Jul 5, 2016
Southeast, USA
✟15,729.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Here's an article from the Washington Post talking about Rev. Franklin Graham becoming vegan. It talks about his transition, in which he decided to start eating vegan as a New Year's Resolution for primarily health reasons.

Why all Christians should go vegan

In his Twitter account, he does reference the Bible about being vegetarian, however, so one may assume it's not all about health.

"In the Bible, Daniel went on a vegetable diet & after 10 days his appearance was better than the others who hadn’t. "- Franklin Graham

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
cow451 said:
Makes me think about how good a nice filet mignon would be right now.
Okay, Cow, we agree on something. Except it's only 1345 where I live, a little early for that.

Yeah, vegetarian/vegan eating is probably healthy in many ways. One can live a long time without meat or eggs or bacon. Presuming that can be called living.

More power to Brother Graham. Doesn't mean I have to model my life on his.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, Cow, we agree on something. Except it's only 1345 where I live, a little early for that.

Yeah, vegetarian/vegan eating is probably healthy in many ways. One can live a long time without meat or eggs or bacon. Presuming that can be called living.

More power to Brother Graham. Doesn't mean I have to model my life on his.
Just hope he takes B12 supplements.

Which in modern society is easy to get from supplements.

I once asked a dietician how vegan cultures got their B12 in ancient times.

One answer was they drank the water which had elements of human and animal waste. Yuck.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,247,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only thing that keeps me from seriously pursuing a vegan or vegetarian diet is that I would find myself hungry all the time. I would have to eat constantly. In my current line of work, we only get a 15-minute break every 2.5-3 hours, and, unlike a desk-job, we aren't permitted to eat at our registers, so the convenience of grazing is out. If I eat something, it's gotta stick with me for at least 3 hours. For breaks I'll do a protein bar and protein drink, so that's all good. But before arriving to work, I load up on eggs, butter, sausage, which sticks with me longer than if I had a smoothie or even quinoa (which is yummy too). I've found that meats and fats are more satisfying than fruits, grains, and veggies. Plus, the former has played a significant role in low-carb-high-fat (LCHF) diets, which has been reported to have reversed diabetes in those who have it.

Now if I ever land a desk-job again, that could open things up a bit where I could graze throughout the day and keep the hunger-pangs at bay that way without having to resort to meat, and I could experiment with vegetarian / vegan options.

-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟38,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's an article from the Washington Post talking about Rev. Franklin Graham becoming vegan. It talks about his transition, in which he decided to start eating vegan as a New Year's Resolution for primarily health reasons.

Why all Christians should go vegan

In his Twitter account, he does reference the Bible about being vegetarian, however, so one may assume it's not all about health.

"In the Bible, Daniel went on a vegetable diet & after 10 days his appearance was better than the others who hadn’t. "- Franklin Graham

I truly hope he didn't cite Daniel as the basis for his diet.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟876,594.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why should I be the least bit interested in Franklin Graham's eating habits?
...sez the guy who's about to devour a live pig in his avatar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...sez the guy who's about to devour a live pig in his avatar.

rolling.gif

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Southeast, USA
✟15,729.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, nobody's perfect.

:D Thanks for the laugh!

Makes me think about how good a nice filet mignon would be right now.

I know you're joking, and that's your right. But I can't deny it doesn't sadden me when I'm in a discussion about leaving animals off the plate and someone inevitably makes a joke. Especially when I'm talking to Christians. These are God's creatures, and whether you choose to eat them or not, I wish you wouldn't make light of it.

I've considered a vegan/vegetarian diet, but I am not ready to give up meat at this point.

Cool. Yeah, I'm coming up on a year of being vegan after being omnivore. It took a few hard lessons for me to really change. It's ingrained in our society and we're raised to eat it, so it's difficult to change. But good luck and if you ever decide you want to try it, feel free to PM me for any advice.

Just hope he takes B12 supplements.

Which in modern society is easy to get from supplements.

I once asked a dietician how vegan cultures got their B12 in ancient times.

One answer was they drank the water which had elements of human and animal waste. Yuck.

He seems to be doing it for health, so I'm sure he's read up on how to be healthy while being vegan. If he doesn't stick with it, he should be fine as B12 stores in our body take a long time (years, apparently) to deplete.

