Are Eastern Catholics and traditional Catholics Orthodox in denial [CONTROVERSIAL]

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was talking to a traditional Catholic and they recognize the errors of Vatican 2. Byzantine / Eastern Catholics also see the error of Rome such as the filoque. Most of it seems to be over the simplifification of the liturgy by Rome. While l I do NOT harbor any animosity towards Catholics I just seems like Byzantine Catholics and traditional Catholics would be better off converting with Orthodox instead of continuing the facade of being in communion with the Roman Church which over time has seriously degraded. George Joseph and Carl have really sacrificed the faith to modernity(colloqually known as wokeness) in a futile attempt to seem relevant. Perhaps we could use a form of ecumenicalism as a form to convert them to our side. Perhaps if needed we could convert entire parishes to Orthodoxy. I encourage Christians of all denominations to return to traditionalism.IF THIS BREAKS ANY GUIDELINES I APOLOGIZE

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I was talking to a traditional Catholic and they recognize the errors of Vatican 2. Byzantine / Eastern Catholics also see the error of Rome such as the filoque. Most of it seems to be over the simplifification of the liturgy by Rome. While l I do NOT harbor any animosity towards Catholics I just seems like Byzantine Catholics and traditional Catholics would be better off converting with Orthodox instead of continuing the facade of being in communion with the Roman Church which over time has seriously degraded. George Joseph and Carl have really sacrificed the faith to modernity(colloqually known as wokeness) in a futile attempt to seem relevant. Perhaps we could use a form of ecumenicalism as a form to convert them to our side. Perhaps if needed we could convert entire parishes to Orthodoxy. I encourage Christians of all denominations to return to traditionalism.IF THIS BREAKS ANY GUIDELINES I APOLOGIZE

Actually, many Byzantine Catholic parishes were converted to Orthodoxy under St. Alexis Toth, joining the Russian Orthodox Church, and winding up distributed between the OCA, ROCOR, and presumably one or two of the small number of parishes that remained under the MP directly. Later, in the 1920s, the Greek Orthodox Church set up the American Carpatho-Rusyn Orthodox diocese which converted still more.

One thing which helped drive these conversions was the stupid decision of the Latin Rite bishops in North America to prohibit married Eastern Catholic priests from continuing to serve unless they separated from their wives, which was met with dismay by many Byzantine Catholics.

One also suspects that some people were members of the Eastern Catholic churches owing to political circumstances: consider how in Prussia, the Lutheran and Calvinist churches had been forcibly united by the Calvinist Hohenzollern monarchy, and initially the Prussian immigrants to the US continued to worship together, but quickly broke apart into separate Lutheran and Calvinist denominations, the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, which managed to narrowly avoid the extreme left wing theology of the LCA and ALC, which then merged into ELCA (see the Seminex controversy; indeed the LCMS was even partnered with the LCA and ALC on the development of the Lutheran Book of Worship, in close coordination with the Episcopal Church and their 1979 Book of Common Prayer), and has since become one of the most traditional and conservative of the larger liturgical Protestant churches in the US, while on the other hand, the Calvinists formed the Evangelical Synod in North America, which would merge with the colonial-era Reformed Church in the United States, which was predominantly German, unlike the predominantly Dutch Reformed Church in America, which still exists, and this combined entity, the Evangelical and Reformed Church, merged with the larger number of Congregationalist churches (whose conferendce had already been vacated by the conservative Congregationalist parishes like Park Street Church in Boston), to form the United Church of Christ, whose extreme liberalism I have been rather too close to for my own personal comfort.

While religious freedom is much more widespread, it seems that we can attract converts from Eastern Catholic churches in predominantly Muslim areas, specifically the Melkite Patriarchate of Antioch, since due to conditions in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East, there are places where for some people who might otherwise be Orthodox, the only option is the local Melkite parish.

