Protestant Converts to Eastern Orthodoxy:Questions.

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. What made you consider Eastern Orthodoxy?
I was determined to find out what the earliest Christians believed. Orthodoxy came up early in the search but was out of reach geographically. Additionally, I didn't want to be THAT different from Western Christianity. Finally, I reached out to Orthodoxy when all other options didn't fulfill what I had found. My priest, Fr. Stephen Freeman, was very gentle, patient, and helpful in our conversion.

2. Were there any EO teachings that you struggled with? Still Struggle with?
Because of my upbringing I struggle with understanding the EO teaching on hell. Surprisingly the veneration of the Theotokos did not present an issue as I had considered her veneration previously.

3. Did you have an EO parish near you? Did you have to travel?
We drove 1:40 for over a year. We eventually relocated to be near our parish.

4. Why did you choose the EO church over Roman Catholicism?
It was a difficult choice for me since I really liked the framework and programs within Catholicism. Also, being Catholic would have meant that we didn't have to relocate. I think it was that Catholicism in its present state is little different from the Protestant churches we encountered. There had been too many changes in teaching, practice, and worldview. That being said, if I wasn't Orthodox I would be Catholic.

5. Were you rebaptized or just chrismated?
We were rebaptized. It wasn't required but we really wanted to be baptized into the church.

6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?(Yeah I know the Holy Spirit but....)
I am content with this remaining a mystery. We just found ourselves returning to the Church week after week. Christ was there and He loved me. That was something I hadn't fully experienced anywhere else. So, there's not really one thing. It was just natural.
Just out of curiosity could you elaborate on your # 2? did you have a more severe or less severe version of Hell?

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just out of curiosity could you elaborate on your # 2? did you have a more severe or less severe version of Hell?
Definitely more severe. I grew up fundamentalist. You feared God and always expected His wrath. It caused a paranoid fear of everything you do that was against the rules. It is very disturbing to constantly be unsure of your position with God. You didn't dare question, stray, or go outside the proclaimed boundaries. Because our version taught Eternal Security, you always were trying to get peace and constantly doubted yourself. This always led back to a harsh God that seemed angry all the time. We said God loved us, but it was doubted.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Definitely more severe. I grew up fundamentalist. You feared God and always expected His wrath. It caused a paranoid fear of everything you do that was against the rules. It is very disturbing to constantly be unsure of your position with God. You didn't dare question, stray, or go outside the proclaimed boundaries. Because our version taught Eternal Security, you always were trying to get peace and constantly doubted yourself. This always led back to a harsh God that seemed angry all the time. We said God loved us, but it was doubted.
Interesting.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the best of my knowledge after several years of study it is my conclusion they are not in schism from the original Church.

Mary and the saints. I still struggle with things I would consider excessive. For example, we honor the dead and saints with a cake of sorts (kolyva). It is even an offering of sorts. Granted, it is not a sacrifice to God (like the Eucharist) nor propitiatory, so I don't think that theologically it is actually heretical, but it is clearly confusing and we have the writings of several saints that disapproved of similar practices. (On the top of my head, I know that St Epiphanius, St Ambrose, and St Augustine all disapproved of practices that included offering food items in honor of saints...probably because they thought it was pagan superstition.)

However, because Orthodoxy is so strongly ethnic, to even suggest canning kolyva is like stabbing people in the heart...so I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

I have been lucky in this department. All my parishes have been between 10 to 20 minutes. I am in Syracuse NY so I think there are five within 15 minutes.

Chiefly the issue of schism. As a new convert, Orthodoxy appeared more Protestant-friendly (no purgatory, inverse proportion of prayers to Mary compared to RCism), but in retrospect these latter things are less important to me now. I do find it unsettling that in RCism they tend to put a lot more stock is mass Marian apparitions as sources of re-affirming doctrine. However, in the writings of even eastern saints the last few centuries, I think they have become more RC in their claims of Marian apparitions and such. In fact, I cannot think of a live of a modern saint where it is not claimed the saint had a vision of the Theotokos and she communciated to him. In the ancient Church, these are exceedingly rare (though not existent, St Gregory the Wonderworker reported such an apparition in the third century. Are Marian Apparitions Inconsistent With Biblical Christianity?)

Chrismated and I am happy I was, I think re-baptism is inconsistent with canons of ecumenical councils and is in someways more extreme than St Cyprian on the same topic, who in Epistle 72 concedes those who were chrismated by Rome still were given the grace of God of baptism.

