Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
we have a problem with calvin saying God forces anyone to do/think/decide something

it's that part of calvin's predestination theology that is opposed/incomprehensible

Calvinism isn't a rejection of free will, it's an emphasis of predestination- your free will is simply preordained. A word to get familiar with if you want to understand Reformed doctrine :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Meh

Calvin was very against free will specifically being mentioned in churches because he saw it as not only an affront to God's omniscience, but also an audacity of man to decide God's will by their own.

Are you familiar with 'Pelagianism'? It's the belief that man was not inherently deprived of good works without the aid of God.
It's also a heresy which the Church itself condemned- before returning right back to it with it's emphasis on free will.

You see, Calvinists are properly Protestants- it's Reformed doctrine, and it was the answer to the the Roman Church's heresies.

We can explain predestination through Imputed Righteousness, as that is what such doctrines are built on. Your free will just doesn't have much to it, it's fixated on an unnecessary vanity.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid the language of these passages is much stronger than God allowing the sin to happen. These events are said to be from the Lord. Did God simply allow Jesus to be crucified by the hands of lawless men or did God plan this event to happen?

THAT is the one thing that God did ordain. He saw that people would end up being sinners, and they would need a Savior. God provided Himself.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
THAT is the one thing that God did ordain. He saw that people would end up being sinners, and they would need a Savior. God provided Himself.

So then you must admit that at least in this one instance that God ordained sin. It was sinful for the Sanhedrin to falsely accuse and try Jesus. It was sinful for them to demand his execution. It was sinful for Pilate to allow the will of the people to prevail. It was sinful for the Roman soldiers to nail Jesus' hands and feet to the cross.

And God ordained all of this. Right?

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Calvinism isn't a rejection of free will, it's an emphasis of predestination- your free will is simply preordained. A word to get familiar with if you want to understand Reformed doctrine :)
what do you mean?

God made Jacob favor Joseph over his brothers so God could make Joseph become prideful and his brothers jealously vengeful?

so that Joseph could end up 2nd in command over Egypt?

because God could not have managed to get Joseph to power in a better way?

is that the kind of thing you are meaning?

Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
what do you mean?

God made Jacob favor Joseph over his brothers so God could make Joseph become prideful and his brothers jealously vengeful?

so that Joseph could end up 2nd in command over Egypt?

because God could not have managed to get Joseph to power in a better way?

is that the kind of thing you are meaning?

God set the stage in which Jacob would make that decision, and so Joseph would become prideful and his brothers jealous.

God crafted Joseph into an instrument of His will- it's not a hard thing to recognize; in fact, it probably takes a lot more energy to deny it being that it's just an inevitable consequence of omniscience- if God has a plan that will not fail, what exactly is it that keeps it from failing?

Man's free will?
Take a moment to realize the ridiculousness in that notion.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
God set the stage in which Jacob would make that decision, and so Joseph would become prideful and his brothers jealous.

God crafted Joseph into an instrument of His will- it's not a hard thing to recognize; in fact, it probably takes a lot more energy to deny it being that it's just an inevitable consequence of omniscience- if God has a plan that will not fail, what exactly is it that keeps it from failing?

Man's free will?
imo God had a plan, and the bad decisions of Jacob, Joseph, and his brothers could not stop it, because God has a way to bring about His plan no matter what - that's how i see that story

i don't see God crafting Joseph to make him like he was - i see God using Joseph despite who he was

Galatians 6:7 says we reap what we sow

Jacob, Joseph, and Joseph's brothers all made bad mistakes and reaped what they sowed - trouble for foolishness

and through it all God still caused His plan to succeed - because God is awesome - far above our level

i see free will alive and foolish as ever

i see God's awesomeness in dealing with man's foolishness profoundly effective as always

i guess we each allow our foundational doctrines to influence how we interpret scripture

