Public libraries - Conservatives team with politicians to remove books & board members

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
as if schools were not teaching "unpleasant chapters in American history" before all this nonsense
What? How can you misunderstand so badly? Yes, these unpleasant chapters were being taught. Students might have learned about Ruby Bridges and seen a Norman Rockwell painting or read a children's book on MLK's March on Washington. And now parents are yammering to ban them. Their precious children might have a sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟284,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟911,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you read what I posted? THIS WOMAN DID NOT WANT equality. She was surprised that MOST businesses in my state were not owned by women.

I've got more nonsense. A woman politician, who I won't name, said, "I have seen the future and it is female."

Or how about Feminist Icon, Gloria Steinem? "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."
Why do these women bother you so much? What would it matter if women did run most of the business? If they are more successful as entrepreneurs than men then let them take over. Men have dominated most of history and if women today (finally) take a more dominant role I”m all for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟144,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
"move society"? Where? Why? Normal people are doing normal things right now. Leftists worship the god Change. Society does not need to move anywhere. People with gender dysphoria need to see competent doctors. Books about queer kids doing queer things aimed at kids need to be banned. Teachers hiding kids that are transitioning from their parents should be fired. The Left wants to distort society. So every time they want to "move" it, we will move it back.
We should have left things alone…when exactly?
When in American history has everything been “more perfect”?

While society is more than just what the government does, very often those whom would like to it [society] to change in a certain direction will get the government to do the dirty work and try to legislate guide rails to a more just and verdant society, often with mixed results.

This is our process, this is how we accomplish this task of moving society this way (or that).

Is it tiring and a constant struggle?
Yes!

Libraries are a great place for this to happen.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,195,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"cohabitation" without marriage is not "antiquated." The left creates a fake reality by keeping laws they like and calling laws they don't like "antiquated." I'm glad some people oppose fiction when they see it.
The state has no business policing consenting adults living together.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,671.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Comedy? Where? Let's trash politicians we don't like but only Conservative types. Only.
52ad3a7aeab8eadb2e2119a4

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like an interesting concept. Is this a public school? Are these classes electives? Do they take place during regular class hours?
Yes, yes and yes.

So you'd agree that giving the parents a choice in whether their children attend something is entirely up to them? And you have no say in it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟338,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal
If you don't wish to share forum space with non-christians, there are a lot of sub-forums on this site that only allow christian denominations.

Or maybe you should stop posting for a few hours, grab something to eat and go outside. Watch a sunset or something.
Aren't you guys the ones telling US to be quiet and keep to ourselves? Like you don't want to share a space with us and our religious views. Then we ask you why your here then and you tell us to go somewhere else again!?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟338,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes, yes and yes.

So you'd agree that giving the parents a choice in whether their children attend something is entirely up to them? And you have no say in it?

It's an interesting concept. I'm not sure still about it. But like I have said if you want to queer and sexualize your kids that's up to you to a point. Because at some point when people act sexually inappropriate around kids it's abuse. In my opinion sexualizing children borders on child abuse. So I'm not sold completely on the idea.

As I've said we as a society have a responsibility to protect children. That's why we Don't ALLOW PARENTS TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT WITH KIDS.

Color me skeptical on what the schools would do with this freedom. I don't trust them. But I do get the concept.

I'm just struggling with using tax dollars brainwash kids and fill them with unscientific propaganda. As I've said if you as a parent want to teach your kid all about LGBT stuff and tell them boys can be girls and read them books that queer them, be my guest. That's on you. But I am not sure I want my tax dollars spent on it in school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟338,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal

In May, Gov. Bill Lee signed HB 580, a law aimed at banning so-called critical race theory from schools. Educators argue that critical race theory is not taught or included in the K-12 curriculum and is usually an elective class in college or law school.

Section 51, part 6 of the Tennessee law makes lesson plans illegal if students “feel discomfort, guilt, or anguish.”

[Moms for Liberty's] Steenman doesn’t like a lot of the curriculum at Williamson County Schools. But four books in the second-grade lessons plans are the target of her campaign.

Three of the books, about the civil rights movement, are problematic for the way they’re taught, she says. One is a children’s book about the March on Washington written for young readers.

Two tell the story of Ruby Bridges, a 6-year-old who integrated an elementary school in New Orleans in 1960. “Ruby Bridges Goes To School,” written for elementary school students by Bridges herself, is fine for kids to read, Steenman says. But she says teachers should not be allowed to lead discussions of the pictures in the book – one of which is the famous Norman Rockwell painting of Ruby, the US Marshals who had to protect her from an angry segregationist White crowd, and the ugly slur hurled at her by adults.