6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?
Schism is a damnable sin. People on this very forum helped me more than anyone to hash out the issues. My priest was not wishy washy either, which forced me to dump my Protestant leanings on several issues.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry - my answers show up within the quote box.

I grew up Baptist but in my 30s I started questioning worship and came to believe in the reality of sacraments, which landed me in a traditional (Continuing) Anglican Church. But then it became important to find the true church, to find out if the Church Christ founded was still around. I started looking at the RC church, which eventually led me to finding out about Orthodoxy. The more I found, the more sure I was that this was indeed Christ’s Church.

Not really. My time as an Anglican helped me through the understanding of Mary and all the Saints, the Eucharist, etc.

I currently travel about 45 minutes to my parish, because we moved further away a few years ago. There are 2 closer parishes, but I can’t leave my “home”.

I think it mainly boils down to the difference in “mindset” I guess you could call it. RC just seems so legalistic compared to Orthodoxy. But finally - it’s just that Orthodoxy seems so “right”. It’s fine with paradox and mystery.

Chrismated. I was baptized twice as a Baptist, and I was able to get a certificate of my original baptism at 8 years old.

6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?(Yeah I know the Holy Spirit but....)

I’ve never been so sure of anything else in my life. I love the emphasis on God as Holy Trinity, and as the God Who loves mankind. Other churches talk about God as love, but their theology didn’t really back it up. Even when I’ve struggled with prayer or fasting or not being as faithful as I should, and when our parish went through really tough times, I’ve never doubted that Orthodoxy is the Church.

RCC converts to EO can chime in too.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To the best of my knowledge after several years of study it is my conclusion they are not in schism from the original Church.

Mary and the saints. I still struggle with things I would consider excessive. For example, we honor the dead and saints with a cake of sorts (kolyva). It is even an offering of sorts. Granted, it is not a sacrifice to God (like the Eucharist) nor propitiatory, so I don't think that theologically it is actually heretical, but it is clearly confusing and we have the writings of several saints that disapproved of similar practices. (On the top of my head, I know that St Epiphanius, St Ambrose, and St Augustine all disapproved of practices that included offering food items in honor of saints...probably because they thought it was pagan superstition.)

However, because Orthodoxy is so strongly ethnic, to even suggest canning kolyva is like stabbing people in the heart...so I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

I have been lucky in this department. All my parishes have been between 10 to 20 minutes. I am in Syracuse NY so I think there are five within 15 minutes.

Chiefly the issue of schism. As a new convert, Orthodoxy appeared more Protestant-friendly (no purgatory, inverse proportion of prayers to Mary compared to RCism), but in retrospect these latter things are less important to me now. I do find it unsettling that in RCism they tend to put a lot more stock is mass Marian apparitions as sources of re-affirming doctrine. However, in the writings of even eastern saints the last few centuries, I think they have become more RC in their claims of Marian apparitions and such. In fact, I cannot think of a live of a modern saint where it is not claimed the saint had a vision of the Theotokos and she communciated to him. In the ancient Church, these are exceedingly rare (though not existent, St Gregory the Wonderworker reported such an apparition in the third century. Are Marian Apparitions Inconsistent With Biblical Christianity?)

Chrismated and I am happy I was, I think re-baptism is inconsistent with canons of ecumenical councils and is in someways more extreme than St Cyprian on the same topic, who in Epistle 72 concedes those who were chrismated by Rome still were given the grace of God of baptism.

6. What was the final thing that convinced you you had to go EO?
Schism is a damnable sin. People on this very forum helped me more than anyone to hash out the issues. My priest was not wishy washy either, which forced me to dump my Protestant leanings on several issues.
Interesting- I agree with your point about Marian apparitions. I really don't have an issue anymore with Mary the way so many Protestants do. Studying first Roman Catholicism, and understanding that they don't "worship" her and reading about the council of Ephesus helps me to understand that she is the Theotokos.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Recent Catechuman, my topics can be found fairly fresh starting in Nov 18 I believe. Perhaps Oct. Lutheranism like protestantism is severely broken, I commend the LCMS leadership for trying very hard to ammend this and stick to unity. This was the start, it was reading the church fathers and comparing it to Lutheranism that slowly I shifted more Orthodox.

