Radiometric dating

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Salvaging something I wrote for the fairytale forum, that received practically zero replies and was killed when the forum was magically deleted. I thought I would post it for some of our new creationists, though I fear it is too long of a read for some of the more hyper ones.

Radiometric dating

Radiometric dating being false is a very important part of the young earth view, since it provides evidence that the earth is much older than 6000 years old. I thought I would go over a general complaint and two of the more famous methods, Carbon 14 (C-14) and Potassium-Argon (K-Ar).

Assumptions

First lets talk about the all encompassing assumptions. Creationist groups assert that there are certain assumptions that must be accepted before one can accept the dates given by radiometric dating. Now, when doing anything there are certain assumptions that we must accept, and you accept a huge amount every time you wake up or turn on your computer. The thing is whether these assumptions are baseless or not. If there is support to make these assumptions then we can trust them. Here they are,
"To derive ages from such measurements, unprovable assumptions have to be made such as:

•The starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much was there).
•Decay rates have always been constant.
•Systems were closed or isolated so that no parent or daughter isotopes were lost or added."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/carbon_dating.asp

•The first assumption is only valid for certain dating methods to begin with and differs depending on the method. It's relation with the two methods I will be discussing will be addressed later.

•The second assumption can be looked for. Decay produces by products such as heat. For decay rates to have changed enough for the earth to be 6000 years old, they would need to have increased over 750,000 times. This huge change would have most likely produced tell tale signs, scaring the earth in many places and the hurting or killing plants and animals. Possibly even creating a nuclear explosion, at least one natural nuclear reactor has been discovered in Oklo. It's reactions and speed are consistent with standard decay rates, if the rates were increased by enough it could lower critical mass and may have caused an explosion. So far, no evidence of this huge change has been found.
There is also no known way to adjust alpha decay. So far only one way has been found for beta decay and it is irrelevant in this discussion. It is possible for beta decay to be increased by application of a huge amount of heat and pressure, the amount is so huge it may not even exist at the center of the earth. Many beta decay dating methods (such as K-Ar) get reset if they become hot enough to melt the rocks, so this type of beta decay increase can't effect methods such as K-Ar.

•This appears to be the rehashing of the first assumption.

Carbon-14 Dating

How it works.
C-14 is produced in the atmosphere at a rather constant rate. It is absorbed into plants and animals eat those plants absorbing their C-14. When the plant or animal dies it's absorption of C-14 stops and the C-14 in it's system sits there decaying. C-14 has a half life of a bit under 6000 years. The ratio of C-14 to C-12 in an animal is compared to the ratio of C-14 to C-12 in the atmosphere which gives us information about how long the C-14 has been decaying.
Now, the first question that is always asked is, How do we know what the ratio of C-14 to C-12 was a couple thousand years ago. Not a bad question. This is the reason why C-14 had to be calibrated. There are multiple ways to calibrate C-14, two are tree rings and ice-cores. Ice-cores hold the added benefit that they have actually trapped air in them allowing for it's ratio to be compared to the layers and for both to be compared to tree-rings and other dating methods.

There are two different ways to check the amount of C-14 in a sample.
The traditional technique which detects radiation from the decay of C-14 in the sample, the number of decays compared to the amount of time can give the amount of C-14 in a sample, it can be insensitive which limits it's abilities.
The mass-spectrometric technique is much more accurate although more expensive, and is relatively new. In the Mass-spectrometric technique individual C-14 atoms are counted.
The traditional technique can date back to 20,000 - 30,000 year and the Mass spec technique can theoretically date back 100,000 but in practice it is often limited to 50,000 years.

Arguments Against

Incorrect dating.

There are some arguments about incorrect dating that have been floating around for awhile, living seals, certain snails, mollusks being dated as being a couple thousand years old. Some sites even get the number wrong and claim they were dated to a couple million.

So far every incorrect dating I have seen the answer is always the same. You can't date organisms that get their C-14 from the water. C-14 dating is based on the ratio of C-12 to C-14 in the air, since the water ratios are different C-14 dating can't be used on them.
It is also important to mention that it is hard to date samples 50 years or younger because the modern world has changed the ratio in the atmosphere, requiring adjustments and calibrations.