Florida bill to shield people from feeling ‘discomfort’ over historic actions by their race, nationality or gender approved by Senate committee​

The legislation would prohibit individuals from making people “feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin.”

The law, which passed, has been declared unconstitutional with respect to employers and universities, on the basis that it restricts free speech. But it still applies to K-12, and obviously it restricts free speech that might cause students 'discomfort'.

So legislation against CRT is muzzling history? CRT isn't history. It's called Critical Race Theory. Not history. Fail number one.

Lesson plans or teachers who make people feel guilty because they belong to a certain race are also not history. So, fail number two.

I don't really know why you think making kids feel guilty over history they were never part has anything to do with history. Psychological distress over their race should never be a part of schooling and isn't history. It's psychological blackmail.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So legislation against CRT is muzzling history?

Right, but what was actually being complained about? Not CRT, but Ruby Bridges and the March on Washington.
I don't really know why you think making kids feel guilty over history they were never part has anything to do with history.
It isn't, but that's the excuse under this law being given to not teach about Ruby Bridges and the March on Washington.

CRT was always a phantom menace, but it's being used to ban real history.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟338,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Right, but what was actually being complained about? Not CRT, but Ruby Bridges and the March on Washington.

It isn't, but that's the excuse under this law being given to not teach about Ruby Bridges and the March on Washington.

CRT was always a phantom menace, but it's being used to ban real history.
Well it's been proven it wasn't. But I know you ignored the proof. So be it.

I've said this before. We can't show and tell every single moment in history that occurred. It seems like anytime that something happens you guys all go out and claim people are muzzling history. Good grief. There are literally millions of historical stories out there and school doesn't have enough time to spend in all of them.

I will say this though I have no issue with the Ruby story. I don't really care. And Steenman did describe her issues.

She's not trying to muzzle history. She said the history is not age appropriate for second graders. It sounds like she believes that the lessons are divisive and leave the impression that all white people are bad and there's not enough done to show haw gar we've come since then.

In Steenman’s letter, viewed by Reuters, she said the books and pedagogy are divisive, giving children the impression that all white people are “bad” and that people of color are mistreated by whites.

Speaking to Reuters at her home last month, Steenman said she believes this history is not age-appropriate for second graders, and that it doesn’t do enough to explain the country’s progress.

It sounds like there would be some room for acceptability in her mind if the lessons were written differently.

I don't know that I agree with he as I have really seen the lessons or anything. So I don't know and can't make any kind of an informed opinion on it. But it doesn't sound like she wants the story completely banned from all curriculum of all ages. Sometimes parents just feel stuff is not suitable for the kids at certain ages. It's their opinion and they have right to have it addressed. I may not share the opinion but im okay with that. I don't know that the Bridges story would ruin any kid by itself. But the way the story is taught might psychologically distress a young child who is not mentally prepared for the lesson.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,755,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a clean up.

Folks, it is best to stop responding to trolls and simply report their posts.

Opening this thread. Keep it civil.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟832,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The lawsuit also alleged that the county improperly fired librarian Suzette Baker, who oversaw a library branch in the community of Kingsland, because she refused to remove books from the shelves, created a display of historically banned books such as “To Kill a Mockingbird” and sat in on one of the new library board meetings — which was happening in her own library.

The county has said it will not comment on personnel matters; Baker said Monday that she is continuing to pursue her own legal options regarding her dismissal.

Librarian sues Texas county after being fired for refusing to remove banned books

Plaintiff Suzette Baker, a Texas native, was the head librarian at the Kingsland Public Library in Llano County, about 65 miles northwest of Austin. She is suing the county, the county Commissioners Court, County Judge Ron Cunningham and several community activists who were appointed to the Library Advisory Board during a push for book removals.

Baker is arguing that terminating her employment constitutes discrimination against minority groups through book bans, suppressing her First Amendment rights as well as those of other residents. The complaint seeks back pay, attorney's fees and an injunction ordering the county to cease behavior that discriminates against minorities and suppresses residents' First Amendment rights.

A veteran and mother of five adult children, Baker had more than a decade of experience as a librarian before joining the library and loved her job, which she considered her life’s calling.

In January 2022, the Commissioners Court, Cunningham and Commissioner Jerry Don Moss voted to dissolve the county's library advisory board and appoint 12 new members, all of whom were part of the community group pushing for book removals, the lawsuit says.

A group of Llano County residents who opposed the censorship filed a lawsuit in April 2022 [I think that must be the one in the quote and post #36]. A judge for the Western District of Texas ruled the court had violated First Amendment rights and issued a preliminary injunction that ordered the county to replace numerous books in April 2023. [That's currently on appeal]

Upvote 0