2. I struggle with Ancestral Sin and the Atonement a bit but more because I cant seem to fully grasp it... But I have kind of thrown my hands up and decided to submit to church teachings. Some stuff has raised my eyebrows but again, I submit.

3. Currently a chapel 20 min away and a parish thats 1 hour.

4. I went back and forth alot but it was the schism.
5. My priest has agreed to Chrismation for our family.
6. Honestly I believe from the moment I started inquiring I felt an unquenchable desire to join much like hopping the gate from evagelicalism to Lutheranism. The differemce was I was sad to leave Lutheranism. However refer to point 2. I submit!

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship

1. I found out that 10 years ago, my mom thought about converting. I started doing reading and saw that lots of LCMS people had converted in recent years
2. Mariology. Already had a high view of Mary, but some things said about her and prayers to her were/are hard
3. at school: several near me, probably 10 within 1h drive, the closest 2 (OCA parish and Antiochian mission) being about 20-30 minutes away. At home: greek parish about 30 minutes away, Bulgarian monastery 15 minutes away, Ukrainian parish about 45 minutes away
4. My Lutheran background. The Apology of the Augsburg Confession soundly argue against the Roman Confutatio, Chemnitz soundly argues (using Scripture and the Church Fathers) against the Council of Trent, etc. Purgatory and the Papacy were probably the two biggest things that deterred me from RCC in this though.
5. chrismated
6. I realized that I had slowly moved all my icons to an eastern wall in my dorm room.
I had a long discussion about the Holy Spirit with my pastor in the context of Dr. John Kleinig's Grace upon Grace, Luke 11:13, and the introductory Trisagion prayer O Heavenly King. Basically discussing how Lutherans simply don't pray for the Holy Spirit. Not that they can't, or that they never do, but it's not a part of the services. Like the Eucharist - the pastor says the words of institution and assumes that the Holy Spirit works through the Word (which He does), concluding that there's not a real need to pray for the Holy Spirit beyond that (which is not true). I had been praying for the Holy Spirit and right understanding of Him (regarding Filioque and Ecclesiology) since I started looking at Orthodoxy. Then I had this discussion. Then I realized my Icons were all on my eastern wall (previously they had been on the north wall), commented to myself how "I'm now facing East", realized that this statement had a double meaning (literal and referring to Eastern Orthodoxy), and then quickly realized that the Holy Spirit had been guiding me to his Church slowly over the past two years. Everything I had hesitations about with Orthodoxy, when I would pray about them I eventually came to understand them and see how they were Scriptural and in line with the Church Fathers. I still had some hesitations (like Mary, mentioned above). But I really realized I couldn't deny that this was the Spirit's action in my life.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Recent Catechuman, my topics can be found fairly fresh starting in Nov 18 I believe. Perhaps Oct. Lutheranism like protestantism is severely broken, I commend the LCMS leadership for trying very hard to ammend this and stick to unity. This was the start, it was reading the church fathers and comparing it to Lutheranism that slowly I shifted more Orthodox.

2. I struggle with Ancestral Sin and the Atonement a bit but more because I cant seem to fully grasp it... But I have kind of thrown my hands up and decided to submit to church teachings. Some stuff has raised my eyebrows but again, I submit.

