Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
okie ...you guys I get it.. Thanks. I was not sure of the consistency but it has too be not too watery or too thick... After all it has to be a "wash" ... It is funny but it seems the egg yolk has the fat so it is in a way painting also with oils... while the alchohol in the wine does the excact opposite... so I am sure depending on how much you use of both has to do with the result you get... It it is too much egg yolk it will "crack"... I get it thanks you all. I will start experimenting as soon as I order the pigments... Any good sources for that?

The consistency that I use when writing icons in acrylic is that of creamer. Thin washes is the best way to paint, if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first book I recommend to anyone who wants to learn about iconography is: The Icon, Window on the Kingdom by Michel Quenot. It is not too long (under 200 pages) and written in a very clear and concise manner which will give you a much better understanding of what icons are and what they mean.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Michael. :)

There are other good texts to read, but that one is the easiest and most concise I have found for giving to beginners. I stumbled upon it while still in Roman seminary and writing a paper on iconography. At that time I knew nothing about icons and Quenot's book was invaluable to me.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟277,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think this would depend on the iconographer. A smaller icon takes less paint, and should be less work, but if the iconographer is not used to working in a smaller size, it can be more difficult work. I would charge less for a simple icon in a smaller size, but if I was asked to paint a Nativity icon 4" x 6", you better believe that it would cost more than an 8" x 10" icon of the same subject just because it would be a tremendous strain on my eyes and my hand.

Upvote 0
N

Nicea

Can someone help me with a question I have about icons, please?

I read on one of the sites recommended to me here about the Orthodox church, that many people have icons in their home.

Are these used to pray to or in front of, and if so, how does this work?

I ask because my brother bought me an icon of Mary and Jesus when he went on holiday to Greece a couple of years ago. It is very beautiful but up until now has simply been a piece of art that I have in my bedroom. I don't want to disrespect it and what it represents and would like to know how to treat it properly. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Say I were to have a handwritten icon commissioned someday. Price wise, would most iconographers charge more or less for an icon around 4"x6" than they would one around 8"x10"?

My price for a 4x6 of a simple icon is almost the same as my price for an 8x10 of the same subject. There are very few icons that I like to write in small size, due to the tiny-ness of the details involved. Probably the only icon I do not mind painting in small size is the Holy Mandylion of Edessa. I write that icon in small size all of the time and actually enjoy doing that.

Upvote 0

michaeldimmickjr

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Apr 9, 2005
✟8,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been interested in learning to write icons for a long time now. There really isn't any resource that I know of online or otherwise to help me get started, if that's even the right way of putting it. I've heard that prayer and fasting go into the process of writing. I'm also sure you probably don't just decide one day, "hey! I'm going to be an iconographer!" I imagine it's more of a calling? I'm not sure if I have been "called," but God has gifted me with some artistic abilities. I can't help to wonder if writing icons wouldn't be a way for me to use the gift He has given me. Any answers, thoughts, questions, concerns would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

In Christ,

Michael

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on where you live. There are several of them in Pittsburgh. However, I will say this, having artistic skills is not enough to be an iconographer. St. John of San Francisco has an essay which says just that in one of my iconography manuals.

Upvote 0