BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I tried veganism for a while. The pluses are the food is good, healthy and cheap. But I have to have fat in my diet or I will fall off it spectacularly. Last time I ended up at Golden Coral having meatgasms. I'm searching for some kind of middle ground right now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I could never go vegan, nor vegetarian.

I've never been one to really follow any health diets, and I can't muster up enough sympathy to care about the animals I'm eating.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it has solid biblical backing, but nothing wrong with it from a biblical standpoint either. It's healthier when you're getting older in the years as well - so, good for him. Hope it works out like he plans. For some it does.
It someone can stick with it all their life. It's even heathier. Then waiting until they're older.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
pro-choice.
Meaning you don't want the mother to have a botched abortions. Like they did, when it was illegal. I don't agree with abortions, unless something wrong. But I know if they are illegal bad thing will happen. So they need to stay legal.

• Agree
Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I tried veganism for a while. The pluses are the food is good, healthy and cheap. But I have to have fat in my diet or I will fall off it spectacularly. Last time I ended up at Golden Coral having meatgasms. I'm searching for some kind of middle ground right now.
There's actually a middle way, called "mafism", which excludes only mammalian meat from the diet.

-

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you can make a good argument from the vegan perspective for being either pro life or pro choice, the pro life one just resonates better with me.
I also take the perspective that veganism is a term defining an ethical position, and am glad to hear that people are starting to adopt the term plant based when they are speaking of a diet undertaken for health reasons vs a lifestyle. It helps minimize confusion, and allows people to focus on common ground instead of getting hung up on differences...for instance many plant based diet followers don't have any concerns with wearing animal products, and many vegans are ok with the occasional (or not so occasional ) indulgence in vegan junk food like oreos

I'm coming pretty close to vegan, but entirely because of the health reasons and my body is no longer responding to certain kinds of foods (like red meat) well.

But I do have a couple friends on Facebook that are the in-your-face type of vegan about animal life. I know others who aren't so confrontational. I guess I don't have the association with "vegan" necessarily carrying all the connotations. All groups have their set of extremists.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm coming pretty close to vegan, but entirely because of the health reasons and my body is no longer responding to certain kinds of foods (like red meat) well.

But I do have a couple friends on Facebook that are the in-your-face type of vegan about animal life. I know others who aren't so confrontational. I guess I don't have the association with "vegan" necessarily carrying all the connotations. All groups have their set of extremists.
The worst thing about the in your face types is they just assume you agree with everything they say, and that you really are interested in talking about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The worst thing about the in your face types is they just assume you agree with everything they say, and that you really are interested in talking about it.

I see some comparisons about pigs and dogs and how we wouldn't eat dogs and I just want to post something about how certain countries do treat them the same - by eating them. But I restrain myself.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I see some comparisons about pigs and dogs and how we wouldn't eat dogs and I just want to post something about how certain countries do treat them the same - by eating them. But I restrain myself.
I just change the subject to something like "Have you tried the new restaurant?", or whatever.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'll be more interested to see what he has to say a year or 2 from now. It's way harder to stay being a vegan than to become one. I tried being a vegan then I was super hungry & bacon was right there.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll be more interested to see what he has to say a year or 2 from now. It's way harder to stay being a vegan than to become one. I tried being a vegan then I was super hungry & bacon was right there.
My experience has been different, it was a lot harder to be vegan the first few years than it is for me now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My experience has been different, it was a lot harder to be vegan the first few years than it is for me now.

How old were you when you became vegan? I tried it in a growth spurt I was starving all the time.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
How old were you when you became vegan? I tried it in a growth spurt I was starving all the time.
I was an adult :) No growth spurts anymore:) But I can eat like crazy, especially when I'm training a lot. I find its pretty easy to get plenty of calories as a vegan, too easy considering I love avocados, olives, beans, pasta, bread, and I cook with oils fairly often. I snack on a fairly high calories, protein bar quite often, and haven't failed to meet my protein requirements in the years I've been tracking my diet.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
One answer was they drank the water which had elements of human and animal waste. Yuck.

Some B-12 (and vitamin K) may be made in the human gut, especially if a person has intake of probiotic foods. Probiotic foods are relatively common in a lot of cultures: sauerkraut, pickles, etc.

I take B-12 just because I have so many stomach problems and I might have trouble absorbing it. I use a skin patch. For some people, such as the elderly or those with celiac or other gastrointestinal diseases, intake of B-12 through ordinary diet is not reliable. So this particular weakness of a vegan diet is not that significant: a lot more people should be taking B-12 supplements anyways (another one that can be unreliable to get through diet is vitamin D, and possibly vitamin K).

A vegan diet is also a common form of fasting in many traditional Christian churches (like the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox).

At one time in my life I was a vegan but now days I like eating fish and poultry. I don't eat cheese, not because I don't like it but because I have a food intolerance to it.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was an adult :) No growth spurts anymore:) But I can eat like crazy, especially when I'm training a lot. I find its pretty easy to get plenty of calories as a vegan, too easy considering I love avocados, olives, beans, pasta, bread, and I cook with oils fairly often. I snack on a fairly high calories, protein bar quite often, and haven't failed to meet my protein requirements in the years I've been tracking my diet.
Protein bars are incredibly helpful. I usually aim for one that has at least 10 grams of protein in it, preferably 20. That could be key if I ever try vegetarianism / veganism. For now, it's a great way to get something substantial in my stomach in the short time I have to do it at work. Protein drinks are also good (bonus if they have caffeine in 'em :D).

-

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Protein bars are incredibly helpful. I usually aim for one that has at least 10 grams of protein in it, preferably 20. That could be key if I ever try vegetarianism / veganism. For now, it's a great way to get something substantial in my stomach in the short time I have to do it at work. Protein drinks are also good (bonus if they have caffeine in 'em :D).

-
I'm a fan of Hammer nutrition vegan recovery bars...lots of protein and the chocolate peanut flavor is very tasty in my opinion. Clif builder bars, Vega bars and Pro bars are also good choice for vegan bars

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0