Role Playing

Your statements seem to indicate you feel that RPGs can be a potential problem
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my initial post on this subject?
Have no idea.

However if someone compares real life people to a RP character, I'd see that as a major issue with someone's capability with comprehending the difference between reality and fictional reality.
Bolding mine.

Upvote 0

Noirceuil

Mar 4, 2007
✟15,128.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Magic in games are just made up mechanics so players can have "kewl powerz". That they use symbols seen as occult is purely trappings. Take away the "magic" trappings (the character chants or uses a magic component, etc) and substitute "magic" for "Gamma Radiation" and you have a superhero.

Google The Escapist website and look for the "Spellcasting 101: Don't try this at home" article.

If you look at it objectively, the possibility of any real "occult" stuff comes looking rather silly.

;)

Upvote 0

Rorshack

Jan 24, 2007
✟455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I fully understand the idea that some things, when taken too seriously and confused as being factual, can lead some people into an irrational world of evil, darkness and insanity.

However, I don't think RPGs (though I've admittedly never played one) are the main culprits here. I think religion is infinitely more dangerous when taken seriously, and far more people are led, through it, it's 'scriptures', leaders, communities and teachings into a world of darkness, hatred, evil and insanity where rational thought and common decency no longer mean anything.

However, I would suggest that for the sake of their own mental and pyhsical health, people maybe play them a little less. Of course, if you want to get rickets from lack of sunlight and go days on end without seeing another human being in the flesh, it's not for me to stop you. ;)

peace
http://www.crucifictiongames.com/
Is the site For Horror Rules. A game system started by a youth pastor for the children under his care. It teaches bravery and proper values.

Check it out

Upvote 0

TheNewAge

Non-prophet musician...
Oct 13, 2005
Oceanside, CA
✟1,530.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have personally seen it happen.

One of my friends (that I can call in any moments notice) played alot of D&D, and various similar video games particually a serious of games that goes through a time line of pagan alchemists.

He is now a pegan, and is thinking about using some from of modern alchemy as a career (Heh, I didn't even know such a field existed)

Those games and such lead up to it.
This is kinda like stacking the deck, yasic, and is intellectually dishonest. I am surprised to see you take this illogical stand after hearing so many brilliant arguments from you in the apologetics (or was it the C & E forum?) forum.

This is a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Did this friend already have a pre-established bent towards the occult and alternative spirituality to begin with? Did participating in RPG's cause him to dive into the occult, or did his tendency to do so lead him to RPG's?

I'll provide someone I knew from my youth as an example: I knew this friend in elem and high school who was personally hideous to behold (not vital to the story), but he was in my gifted child class-- we both have genius+ IQ's. We both played a LOT of D & D, Gamma World, and Battletech. He always wore black trenchcoats, carried swords, and spent a whole year making a suit of chainmail out of coat-hangers. He eventually ended up sleeping in a coffin that he made himself. He definitely "dove" into the occult, last I heard, he was a Wiccan grand-puba or something.

But did D & D cause him to go over the edge, or was he already headed there in the first place?

The same argument is used against marijuana all the time, that it is a gateway drug that leads to use of harder drugs. Not true. people who go on to harder drugs were already headed in that direction to begin with-- marijuana just happened to be the first stop along the way.

Upvote 0

RealSorceror

May 2, 2006
The 2nd layer of Baatar!
✟15,748.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm an avid role-player. I tend to spend around 8-10 hours with my friends every Saturday night playing D&D. Everyone in the group has a Christian background, and the majority of them are strong Christians.
Although the game is important to us, its no different than any other hobby, team sport, etc.
In case you haven't ever played D&D or a similiar game, its nothing more than a huge "geek-out". A bunch of nerdy kids get together, drink Mountain Dew, and make lued jokes about Kobolds and +1 battle axes. Playing the game is similiar to telling a story, except everyone tells their part of the story from their character's perspective.
The "spells" are nothing more than dice and numbers. Paper and pencil. "Real" magic is very dissimlair, involving rituals, meditation, candles, etc.
We are currently playing an "Evil Campaign", in which the players role-play characters who are "sinister and wicked". In other words, we are playing Hollywood super-villians, with cliche' schemes to take over the world. Any real wickness the characters commit is off-stage or comical. It doesn't even compare to more modern examples of evil-in-gaming, such as GTA.
In any event, RPGs are a far cry from actual occult practices, and I've seen no evidence that there is any crossover between the two.

Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I played D&D from the time I was 8 till my early 20's. My mom bought me my first D&D books when the game was recommended as a brain building form of entertainment. Plus I had a good friend who had spent the bulk of 2nd through 5th grade stuck at home while dealing with a serious heart condition. It gave us something we could do together that he was physically capable of.

What D&D did for myself and most of the people I played with was enable us to develop some level of social skills, while engaging in a mentally stimulating activity. I was and still am a geek. Socially awkward due to extreme shyness all my life, being put into a safe situation where I could act out encounters without fear of rejection helped me break out of my shell.

