Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I went there for a month in 8th grade, due to when my family moved there. Yes, I remember Mr. DeGenova. You are referring to the teacher Mr. DeGenova, right? Ray DeGenova, who was the brother of teacher Mr. DeGenova, was my neighbor.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just wondering if any of the iconographers here have ever written an icon of Saint Moses the Black?

I came across this
2009-0523-moses.jpg

Read more about him, and am rather..... impressed.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just wondering if any of the iconographers here have ever written an icon of Saint Moses the Black?

I came across this
2009-0523-moses.jpg

Read more about him, and am rather..... impressed.

I have written him. I really do not like that icon of him. This depiction of St. Moses the Ethiopian makes him look really angry.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have written him. I really do not like that icon of him. This depiction of St. Moses the Ethiopian makes him look really angry.

Hmmmm, I suppose I can see what you mean there. The face is a little angry. Mostly it was the posture that caught my eye and the scroll that caught my eye. I think this is my favorite, actually.

St_MosesTheEthiopian.jpg

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmmm, I suppose I can see what you mean there. The face is a little angry. Mostly it was the posture that caught my eye and the scroll that caught my eye. I think this is my favorite, actually.

The face in the first one you posted was very angry and the posture was very agressive. Hardly the posture of someone contemplating the still silence of Heaven.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm I see what you mean. I wasn't saying I was particularly enamored of that icon, it was just the one that caught my eye and prompted me to look the saint up.

I understand. I wrote St. Moses the Ethiopian years ago. I will have to see if I can find a picture of the one which I wrote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I should say that it's a print. I'd love one of his icons for real though :) if I marry the person I hope I will, maybe I'll commission one then.

Also, that calendar is BEAUTIFUL! I think I want it. I've been looking for a calendar for a while now and I might just get that one!

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm. Ok, the fact that I'm so reluctant, and that I've actually typed this out three times already and erased it is probably a good sign that I should actually click "submit reply" after finishing this time.:idea:

Anyways. I suppose my fear that the answer will be negative has contributed to my reluctance to actually ask. :sigh:

First. Would it be alright for a rather convinced inquirer to respectfully own and venerate an icon?

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hmm. Ok, the fact that I'm so reluctant, and that I've actually typed this out three times already and erased it is probably a good sign that I should actually click "submit reply" after finishing this time.:idea:

Anyways. I suppose my fear that the answer will be negative has contributed to my reluctance to actually ask. :sigh:

First. Would it be alright for a rather convinced inquirer to respectfully own and venerate an icon?

It's perfectly alright!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Of course! The Lord blesses those who honor His saints!

If you have started attending an Orthodox parish, I would recommend bringing the icon(s) to your priest after you have purchased them so he may bless them.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Of course it is ok. Even if you are not an iquirer, as long as you know what an icon is, how to show it respect and how to pray before it there is nothing wrong with non-Orthodox owning icons. I began writing icons 3 years before I was chrismated.

Upvote 0