Refusing to be vaccinated against Covid-19 is a ’sin’ & anti-vaxxers must spend their life repenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes. We should not be.

Tell that to the more than four million who have died from this virus. I plan to live out the full life span that God has allotted me. I won't let my own ignorance, stupidity, arrogance, etc. -- in other words, my sin -- kill me.

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Tell that to the more than four million who have died from this virus. I plan to live out the full life span that God has allotted me. I won't let my own ignorance, stupidity, arrogance, etc. -- in other words, my sin -- kill me.

Tell that to God.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the relevance of this. Are you saying that we shouldn't be afraid of dying from COVID-19?
I think that this passage means that we must have our priorities in order. Today I read the daily Gospel Reading in Church aloud before all present, and that Gospel lesson was Matthew 6:22-33. This lesson ends with teaching us that we must first seek the Kingdom of God, without worrying or being anxious about our lives, and allow everything else to be taken care of for us by God. Gentiles worry about their bodies. Believers in the One True God abstain from such worries by the grace of the Holy Spirit and by striving to keep all of the Lord Jesus Christ's commandments.

I'm not afraid of dying from Covid-19. I'm only afraid of being unprepared for my death, by whatever means it comes, by lack of repentance for all of my sinfulness, which repentance is also, by the way, powered by the grace of the Holy Spirit.

Nowadays, it seems to us, most people believe more strongly in science and human medicine than in the saving power of God. This has been our observation. It's a thing we ought to worry about more than catching a physical disease - no matter how deadly.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I won't let my own ignorance, stupidity, arrogance, etc. -- in other words, my sin -- kill me.
You are implying that those who have made an informed decision not to be injected with an untested, experimental gene therapy which has already caused many deaths and long term complications in a growing number of people, are ingnorant, stupid and arrogant. I can assure you that I am neither ignorant nor stupid nor arrogant. Enjoy your bubble.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The sin is thinking about yourself instead of thinking about other people."

Yes, this is the sin. It's not the only sin. Getting vaxxed out of selfishness is sinful too. These things must be discerned with a spiritual father:

For the record, Met. Hilarion will probably be the next Patriarch of Moscow. Hopefully he won't bring his ecumenist and universalist liberalism with him. He has changed his convictions on these recently so he may change his convictions again.

• Prayers
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So for the anti-vaxxers, here is a question. If you get Covid and pass it on to someone who is immunocompromised, for example someone who is undergoing chemotherapy, and it does kill them, do you have any responsibility for their death?

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In his address to physicians on the ethical questions surrounding the transplant of human organs, Saint Pope John Paul II taught: 1) the Church does not claim expertise in medical technology, and 2) the medical community's obligation to properly inform individuals.

These points, I think, have applicability as principles to guide the individual's decision to submit to the Covid-19 vaccines.

[T]he Church does not make technical decisions. She limits herself to the Gospel duty of comparing the data offered by medical science with the Christian understanding of the unity of the person, bringing out the similarities and the possible conflicts capable of endangering respect for human dignity. ...
This first point has an immediate consequence of great ethical import: the need for informed consent. The human "authenticity" of such a decisive gesture requires that individuals be properly informed about the processes involved, in order to be in a position to consent or decline in a free and conscientious manner.

ADDRESS OF THE HOLY FATHER JOHN PAUL II
TO THE 18th INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS
OF THE TRANSPLANTATION SOCIETY
Tuesday 29 August 2000

As of today, I am not yet properly informed.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So for the anti-vaxxers, here is a question. If you get Covid and pass it on to someone who is immunocompromised, for example someone who is undergoing chemotherapy, and it does kill them, do you have any responsibility for their death?
I don't know anyone personally who is an "anti-vaxxer". This and the flu shot are the only shots (well, I've refused the shingles shot recently just because I don't think I need it..which is why I refused the others). I took my tetanus shot a couple months ago because I was due. I've had all the other shots throughout my life. It's not anti-vax to question the safety of a rushed, non-vaccine. I understand why people with compromised immune systems chose to take it to lessen symptoms if they do get sick. Make sense to me. Your question doesn't really make much sense considering most people who are immune compromised have already taken the "vaccine".

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"The sin is thinking about yourself instead of thinking about other people."

