Protestant Converts to Eastern Orthodoxy:Questions.

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. What made you consider Eastern Orthodoxy?
2. Were there any EO teachings that you struggled with? Still Struggle with?
3. Did you have an EO parish near you? Did you have to travel?
4. Why did you choose the EO church over Roman Catholicism?
5. Were you rebaptized or just chrismated?
6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?(Yeah I know the Holy Spirit but....)

RCC converts to EO can chime in too.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?(Yeah I know the Holy Spirit but....)

I was largely unaware of Eastern Orthodoxy, thinking it was just another flavor of Catholic, until two seemingly unrelated events took place. I became very interested in per-schism Celtic Saints/locations (Brendan, Patrick etc Iona, Lindensfarne etc). Also, my daughter was studying art and became intrigued with iconography and wanted to see some in person.

We ended up going to the 'Greek Festival' in order to look at icons and enjoy some food and music... then we went back the next year. After that, we skipped a year and went back again to the Festival and I picked up a brochure in the Narthex explaining eastern Orthodoxy and another showing a timeline of church history. I read/researched those issues at home.
However, there was a long prelude even to those events.
It took me longer to embrace some of the teachings surrounding the Theotokos than anything else. This is no longer an issue.
During my catechism, I had several "AHa!!!" moments where old conflicting thoughts were finally resolved, this was actually more of a deciding issue in favor of EO for me than the challenge of the few things I struggled to accept. My daughter wanted to be catechumen before I did, I had to take her because she doesn't drive. I sat in, originally for my own info and was drawn in by what I learned, and even moreso by things I knew to be true but absent in my own tradition that were in EO. (if this makes sense)
If 15 miles is near - yes. if that's traveling, we travel. :) There are two parishes relativley near us, a small parish that is a smidge closer by miles but further in travel time and the one we attend.
Too many years of innovation.. and I knew it was innovation (Immaculate Conception of Mary as example, the Pope being another.) having grown up in the anti-Catholic Church.
It was never a consideration. I tend to think I would have ended up either in a Restoration Movement church or 'high church' protestant, or frankly nowhere at all before becoming Catholic.
I was received by Chrismation.
6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?
(see point two) ..one of the big points was that EO do NOT have the Calvin/Arminian debate. That is a non-issue in the east due to the EO understanding of Ancestral Sin, Theosis etc.. that was one issue I regularly struggled with, back/forth, in my old tradition.
That was resolved with EO teaching for me.
Another was that my studies of history and theology were confirming more and more that there were serious challenges within my former tradition that I could not reconcile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. I found Orthodoxy by accident, I was actually looking into Roman Catholicism, after I felt Protestantism was not the Church in the Book of Acts founded by the Apostles, I just found Protestantism to be divided, flawed and non-apostolic. I grew up in a nominally Lutheran family, so I found it incomplete,cthe Lutheran service being a actual watered down version of the Catholic mass.

2. I struggle at times with my own sins more than any Orthodox theology, well maybe I struggledwith obedience to a spiritual father, how much in Orthodoxy not set in a neat perfect way in its theology, and mysticism (where as in the west the churches try to package everything perfectly) , the culture shock in parishes being so ethnic, yet I deal with them, and I am at peace now in Orthodoxy.

3. I go to a Greek parish, half a hour by car(if there no traffic) , the Russian Church is closer yet my spiritual father serves at Greek Church

4.the Latin Church and theology is so wrapped up in rationalism, Scholasticism, and a top down system, papal infalibilty is false misinterpreting about Peter being the Rock, also the Humanistic renaissance played a a huge role in the Latins devolpments whatever it purgatory, papal indulgences, 3-d realism in art & statues, also devolpments in doctrine at VaticanI and VaticanII, also the filioque being added to the creed around the time of the Frankish empire.

5. I was rebaptized because I couldn't find ny baptismal certificate, just listen to the bishop instructions concerning getting chrismated or baptized

6. My salvation, I realized Orthodoxy is the fullness of the Christian faith, neither added or subtracted to the faith.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. my college campus had an active OCF and an Orthodox street preacher.