But we are most likely to win converts over due to the disastrous decisions recently made by Latin Rite bishops of the very highest rank, for example, Traditiones Custodes, which if enforced with any more severity by the Congregation for Divine Worship, will likely encourage those Catholics who love the traditional liturgy to join either Western Rite Orthodox churches or Continuing Anglican Churches, some of whom use the Anglican Missal, which is an English translation of the Roman missal, just as the Antiochian Western Rite Vicarate has, in its excellent St. Andrew’s Prayer Book, in addition to an Anglican-based Divine Liturgy of St. Tikhon, a Roman Rite based Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory.

I also believe that the Orthodox Church should try to pick up estranged traditionalist parishes from the Episcopal church and from ACNA, for there are conservative parishes therein which are not happy about the liberal stances the ECUSA takes on a great many issues, and which furthermore in many cases are at best ambivalent towards the filioque. It is worth noting that within global Anglicanism there has been, for over a decade now, a movement called “Drop the Filioque!” As the name implies, this seeks to correct the Nicene Creed in their prayerbooks for the same reasons that the Orthodox reject it. And we can go a step further, since the Orthodox also have in our Apostolic deposit of faith the original version of the canticle “Quincunque Vult”, also known as the “Athanasian Creed”, although I doubt it was originally used as a creed due to the canons of the Council of Ephesus, but was rather used as a dogmatic canticle along the lines of Te Deum Laudamus, and indeed among Anglicans it was commonly used as a canticle as recently as fifty or sixty years ago, before its disuse spread from the Episcopal Church into other provinces. The version we have lacks the implied filioque, and can be found in the Jordanville Psalter (specifically, in the edition known as A Psalter for Prayer, which I absolutely love; I have this Psalter in eBook format).

Also, the opportunity is not just at converting Western Rite Catholics, but also, as you suggested, Eastern Rite Catholics, for a great many of them, while not directly affected by Traditiones Custodes, are extremely upset about Fiducia Supplicans. The latter is contrary to the Orthodox Faith, and most Byzantine Rite Catholics I know of regard themselves as Orthodox in communion with Rome, and Increasingly see it as part of their vocation to try to inject Orthodox spirituality into the Roman Catholic communion.

By the way, the only churches whose liturgy actually benefitted from Vatican II were the Eastern Rite Catholics, in that Vatican II promoted the de-Latinization of their liturgies.

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
they’re not Orthodox in denial. they’re not Orthodox. I think it’s better to say they are non-Orthodox in the right direction.

Indeed. I like to regard certain traditional liturgical Christians who are close to Orthodoxy as headed towards Orthodoxy. Your phrase I think is even better; I like how it suggests positive movement.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. I like to regard certain traditional liturgical Christians who are close to Orthodoxy as headed towards Orthodoxy. Your phrase I think is even better; I like how it suggests positive movement.
no problem!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One thing which helped drive these conversions was the stupid decision of the Latin Rite bishops in North America to prohibit married Eastern Catholic priests from continuing to serve unless they separated from their wives, which was met with dismay by many Byzantine Catholics.
I have suggested, tongue firmly in cheek, that there is a case for the canonisation of Bishop John Ireland because of his efforts leading to the conversion of entire parishes to Orthodox :holy:

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, many Byzantine Catholic parishes were converted to Orthodoxy under St. Alexis Toth, joining the Russian Orthodox Church, and winding up distributed between the OCA, ROCOR, and presumably one or two of the small number of parishes that remained under the MP directly. Later, in the 1920s, the Greek Orthodox Church set up the American Carpatho-Rusyn Orthodox diocese which converted still more.

One also suspects that some people were members of the Eastern Catholic churches owing to political circumstances: consider how in Prussia, the Lutheran and Calvinist churches had been forcibly united by the Calvinist Hohenzollern monarchy, and initially the Prussian immigrants to the US continued to worship together, but quickly broke apart into separate Lutheran and Calvinist denominations, the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, which managed to narrowly avoid the extreme left wing theology of the LCA and ALC, which then merged into ELCA (see the Seminex controversy; indeed the LCMS was even partnered with the LCA and ALC on the development of the Lutheran Book of Worship, in close coordination with the Episcopal Church and their 1979 Book of Common Prayer), and has since become one of the most traditional and conservative of the larger liturgical Protestant churches in the US, while on the other hand, the Calvinists formed the Evangelical Synod in North America, which would merge with the colonial-era Reformed Church in the United States, which was predominantly German, unlike the predominantly Dutch Reformed Church in America, which still exists, and this combined entity, the Evangelical and Reformed Church, merged with the larger number of Congregationalist churches (whose conferendce had already been vacated by the conservative Congregationalist parishes like Park Street Church in Boston), to form the United Church of Christ, whose extreme liberalism I have been rather too close to for my own personal comfort.