The dietician wasn't wrong, but she wasn't all the way right either. B12 is from bacteria- a few different strains- and here's the deal about B12 in veg vs animal foods: Today, people are so clean with their produce that it's usually washed a time or two before we consume it. In times before modern hygiene, the bacteria from the dirt that plants grew in would be consumed in small amounts, so B12 wasn't a problem.

If you think about it, where do the animals we eat get B12? Well, they're mammals like us (the cows and pigs, anyway), and they don't produce it on their own (neither do the chickens), so they get it from eating plants low to the ground (in the case of pigs, rooting; cows, grazing; chickens, pecking). However today, they are not out doing their thing, they're in close confines and frequently on concrete floors- but they do get B12 shots. (B Complex Plus for Cattle, Swine and Sheep AgriLabs ( - Goat Sheep - Nutrition - Vitamins Minerals)) So that's where they get their B12, and where non-vegans and non-vegetarians get theirs. We both supplement, it's just some of us do it directly. ;)

Wow! I'm in shock but pleasantly surprised! Way to go Reverend Graham! Not only is he saving water for the earth, saving the forestation of the earth and saving his health, he is showing compassion!

I was so excited to read about that! He's tweeting about it daily too, with photos of his meals. He's doing a great thing for his body and hopefully he'll be able to get healthy like he wants. The plant-based (vegan) diet is so good for preventing disease and keeping off extra pounds as well.

Why should I be the least bit interested in Franklin Graham's eating habits?

I suggest you don't click on a thread that doesn't interest you. Problem solved. Try it sometime. ;)

The only thing that keeps me from seriously pursuing a vegan or vegetarian diet is that I would find myself hungry all the time. I would have to eat constantly. In my current line of work, we only get a 15-minute break every 2.5-3 hours, and, unlike a desk-job, we aren't permitted to eat at our registers, so the convenience of grazing is out. If I eat something, it's gotta stick with me for at least 3 hours. For breaks I'll do a protein bar and protein drink, so that's all good. But before arriving to work, I load up on eggs, butter, sausage, which sticks with me longer than if I had a smoothie or even quinoa (which is yummy too). I've found that meats and fats are more satisfying than fruits, grains, and veggies. Plus, the former has played a significant role in low-carb-high-fat (LCHF) diets, which has been reported to have reversed diabetes in those who have it.

Now if I ever land a desk-job again, that could open things up a bit where I could graze throughout the day and keep the hunger-pangs at bay that way without having to resort to meat, and I could experiment with vegetarian / vegan options.

-

Hey, just curious, but what makes you think you have to eat all day long? Have you tried it before? I know there's this myth that vegans are just grazing all day, but that's not true. I eat 3 meals a day, with an afternoon snack and an evening dessert. I'm rarely hungry, unless I skip my afternoon snack and wait too long before eating dinner.

Eating whole grains, legumes, and lots of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds keeps me satisfied.

Here's an example of what I eat on a regular day:
bagel1.jpg Breakfast: toasted raisin cinnamon bagel (whole grains, fiber and antioxidants) with dairy-free butter (made of cultured cashews) and dairy-free cream 'cheese' (made of a blend of silken tofu, so it has lots of protein) , topped with ground flaxseed (omega-3 source) and fresh blueberries (fiber and antioxidants). And two small navel oranges (lots of fiber, iron, and vitamin C).
IMG_5186.jpg Lunch: spinach (lots of folate, iron, calcium, and fiber) salad with red onions, roasted cashews (protein and healthy fats), pickled okra (just for fun!), and a vinaigrette dressing (omega 3s). Another sliced orange, and a BBQ pulled porkless sandwich pocket (10 grams of protein).

food5.jpg Snack: Apple, peanut butter (protein and healthy fats), and beanito lime chips (protein, fiber, and grains).

dinner.jpg Dinner: yellow squash, vegetarian chili (tasty, tasty protein), collard greens (folate, iron, calcium, fiber) and mac and 'cheese' with peas, carrots, and bell peppers.
dessert.jpg Dessert: Chocolate 'cream cheese' cake (non-dairy, just plain tasty, no cholesterol!), with almond-milk ice cream, chocolate sauce, and a few fresh cherries (antioxidants, fiber, vitamins).