Just like any form of entertainment, if you obsess on it, it is unhealthy. But RPGs(pen and paper types) are no more prone to this than any other form, and less than some as they require too much inter-personal contact.

Upvote 0

Rorshack

Jan 24, 2007
✟455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm an avid role-player. I tend to spend around 8-10 hours with my friends every Saturday night playing D&D. Everyone in the group has a Christian background, and the majority of them are strong Christians.
Although the game is important to us, its no different than any other hobby, team sport, etc.
In case you haven't ever played D&D or a similiar game, its nothing more than a huge "geek-out". A bunch of nerdy kids get together, drink Mountain Dew, and make lued jokes about Kobolds and +1 battle axes. Playing the game is similiar to telling a story, except everyone tells their part of the story from their character's perspective.
The "spells" are nothing more than dice and numbers. Paper and pencil. "Real" magic is very dissimlair, involving rituals, meditation, candles, etc.
We are currently playing an "Evil Campaign", in which the players role-play characters who are "sinister and wicked". In other words, we are playing Hollywood super-villians, with cliche' schemes to take over the world. Any real wickness the characters commit is off-stage or comical. It doesn't even compare to more modern examples of evil-in-gaming, such as GTA.
In any event, RPGs are a far cry from actual occult practices, and I've seen no evidence that there is any crossover between the two.
Ok. My problem with DnD is the evil aligned characters. I like to play a Paladin, but often the other characters in the game will have evil alignments. Eventually the Palidin will have to confront them.
How does your saturday night game deal with that sort of thing?

I was just thinking of the game Paranoia. "Treachery in the party will not go unrewarded". The computer is your friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok. My problem with DnD is the evil aligned characters. I like to play a Paladin, but often the other characters in the game will have evil alignments. Eventually the Palidin will have to confront them.

I was just thinking of the game Paranoia. "Treachery in the party will not go unrewarded". The computer is your friend.

Well, my GM just banned evil characters. If people are really getting into the "role playing" aspect of the game, rather than just the "kick down the door and kill the monsters" aspect, than it is sort of a stretch of the imagination to think that Joan of Arc started working alongside Jesse James to begin with.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Its a made-up CHARACTER. :sigh:

How does playing an "evil aligned" character say anything about the person handling the character?

It doesn't say anything. Just like doing role playing in general DOES NOT mean you will start doing magick because some stories talk about "occult practices". In fact I think its highly unlikely anyone is going to start being pagan just because they played D&D 3rd edition.

Upvote 0

RealSorceror

May 2, 2006
The 2nd layer of Baatar!
✟15,748.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Generally, the DM aviods having a mixed party. In most games, only good and nuetral characters are allowed. In this "evil game", he only allows evil and nuetral characters. Generally, this allows everyone to aviod PvP situations, unless characters of the same alignment have clashing personalities or goals (which is happening a lot in one of our good aligned games). I play a necromancer in a good-aligned game. I'm loyal to the party members, and because I'm Lawful, I tend to aviod crime. It works out fine, but the Cleric isn't too happy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
D&D is fun, and is in no way in conflict with Christian ideals. In fact, is an excellent way to explore them.

I think it's an excellent way to explore morality in general. I have started trying to apply the D&D moral/ethics labels to real life, and, while not perfect, they're a very good start.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
D&D is fun, and is in no way in conflict with Christian ideals. In fact, is an excellent way to explore them.

I'd only say that D&D should be seen as neutral when it comes to Christianity or any other religion in that matter.

The actual content of the gamese themselves is up to the GM and the players.

Upvote 0

Rorshack

Jan 24, 2007
✟455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Its a made-up CHARACTER. :sigh:

How does playing an "evil aligned" character say anything about the person handling the character?
The pagan thing is a straw man argument.

I guess it role playing one vs Roll playing issue. I experienced a woman in one of my groups who had a borderline personality. She started to become her character.

Other than that, i find the concept of playing a monster, like a vampire, werewolf, or some other evil thing to be destructive even if the alleged purpose of the game is to hold on to the shreds of the characters humanity. The characters are doing evil things in the games. It is negative conditioning.

On the other hand I like Rorshach because even though he is a
psychopath, he is trying to do good according to his abilities.

I like to play good guys doing good things or fighting evil. :)

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
The pagan thing is a straw man argument.

I guess it role playing one vs Roll playing issue. I experienced a woman in one of my groups who had a borderline personality. She started to become her character.

Other than that, i find the concept of playing a monster, like a vampire, werewolf, or some other evil thing to be destructive even if the alleged purpose of the game is to hold on to the shreds of the characters humanity. The characters are doing evil things in the games. It is negative conditioning.

On the other hand I like Rorshach because even though he is a
psychopath, he is trying to do good according to his abilities.

I like to play good guys doing good things or fighting evil. :)

Somtimes it can be fun to play a bad guy.

That said you have to be really choosy about how you are a bad guy.

Badguy gang leader = killed by good guy after first hour playing.

Badguy who appears good and manipulates others to do evil = long game.

Upvote 0