Question to assemblies of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laffy4Christ

WhAt cAn I SaY Im GOoFyGoOBEr FOr JeSuS YEaH!!!!!!
Jul 25, 2008
Gardena,california
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
hey there if anybody is reading this im a junior in high school and im thinking about attending north central university(which is a pentecostal school) in fall 2010(long time away lol) But I wanted to hear about what u think of a christian who is non-denominational. we are all brothers and sisters I believe pretty much the same thing u believe actually if i choose a denomination it would probably be assemblies of God but I wanted to ask what is the difference between u and me besides denomination...I believe in the trinity..second coming...holy spirit...speaking in tounges..the holy bible pretty much exactly the same thing but I just wanted to hear from u what some differences are before I apply to a school that might have totally different beliefs than me I just wanna make sure so If anybody here know the difference between non-denominational and assemblies of God then let me know thanx

Reactions: JoynTx

byhisstripes

pull up a chair ... coffee's on ...
Nov 27, 2007
past Idaho through the mountains
✟61,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Laffy 4 Christ,
First of all I want to welcome you to the pentecostle forum, it is nice to have you. Second of all I wanted you to know that some one has read this and I think it is an excellent question, however I don't know that there is any major differance between us, you believe in the most vital things the pentecostles believe. I mainly just wanted you to know that I seen this but I'm not really sure what the differance is, but I didn't want you to think that we are ignoring you or your question wasn't a good one because it is. Some times these types of threads will sit unanswered for a little while until someone who knows the answer well enough to feel comfortable answering comes on. I know my answer was pretty vegue so I'm hoping some one with a little more knowledge comes on and give a better answer LOL have a wonderful day and I hope to see you around :hug: :wave:

Upvote 0
G

GodDreamer

hi dear, welcome to the forum. to get the full run down on what we believe, check out http://ag.org it goes through exactly what we believe. God bless and make sure you pray about where it is that God wants you go to. I'm assemblies of God, however i'm going to a Nazarene University....totally a surprise to me when i sat down and prayed about where to go and God told me there.
Also, i think i changed my mind a hundred different times...funny story....i was completely against going to my local community college first because i "knew" that God didn't want me to go there...i didn't even have to pray about it....and then i did pray about it and sure enough that's exactly where God wanted me to go. I've gone back and forth on Valley Fordge and Southeastern University (both Assemblies of God colleges) and then really sat down and prayed about it and God led my to Mount Vernon Nazarene University.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2008
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Laffy,

Your question is a very good one, and it has inspired me to logon and enter my first post here at the forum.

I am 46 years old, and I have been a Christian now since I was 17 years old. Over the years I have given a lot of thought and prayer to the denomination issue, and maybe I can share some of what I've learned here...

My first paster that led me to the Lord was an Assembly of God pastor. He was pioneering a church in my home town, so we met in an office he was renting out at the elementary school in our town.

From that day until this moment I have loved my Lord. It has not always been a walk without trials, holding fast to faith in Christ is anything but easy. But God makes a way... no matter what the circumstances.

First, let me say that it is AWESOME that you are continuing your education at the university. Later on, read 2 Timothy 2:15 and think about your education at college. We should be diligent to study God's word, but there is a blessing in going to college as well and learning what God directs us to learn. In so doing, I believe we become even greater agents for servitude for our Jesus and his Gospel message.

Now to the denomination thing...

Picture this, my friend... one day we will pass from this world, when our physical body falls to sleep once and for all, and in that time, we will enter heaven to be with Jesus. Picture that in that place where we are going, there isn't going to be a sign over the door "Pentecostals Only"... or "Baptists Only"... or "Methodists Only"... or "Folks Who Claim to Be Non-Denominational Only"... nope, it isn't going to be like that.

Because to get to heaven, there is only one path, and that is through have faith in the shed blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, who laid down his life for us all (regardless of denominations that men make up.....) he shed his blood, and died, then on the third day, he arose from the grave and is now ascended to heaven. Of all the things in the New Testament that the different denominations cannot agree on, this one thing we all agree on, that Jesus blood saves us all. It is Jesus Christ and Him crucified that should be the focus of every Christian church.

When tongues, healings, and denominational differences become the focus of the walk, at times, Jesus can become less... which is not a good thing. I am saying all of this because I believe if God is putting it in your heart to go to this or that college, then you should follow what He is building into your life. Hold fast to your faith in Him, and the Gospel message, and live for Him without compromise. He will give you the strength to live the way He wants you to live.

Over these many years I have moved around a lot due to work. In all of these days I have visited many different denominations and I have learned something very important by doing so... that God is not exclusive to any one denomination. If you sincerely look into the congregations of several denominations of Christian churches, you will find those people who really, truly love God and want to live for Him. At the same time, because we are all sinners and desperately need the Savior 24/7... you are going to see people who you will know are not living that life.