That daily amount of food keeps me satisfied, never hungry, and gives me 75 grams of protein (171% of how much I need daily).

I truly hope he didn't cite Daniel as the basis for his diet.

Oh he didn't. That was one tweet out of his many. A whole foods plant-based diet is very healthy, allows you to lose weight, lower cholesterol without meds, decreases risk of many diseases. If anyone is interested, I suggest checking out a few books: 'Forks Over Knives' (it's also a documentary on Netflix), 'The China Study', and 'How Not to Die' to learn about the health aspects of a plant-based diet.

Well, that's one think Franklin Graham and I have in common, although I've been at it for a wee bit longer.

True! How long have you been vegan? I'm coming up on my first year soon, and am so excited!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟38,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh he didn't. That was one tweet out of his many.

If it was one tweet then he did That's disappointing to me as that passage not only has nothing to do with dieting but says that Daniel gained weight not lost weight.

People who cite that passage as the basis for their diet clearly haven't read the passage.

There was actually a popular book out a couple of years ago called "The Daniel Diet" and gullible Biblically ignorant Christians were eager to get in on the latest fad

A whole foods plant-based diet is very healthy, allows you to lose weight, lower cholesterol without meds, decreases risk of many diseases. If anyone is interested, I suggest checking out a few books: 'Forks Over Knives' (it's also a documentary on Netflix), 'The China Study', and 'How Not to Die' to learn about the health aspects of a plant-based diet.

It's not the diet I have a problem with. It's the idea of butchering a passage of scripture to defend it.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Southeast, USA
✟15,729.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
If it was one tweet then he did That's disappointing to me as that passage not only has nothing to do with dieting but says that Daniel gained weight not lost weight.

People who cite that passage as the basis for their diet clearly haven't read the passage.

There was actually a popular book out a couple of years ago called "The Daniel Diet" and gullible Biblically ignorant Christians were eager to get in on the latest fad

It's not the diet I have a problem with. It's the idea of butchering a passage of scripture to defend it.

I know what you mean. I heard about the Daniel Diet and what was the other one? Some kind of fasting thing.

Yeah, I don't think this is what this is all about for him. I don't really see talking about that particular scripture as butchering it in his case. I mean, if you want to see for yourself, read his tweets. I just quoted the one where he mentioned the Bible. None of the others do, and anyway, though he is doing this with the goal of losing weight, there are lots of reasons people eat plant-based, for me it's compassion, a calling, and it's just plain logical.

For example, he isn't basing his diet on the Bible or trying to show that the Bible suggests doing it. He merely tweeted it out to go along with some of his other tweets about eating plant-based. I really don't see how that's butchering it, though I do think The Daniel Diet is kind of ... not butchering it, but using the Bible in a strange way, maybe for innocent reasons, but then they also sold books, so you know.

I'm trying to see where you're coming with in thinking it's butchering it to mention it, that's all. I guess where I'm coming from, if he tried to twist it around and say everyone should do it, maybe then it would be more close to what you're suggesting. But he didn't do that. He didn't even suggest anyone else do it.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟38,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean. I heard about the Daniel Diet and what was the other one? Some kind of fasting thing.

Yeah, I don't think this is what this is all about for him. I don't really see talking about that particular scripture as butchering it in his case. I mean, if you want to see for yourself, read his tweets. I just quoted the one where he mentioned the Bible. None of the others do, and anyway, though he is doing this with the goal of losing weight, there are lots of reasons people eat plant-based, for me it's compassion, a calling, and it's just plain logical.

For example, he isn't basing his diet on the Bible or trying to show that the Bible suggests doing it. He merely tweeted it out to go along with some of his other tweets about eating plant-based. I really don't see how that's butchering it, though I do think The Daniel Diet is kind of ... not butchering it, but using the Bible in a strange way, maybe for innocent reasons, but then they also sold books, so you know.

I'm trying to see where you're coming with in thinking it's butchering it to mention it, that's all. I guess where I'm coming from, if he tried to twist it around and say everyone should do it, maybe then it would be more close to what you're suggesting. But he didn't do that. He didn't even suggest anyone else do it.

Whatever. I'm not going to bicker with you about this.

Upvote 0