2. Mary was the biggie, even after my conversion.

3. Church was 3 blocks from campus.

4. as I looked at Church history, it became clear who changed at the Great Schism.

5. baptism.

6. the life of St Herman of Alaska. I saw what was lived in the Gospel and in Acts in the life of a 19th century man in North America.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was largely unaware of Eastern Orthodoxy, thinking it was just another flavor of Catholic, until two seemingly unrelated events took place. I became very interested in per-schism Celtic Saints/locations (Brendan, Patrick etc Iona, Lindensfarne etc). Also, my daughter was studying art and became intrigued with iconography and wanted to see some in person.

We ended up going to the 'Greek Festival' in order to look at icons and enjoy some food and music... then we went back the next year. After that, we skipped a year and went back again to the Festival and I picked up a brochure in the Narthex explaining eastern Orthodoxy and another showing a timeline of church history. I read/researched those issues at home.
It took me longer to embrace some of the teachings surrounding the Theotokos than anything else. This is no longer an issue.
During my catechism, I had several "AHa!!!" moments where old conflicting thoughts were finally resolved, this was actually more of a deciding issue in favor of EO for me than the challenge of the few things I struggled to accept. My daughter wanted to be catechumen before I did, I had to take her because she doesn't drive. I sat in, originally for my own info and was drawn in by what I learned, and even moreso by things I knew to be true but absent in my own tradition that were in EO. (if this makes sense)
If 15 miles is near - yes. if that's traveling, we travel. :) There are two parishes relativley near us, a small parish that is a smidge closer by miles but further in travel time and the one we attend.
Too many years of innovation.. and I knew it was innovation (Immaculate Conception of Mary as example, the Pope being another.) having grown up in the anti-Catholic Church.
It was never a consideration. I tend to think I would have ended up either in a Restoration Movement church or 'high church' protestant, or frankly nowhere at all before becoming Catholic.
(see point two) ..one of the big points was that EO do NOT have the Calvin/Arminian debate. That is a non-issue in the east due to the EO understanding of Ancestral Sin, Theosis etc.. that was one issue I regularly struggled with, back/forth, in my old tradition.
Another was that my studies of history and theology were confirming more and more that there were serious challenges within my former tradition that I could not reconcile.
15 miles would be awesome for me, for me it's 80!

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. my college campus had an active OCF and an Orthodox street preacher.

2. Mary was the biggie, even after my conversion.

3. Church was 3 blocks from campus.

4. as I looked at Church history, it became clear who changed at the Great Schism.

5. baptism.

6. the life of St Herman of Alaska. I saw what was lived in the Gospel and in Acts in the life of a 19th century man in North America.
Oddly enough Mary is no problem for me as I have always had a sorta devotion to Mary and wondered why we ignore her in Protestantism(reaction against RCC excesses) The EO have the most balanced view of Mary in my opinion.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. I found Orthodoxy by accident, I was actually looking into Roman Catholicism, after I felt Protestantism was not the Church in the Book of Acts founded by the Apostles, I just found Protestantism to be divided, flawed and non-apostolic. I grew up in a nominally Lutheran family, so I found it incomplete,cthe Lutheran service being a actual watered down version of the Catholic mass.

2. I struggle at times with my own sins more than any Orthodox theology, well maybe I struggledwith obedience to a spiritual father, how much in Orthodoxy not set in a neat perfect way in its theology, and mysticism (where as in the west the churches try to package everything perfectly) , the culture shock in parishes being so ethnic, yet I deal with them, and I am at peace now in Orthodoxy.

3. I go to a Greek parish, half a hour by car(if there no traffic) , the Russian Church is closer yet my spiritual father serves at Greek Church

4.the Latin Church and theology is so wrapped up in rationalism, Scholasticism, and a top down system, papal infalibilty is false misinterpreting about Peter being the Rock, also the Humanistic renaissance played a a huge role in the Latins devolpments whatever it purgatory, papal indulgences, 3-d realism in art & statues, also devolpments in doctrine at VaticanI and VaticanII, also the filioque being added to the creed around the time of the Frankish empire.