Dating in Conflict.
In this argument AiG claims that wood that was found in sandstone which is supposably millions of years old dates to 36,440 years BP ± 330 years when carbon dated and thus one of the dating methods is wrong. The full article can be read here, http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i2/dating.asp

I have commented on the whole article before (on other forums) so I will just simplify it here. They don't mention in the article that they used the traditional technique, nor do they mention the limitations of that technique. In the traditional technique the radiation from the C-14 is counted, but the problem is that it is impossible to get a radiation free environment. Things such as the cosmic background produce noise in the results. So at a certain point background radiation becomes stronger than the decay and is measured instead. That point happens at around 20,000 - 30,000 years. The lab will generally send back the dates given no matter what, since they don't know what your experiment is as they expect you to understand the limitations.
So a date of of 36,440 should be treated as an undetermined age because of background radiation. A sample that is millions of years old would be expected to give these results and thus there isn't any conflict.

Carbon dating carbon.
In this argument coal and fossil fuels have been data using the Mass Spec method and were given an age. If the coal and fossil fuels are as old as geology claims, they shouldn't have any C-14 left in them.

This is an interesting argument that is actually relevant to current science. The C-14 dating of coal deposits vary greatly, some seem to have a lot of C-14 while others date at the expected no C-14 levels. There has been a question of why for sometime. It appears the answer is the uranium-thorium isotope series. It's decay is causing new C-14 in the old deposits. A correlation has been found between the the amount of C-14 in a deposit and the amount of radioactive isotopes such as uranium-thorium isotopes is the surrounding rock.
This is important to current science because fossil fuels are used in the detection of neutrinos and a very clean sample of fossil fuels with very little C-14 needs to be used, so research into this problem has shown them where to look

More about this can be read here,
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/c14.html

Fossilized wood dates young.
This appears to be a newer type of dating in conflict. A piece of "wood" which is supposably a couple hundred million years old was dated using the Mass spec technique and dated to only 33,000 years, so one or both of the dates is wrong.

The sample was most likely not wood at all but iron concretion in a structure that resembled wood and is rather porous. Past studies of iron concretion shows that it absorbs C-13 from the surrounding soil and that it isn't a closed system allowing for C-14 to be added to it after formation.

More info here,
http://gondwanaresearch.com/hp/crefaqs.htm#who

One of the problems with Mass spec dating is that as we date further and further back in time the amount of contamination needed to effect the final date. Because it is very hard to make sure all contamination (including from the soil itself, such as the last example) is gone it puts a cap on how far back C-14 can effectively date samples.

K-Ar dating

How it works.
Potassium-Argon dating can date samples much much older than carbon dating and works on rocks instead of the fossils themselves. Potassium 40 decays into calcium 40 and argon 40 in a known ratio. The ratio of potassium in a rock compared to the argon 40 can be used to tell how long the potassium has been decaying. Since argon is a gas most of it escapes when the rock melts and so the clock starts after the rock hardens again. Making K-Ar great for dating lava flows. The very long half life of Potassium 40 makes it great for dating very old samples but not too good for young samples.

Argument Against
Although there are multiple versions of this argument there is basically one kind of argument against K-Ar dating. The argument is K-Ar dating assumes that there is no excess or parentless argon trapped in the rock and that all the argon comes from the decay. This isn't always true as young samples of known age have been found that date old, most likely from excess argon. If a sample that is young can date old, how can we know if samples that date old are really old or just contain excess argon. Thus the method is ineffective.

This is actually one of the reasons why young samples aren't dated using this method because excess argon can effect the results, where as in older samples it is statistically negligible. However, they do have a point. Studies show that statistically parentless argon is very rare, although picking very young samples or samples that have a high rate of contamination increases these odds. Parentless argon is assumed to not exist in a perfect sample, but things aren't always perfect.
The short answer is Ar-Ar dating. Not only can Ar-Ar dating be used to double check the dates given by K-Ar, it can be used to effectively date younger samples than K-Ar and the most important (as far as this is concerned) thing it can do is check for parentless argon in a sample. Unfortunately AiG likes to group Ar-Ar with K-Ar and ignore it, but it could answer some of their questions. Ar-Ar can be used to either date the sample or check it for excess argon, although it is more expensive many geologists have been using Ar-Ar more.