While religious freedom is much more widespread, it seems that we can attract converts from Eastern Catholic churches in predominantly Muslim areas, specifically the Melkite Patriarchate of Antioch, since due to conditions in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East, there are places where for some people who might otherwise be Orthodox, the only option is the local Melkite parish.

But we are most likely to win converts over due to the disastrous decisions recently made by Latin Rite bishops of the very highest rank, for example, Traditiones Custodes, which if enforced with any more severity by the Congregation for Divine Worship, will likely encourage those Catholics who love the traditional liturgy to join either Western Rite Orthodox churches or Continuing Anglican Churches, some of whom use the Anglican Missal, which is an English translation of the Roman missal, just as the Antiochian Western Rite Vicarate has, in its excellent St. Andrew’s Prayer Book, in addition to an Anglican-based Divine Liturgy of St. Tikhon, a Roman Rite based Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory.

I also believe that the Orthodox Church should try to pick up estranged traditionalist parishes from the Episcopal church and from ACNA, for there are conservative parishes therein which are not happy about the liberal stances the ECUSA takes on a great many issues, and which furthermore in many cases are at best ambivalent towards the filioque. It is worth noting that within global Anglicanism there has been, for over a decade now, a movement called “Drop the Filioque!” As the name implies, this seeks to correct the Nicene Creed in their prayerbooks for the same reasons that the Orthodox reject it. And we can go a step further, since the Orthodox also have in our Apostolic deposit of faith the original version of the canticle “Quincunque Vult”, also known as the “Athanasian Creed”, although I doubt it was originally used as a creed due to the canons of the Council of Ephesus, but was rather used as a dogmatic canticle along the lines of Te Deum Laudamus, and indeed among Anglicans it was commonly used as a canticle as recently as fifty or sixty years ago, before its disuse spread from the Episcopal Church into other provinces. The version we have lacks the implied filioque, and can be found in the Jordanville Psalter (specifically, in the edition known as A Psalter for Prayer, which I absolutely love; I have this Psalter in eBook format).

Also, the opportunity is not just at converting Western Rite Catholics, but also, as you suggested, Eastern Rite Catholics, for a great many of them, while not directly affected by Traditiones Custodes, are extremely upset about Fiducia Supplicans. The latter is contrary to the Orthodox Faith, and most Byzantine Rite Catholics I know of regard themselves as Orthodox in communion with Rome, and Increasingly see it as part of their vocation to try to inject Orthodox spirituality into the Roman Catholic communion.

By the way, the only churches whose liturgy actually benefitted from Vatican II were the Eastern Rite Catholics, in that Vatican II promoted the de-Latinization of their liturgies.
When Fiducia Supplicans ("blessing of same-sex couples") was issued, the Greek Catholic ("Eastern Rite") hierarchy in Kyiv told its people that it did not apply to them. I have no idea where they draw the line as to what they can or cannot take from Rome. But this wasn't one.

As to the broader issue, and in a more perfect world, Orthodoxy would have well developed "receiving plans" for the "near Orthodox" as well as developed approaches for Muslims, atheists and the weird 19th century cults. Of course this takes time, talent and money and there are plenty of good uses for these within Orthodoxy.

But an approach would be to have a reservoir of testimonials and interviews of people who left those situations in order to capture what it was about Orthodoxy that attracted them. The point of course is to then develop ways to attract more of them using language and motifs that appeal to those disaffected in their communities. Also to receive them in a form that won't scare them away.