Its not the name of the denomination above the door that saves us... it is the Jesus in our hearts that brings us to heaven one day. Picture this, when we die, it will be (for a moment) just us and God standing there face to face. If, on Earth, you chose to be a Christian, and to live according to God's word, and (most importantly) your name is written down in the Lambs Book of Life... then you go to heaven. At that time, when we pass away, is the judgment, and it is determined whether we go yo heaven or to hell. It will be just God and you, and there will not be any denomination standing behind you to lean on. We each work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, and we must also be very careful who we listen to pertaining to the message of Christ.

Not every man who claims to be a preacher is 100% committed to God. Though many are, there are some that are not, and we must be forever vigilant in trying what they say, and making sure for ourselves that what they say aligns with the Word of God. A good way to view someone is to view their spiritual fruits. If a person is truly filled with God's spirit, then that person will also exhibit the traits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:22) If a pastor, or any other person who calls themselves a Christian for that matter does NOT have this spiritual fruit, I have learned to be very cautious around what they say or try to influence people to do.

Especially in the pentecostal way, there can be a tendency to put the pastor on a pedestal a bit more than God really intends. When we find ourselves quoting the pastor instead of the Bible, we should implement caution. Because our faith is not based on what paster so-and-so says, it is based on what the Bible says. It is always good to acknowledge the pastor's authority in our church, but then in the book of James you will see instructions on watching what comes out of the mouth of any man. And those who teach us will be especially accountable for what they say. This is sort of God's own "checks and balances."

This may be a bit more of an answer than what you may have expected, but what you ask is very valid, and what I see in your question are concerns about denominational barriers. My answer to that, in all truth, is that there is ONE church, just like it says in the Bible... BUT, that does not say there is ONE "denomination." Denominations are man-made disagreements pertaining to scriptural interpretation. Some of the biggest issues of disagreement stem from the way people do their communion and baptism practices. What I have noticed is that neither argument changes the fact that Christ died in due time for the ungodly. The Gospel message is that Christ died for our sins and that we, through faith in Him can live forever with God in heaven. This is the most important portion of the entire Bible. Having a relationship with God in this aspect restores what Adam and Eve lost in the Garden of Eden when they fell to sin. Every day they were able to talk to God, and through Christ we have the gift of fellowship with our Creator. All of this we can have after we walk out of the church building. We should all, as Christians, be walking with God everyday, with no compromises, but when we fall, Christ's blood is sufficient to cleanse us of our sins.

Notice that when I write, I write in a prose that describes one person talking to God, one-on-one. Fellowshipping with other believers is always good, and it is encouraged in the Bible. But where the denominations does NOT exist, is when you are alone with God. It is the times when you simply enjoy talking to the Father. To me, and to what I am trying to say in all of this is that we walk at all times with God at our side, and when we pass from this world, we will be with God. The church we go to should be an instrument of collective worship that is aligned with God's Word and His teaching. Then we walk out of the church building, get in our cars, and we are still walking with a Holy God. He does not stay behind in some brick building. In fact, the Bible says that God cannot be contained in a brick building.

If he cannot be contained in a brick building, how could we expect him to be contained in just one denomination? After all, the denominations were formed because of divisions and disagreements. Man, by nature, or the "natural man" would be found following man. But the higher calling is to follow God. This goes against man's nature, thus we need the Holy Spirit to guide us and to open our understanding of these things.

By saying "there is one church" I speak the truth, there is only one set of believers who are going to get to heaven one day. The church is that entity of human existence that has been convinced of their sins through the Holy Spirit, and have accepted Christ as the answer for their lives. Now this thing can exist in any true Christian denomination.

Human beings are prone to arguments. Therefore, it is my observation, that God allowed them to argue, and allowed people to split themselves into denominations. I would imagine in some ways this breaks God's heart that we, as believers would follow a man into arguments rather than listen to God at all times. Some of the largest denominations were founded by great men of God, and those that followed after, if they align themselves as being of this or that denomination, then they must acknowledge the greatness of these men. Some of these great men, by name, would be Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Moody, John Wesley, and John Knox. All have done great things for God and the spreading of the Gospel.

But let's not give them too much applause, because they were all simply doing the humble work God instructed them to accomplish. The better focus is not on these men, but on the greatness of Christ. Though these men be true followers of the Lord, they cannot nor should never replace Him in importance. When a Christian focuses on a denomination, or the way a denomination views the Bible, even if they say they are "Non-Denominational" (this has become a denomination now...) we must ALL be cautious to read the Bible for ourselves, and to work out a personal walk with Christ that in it's simplest form contains we, the single Christian human being, and God. I am saying that what is most important is that we walk with God, not with our denominational beliefs. Because... the denominational beliefs are founded in argument and division. Walk with God, and there is no division in Christ's true church.