W Jay Schroeder

Quaker Man
Jan 19, 2005
✟798.00
Faith
Christian
I have a question about this statement. " A sample that is millions of years old would be expected to give these results and thus there is no conflict." It is about radiation background noise. How do they get this figure. Or the amount of radiation to where it makes this problem and how did they amke it fit there ages. And i was wondering if they ever mention what strata layer the rock comes from at any point in getting the date. How do they know for certain the decay rate has never changed.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
They get the radiation background noise by running the test with no sample in it. The radiation emitted and dates given would then be from surrounding radiation and not a sample.

I'm not sure what your second question means. AiG mentions the strata that the sample was found in but I don't believe they told the lab doing the C-14 dating.

As I said in the post there would be observable marks on the past of decays rates were different. One thing I didn't mention is that we could probably see changes in star outputs.
Speaking of this, one thing I forgot to change is the bit about beta decay. The point was made in the original thread by someone else that the research showing changes in beta decay was shakey and had errors in it.

W Jay Schroeder said:
I have a question about this statement. " A sample that is millions of years old would be expected to give these results and thus there is no conflict." It is about radiation background noise. How do they get this figure. Or the amount of radiation to where it makes this problem and how did they amke it fit there ages. And i was wondering if they ever mention what strata layer the rock comes from at any point in getting the date. How do they know for certain the decay rate has never changed.

Upvote 0

W Jay Schroeder

Quaker Man
Jan 19, 2005
✟798.00
Faith
Christian
Arikay said:
They get the radiation background noise by running the test with no sample in it. The radiation emitted and dates given would then be from surrounding radiation and not a sample.

I'm not sure what your second question means. AiG mentions the strata that the sample was found in but I don't believe they told the lab doing the C-14 dating.

As I said in the post there would be observable marks on the past of decays rates were different. One thing I didn't mention is that we could probably see changes in star outputs.
Speaking of this, one thing I forgot to change is the bit about beta decay. The point was made in the original thread by someone else that the research showing changes in beta decay was shakey and had errors in it.
My question was do they(evolutionist) tell them what strata it came from. The other one was the amount of radiation in it and how it causes the problems.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
First question:
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They lab they send the samples to is just there for processing, so knowing the samples location isn't a must. Although some labs will refuse to process samples that come from areas that are known for contamination.

I don't think I understand your second question.

W Jay Schroeder said:
My question was do they(evolutionist) tell them what strata it came from. The other one was the amount of radiation in it and how it causes the problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zeontes

May 2, 2004
✟574.00
Faith
With my limited knowledge of particle physics I will give you a laymans view of why decay rates do not change. A decay rate is based upon the stability of an atom. The stability of an atom is based upon the relationship of the particles within the atom. C14 has extra stuff in it Newtrons (not oldtrons, just trying to be funny dont get your shorts in a knot!)

Ok, I'll be serious the atomosphere gets hit with a cosmic ray, producing a fast moving neutron. Because the atmosphere is 80% Nitrogen this neutron will impact N more often than not. Once it is absorbed into the nucleus of a Nitrogen atom which has 7 protons and 7 neutrons. When the neutron strikes the nucleus it knocks out a proton turning the Nitrogen into Carbon. Not regular carbon which is contains 6 protons and 6 neutrons, but carbon 14, 6 protons and 8 neutrons. The C14 protons and neutrons are not evenly distributed and eventually the extra neutron gets bumped out. How long that this takes until the Carbon 14 decays is determined by when it is pushed out by the combination of forces within the nucleus.

For a macro example think of comets hitting a planet, the planets are like protons and the comet is like the extra neutron. A comet can dance around the sun and never hit a planet for a very long time, but we watched one hit Jupiter a few years ago, by the combination of forces within the solar system. That is similar to what happens inside the nucleus of the atom, sometimes the neutron is sent packing in a short period of time sometimes a neutron will happily dance around inside the nucleus for thousands of years.

The rate of decay is based on the average of the number of these neutrons that are thrown out of the nucleus over a given period. Science has made a lot of effort to ensure the accuracy of the rate. Both mathematically and through actual testing over an extended period of time watching the individual atoms changing. The half life is the length of time it takes for half of the C14 atoms to kick out their extra neutrons. There are some wonderful sites on the web that will explain this much better than me. But that is the way I see it as an old farmboy. The adjustments or calibration of the dates derived from from C14 tests have to deal with the changing amount of radiation that the earth receives, which determines how much C14 is produced.

