is heard?

I also GM at conventions and most people are sane. or as sane as gamers can be:)

RE Sports Fan

Ah, maybe he hopes it will help him get lucky at certain taverns.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
At first I thought D&D was some evil/nasty game as everyone said so. To make a long story short, I checked D&D out. D&D can be as nasty as you decide to make it. It does let you know how someone really is including yourself. People find it very hard to play outside their own personal alignment, IMO. AT any rate, I started playing along with my husband and eventually I became the DM with all that work involved. :)

I can see if someone is unbalanced maybe to begin with, they might have a problem. Or end up with a problem. To those who think it teaches evil, I have found few of them who have actually read and or watched players play, etc. The DM and players themselves can make it evil but that is their own choice - not the games. But I don't really think anything I say here will change anyone's opinion of it being evil. I know I changed my own negatory opinion only after investigating the game.

-Peace-

Reactions: seebs
Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
At first I thought D&D was some evil/nasty game as everyone said so. To make a long story short, I checked D&D out. D&D can be as nasty as you decide to make it. It does let you know how someone really is including yourself. People find it very hard to play outside their own personal alignment, IMO. AT any rate, I started playing along with my husband and eventually I became the DM with all that work involved. :)

I can see if someone is unbalanced maybe to begin with, they might have a problem. Or end up with a problem. To those who think it teaches evil, I have found few of them who have actually read and or watched players play, etc. The DM and players themselves can make it evil but that is their own choice - not the games. But I don't really think anything I say here will change anyone's opinion of it being evil. I know I changed my own negatory opinion only after investigating the game.

-Peace-
D&D to me at least, is about as evil as the story of Santa Claus at Christmas time.

Ok... maybe a little bit more. Don't tell one of those fantasy roleplayers that they're living in a dream world. They'll come back at you... hard. Especially online. (I swear, some of them make Fred Phelps look like a saint in comparison).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't tell one of those fantasy roleplayers that they're living in a dream world. They'll come back at you... hard. Especially online. (I swear, some of them make Fred Phelps look like a saint in comparison).

I would too, if you were that rude to me.

How would you feel if I were to say that you, as a Christian, were living in a dream world?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would too, if you were that rude to me.

How would you feel if I were to say that you, as a Christian, were living in a dream world?

eudaimonia,

Mark

As someone whose role played since I was 12, I don't know what I'd be insulted if someone told me I was living in a fantasy world.

I'd feel bad for the person who said it because they were too stupid to tell the difference between real life and a game.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
D&D to me at least, is about as evil as the story of Santa Claus at Christmas time.

Ok... maybe a little bit more. Don't tell one of those fantasy roleplayers that they're living in a dream world. They'll come back at you... hard. Especially online. (I swear, some of them make Fred Phelps look like a saint in comparison).

I will admit that D&D can become addictive. It can become so bad that it can exclude other things. But again, that is the players choice. Admittedly, not a good choice. :)

As to being evil, as I say, the game can be changed to be evil and Santa has nothing to do with evil. But then again, it is the players and DM who decide to do so. The game as wrote and played, is not itself evil. Most people really don't like role playing evil. At least in the games I have been in or DM'd. I once allowed evil alignments. Of course, most went for it. However, all of them quit that game because most people do not want to be evil. Just my own observation.

Anyhoo's, to all gamers - enjoy! :)

-Peace-

Upvote 0