This is what I have learned in the last 30 years of being a Christian.

In what building you worship is not as important as if you are worshipping from your heart, and you really mean to be there for something besides a social construct. People should ask themselves, "am I in church this morning to meet with my friends?... or am I in church this morning to meet with God?" If all church is to someone is a grand social engagement, it might be they are missing the entire point. Come seeking God, not seeking the pot roast at sister so-and-so's house after church....

When we collect ourselves together, we add a strength mechanism to our Christian walk. When we share our love for Christ one to another, we edify one another. But be careful of arguments and strife between denominations. This is not a strengthening of our faith, it is a continuing of out disagreements with our Christian brothers and sisters. Concentrate on the beauty of Christ, not the differences men make in order to paint a new sign over their church doorway.

The only sign over a Christian doorway SHOULD be... "Jesus"... any other sign is man-made. I am not referring to the "Jesus Only" churches, who denounce the existence of the Father or the Spirit, I am talking about, if you are a Christian, and you claim to follow Christ, then above the door of your heart should be His name, not the name of Luther, Calvin, Knox, or Wesley. These were great men, but THEE man is Jesus.

I have been through many struggles to learn these things. And, even today, many are not willing to knock down the denominational walls long enough to agree that there are Christians in every Christian denomination. Some would even dare claim that they are the ONLY true Christian church... whew... that seems a bit haughty and prideful, to think that they have a monopoly on God's Word, and that they can contain God in their own interpretation of the Bible. God is pretty big, they are (it seems) putting him in a little box that they can consider is "their's"... which seems to be leaning toward ownership of God, when in fact, He owns us, we do not own Him.

Bless you on your journey in life, and think about some of these things I have written. I write this for my love in Christ, that in seeing with my own eyes, I have seen true Christians in many different denominations. Follow God, follow the Bible, and watch out for man, because though the Spirit does sanctify us, we never leave the realm of temptation. We can live strong, we can attempt to live perfect as out father is perfect, but man is born to sin, and is not the perfect one. Therefore, men can make mistakes, but God is perfect and does NEVER err. Therefore, following God is the most important thing.

Take care,

WannBeLikeMyJesus

:)

Upvote 0

rob64

Aug 19, 2008
✟8,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Laffy, I'm new at this forum stuff, but I have to say that the last reply was very well said. I dont want to add to or take away anything from it. Just want to give you some encouragement.
I was introduced to Jesus shortly after I turned 18. My family disowned me, and got kicked out of the house. I totaly brought it on myself. But I cried out to God and sort of complained to Him about my delema. I had to sleep under a bridge the first night, but the next day, my life totally changed. Through a friend of the family, I was introduced to an assembly of God preacher named Mark House. For the first time in my life, this man told me about Jesus. In 18 years, he was the first. Anyway, I immediately accepted Him as Lord of my life. This guy told me that I was making a lifetime commitment. And asked me if I was sure thats what I wanted to do. Well I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I did. He convinced me to go to a Teen Challenge in Michigan. He had been the director of it in the past. It turns out TC is a crash course on the Bible. We didnt memorize verses, we memorized books! To make a long story short, I graduated the place, went back to Indiana. A year later, I found myself in a childrens home as a counselor, in "the ministry". And I was able to attend their Bible College. Truthfully, up to that time, I knew alot, but it was mostly the basics. I didnt start getting the "meat" till I went to college. They really have a way of opening your eyes to the things of God.
So my dear, be prepaired to be enlighted. Take in as much as you can. Digest it. We're talking about the Word of Almighty God. But, be aware that there are two kinds of teachings. Truth and error. In fact the NT is full of warnings about false teachers. You are on the right path. You know some truth. But dont believe everything you hear, or read. satan is out there perverting the truth. The more truth you know, the easier it is to spot the error.
Think of it like this, You know those invisible ink pens they have at the bank? The ones they use to test cash for its authenticity? Ok, Before they came out with those pens, do you know how bank tellers could tell the difference between real money and counterfeit? You would think they studied the counterfeit money, right? Wrong!!! They studied the real thing. It was a part of their daily routine, to count money. So, when any thing fake came along, it stuck out like a sore thumb. They couldnt study all the different kinds of counterfeit, there was too many types. You get the picture? You have God's Spirit in you. He is the one who leads you into all truth. It's not even something you have to pray for. When Jesus ascended, He left us His Spirit, our helper. It's already happened for us. He didnt tell us to pray for the Spirit's guidance, He told us, "He WILL lead you and guide you into ALL truth" Not maybe, it's a done deal. It's an UNCONDITIONAL promise!

Anyway, look up, your redemption draws near!