3. Currently a chapel 20 min away and a parish thats 1 hour.

4. I went back and forth alot but it was the schism.
5. My priest has agreed to Chrismation for our family.
6. Honestly I believe from the moment I started inquiring I felt an unquenchable desire to join much like hopping the gate from evagelicalism to Lutheranism. The differemce was I was sad to leave Lutheranism. However refer to point 2. I submit!
yes, your reply to # 2 is an issue for me as well, I don't understand it, the Lutheran Idea of Original sin is much more like the Catholic-but the Catholic is synergistic, not monogeristic(sp?) like the Lutherans are.
Your number 6 will be the same for me. I will be very sad to leave Confessional Lutheranism, which I believe is the best of the Protestant branch, evangelicalism not so much. I was very happy to come home to the Lutheran church, but they have no apostolic succession or the fullness of the faith.
We were strongly considering Catholicism but they have sooo many issues now. I know Orthodoxy does too. Plus I really don't care for this current Pope but I know that shouldn't be an issue(if the papacy is true)-he won't be there forever. Loved JP II and Benedict. there's other things,too-i.e. legalism, dumbed down masses, ect. Plus the creeping in of liberalism in the RCC but I HOPE that doesn't happen in Orthodoxy. I think that's my real fear. It will take hold in the WEST and become like the Episcoplians or something in 50 years or the ELCA. Or parts of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. I found out that 10 years ago, my mom thought about converting. I started doing reading and saw that lots of LCMS people had converted in recent years
2. Mariology. Already had a high view of Mary, but some things said about her and prayers to her were/are hard
3. at school: several near me, probably 10 within 1h drive, the closest 2 (OCA parish and Antiochian mission) being about 20-30 minutes away. At home: greek parish about 30 minutes away, Bulgarian monastery 15 minutes away, Ukrainian parish about 45 minutes away
4. My Lutheran background. The Apology of the Augsburg Confession soundly argue against the Roman Confutatio, Chemnitz soundly argues (using Scripture and the Church Fathers) against the Council of Trent, etc. Purgatory and the Papacy were probably the two biggest things that deterred me from RCC in this though.
5. chrismated
6. I realized that I had slowly moved all my icons to an eastern wall in my dorm room.
I had a long discussion about the Holy Spirit with my pastor in the context of Dr. John Kleinig's Grace upon Grace, Luke 11:13, and the introductory Trisagion prayer O Heavenly King. Basically discussing how Lutherans simply don't pray for the Holy Spirit. Not that they can't, or that they never do, but it's not a part of the services. Like the Eucharist - the pastor says the words of institution and assumes that the Holy Spirit works through the Word (which He does), concluding that there's not a real need to pray for the Holy Spirit beyond that (which is not true). I had been praying for the Holy Spirit and right understanding of Him (regarding Filioque and Ecclesiology) since I started looking at Orthodoxy. Then I had this discussion. Then I realized my Icons were all on my eastern wall (previously they had been on the north wall), commented to myself how "I'm now facing East", realized that this statement had a double meaning (literal and referring to Eastern Orthodoxy), and then quickly realized that the Holy Spirit had been guiding me to his Church slowly over the past two years. Everything I had hesitations about with Orthodoxy, when I would pray about them I eventually came to understand them and see how they were Scriptural and in line with the Church Fathers. I still had some hesitations (like Mary, mentioned above). But I really realized I couldn't deny that this was the Spirit's action in my life.
Yes I guess Mary hasn't been as much of an issue for me as most Protestants as I had been studying the RCC and had been even trying out praying a rosary! Strange as it sounds! And the communion of the saints. Even though I still feel some of it goes over the top. I think the Lutheran church was rightfully trying to pull back to be more "Christ-centered" which speaks to your number 4.

The council of Ephesus also has helped me understand so much, for Mary.
Interesting your number 4 and #6!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of you are so lucky you have a close parish!!

You know, this whole thing reminds me of the Parents getting divorced and years later the kids still suffer, through no fault of our own. The Schism is the parents divorce and we are the children. Through no fault or our own we are born into regions, denominations, ect, where there is usually a certain church(or no Church in some cases such as some members here) It's not like we have a clear choice- where THIS is the Church and you are either in it or out of it. One time coming home from a trip we were driving back into our small town. My youngest son at the time about 6 or 7 wanted to know why a small town like ours had so many different churches. (It was founded originally with a Scandanavian Lutheran Church(now ELCA) . Indeed I wondered, why so? why am I a Lutheran not in communion with the other Lutherans around here, why don't we worship with Catholics, ect.
The answer I gave him was there are too many people in our town to fit into one church, and every Church has a few different beliefs(which are not essential to the saving gospel)
There should be one Church, and one should be in it or out of it.
Instead many of us are born into certain communions thinking we saved, ect(Which I still believe there is one body outside of a denominational structure but there IS a Church Jesus founded I believe, too).But then we hear-no you are outside of the True church. It is maddening.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
5. chrismated
Did your Mom decide not to convert?

Upvote 0

Shawn P

Nov 15, 2018
Fairfield, Ohio
✟21,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

1. I was an over 40, life-long Baptist. I studied all denominations and even other religions, mostly just to be able to converse with non-Protestants and non-Christians. A combination of the theology, the beautiful liturgical worship, and the beautiful icons kept drawing me to learn more about Orthodoxy. Learning more about Christian history really made me start thinking seriously about converting.

