Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The more I learn the more I realize how harsh the people were in life who called out the EO and RCC as some crazy Mary worshipping cults. (I have heard these exact phrasings sadly). The more I hear the more it does make sense and it doesn’t contradict what scriptures say. I would love to visit my local parish…but there isn’t one. I keep searching online but the closest one is in Hagerstown MD I live in Frostburg MD. If anyone could aide me in my search I would be grateful. I just wish to visit once tbh. I can’t choose if I haven’t seen it for myself. I don’t have a car which is part of or well the majority of the problem…

It is definitely a matter of needing to come and see for yourself. TAW is a good site, you can certainly learn theology at a distance, there are many good books for all aspects of the faith - but in the end it MUST be engaged directly, and online is no substitute.

There is a page you can look up local parishes. I recently found a Russian western rite mission parish near me (something I've been interested to visit) and had no idea it was there. Sometimes they are close but hidden.

Directory of Parishes

However, I put in the zip for your area. I found nothing within 25 miles, but a fair number within 50 miles. What's kind of ironic you can see on the map if you put in 100 miles, you are surrounded by TONS of Churches ... but there is a gap with none and you are right in the center of that gap.

I drive almost an hour (mostly interstate) to my Church though. And with several that are 40-ish miles, there's a good chance there might be someone near you that you could ride with, as A4C suggested.

Anyway, I don't know if you're traveling for the holidays or anything, but that website can turn up Churches all over the US.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am not Orthodox although I once explored Orthodoxy as OP is now doing. I'd like to recommend a book that I enjoyed and found most helpful when considering Orthodoxy: Common Ground: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity by Jordan Bajis. It is available on Amazon, kinda pricey but worth every penny. Also good is The Orthodox Way by Kalistos Ware. And, it's much cheaper!

The other best thing you can do is visit a service. As my Orthodox friends say, "Come and see!"

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get home from work and check this only to feel a smile on my face and warmth in my heart. Thank you all for trying so hard to help me in so many ways. I’m going to send out emails to see if any of these parishes have members in my area. God works in mysterious ways in that today I ran into two pastors from different denominations at work. Both Protestant. We three spoke about the Bible together and other things. They agree with my sentiment that denominations and all that aren’t what’s important. Honestly talking to them strengthened my resolve today. I work fast food and today was the first day I’ve ever fasted (Still not done for the day). I get free food if I’m working to which honestly doesn’t help much but it works out. Thank God for all these blessings this week.

And God Bless all of you

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I get home from work and check this only to feel a smile on my face and warmth in my heart. Thank you all for trying so hard to help me in so many ways. I’m going to send out emails to see if any of these parishes have members in my area. God works in mysterious ways in that today I ran into two pastors from different denominations at work. Both Protestant. We three spoke about the Bible together and other things. They agree with my sentiment that denominations and all that aren’t what’s important. Honestly talking to them strengthened my resolve today. I work fast food and today was the first day I’ve ever fasted (Still not done for the day). I get free food if I’m working to which honestly doesn’t help much but it works out. Thank God for all these blessings this week.

And God Bless all of you

No problem, feel free to ask us questions whenever you need to. You are also welcome to join us in Christian fellowship whenever you please.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And God Bless all of you

God bless you too. :)

I was going to check your other thread for posts about fasting, since you asked. But I hope you won't mind if I reply here?

I'm far, far from an expert (medical situations have often prevented me being able to observe the strictness of the fast) ... I will say that the one time I made it all the way through one of the longer fasts without breaking it, I was incredibly blessed. But then again, I was also incredibly blessed the time I made it partway through a longer fast and experienced a pretty extreme physical issue that forced me to stop. God teaches and blesses us in both successes and failures. The only ways in which we can really "fail" is either to keep the fast perfectly (or even add to it) but allow that success to create pride in us - or else to rely too much on ourselves and then be unable to keep the fast, and allow that to create despair in us. If we avoid those two pitfalls, God is able to bless us in many ways, teach us many things, through our fasts.

