Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You didn't make any points. All you did was use straw man arguments and make unexplained blanket statements.

And no, that is not my idea of Paganism. Actually, if you had read more carefully, you'd have noticed I explicitly said the spells themselves were not the same in RPGs and real life Paganism (how could they be? If it were the case, Paganism would be instantly recognized as false).

Upvote 0

Artema

Angel Wing Mechanic
Oct 30, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lifesaver said:
Indeed, I often act as if media influence was the only reason why people are drawn to it. I'm sure it is not the case, though.

However, I fail to think of any other reason, and so far I have heard of none. I understand people may be weak in their faith and searching for other things. What I can't understand is how anyone can possibly consciously believe the claims of Neo-Pagan religion.
The only reason I can think of is being slowly unconsciously drawn to it because of media influence.

You raise a good point, about someone converting to Christianity because of TPotC. My only reply is that this person was at least led to what is true, as blind as their conversion was. And so it is a good thing.

Ah, but it's a good thing to us as Christians, but a bad thing to the other world religions out there.

It can also be bad if people convert with really really high hopes, like God's someone you pray to to get a close parking spot at the mall, or the goddess will let one spurt firebolts from their fingertips, and when they come to realize their own fallacy, many of them are too prideful to admit their mistake and continue on in that particular belief system. They think it failed them, when in reality they were expecting far too much.

In essence I think all of us in this thread are speaking the same thing, just in different ways. We know that some people can get looped into the media frenzy, and we all agree that we don't want people converting to our various belief systems if they're just coming for the glitz and will move on when the next big thing hits. :sigh: (Hope I'm not assuming anything with that)

I know they are not being forced by anyone. However, people with such weak spiritual assurance should not be playing RPGs and watching Pagan related stuff, for it will likely lead them to this kind of spirituality.
This is basically my position: if you are confident of your faith, go on, watch them and play them. However, if you are likely to be influenced by the spirituality depicted, steer clear.
Of course, the people who are doubting are exactly those who won't agree with my advice, and thus it is mostly useless.

Mm, I agree. I'm facing the same with a few friends of mine who played around with a ouija board at sleepovers and started doing tarot card readings, which got them to read $ilver Ravenwolf, and now they want to become witches, because it's 'cool'. Personally I take ouija board stuff with a grain of salt, it's all psychological and to prove my point to them, I'll actually skew readings.

But they don't want to hear it. If they were just learning about Wicca for the sake of learning, and not so they think they could cast spells onto unwary folk, I'd recommend to them a lot more informative reading material than Ravenwolf, but as is I've just taken to reading a chapter from my bible when they pull their texts out, and I've counseled them more than once in a non-abrasive manner.

So they know I'll be there for them, and right now that sits all right with me.

You needn't fear that kind of response from me, ALTHOUGH the Harry Potter books did come in a very inapropriate time, and JK Rowling's stand regarding Witchcraft has been very questionable...

That's a-okay. Thanks for not judging. :)

Reactions: Lifesaver
Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I played D&D from the time I was 13 until I was in my late 20s. Strangely I have never delved into the occult, not become a pagan, never sacrificed Fluffy to the Dark, Old Ones.

Wonder what I did wrong?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,673.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I played D&D from the time I was 13 until I was in my late 20s. Strangely I have never delved into the occult, not become a pagan, never sacrificed Fluffy to the Dark, Old Ones.

Wonder what I did wrong?

Did you play a Druid? Obviously you had to play a druid so that you would get hooked into all those occult spells.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

However, many young people think the fictional world of role-playing is so cool that they end up believing in occultic religions and doing actual occult rituals. It's not a conscious movement. First they play the game, feel interested about magic and all thos symbols, search the internet for related stuff, find occultic sites by people who say magic is good, tolerant and open-minded, try some little things for themselves, are not really sure if they worked or not but keep on doing it until they are complete believers.
I became Pagan of my own free choice. Yes I do enjoy certain RPGs but the choice to be Pagan is one of my own free will and not as a result of a game.

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It contains some occult elements, e.g. spellcasting. Some Christians think that this will draw young people to neo-paganism. It can be said that these who say it, are afraid of the unknown--they don't know what the game entails, so they assume the worst.

The argument of "occult elements" has the flaw of causality, because it assumes that if a young person plays this game, they will be drawn to pagan beliefs. It could just as easily be the other way round:they are drawn to neo-paganism and are thus attracted to games that glorify it.

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I became Pagan of my own free choice. Yes I do enjoy certain RPGs but the choice to be Pagan is one of my own free will and not as a result of a game.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
Yep. Same here. I'm Asatru because I want to be. Not because of Diablo or similar, which I do play.

Upvote 0

Gusoceros

Head Rhino
Mar 1, 2004
✟8,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do many christians think that playing RPG's is evil?

I think it is religious thinking that does this (doctrinal- being of man). And if they choose to avoid these for their own reasons- no problem.

I personally have no issue with RPGs, and enjoy them from time to time, along with computer games, xbox games with my kids, etc. I am a Christian, and use the opportunity to speak about different things presented in comparison to what the Word of God says- and how to differentiate the Truth, from a game.

G

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hah. I used to play Magic: The Gathering a lot at high school. Mr. Economy was my name, because I was just naturally good at the game and naturally good at RPGs (at the time, I suck at them now).