5. I was rebaptized because I couldn't find ny baptismal certificate, just listen to the bishop instructions concerning getting chrismated or baptized

6. My salvation, I realized Orthodoxy is the fullness of the Christian faith, neither added or subtracted to the faith.
Interesting. My dh was Baptized by immersion in a lake (as a Baptist) as an adult. No records that I know of. If we went EO he may have to be re-baptized.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oddly enough Mary is no problem for me as I have always had a sorta devotion to Mary and wondered why we ignore her in Protestantism(reaction against RCC excesses) The EO have the most balanced view of Mary in my opinion.
I more agree with the RCC view of original sin, though. I debated a lot of my LDS relatives on that issue, (LDS do not believe in original sin) and always held the Western church view. Plus it's the closest to what I see in human nature(especially raising children)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yeah, it wasn't the idea of praying to her, but some of the stuff that the Orthodox say about her (like she is the Burning Bush, Jacob's Ladder, etc.). which nowadays makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I had only known "Church history" through a particular Protestant lens - the early Church became corrupt (i.e. Catholicism), the Protestant reformation and onwards. I was very frustrated that almost any doctrine and it's antithesis was embraced somewhere in Protestantism, tired of contradictions and not knowing what to believe. Had made mistakes following my own guidance "just me and Jesus" (I got into water too deep and God allowed me to flounder, which I suppose was ultimately good for me.)

I was exploring everything just to understand history and theology better, and started seeing really thought-provoking answers that just felt deeply right in many cases attached to "Orthodox" persons, and I started asking "what is this 'Orthodox' - I've never heard of it?"

Continuing to learn Church history and looking at theology and how it changed and why was a huge part of pushing me down that path.

I struggled with almost everything lol. Beginning with baptismal regeneration. (Though oddly I had a real belief in grace via Holy Communion so that and the Scriptures helped.)

I also struggled with venerating icons, prayers to the Saints, everything to do with the Theotokos. The true understanding of God as both good and loving was actually something of a huge revelation, and that was really the key to understanding most of the rest.

I still struggled with some things related to the Theotokos when I was baptized. Holdover from anti-Catholic teaching. I don't struggle with anything anymore. Though I don't ask for intercessions as often as I imagine most Orthodox do.

I am almost perfectly equi-distant from three parishes. Almost an hour drive. I visited the two in the city I usually go to first, I attend the Greek one there. I've visited the other. And when I do travel, I visit every parish I can find with any service.

Catholicism was never really an option. I knew (even in my limited understanding) that they had changed some things. And my husband made me promise I wouldn't go to a Catholic Church when I was seeking. I think he would have divorced me. If it was really an absolute choice between what God wanted and what my husband wanted, I would have chosen God. But I don't think such a scenario would really have happened in my case.

Baptized. My priest would have accepted (I think) my memory though I lacked the certificate, but what really bothers me is that I wasn't sure it was Trinitarian though I was baptized in a baptist denomination. My daughter was baptized by a Baptist preacher as a child, and I distinctly remember he baptized her "in Jesus' name" because I was (confused and) happy about that at the time.

Probably being in a Divine Liturgy. It was a completely amazing experience - as though heaven was opened and joined to earth - all present in the same space. And I've had "experiences" before that - intense ones at times - but this was unique. For the first time I understood being in awe of God. At least from that point I never wanted to be anywhere else for Church. I'm not sure I was convinced to actually convert just yet, but all other "church" was of zero interest to me from that point. I couldn't bear the thought of missing what I'd found in that Divine Liturgy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I am still just a catechumen...