The fact is that they have done a great service to all of us thinking through the what-ifs. I have yet to see an argument hold water against this science that made any sense, once you think your way all of the way through it.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much was there).
Decay rates have always been constant.
Systems were closed or isolated so that no parent or daughter isotopes were lost or added."

Another assumption I think would be that before death and decay entered the world, things were different. The process was not one of decay (by itself at least). In other words the spiritual and the physical worked or exixted together. The result was that the processes worked differently than after the 'split', when the physical was left on it's own, decaying and dying. A case in point, the sun would burn out after so much time, as it now works.
Well, you aked me to visit your thread, so there it is.

Upvote 0
C

Cassandra

Fear said:
(BTW great post, not that I read it, but it must be great because it's so long)

Duude...it's the spacing that does it. And the use of URLs. Doesn't have to be a link...you just see that orange font and you assume some research went into the post.

I can't say I'm surprised there aren't more takers...good post, Ari. Hopefully someone will learn from it ^^

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
1) To show that scientists are making the assumption that the fall didn't happen, you need to provide evidence that it did happen. You need to provide evidence that it isn't an unreasonable assumption. You have not done so.
The reason you need to provide evidence that it isn't an unreasonable assumption is because everything and everyone makes assumptions, which is ok as long as they are reasonable assumptions. When you put on a hat you make the reasonable assumption that the hats mass or the laws of gravity wont change, turning it into a white dwarf, crushing you between it and and the earth.

2) so is that it?
You keep making claims in another thread, can you not support them?
I think this is a reason many people here don't take creationists seriously. Lots of big claims that turn out to be empty. When they aren't empty they are copy and pastes.
I would hope that if you can't back up your claim, you will stop making it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1) To show that scientists are making the assumption that the fall didn't happen, you need to provide evidence that it did happen. You need to provide evidence that it isn't an unreasonable assumption. You have not done so.
It happened a long time ago! Long before we had science. The bible and prayer work, and have proved to do many miracles, and fulfilled prophesies, why wouldn't the creation acount also be true? If someone thinks they have proof it isn't, they'd give it.
The aspect I theorize that affected dating was the split. To prove there was no spirit split from the physical, or that there was, you would need to be adept at a knowledge of the spirit universe. You aren't, science is not, so how can they tell what the effects of the split were?
You need to provide evidence that it isn't an unreasonable assumption.
The same is true of where granny and the creator speck sized creator of the universe came from! At least I have a world of witnesses that there is a spirit world. I also have a historical document that is proved by unquestionable fulfilled prophesy, and millions of changed lives, healings, answered prayer, miracles etc. Real evidence. The spirit world isn't emphirical! You can't expect to see in a box of physical only evidence!
So, yes the process is documented to be different, and the spirit world has real proof, unlike as I say, where granny bacteria, or the speck came from-no proof there, they don't even know! It is simply believed.
Science of the physical only is overruled. Call God unreasonable those who will, but deal with it

Upvote 0

kahri

PhD in Blasphemy
Nov 4, 2004
✟752.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
Another assumption I think would be that before death and decay entered the world, things were different. The process was not one of decay (by itself at least). In other words the spiritual and the physical worked or exixted together. The result was that the processes worked differently than after the 'split', when the physical was left on it's own, decaying and dying. A case in point, the sun would burn out after so much time, as it now works.
Well, you aked me to visit your thread, so there it is.

eViDense PlZ.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I assume that means you have no evidence to support your claims that C-14 is invalid because it is based on certain assumptions.
Lots of evidence for a spirit world, and that decay was different then, as well as later. None science choses to accept. Evidence that fits into the fossil record, the flood, the cosmos, and creation. Now that's the big factor. That knocks out anything past 6000 years, and cannot be proved wrong.
But still, there is some fine tuning possible in the last 6000 years, in more physical ways. Creation science sites are full of these things that nullify c14 dating's assumptions. More than enough doubt there to cancel out evo attempts to try and date egypt or something fairly recent, out beyond flood time.
Any more questions?

Upvote 0