The conservative Christians always made fun of the group I was in for being of the devil. Shockingly enough, most of them turned atheist, but it wasn't because of the card games of the RPGs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
FWIW, I have never seen a substantiated report of people getting "caught up in the occult" or anything of the sort. It's always "this guy said he saw it happen", but I've never tracked it back successfully to actual events...

I have personally seen it happen.

One of my friends (that I can call in any moments notice) played alot of D&D, and various similar video games particually a serious of games that goes through a time line of pagan alchemists.

He is now a pegan, and is thinking about using some from of modern alchemy as a career (Heh, I didn't even know such a field existed)

Those games and such lead up to it.

Upvote 0
Why do many christians think that playing RPG's is evil?
Have no idea.

However if someone compares real life people to a RP character, I'd see that as a major issue with someone's' capability with comprehending the difference between reality and fictional reality.

Upvote 0
So does this mean reading books about serial killers will make you a serial killer? Or watching movies about the army will make you want to join?
To start with reading books and/or watching movies is a passive activity as opposed to an active activity to start with, which changes the way the mind interacts with those mediums.

Role-playing can be an interpersonal role and it is very difficult for someone to split their personality from the role they are playing (some say it is impossible). So if someone role plays as a serial murderer and can not distinguish the difference between reality and role playing or has difficulty doing so, they may become like the person they are trying to role play. Being a long time ´gamer´ myself I have a good grasp on what is virtual reality and what is reality and as I said if someone has troubles distinguishing the two then that can be a very big issue, in the sense they will try to become an emulated version of themselves, rather then being themselves and become detached from reality.

As for an answer to your question, it depends if someone has an interest in or a want to become a serial killer or join the army as well as how strong a grasp they have on reality, for in their mind they may believe they are a serial killer or army officer from actively playing that role in some way.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Responding only to the OP, I think it has a lot to do with the types of people who play RPG's. In general, and accepting that there are many exceptions: above average intelligence, strong imagination, often socially awkward (in mainstream society, anyway)....in short, the "different" people. The people who don't fit in with the "good" folks. Several of them hanging out together (often in poorly lit basements--I don't know why), doing things that the "good" folks don't understand.
To somebody who fears what they don't understand, and thinks that "different" people must be evil, that image is very scary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rorshack

Jan 24, 2007
✟455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Because it is the entrance door to many occult beliefs and practices.
Because they never played the RPG Horror Rules. Because there are some game systems like the White Wolf System that are evil in concept. But that is just one publishing company. Call of Cthulhu is moral, as is Marvel Supers, and Horror Rules. And that is just for a start.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is just a game. And a person who can clearly differentiate games from reality will have no problem with it.

However, many young people think the fictional world of role-playing is so cool that they end up believing in occultic religions and doing actual occult rituals. It's not a conscious movement. First they play the game, feel interested about magic and all thos symbols, search the internet for related stuff, find occultic sites by people who say magic is good, tolerant and open-minded, try some little things for themselves, are not really sure if they worked or not but keep on doing it until they are complete believers.

Truly, RPGs are not the only possible source (there are computer games, TV series, films, comics). None of those is evil in itself, and watching or playing them will not cause any harm per se. But it is undeniable that pre-teenagers and teenagers nowadays find witchcraft and neo-paganism highly appealing, and many are all too willing to let go of reason to dwell in the fantastic and cool world of "magick".

Perhaps you can name for us which games contain "real" magical rituals.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

To start with reading books and/or watching movies is a passive activity as opposed to an active activity to start with, which changes the way the mind interacts with those mediums.

Role-playing can be an interpersonal role and it is very difficult for someone to split their personality from the role they are playing (some say it is impossible). So if someone role plays as a serial murderer and can not distinguish the difference between reality and role playing or has difficulty doing so, they may become like the person they are trying to role play. Being a long time ´gamer´ myself I have a good grasp on what is virtual reality and what is reality and as I said if someone has troubles distinguishing the two then that can be a very big issue, in the sense they will try to become an emulated version of themselves, rather then being themselves and become detached from reality.

As for an answer to your question, it depends if someone has an interest in or a want to become a serial killer or join the army as well as how strong a grasp they have on reality, for in their mind they may believe they are a serial killer or army officer from actively playing that role in some way.
So it would seem that it depends more on the PERSON and not the game.

Upvote 0
So it would seem that it depends more on the PERSON and not the game.
Which is what I have been saying all along.

Did you read the Christian symbol and automatically assumed I meant the game and not the person? Really I would like the truth behind the assumption.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I fully understand the idea that some things, when taken too seriously and confused as being factual, can lead some people into an irrational world of evil, darkness and insanity.

However, I don't think RPGs (though I've admittedly never played one) are the main culprits here. I think religion is infinitely more dangerous when taken seriously, and far more people are led, through it, it's 'scriptures', leaders, communities and teachings into a world of darkness, hatred, evil and insanity where rational thought and common decency no longer mean anything.

However, I would suggest that for the sake of their own mental and pyhsical health, people maybe play them a little less. Of course, if you want to get rickets from lack of sunlight and go days on end without seeing another human being in the flesh, it's not for me to stop you. ;)

peace

Upvote 0