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
i've been studying this material by a calvinist/reformed (not sure yet what the difference is between calvinist and reform)

it seems to me that calvin was an all-or-nothing kind of guy

he didn't see things in moderation - thus the titles of calvin's tulip vs arminian's titles

it also seems that this author doesn't properly understand arminian's points

here's my notes of a reformed calvinist explaining calvin's doctrines - my words in red - the rest are his words:

1. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism - Tim Challies
-Arminianism arose as a rejection of Calvinism and its doctrines of predestination and election. THIS FOR SURE CAUSES NON-C'S TO REJECT CALVINISM
- Arminius taught that God has given humans free will, and humans are able to freely choose or reject salvation. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME - I AGREE WITH THIS
-A Calvinist is someone who rejects the Arminian concept of free will, believing that the will of all humans is bound by their sinful nature and will remain bound until God performs His regenerative work. FREE WILL IS BOUND - SO CALVINISTS CALL LIMITED/BOUND WILL FREE WILL - OUR DEFINITIONS OF FREE WILL DON'T MATCH
-Calvinism is founded on the belief that man is completely and utterly unable to make a choice to follow God because the will of the unsaved person is bound by his sinful nature. CALVINISTS CALL LIMITED/BOUND WILL FREE WILL - THEY REALLY MEAN A WILL THAT IS LIMITED TO MAKING ONLY EVIL/BAD CHOICES - ESPECIALLY ABOUT WANTING/CHOOSING GOD

2. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 2) - Tim Challies
- A proper understanding of Calvinism is fully dependant on understanding Calvin’s view of man’s depravity. I'D LIKE TO UNDERSTAND WHY HE SAYS THIS
- A fallen man is able to choose to do what he wants, but is unable to want God. There is a misconception that Calvinists do not believe in human free will, but this is not true. Calvinism teaches that free will exists, but is bound by a man’s nature. Man is a slave not to God, but to his own nature. Because man does not want God, he can never choose Him. Only God, in His Sovereign free will, can change man’s nature and make him capable of repentance. SOUNDS LIKE CALVIN SAYS A PERSON HAS ONLY A LIMITED/BOUND WILL - A WILL TO CHOOSE ONLY EVIL/BAD - UNTIL GOD REGENERATES HIM AND GIVES HIM A FREE WILL TO CHOOSE GOOD OR BAD - WHICH INCLUDES WANTING/CHOOSING GOD
- Total Depravity - With a sinful nature it is impossible to take an action that would be anything other than sinful and rebellious. FREE WILL NOT REALLY FREE - LIMITED TO ONLY SINFUL CHOICES
- Unconditional Election - God brings His chosen people, through the Spirit, to a willing acceptance of Christ. His choice has nothing to do with man’s free will. GOD ALONE CHOOSES WHO HE WANTS BEFORE HE EVEN CREATES THEM - SO THAT MEANS GOD CREATES SOME PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY FOR HELL
- Limited Atonement - Christ took the sins of the elect upon Himself on the cross. He provided a full and effectual (fully adequate) atonement for their sins. Though Christ’s sacrifice was sufficient for the entire human race, it is only imputed (given) to the elect. Were Christ to sacrifice and die for someone and then that person did not choose to be saved, it would make Christ’s work a failure. IS THIS SAYING CHRIST DID NOT TAKE THE SINS OF EVERYONE ON HIMSELF? OR DOES IT SAY THAT HE TOOK EVERYONE'S SINS BUT ONLY IMPUTED ATONEMENT ON THE ELECT?
- Irresistible Grace - There are two ways God calls people to repentance. The first is the outer call which is extended to anyone who hears the gospel. This can be and often is rejected. The second is the internal call which is extended only to the elect and can never be rejected. WHY WOULD GOD CALL EVERYONE OUTWARDLY EVEN THOUGH HE CREATED/PREDESTINED SOME FOR HELL? THE INWARD CALL ONLY GOES TO THOSE HE CHOSE
- Perseverance of the Saints - The elect, then, will persevere in righteousness and will never fall away from God. I LIKE THIS PART - BUT THERE ARE SCRIPTURES FOR AND AGAINST - HOPING THEY ARE REALLY FOR THIS POINT

3. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 3) - Tim Challies - errors/unreliable source
- Free Will - Arminius taught that man’s fall into sin has not completely removed his ability to make a choice for or against God. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME
- Holy Spirit does not draw or enlighten men enough to force them into a decision. ERRONEOUS CLAIM - HOLY SPIRIT MAKES TRUTH FULLY KNOWN TO ALL - EACH CHOOSES TO ACCEPT OR REJECT BASED ON FULL DISCLOSURE
- Conditional Election - God’s election is based upon his foreknowledge that a person would choose to be saved. God in turn chose them and called them the elect. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME
- Universal Atonement - When Christ died he took upon Himself every sin for every human being throughout time. Salvation can be received or rejected. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE
- Obstructable Grace - Holy Spirit does not force anyone into repentance. Regeneration occurs when salvation is accepted. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE
- Fall from Grace - Man can change his mind and reject God after accepting Him. THERE SEEMS TO BE SCRIPTURES FOR AND AGAINST THIS

4. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 4) - Tim Challies - errors/unreliable

NOTES
so from studying this material it seems to me that free will vs limited will is one key issue

limited will comes from the total depravity ideology

calvinists and non-c's are so far apart in doctrine on the key issues that even if we properly understand what each other is saying we would never be able to agree on much of anything

we have totally different God/bible paradigms

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
i've been studying this material by a calvinist/reformed (not sure yet what the difference is between calvinist and reform)

it seems to me that calvin was an all-or-nothing kind of guy

he didn't see things in moderation - thus the titles of calvin's tulip vs arminian's titles

it also seems that this author doesn't properly understand arminian's points

here's my notes of a reformed calvinist explaining calvin's doctrines - my words in red - the rest are his words:

1. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism - Tim Challies
-Arminianism arose as a rejection of Calvinism and its doctrines of predestination and election. THIS FOR SURE CAUSES NON-C'S TO REJECT CALVINISM
- Arminius taught that God has given humans free will, and humans are able to freely choose or reject salvation. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME - I AGREE WITH THIS
-A Calvinist is someone who rejects the Arminian concept of free will, believing that the will of all humans is bound by their sinful nature and will remain bound until God performs His regenerative work. FREE WILL IS BOUND - SO CALVINISTS CALL LIMITED/BOUND WILL FREE WILL - OUR DEFINITIONS OF FREE WILL DON'T MATCH
-Calvinism is founded on the belief that man is completely and utterly unable to make a choice to follow God because the will of the unsaved person is bound by his sinful nature. CALVINISTS CALL LIMITED/BOUND WILL FREE WILL - THEY REALLY MEAN A WILL THAT IS LIMITED TO MAKING ONLY EVIL/BAD CHOICES - ESPECIALLY ABOUT WANTING/CHOOSING GOD

2. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 2) - Tim Challies
- A proper understanding of Calvinism is fully dependant on understanding Calvin’s view of man’s depravity. I'D LIKE TO UNDERSTAND WHY HE SAYS THIS
- A fallen man is able to choose to do what he wants, but is unable to want God. There is a misconception that Calvinists do not believe in human free will, but this is not true. Calvinism teaches that free will exists, but is bound by a man’s nature. Man is a slave not to God, but to his own nature. Because man does not want God, he can never choose Him. Only God, in His Sovereign free will, can change man’s nature and make him capable of repentance. SOUNDS LIKE CALVIN SAYS A PERSON HAS ONLY A LIMITED/BOUND WILL - A WILL TO CHOOSE ONLY EVIL/BAD - UNTIL GOD REGENERATES HIM AND GIVES HIM A FREE WILL TO CHOOSE GOOD OR BAD - WHICH INCLUDES WANTING/CHOOSING GOD
- Total Depravity - With a sinful nature it is impossible to take an action that would be anything other than sinful and rebellious. FREE WILL NOT REALLY FREE - LIMITED TO ONLY SINFUL CHOICES
- Unconditional Election - God brings His chosen people, through the Spirit, to a willing acceptance of Christ. His choice has nothing to do with man’s free will. GOD ALONE CHOOSES WHO HE WANTS BEFORE HE EVEN CREATES THEM - SO THAT MEANS GOD CREATES SOME PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY FOR HELL
- Limited Atonement - Christ took the sins of the elect upon Himself on the cross. He provided a full and effectual (fully adequate) atonement for their sins. Though Christ’s sacrifice was sufficient for the entire human race, it is only imputed (given) to the elect. Were Christ to sacrifice and die for someone and then that person did not choose to be saved, it would make Christ’s work a failure. IS THIS SAYING CHRIST DID NOT TAKE THE SINS OF EVERYONE ON HIMSELF? OR DOES IT SAY THAT HE TOOK EVERYONE'S SINS BUT ONLY IMPUTED ATONEMENT ON THE ELECT?
- Irresistible Grace - There are two ways God calls people to repentance. The first is the outer call which is extended to anyone who hears the gospel. This can be and often is rejected. The second is the internal call which is extended only to the elect and can never be rejected. WHY WOULD GOD CALL EVERYONE OUTWARDLY EVEN THOUGH HE CREATED/PREDESTINED SOME FOR HELL? THE INWARD CALL ONLY GOES TO THOSE HE CHOSE
- Perseverance of the Saints - The elect, then, will persevere in righteousness and will never fall away from God. I LIKE THIS PART - BUT THERE ARE SCRIPTURES FOR AND AGAINST - HOPING THEY ARE REALLY FOR THIS POINT

3. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 3) - Tim Challies - errors/unreliable source
- Free Will - Arminius taught that man’s fall into sin has not completely removed his ability to make a choice for or against God. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME
- Holy Spirit does not draw or enlighten men enough to force them into a decision. ERRONEOUS CLAIM - HOLY SPIRIT MAKES TRUTH FULLY KNOWN TO ALL - EACH CHOOSES TO ACCEPT OR REJECT BASED ON FULL DISCLOSURE
- Conditional Election - God’s election is based upon his foreknowledge that a person would choose to be saved. God in turn chose them and called them the elect. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE TO ME
- Universal Atonement - When Christ died he took upon Himself every sin for every human being throughout time. Salvation can be received or rejected. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE
- Obstructable Grace - Holy Spirit does not force anyone into repentance. Regeneration occurs when salvation is accepted. THIS MAKES SCRIPTURAL SENSE
- Fall from Grace - Man can change his mind and reject God after accepting Him. THERE SEEMS TO BE SCRIPTURES FOR AND AGAINST THIS

4. An Introduction To Calvinism & Arminianism (Part 4) - Tim Challies - errors/unreliable

NOTES
so from studying this material it seems to me that free will vs limited will is one key issue

limited will comes from the total depravity ideology

calvinists and non-c's are so far apart i doctrine on the key issues that even if we properly understand what each other is saying we would never be able to agree on much of anything

we have totally God/bible paradigms
based on this study my questions are:

1.if calvinists/reformed believes everyone is already predestined for heaven or hell why would anyone need to discuss calvinism? - there's no sense discussing something set in stone

2. the beliefs of calvin hurt a lot of people - there are so many people wondering if they are saved or not - the teachings of calvin disturb people because when they struggle with sin they wonder if God predestined them this way - it torments people to think they are predestined to hell and there is nothing they can do about it - so since calvin's ideology torments people's minds it's unkind of calvinists to go around tormenting people - why do calvinists want to talk about a predestined issue with people who are tormented by it?

3. if the outer call is the gospel, but the inner call is from the Holy Spirit, why did Jesus tell us to preach the gospel everywhere? - seems like a lot of wasted effort for no true results - the power of salvation then is not the preaching of the gospel, but rather the irresistible inner call of the Holy Spirit - so really no need to reach out to others at all if i were a calvinist

4. what is the purpose of a calvinist on earth? - what does God call a calvinist to do since the Holy Spirit does it all and it is all predestined anyway?