Upvote 0

Pastor LDM

Aug 16, 2008
Greenwood, Indiana
✟15,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Laffy4Christ;
This is a real good question and I may get in hot water for answer it on this forum, I have been a Pastor for 30yrs. and I have been in hot water for telling the truth to people so here we go...God didn't made Denominational church's of any kind or Non-Denominational they're man-made not God made...The Bible tell us that Jesus is the head of the Church why? he give his life for it, that means Jesus is the Church...If you open up your Bible it doesn't talk about any NoN or Denominational church's at all, man made these church's up so were they can have their way with the word of GOD...It is their way to back up their own sinful lifestyle and no one can prove to me by the word of God that I am wrong...God have told me about this NoN/Denominational church's long time ago...I have always stood up for God and His word/BIBLE because man have always try to twist it to suite their own sinful lifestyle...I hope this will help you out, and for the people out their who don't like what I said I can only say to them talk it over with God not me...

Upvote 0

Laffy4Christ

Jul 25, 2008
Gardena,california
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Laffy4Christ;
This is a real good question and I may get in hot water for answer it on this forum, I have been a Pastor for 30yrs. and I have been in hot water for telling the truth to people so here we go...God didn't made Denominational church's of any kind or Non-Denominational they're man-made not God made...The Bible tell us that Jesus is the head of the Church why? he give his life for it, that means Jesus is the Church...If you open up your Bible it doesn't talk about any NoN or Denominational church's at all, man made these church's up so were they can have their way with the word of GOD...It is their way to back up their own sinful lifestyle and no one can prove to me by the word of God that I am wrong...God have told me about this NoN/Denominational church's long time ago...I have always stood up for God and His word/BIBLE because man have always try to twist it to suite their own sinful lifestyle...I hope this will help you out, and for the people out their who don't like what I said I can only say to them talk it over with God not me...
yes thanx but our church is non-denominational because we consider ourselfs to be just christians no denomination need but disciples of Christ Jesus the head of the church your right...the only reason we are non denom is because we have no denomination lol and thats what they call us...

Upvote 0

Laffy4Christ

Jul 25, 2008
Gardena,california
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey Laffy, I'm new at this forum stuff, but I have to say that the last reply was very well said. I dont want to add to or take away anything from it. Just want to give you some encouragement.
I was introduced to Jesus shortly after I turned 18. My family disowned me, and got kicked out of the house. I totaly brought it on myself. But I cried out to God and sort of complained to Him about my delema. I had to sleep under a bridge the first night, but the next day, my life totally changed. Through a friend of the family, I was introduced to an assembly of God preacher named Mark House. For the first time in my life, this man told me about Jesus. In 18 years, he was the first. Anyway, I immediately accepted Him as Lord of my life. This guy told me that I was making a lifetime commitment. And asked me if I was sure thats what I wanted to do. Well I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I did. He convinced me to go to a Teen Challenge in Michigan. He had been the director of it in the past. It turns out TC is a crash course on the Bible. We didnt memorize verses, we memorized books! To make a long story short, I graduated the place, went back to Indiana. A year later, I found myself in a childrens home as a counselor, in "the ministry". And I was able to attend their Bible College. Truthfully, up to that time, I knew alot, but it was mostly the basics. I didnt start getting the "meat" till I went to college. They really have a way of opening your eyes to the things of God.
So my dear, be prepaired to be enlighted. Take in as much as you can. Digest it. We're talking about the Word of Almighty God. But, be aware that there are two kinds of teachings. Truth and error. In fact the NT is full of warnings about false teachers. You are on the right path. You know some truth. But dont believe everything you hear, or read. satan is out there perverting the truth. The more truth you know, the easier it is to spot the error.
Think of it like this, You know those invisible ink pens they have at the bank? The ones they use to test cash for its authenticity? Ok, Before they came out with those pens, do you know how bank tellers could tell the difference between real money and counterfeit? You would think they studied the counterfeit money, right? Wrong!!! They studied the real thing. It was a part of their daily routine, to count money. So, when any thing fake came along, it stuck out like a sore thumb. They couldnt study all the different kinds of counterfeit, there was too many types. You get the picture? You have God's Spirit in you. He is the one who leads you into all truth. It's not even something you have to pray for. When Jesus ascended, He left us His Spirit, our helper. It's already happened for us. He didnt tell us to pray for the Spirit's guidance, He told us, "He WILL lead you and guide you into ALL truth" Not maybe, it's a done deal. It's an UNCONDITIONAL promise!

Anyway, look up, your redemption draws near!
Thank you brother,this story is great it helped me a lot...i really want to go to a bible college and your right I agree 100% GOd bless:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Laffy4Christ

Jul 25, 2008
Gardena,california
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know that Jesus is the only way regardless of church but I was just wondering what is some thins we differ from...and non denomination is not a denomination it is just a saying for churches that don't believe in denomination but just believe in being disciples of Christ there is nothing wrong with denomination churches but I don't belong to one cause thats not where God wants me to be

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.