1. I was looking to deepen my prayer life, sought answers to questions from Eastern Orthodox on the Jesus Prayer, and found a fullness and a depth in Orthodoxy that was lacking in my Protestant hpbringing and church.
2. It took me awhile to come around to venerating the Saints.
3. The first EO Divine Liturgy I went to was about an hour drive from my house. I have been attending a parish now about 30 minute drive away.
4. There were too many things about the RCC that didn’t seem right to me - papal infallibility, a legal mindset about salvation (that I find in Protestantism too), the Immaculate Conception - and, quite frankly, the widespread pedophilia and coverups that seem to have infested the Roman Church; it also seemed to me that what Rome was lacking, the East had - a friend said to me that the Orthodox were “more Catholic than the Catholics” ... and I think there is some truth to that, but I find the East to make more sense, be more complete and it just seemed right.
5. I will be baptized, but I understand that this decision varies between jurisdictions and also depends on the form of a previous baptism.
6. Eastern Orthodoxy makes sense to me, feels right, and appears to have a depth which I haven’t found elsewhere. I appreciate the link to and continuation of the early Church.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yeah, it wasn't the idea of praying to her, but some of the stuff that the Orthodox say about her (like she is the Burning Bush, Jacob's Ladder, etc.). which nowadays makes perfect sense to me.
Confessional Lutherans strive to be "Christ centered" which I agree with but sometimes I think they go to far in avoiding her. I believe the RCC goes a little too far in the opposite direction, however.
The one Marian apparition I do appreciate is Our Lady of Guadelupe. The others I find a bit frightening.
I have looked at and read about the first 7 Ecumenical councils and honoring Mary as the Mother of God as in the council of Ephesus? (not sure) ensures the humanity of Jesus.
I think I had a misunderstanding that Catholics don't "worship" Mary, they venerte her.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had only known "Church history" through a particular Protestant lens - the early Church became corrupt (i.e. Catholicism), the Protestant reformation and onwards. I was very frustrated that almost any doctrine and it's antithesis was embraced somewhere in Protestantism, tired of contradictions and not knowing what to believe. Had made mistakes following my own guidance "just me and Jesus" (I got into water too deep and God allowed me to flounder, which I suppose was ultimately good for me.)

I was exploring everything just to understand history and theology better, and started seeing really thought-provoking answers that just felt deeply right in many cases attached to "Orthodox" persons, and I started asking "what is this 'Orthodox' - I've never heard of it?"

Continuing to learn Church history and looking at theology and how it changed and why was a huge part of pushing me down that path.

I struggled with almost everything lol. Beginning with baptismal regeneration. (Though oddly I had a real belief in grace via Holy Communion so that and the Scriptures helped.)

I also struggled with venerating icons, prayers to the Saints, everything to do with the Theotokos. The true understanding of God as both good and loving was actually something of a huge revelation, and that was really the key to understanding most of the rest.

I still struggled with some things related to the Theotokos when I was baptized. Holdover from anti-Catholic teaching. I don't struggle with anything anymore. Though I don't ask for intercessions as often as I imagine most Orthodox do.

I am almost perfectly equi-distant from three parishes. Almost an hour drive. I visited the two in the city I usually go to first, I attend the Greek one there. I've visited the other. And when I do travel, I visit every parish I can find with any service.

Catholicism was never really an option. I knew (even in my limited understanding) that they had changed some things. And my husband made me promise I wouldn't go to a Catholic Church when I was seeking. I think he would have divorced me. If it was really an absolute choice between what God wanted and what my husband wanted, I would have chosen God. But I don't think such a scenario would really have happened in my case.

Baptized. My priest would have accepted (I think) my memory though I lacked the certificate, but what really bothers me is that I wasn't sure it was Trinitarian though I was baptized in a baptist denomination. My daughter was baptized by a Baptist preacher as a child, and I distinctly remember he baptized her "in Jesus' name" because I was (confused and) happy about that at the time.