God Bless you all

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if calvinists/reformed believes everyone is already predestined for heaven or hell why would anyone need to discuss calvinism? - there's no sense discussing something set in stone

If this junk were so,
Why would Jesus Desire to teach us to be fishers of men?

If one answers to make sure those predestined to Heaven get saved then you are contradicting your theory.

This entire calvinists theory violates too many scriptured.
It places new meanings to God's Word

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
If this junk were so,
Why would Jesus Desire to teach us to be fishers of men?

If one answers to make sure those predestined to Heaven get saved then you are contradicting your theory.

This entire calvinists theory violates too many scriptured.
It places new meanings to God's Word
yes i would be interested in understanding what answers calvinists/reformed have to my questions

my whole purpose to exist is to see others be drawn to God

if that were all predetermined, i personally would have no spiritual purpose to pray/act/speak

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man's free will?

Ridiculous notion?
How many times is the word "if" Written in say deuteronomy 28 and 30?
If there was no free will there could be NO "IF" But there is.

Man is free to choose God's way or the world's way.....that's free will.
Man is Free to walk away from God and throw his salvation away if he chooses to.
That again is free will.

I can go let the air out of say brother @Truthfrees tires and that's free will and not God's will.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Ridiculous notion?
How many times is the word "if" Written in say deuteronomy 28 and 30?
If there was no free will there could be NO "IF" But there is.

Man is free to choose God's way or the world's way.....that's free will.
Man is Free to walk away from God and throw his salvation away if he chooses to.
That again is free will.

I can go let the air out of say brother @Truthfrees tires and that's free will and not God's will.

Blessings
great points

except stay away from my tires :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
based on this study my questions are:

1.if calvinists/reformed believes everyone is already predestined for heaven or hell why would anyone need to discuss calvinism? - there's no sense discussing something set in stone

2. the beliefs of calvin hurt a lot of people - there are so many people wondering if they are saved or not - the teachings of calvin disturb people because when they struggle with sin they wonder if God predestined them this way - it torments people to think they are predestined to hell and there is nothing they can do about it - so since calvin's ideology torments people's minds it's unkind of calvinists to go around tormenting people - why do calvinists want to talk about a predestined issue with people who are tormented by it?

3. if the outer call is the gospel, but the inner call is from the Holy Spirit, why did Jesus tell us to preach the gospel everywhere? - seems like a lot of wasted effort for no true results - the power of salvation then is not the preaching of the gospel, but rather the irresistible inner call of the Holy Spirit - so really no need to reach out to others at all if i were a calvinist

4. what is the purpose of a calvinist on earth? - what does God call a calvinist to do since the Holy Spirit does it all and it is all predestined anyway?

God Bless you all
All straw men, my friend.

Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All straw men, my friend.

I'm not sure your definition of 'strawmen' is the same as most people's. A strawman argument isn't asking tough questions about what many Calvinists have actually claimed, that Calvinists may or may not have answers too, nor is the fallacy that of discussing elements found in Calvin's own work.

A strawman argument is when an incorrect 'prop' argument is made to fight against, such as comparing Arminianism to pelagianism then arguing against pelagianism, or using a term differently (such as free will) than an opponent does to attack something they do not claim.

In the case of those four points, they might be exaggerations in some part (not everyone is tormented by Calvinism, though it is problematic for some and there are cases where it was/is a huge stumbling block) or are older views held by Calvinism and current hyper-calvinists, but rejected by other modern Calvinists or four point Calvinists, but they do not seem to meet the definition of strawmen.

Asking a genuine question like, 'what does a Calvinist believe is his purpose in regards to spreading the gospel?' is very different from a strawman argument which would take a form more like, 'you Calvinists must not believe preaching is important!'

Upvote 0