The caution I give is that our community - the Body of Christ - while welcoming all souls should be mindful that not all souls are ready for that next step. Sweeping people in by some clever methods might sweep in trouble with them. I know how this sounds but I also know to a small extent how vile humanity can be. Christ needs to act on them first. Then draw in the nets.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
As to the broader issue, and in a more perfect world, Orthodoxy would have well developed "receiving plans" for the "near Orthodox" as well as developed approaches for Muslims, atheists and the weird 19th century cults.

This may surprise you, but we actually do - each jurisdiction has policies on whose baptisms it will receive and who it will Chrismate or receive by confession (usually Old Calendarists can be received by confession, which is ironic considering most of them re-baptize the canonical Orthodox or “world orthodox,” and technically OOs and Assyrians are also supposed to be received by confession according to the Rudder, or in the case of Antioch, not received, under the ecumenical agreement of 1991, but I have heard that the AOCNA chrismates the Syriac Orthodox. It is an automomous church under the omophorion of His Beatitude John X of Antioch, similiar to other autonomous churches like the Church of Finland, the Church of Moldova, the Church of Sinai, and ROCOR, to name a few examples under different omophoria*, so it presumably has that right.

Speaking of AOCNA, Archpriest Andrew Stephen Damick, whose second edition of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy was less polemical and more refined, for example, in how it addressed Roman Catholicism, outlines doctrinal issues that must be overcome for conversion, whereas several blogs provide conversion histories for different denominations.

Of course I feel the best way to attract people to Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy is to have our churches open as much as possible, for example, with Vespers or All Night Vigils on Saturday evening, and with midweek services, and to encourage visitors, and allow them to enter the nave provided they do so quietly, while also furnishing the narthex in a beautiful manner, so that people can see the profound beauty of our Divine Liturgy and the other Divine Services and Mysteries (I particularly like the liturgy for consecrating holy oil for unction, which is nearly identical in the Eastern Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox liturgies, the only real difference being the Eastern Orthodox version features a Canon hymn. Thus, through beautiful architecture and beautiful worship, we will pull people in. This is how we managed to get Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. It is also, in combination with the persecution of the Orthodox in Syria, how we managed to get me.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
But an approach would be to have a reservoir of testimonials and interviews of people who left those situations in order to capture what it was about Orthodoxy that attracted them.

John Sandipoulous and several others have websites along these lines.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Sweeping people in by some clever methods might sweep in trouble with them. I know how this sounds but I also know to a small extent how vile humanity can be. Christ needs to act on them first. Then draw in the nets.

I understand what you are saying. We don’t want to receive, for example, a large number of very liberal Christians who would try to change our doctrine on human sexuality; rather such people need to repent first of their errors.

In antiquity, the Early Church would not receive gladiators, prostitutes, actors (due to the lewd nature of the theater in antiquity) and Pagan schoolteachers. One can easily think of similar professions that we cannot receive at present, such as abortionists, psychic mediums, “exotic dancers” whose wardrobe is, shall we say, limited, funeral directors who specialize in cremation as well as crematory workers, and doctors who perform euthanasia or cosmetic genital-mutilation surgeries and related procedures sometimes called “sex change” operations, which is a misnomer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying. We don’t want to receive, for example, a large number of very liberal Christians who would try to change our doctrine on human sexuality; rather such people need to repent first of their errors.

In antiquity, the Early Church would not receive gladiators, prostitutes, actors (due to the lewd nature of the theater in antiquity) and Pagan schoolteachers. One can easily think of similar professions that we cannot receive at present, such as abortionists, psychic mediums, “exotic dancers” whose wardrobe is, shall we say, limited, funeral directors who specialize in cremation as well as crematory workers, and doctors who perform euthanasia or cosmetic genital-mutilation surgeries and related procedures sometimes called “sex change” operations, which is a misnomer.
That is not my approach. I was thinking of troubled people in their confession who transfer that trouble into their Orthodoxy. Or, Orthodoxy being the "new thing" and due to some perceived advantage in society, people convert.

Conversions need to be considered individually which I think is the norm, but if Orthodoxy became popular, it shouldn't abandon that method.