Probably being in a Divine Liturgy. It was a completely amazing experience - as though heaven was opened and joined to earth - all present in the same space. And I've had "experiences" before that - intense ones at times - but this was unique. For the first time I understood being in awe of God. At least from that point I never wanted to be anywhere else for Church. I'm not sure I was convinced to actually convert just yet, but all other "church" was of zero interest to me from that point. I couldn't bear the thought of missing what I'd found in that Divine Liturgy.
I guess being raised Lutheran baptismal regeneration was no problem for me(although I spent some years in a non-denominational church which had believer's baptism and symbolic only Eucharist.)
Yeah, oldest son(an adult) is not too keen on the Catholic Church-but of course it's not his decision.
During his younger years when he was in(Lutheran) confirmation class his Roman Catholic friends seemed to know nothing of the Bible or who certain Bibical characters were. Of course their parents may have been lax Catholics but it really made him think they don't teach anything in the RCC which I'm not sure is true...So he really hopes we don't go Catholic.
My friend and his wife (Presbyterians)also attended RICA but dropped out- too liberal of a parish-I've heard that more than once, but I've been impressed with the Cathechism of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am still just a catechumen...

1. I was looking to deepen my prayer life, sought answers to questions from Eastern Orthodox on the Jesus Prayer, and found a fullness and a depth in Orthodoxy that was lacking in my Protestant hpbringing and church.
2. It took me awhile to come around to venerating the Saints.
3. The first EO Divine Liturgy I went to was about an hour drive from my house. I have been attending a parish now about 30 minute drive away.
4. There were too many things about the RCC that didn’t seem right to me - papal infallibility, a legal mindset about salvation (that I find in Protestantism too), the Immaculate Conception - and, quite frankly, the widespread pedophilia and coverups that seem to have infested the Roman Church; it also seemed to me that what Rome was lacking, the East had - a friend said to me that the Orthodox were “more Catholic than the Catholics” ... and I think there is some truth to that, but I find the East to make more sense, be more complete and it just seemed right.
5. I will be baptized, but I understand that this decision varies between jurisdictions and also depends on the form of a previous baptism.
6. Eastern Orthodoxy makes sense to me, feels right, and appears to have a depth which I haven’t found elsewhere. I appreciate the link to and continuation of the early Church.
Keep us updated- Thanks for your responses!!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Confessional Lutherans strive to be "Christ centered" which I agree with but sometimes I think they go to far in avoiding her. I believe the RCC goes a little too far in the opposite direction, however.
The one Marian apparition I do appreciate is Our Lady of Guadelupe. The others I find a bit frightening.
I have looked at and read about the first 7 Ecumenical councils and honoring Mary as the Mother of God as in the council of Ephesus? (not sure) ensures the humanity of Jesus.
I think I had a misunderstanding that Catholics don't "worship" Mary, they venerte her.

yes, Ephesus was what clarified that she is the Mother of God, and pretty much all the following Councils unpack that mystery.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I also saw a timeline of church history which showed one Church until 1054. A.D.
the issue I do have with Protestantism is a lack of history.
#2 Yes that does make sense I have those beliefs too, which is why I first started looking at the RCC.

Upvote 0

Varangian Christian

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I can really answer all the questions because I have not yet been able to attend a divine liturgy or begin the catechumen process in the Church, but what drew me in to Orthodoxy was the writings of Ignatius of Antioch. I always loved history and during my seminary studies I became interested in the early church Fathers, using them often as my sources. As time went on I started having questions about the nature of salvation and the Church, whether it really did apostatize so soon after Christ's resurrection, and then one day I read these words by Ignatius:

"As therefore the Lord did nothing without the Father, being united to Him, neither by Himself nor by the apostles, so neither do ye anything without the bishop and presbyters. Neither endeavour that anything appear reasonable and proper to yourselves apart; but being come together into the same place, let there be one prayer, one supplication, one mind, one hope, in love and in joy undefiled. There is one Jesus Christ, than whom nothing is more excellent. Do ye therefore all run together as into one temple of God, as to one altar, as to one Jesus Christ, who came forth from one Father, and is with and has gone to one." - Ignatius Epistle to the Magnesians

Reading this really stuck with me. The disciple of the Apostle John was commanding for church hierarchy, and not the kind we see today in Protestantism with uneducated laymen popping up churches left and right, this hierarchy was made up of bishops and priests who had real authority! I then dug into more of the Patristic fathers and found the early church was sacramental, ordered, unified and valued Apostolic succession. After this I began looking at everything in a new light, especially the verses in Scripture regarding the Church which only make sense if it is a single unified body, and now I am convinced I must be a part of it. Thanks be to God for the Holy Spirit's guidance, and thanks to Saint Ignatius. :clap:

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. I have spent most of my life in churches that to be honest just didn't make a lot of sense to me. What I read in my Bible and what I experienced in church did not relate. I finally came to the point where I could not live like this anymore. Starting from where I was, I started working through the history of the church and theology. The first time I read On the Incarnation was something of an epiphany. It was just so simple and clear. Anyway, lots more reading later I discover that this church of these early father's still exists. I am not part of it yet, but I hope to become a catechumen in the next few weeks.

2. So far, no. At this point, things I don't understand, I put aside, trusting that God will make it clear and that the church knows what it is doing. Right now, everything just seems so right and good. I'm sure that as the honeymoon phase passes I will find more things to struggle with, but that's okay. It's in the struggle that a person grows.

3. The first parish I went to was just over a three hour drive away. There is now a closer parish about 160 km away, about a 2 1/2 hr drive in winter, if the roads are passable. Right now I am able to get there only once a month.

4. I followed history, and history led to the original church.

5. I will do whatever my bishop and priest recommend, though my preference would be to be baptized. Though I was sprinkled as a child in the Anglican Church, and was baptized in my youth in a non denominational church, I would prefer to have things done properly.

6. I'm not sure about last things, but the first thing that really convinced me of the Orthodox Church was prayer. I purchased an Orthodox prayer book, and started praying those prayers. There were some things I wasn't comfortable with, so skipped over, and there are still a few phrases that my overly literal mind stumbles on, but the change God has wrought in me through this discipline is undeniable.

Another aspect of Orthodoxy that really speaks to me is its wholeness. Where the theology I experienced in protestantism has a tendency to dissect the faith into pieces to understand how it works, orthodoxy treats the faith as a whole and living thing where all parts are properly and necessarily joined together in order to function as it is meant to.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if I can really answer all the questions because I have not yet been able to attend a divine liturgy or begin the catechumen process in the Church, but what drew me in to Orthodoxy was the writings of Ignatius of Antioch. I always loved history and during my seminary studies I became interested in the early church Fathers, using them often as my sources. As time went on I started having questions about the nature of salvation and the Church, whether it really did apostatize so soon after Christ's resurrection, and then one day I read these words by Ignatius:

"As therefore the Lord did nothing without the Father, being united to Him, neither by Himself nor by the apostles, so neither do ye anything without the bishop and presbyters. Neither endeavour that anything appear reasonable and proper to yourselves apart; but being come together into the same place, let there be one prayer, one supplication, one mind, one hope, in love and in joy undefiled. There is one Jesus Christ, than whom nothing is more excellent. Do ye therefore all run together as into one temple of God, as to one altar, as to one Jesus Christ, who came forth from one Father, and is with and has gone to one." - Ignatius Epistle to the Magnesians

Reading this really stuck with me. The disciple of the Apostle John was commanding for church hierarchy, and not the kind we see today in Protestantism with uneducated laymen popping up churches left and right, this hierarchy was made up of bishops and priests who had real authority! I then dug into more of the Patristic fathers and found the early church was sacramental, ordered, unified and valued Apostolic succession. After this I began looking at everything in a new light, especially the verses in Scripture regarding the Church which only make sense if it is a single unified body, and now I am convinced I must be a part of it. Thanks be to God for the Holy Spirit's guidance, and thanks to Saint Ignatius. :clap:
What you said about uneducated pastors is one of several reasons why I went back to the confessional Lutheranism of my childhood, as I spent several years after re-committing my life to Christ at age 30 in a non-denominational church, Lutheran pastors have to attend seminary (after a 4 year college degree) study Greek and Hebrew, ect. (Although the Lutheran church lacks bishops which I see existed very early on)
The other reasons, more connection to Church History,
and the sacraments being properly administered.

Upvote 0