Yes, this is the sin. It's not the only sin. Getting vaxxed out of selfishness is sinful too. These things must be discerned with a spiritual father:

For the record, Met. Hilarion will probably be the next Patriarch of Moscow. Hopefully he won't bring his ecumenist and universalist liberalism with him. He has changed his convictions on these recently so he may change his convictions again.
Depends on if he's part of the new crew Christ is planning after WWIII.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We need to do all we can to deal with COVID 19 and, exceptions aside, promote vaccination. For the state of our souls and salvation, Matthew 10:28 needs to always be remembered.
There are medications/therapies that work against Covid, and they should be permitted to be used. In this case, they are safer, imo, than the shot. They've been around for decades with little side effects.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you are in cancer treatment: Vaccinations and Flu Shots | Vaccinations During Cancer Treatment

It’s generally recommended that vaccines not be given during chemo or radiation treatments – the only exception to this is the flu shot. This is mainly because vaccines need an immune system response to work, and you may not get an adequate response during cancer treatment.​

Therefore if you get Covid, you are already in a weakened state. Obviously, they do their best to stay away from unhealthy people, but since Covid can be asymptomatic, they could be unknowingly exposed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

No, assuming such responsibility would be an effects topical fallacy - at the least. Significant logical hurdles would be present in the assumption for this reason alone. Moral emotionalism is not moral reason and ambiguous causal strings require justifications for each link.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if your guilt tripping encourages a 17 year old with little chance of covid complications to get a vaccine which we find out 7 years from now will end up giving him heart disease in his 40s, do you have any responsibility?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you are in cancer treatment: Vaccinations and Flu Shots | Vaccinations During Cancer Treatment

It’s generally recommended that vaccines not be given during chemo or radiation treatments – the only exception to this is the flu shot. This is mainly because vaccines need an immune system response to work, and you may not get an adequate response during cancer treatment.​

Therefore if you get Covid, you are already in a weakened state. Obviously, they do their best to stay away from unhealthy people, but since Covid can be asymptomatic, they could be unknowingly exposed.
Having the 'vaccine' does not prevent a person from catching COVID and spreading it to others, it merely supposedly gives the person a better chance to fight the disease and recover quickly, so a 'vaccinated' person could unknowingly infect someone immune compromised out of a false sense of believing they could not possibly catch the disease. I take every caution to minimise contact with other people and would be especially cautious around someone undergoing chemo etc., whereas someone who has taken the jab will likely be less so because they believe themselves to be in the clear.
I'm an electrician. I always work on the assumption that the circuits I am working on are "live" even when I know they have been isolated, but I am always more alert when the circuit actually is live. When the danger is apparent you are simply more cautious. I act the same way regarding COVID. I fear that many who have been 'vaccinated' no longer see the danger as apparent when it is still very much so despite their jab, so they will think it is safe for them to circulate and potentially spread the disease unwittingly.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Having the 'vaccine' does not prevent a person from catching COVID and spreading it to others, it merely supposedly gives the person a better chance to fight the disease and recover quickly, so a 'vaccinated' person could unknowingly infect someone immune compromised out of a false sense of believing they could not possibly catch the disease. I take every caution to minimise contact with other people and would be especially cautious around someone undergoing chemo etc., whereas someone who has taken the jab will likely be less so because they believe themselves to be in the clear.
I'm an electrician. I always work on the assumption that the circuits I am working on are "live" even when I know they have been isolated, but I am always more alert when the circuit actually is live. When the danger is apparent you are simply more cautious. I act the same way regarding COVID. I fear that many who have been 'vaccinated' no longer see the danger as apparent when it is still very much so despite their jab, so they will think it is safe for them to circulate and potentially spread the disease unwittingly.
... like last month when I thought I remembered opening a circuit breaker feeding the circuit I was working on and found out otherwise when I confidently and wholeheartedly grabbed the cluster of black wires to begin separating them. I was absolutely certain I was not going to be shocked, until I received perhaps one of the most solid jolts ever (well it definitely ranks in the top 5 so far, I think). My right hand still vividly remembers what it felt like.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

We still wear masks in stores precisely for that reason. The only time we go unmasked with other people is with a small group of friends who have also been vaccinated. We still encourage people to wear masks at church although it is no longer required.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.