I cannot support a wholesale rejection of people based on their former profession. If they repent and perhaps with a longer Catechumen period, they should be welcomed.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This may surprise you, but we actually do - each jurisdiction has policies on whose baptisms it will receive and who it will Chrismate or receive by confession (usually Old Calendarists can be received by confession, which is ironic considering most of them re-baptize the canonical Orthodox or “world orthodox,” and technically OOs and Assyrians are also supposed to be received by confession according to the Rudder, or in the case of Antioch, not received, under the ecumenical agreement of 1991, but I have heard that the AOCNA chrismates the Syriac Orthodox. It is an automomous church under the omophorion of His Beatitude John X of Antioch, similiar to other autonomous churches like the Church of Finland, the Church of Moldova, the Church of Sinai, and ROCOR, to name a few examples under different omophoria*, so it presumably has that right.

Speaking of AOCNA, Archpriest Andrew Stephen Damick, whose second edition of Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy was less polemical and more refined, for example, in how it addressed Roman Catholicism, outlines doctrinal issues that must be overcome for conversion, whereas several blogs provide conversion histories for different denominations.

Of course I feel the best way to attract people to Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy is to have our churches open as much as possible, for example, with Vespers or All Night Vigils on Saturday evening, and with midweek services, and to encourage visitors, and allow them to enter the nave provided they do so quietly, while also furnishing the narthex in a beautiful manner, so that people can see the profound beauty of our Divine Liturgy and the other Divine Services and Mysteries (I particularly like the liturgy for consecrating holy oil for unction, which is nearly identical in the Eastern Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox liturgies, the only real difference being the Eastern Orthodox version features a Canon hymn. Thus, through beautiful architecture and beautiful worship, we will pull people in. This is how we managed to get Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. It is also, in combination with the persecution of the Orthodox in Syria, how we managed to get me.
That is more of the mechanics of it, some of which I knew in general terms. I was addressing more of the intellectual or dogmatic basis for "transferring" to Orthodoxy. And as for the fringe Christians and the non-Christians, ideally there would be a blueprint of how to deal with each of them in general, and what are typically their expectations on a personal basis for each group. Of course these would be general approaches, refined over time, and there would be exceptions.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And many of us actually wind up getting there! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It would be great if some of those folks could come home to Orthodoxy - even if it meant maybe making a Western Rite out of the Tridentine Mass (after Orthodox-izing it of course).

However, there are four practical problems.
1) Catholicism revolves around the Pope, Rome, St Peter's Chair, etc. Speaking as a former cradle Roman Catholic, that's a very difficult speed bump to cross. For some of the more traditionalist groups (like the Old Catholics, SSPX, etc) that's an even bigger jump to make because, again, their theology revolves around the Papacy and can't exist without it. Our theology does not revolve around Rome.

2) The perceived ethnic component of Orthodoxy is another big hurdle and our jurisdictional mayhem along ethnic lines in places like the US and Western Europe does NOT help the cause. Our own vindictive behavior towards each other on a local/personal level over things like calendar usage and language frankly borders on Pharisee levels. Why would anyone want to join this mess when we can't even wish each other "Merry Christmas, Christ is born" on the other Christmas? Just look at the awful we we treat each other and are judgemental towards each other.

3) There's a layer of anti-Catholicism and anti-Catholic hatred that does exist within Orthodoxy. Some of it is from Protestant converts who never realized that Catholicism today isn't the same Catholic Church as 1517. Some of it is from cradle people who hate Catholics anyway. Ex-Catholics, like myself, have different hurdles to cross than ex-Protestants and not enough Orthodox are sensitive to that fact. We have our own rich traditions like having an Advent wreath, or chalking the doors for New Year/Epiphany that could easily adapt within Orthodoxy, but we're hostile to it simply on the basis of "it's Catholic, ew". With this, there's also the perception within Orthodoxy that anything "Western" is synonymous with "demonic". Just look at how we treat the Western Rite like they're worse than second-class citizens or aren't legitimately Orthodox.

4) Eastern Catholic clergy have their retirements connected with the Catholic Church. I don't know the specifics beyond that, but, well, it gets messy.

Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It would be great if some of those folks could come home to Orthodoxy - even if it meant maybe making a Western Rite out of the Tridentine Mass (after Orthodox-izing it of course).