I mentioned in that thread that there are different kinds of fasts. There is some variation, but here is a bit:

We fast on almost all Wednesdays and Fridays to keep us mindful of Jesus' betrayal by Judas Iscariot and His crucifixion. This generally involves avoiding meat, milk, dairy, eggs, oil, and wine. Often we eat less. Some skip a meal or two, or wait until evening to eat. It is a very good practice to use that missed food, or the money that would have been spent on it, to help the poor, feed the homeless, etc.

We have longer fasts (40 days - in the case of Great Lent extra days of other kinds of fasting) twice a year, once for the Nativity of Our Lord, and Great Lent before Holy Week and Pascha, which focuses on Christ's last week including the Triumphal Entry and the events that led up to the Crucifixion and His glorious Resurrection. That truly is an amazingly joyous celebration, beyond imagining, and the fast is followed by a feast.

We also have a roughly two-week fast dedicated to the Virgin Mary ending at the time we remember her death, and a Feast dedicated to the Apostles that varies in length (up to as long as six weeks, I think) because the date of Pascha/Resurrection changes, and the start of it is based on that date. These are minor fasts compared to the Lenten ones dedicated to Christ's Incarnation and Resurrection.

All of our fasting periods we are encouraged to devote more time to prayer and to give to the poor as well as fasting from whatever else may affect us spiritually that we need to bring under discipline, from things we might do, or not do, or think about, or see, or say, etc. Great Lent particularly is a time we are encouraged to seek repentance, dedication to God, spiritual growth.

Fasting is especially a good discipline that weakens the flesh to help us overcome temptation, a tool to humble us, to remind us of our own weakness, and a reminder to rely upon God.

Very often the longer and more rigorous fasts (especially Great Lent) will be accompanied by a great deal of spiritual warfare, and it does tend to bring to the surface things hidden within us. This is good though, so that we can face them and with the help of God, overcome them.

LOL, sorry, I didn't mean to include quite so much. But those are just the basics. Really, with proper guidance, I have to say that I have always been humbled and amazed by what God has taught me and how He works through the fasts. And the Nativity fast begins today for us.

Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been researching Orthodoxy and am favorably impressed but there are some things (as a Protestant) that I just cannot seem to overcome. The icons and yes I have read and read and read about this but am not convinced. I honestly don't think I could ever kiss an icon because to me that would be worshipping it.

Are the services in USA in english? Are the priests really not allowed to shave beards or cut hair?

I just now read that you have to take the name of a saint at baptism. Since there were no NT saints at the beginning of the early church this practice obviously came later and is 'man made'?

I really like that it was the first church and like almost all I have read but in looking at the pictures of the churches it just feels so middle eastern and foreign to me :(
Hope I don't offend anyone. I am just trying to learn.

Reactions: Kajiki
Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Anastasia, for the information on fasting. I’m still searching for a parish that has members in my area sadly. I got in contact with one in PA and they directed me to an online live one which I don’t feel comfortable with. I get a disconnect when I watch on a screen any kinda sermon in general. I need to be there. If any of you guys know anyone possibly in my area or goes to a parish within 50 miles of me that could help me out by either taking me one Sunday or finding someone close to me who could I would be very thankful.

I have been researching Orthodoxy and am favorably impressed but there are some things (as a Protestant) that I just cannot seem to overcome. The icons and yes I have read and read and read about this but am not convinced. I honestly don't think I could ever kiss an icon because to me that would be worshipping it.

Are the services in USA in english? Are the priests really not allowed to shave beards or cut hair?

I just now read that you have to take the name of a saint at baptism. Since there were no NT saints at the beginning of the early church this practice obviously came later and is 'man made'?

I really like that it was the first church and like almost all I have read but in looking at the pictures of the churches it just feels so middle eastern and foreign to me :(

I'm sure these kind folks will help you out. One thing to keep in mind is that Christianity's roots are found in the Middle East so the further back into the Early Church the more you'll notice this feel. Good Luck on your journey with Christ!