2. Yes, many of them. Calling a priest, Father, seemed weird to me. I considered it to be against what Christ taught when He said "call no man Father." The veneration of saints and Mary never bothered me, but praying to them did before I fully understood the Orthodox perspective. Venerating icons seemed to be giving too much veneration to "things," to me. I also thought of monasticism as unnecessary extremism and possibly even self-centered. I thought they only worried about their own spirituality and not the lost and needy in the world. Boy, was I wrong there. Orthodox monks and nuns are probably the least selfish people in the world. These are all common Protestant misunderstandings of these issues.

3. Not too close, but fortunately, not too far. It's a 30-40 minute drive depending on the traffic. I can't complain!

4. I don't agree with much of the Roman Catholic doctrines that disagree with Orthodoxy. Much of them have no explanation that sounds right to me, whereas learning about Orthodoxy, many theological issues made more sense than ever before according to what the Church teaches. Studying the history of the Great Schism, and who added what to their teachings since then, convinced me that the Orthodox Church was on the right side of that break and has kept pure, true Christianity ever since. I don't believe that the Pope is infallible. I'm also disturbed by some of the dark history of the Roman church's past and their inability to weed out predators in their church today. I know things happen in every denomination and religion, and it doesn't reflect on all Catholics, but it seems the higher ups aren't doing enough to protect their own flock from abuse.

5. Just a catechumen still.

6. The study of Church history and seeing a Divine Liturgy cemented my decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

1. Just curious, really.
2. Honestly, not really too much. I am uncomfortable with the "sometimes ignore them, sometimes idolize them" attitude towards canons that is often found in the Church, but that isn't really a teaching.
3. Yes, lucky, pretty near.
4. The RCC seems to me to be stuck in a ton of self-contradiction. Plus their ecclesiology is really messed up. While I have no doubt there are many RCs who take the whole thing very seriously and are trying their best, I think their "system" is not only wrong but is working against them. Which doesn't mean we don't have big problems here.
5. Christmated.
6. I just felt drawn. In the end, it felt more like an "emotional" (but not exactly) decision than a "convinced" decision.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Just curious, really.
2. Honestly, not really too much. I am uncomfortable with the "sometimes ignore them, sometimes idolize them" attitude towards canons that is often found in the Church, but that isn't really a teaching.
3. Yes, lucky, pretty near.
4. The RCC seems to me to be stuck in a ton of self-contradiction. Plus their ecclesiology is really messed up. While I have no doubt there are many RCs who take the whole thing very seriously and are trying their best, I think their "system" is not only wrong but is working against them. Which doesn't mean we don't have big problems here.
5. Christmated.
6. I just felt drawn. In the end, it felt more like an "emotional" (but not exactly) decision than a "convinced" decision.
Interesting!

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. I was an over 40, life-long Baptist. I studied all denominations and even other religions, mostly just to be able to converse with non-Protestants and non-Christians. A combination of the theology, the beautiful liturgical worship, and the beautiful icons kept drawing me to learn more about Orthodoxy. Learning more about Christian history really made me start thinking seriously about converting.

2. Yes, many of them. Calling a priest, Father, seemed weird to me. I considered it to be against what Christ taught when He said "call no man Father." The veneration of saints and Mary never bothered me, but praying to them did before I fully understood the Orthodox perspective. Venerating icons seemed to be giving too much veneration to "things," to me. I also thought of monasticism as unnecessary extremism and possibly even self-centered. I thought they only worried about their own spirituality and not the lost and needy in the world. Boy, was I wrong there. Orthodox monks and nuns are probably the least selfish people in the world. These are all common Protestant misunderstandings of these issues.

3. Not too close, but fortunately, not too far. It's a 30-40 minute drive depending on the traffic. I can't complain!

4. I don't agree with much of the Roman Catholic doctrines that disagree with Orthodoxy. Much of them have no explanation that sounds right to me, whereas learning about Orthodoxy, many theological issues made more sense than ever before according to what the Church teaches. Studying the history of the Great Schism, and who added what to their teachings since then, convinced me that the Orthodox Church was on the right side of that break and has kept pure, true Christianity ever since. I don't believe that the Pope is infallible. I'm also disturbed by some of the dark history of the Roman church's past and their inability to weed out predators in their church today. I know things happen in every denomination and religion, and it doesn't reflect on all Catholics, but it seems the higher ups aren't doing enough to protect their own flock from abuse.

5. Just a catechumen still.

6. The study of Church history and seeing a Divine Liturgy cemented my decision.
Yes I need to experience a divine liturgy.

Upvote 0