1) Catholicism revolves around the Pope, Rome, St Peter's Chair, etc. Speaking as a former cradle Roman Catholic, that's a very difficult speed bump to cross. For some of the more traditionalist groups (like the Old Catholics, SSPX, etc) that's an even bigger jump to make because, again, their theology revolves around the Papacy and can't exist without it. Our theology does not revolve around Rome.

2) The perceived ethnic component of Orthodoxy is another big hurdle and our jurisdictional mayhem along ethnic lines in places like the US and Western Europe does NOT help the cause. Our own vindictive behavior towards each other on a local/personal level over things like calendar usage and language frankly borders on Pharisee levels. Why would anyone want to join this mess when we can't even wish each other "Merry Christmas, Christ is born" on the other Christmas? Just look at the awful we we treat each other and are judgemental towards each other.

3) There's a layer of anti-Catholicism and anti-Catholic hatred that does exist within Orthodoxy. Some of it is from Protestant converts who never realized that Catholicism today isn't the same Catholic Church as 1517. Some of it is from cradle people who hate Catholics anyway. Ex-Catholics, like myself, have different hurdles to cross than ex-Protestants and not enough Orthodox are sensitive to that fact. We have our own rich traditions like having an Advent wreath, or chalking the doors for New Year/Epiphany that could easily adapt within Orthodoxy, but we're hostile to it simply on the basis of "it's Catholic, ew". With this, there's also the perception within Orthodoxy that anything "Western" is synonymous with "demonic". Just look at how we treat the Western Rite like they're worse than second-class citizens or aren't legitimately Orthodox.

4) Eastern Catholic clergy have their retirements connected with the Catholic Church. I don't know the specifics beyond that, but, well, it gets messy.
I find it very interesting you are a cradle Catholic. Most Catholics later convert to Orthodoxy usually begin from a secular or prostate background then become Latin Mass Catholics only to go back home to the majesty of Orthodoxy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I find it very interesting you are a cradle Catholic. Most Catholics later convert to Orthodoxy usually begin from a secular or prostate background then become Latin Mass Catholics only to go back home to the majesty of Orthodoxy
I was also sixteen at the time and my dad and stepmom had been Orthodox for a while. She was part of the EOC/Antiochian wave during her first marriage. My dad followed suit much later - they had a long relationship before getting married and for a while we went to two churches. By the time I was chrismated I guess I was kinda sorta functionally "Orthodox" to a degree. Plus a lot of the sticking points for Protestant converts weren't an issue like having saints, taking Communion, having a liturgical worship, etc; my priest described it as theologically smoothing out the edges. My old Catholic parish's attitude about Vatican II was along the lines of "well, we got a new mass and we're using English now, so that's what we're doing" and they still have the high altar and statues on the side altars to this day.

My interest in the Latin Mass has come and gone over the years. The first time I heard of its existence was when my fourth grade class in Catholic school watched "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby - he was born across the street from the church so it was sorta required viewing lol. Now as an adult, I would like to make a field trip to see a Latin Mass one day and would just need to find one in the DC area. The problem is that some of the Orthodox communities are so dang insular and hostile here that if word got out that I had attended they would legitimately question if I had apostatized and just use that as more fuel to bash the OCA :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I need to issue a correction here: Old Catholics aren't traditionalist, and aren't even Roman Catholic. They're a group that broke away from the Roman Catholic church in the 19th century after the First Vatican Council precisely because they disagreed with its declarations regarding the power and authority of the pope. They seem more akin to Anglicans than anything else... which would explain why the biggest group of Old Catholics, the Union of Utrecht, is in full communion with the Anglicans.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of it seems to be over the simplifification of the liturgy by Rome.
Why must the liturgy be complicated or complex?
sacrificed the faith to modernity(colloqually known as wokeness) in a futile attempt to seem relevant.

No "attempt" needed. The liturgy is always relevant but especially when it speaks to the times as they are today.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The liturgy is always relevant but especially when it speaks to the times as they are today.
how does the Liturgy “speak to the times as they are today” when they call us out of time and into eternity?

Upvote 0