• Friendly
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yes, services are in English and yes, priests can cut their hair.

and for icons, kissing an icon is no more worship than kissing the photo of a loved one. as far as being named for a saint at baptism, that is also no different than being named for your grandfather. the practice is not man made, and as early as we can tell, Christians took the names of saints. we see this in the NT, as the tradition was for sons to take the names of their fathers (John the Baptist).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mary,

I do see that you've done quite a bit of reading on the subject, but the link I've provided below adds some useful information in regards to your concerns with icons, I believe.

Specifically -

"In that perceptive statement lies a choice of words that makes all the difference in the world to Orthodox Christians when it comes to their use of icons. A major distinction is made between adoration or worship and honor or veneration. Worship is reserved only for God. Honor and veneration are given more broadly, a different matter entirely.

We all honor and venerate various objects, positions, and people—and that to differing degrees! Husbands and wives are told in the New Testament to honor each other. And likewise children honor (we hope!) their parents. At school we honor teachers and principals. We honor professors and scientists; governors and members of congress; senators and judges; presidents and prime ministers. “Take a letter to the Honorable Mr. Jones,” a man may say to his secretary."

No Graven Image: Icons and Their Proper Use | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

Edit : Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here. I really should leave the instructional stuff to the Orthodox folks. :)

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I understand that the veneration of icons can be a big barrier for those coming over from the Protestant Tradition, it was even a bit of a challenge for me at first, and I grew up Catholic! Almost every convert goes through this, but we all overcome it eventually, most find talking to Orthodox clergy helps!

I know that some people are unable to visit an Orthodox Church, so here is a video of a sermon on icons by an Orthodox clergyman, hopefully it will be of help in your journey:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Anastasia, for the information on fasting. I’m still searching for a parish that has members in my area sadly. I got in contact with one in PA and they directed me to an online live one which I don’t feel comfortable with. I get a disconnect when I watch on a screen any kinda sermon in general. I need to be there. If any of you guys know anyone possibly in my area or goes to a parish within 50 miles of me that could help me out by either taking me one Sunday or finding someone close to me who could I would be very thankful.

I'm sure these kind folks will help you out. One thing to keep in mind is that Christianity's roots are found in the Middle East so the further back into the Early Church the more you'll notice this feel. Good Luck on your journey with Christ!

You're very welcome.

Did you see the link I posted? There have been lots of posts so it might have gotten lost.

Directory of Parishes

I don't know how big your zip area is, or where you live in relation to your city, so I was guessing from the info you gave, but it looks like there are a number of parishes within 50 miles.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone near you. Tell you what though - I have a lot of Orthodox friends on FB. I can't make any promises, but I'll put the word out and see if I know anyone, or if they know anyone. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matt, what do you mean by (John the Baptist)?

Luke's Gospel said he should have been named after his father, according to the piety of the time. so, if it makes sense to take the names of our earthly forebears (which we still do today), how much more so of our heavenly forebears (the saints)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One link i had already found in all my searching but had not seen the video which did help some. But I have to be convinced in my heart that it is not a sin .. I won't just try to get used to it.
I might salute the American flag but I would never kiss it because that is giving it too much glory.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One link i had already found in all my searching but had not seen the video which did help some. But I have to be convinced in my heart that it is not a sin .. I won't just try to get used to it.
I might salute the American flag but I would never kiss it because that is giving it too much glory.

would you ever kiss the photo of a loved one? is kissing a loved one giving them too much glory?

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Adding on a bit:
The taking on of a new/different name when becoming Christian is demonstrated in the Bible. Jesus renamed one or more of the disciples (Cephas became Peter) and Saul became Paul - so the principle itself is well established.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The book, which turns out to be books sorta, came in today. Becoming Orthodox by Peter E. Gilquist and a small booklet called Finding the New Testament Church by Jon E. Braun. The person who sent these wrote a note in the first one saying “Merry Christmas” and telling me that Nativity Fast apparently starts today. What does that mean?

Upvote 0