keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure which way this kicks things.

It does make it clear that current contracts provide for any station to have at least 1 hot and one cold food option 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It will be interesting to see how things fall out when the dust settles.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing about a Chick-fil-a that would make you think it had *ANY* religious purpose when you enter it.
I don't know about that. Chicken as the only meat! Sounds like a joint Hindu/Islamic fusion to me! (No beef, no pork)

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does make it clear that current contracts provide for any station to have at least 1 hot and one cold food option 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
However, the article also states:
“Chick-fil-A’s Sunday closure is a brand requirement which Applegreen factored into their tenant plan.”

So, yeah….Chick-fil-A doesn’t need to adhere to that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
“Chick-fil-A’s Sunday closure is a brand requirement which Applegreen factored into their tenant plan.”

To me, that just means they don't provide a service. If one gets a certain number of contract bids, some will provide services that others don't. Even if the Chicken Church Restaurant bid declares they are closed on Sundays because of the Lord's Day, that only means they are a provider that provides one less service than others. I like Chick-fil-A's sandwiches well enough for fast food, they often have good service, and that might be related to a company ethos based on certain Christian ideas, but what matters for the service can be produced by another company with different ideas. If someone could show that Chick-fil-A provides a service that only a Christian could provide, that might be interesting. So far, it seems to be peculiarly Christian by the service it can't provide, which is odd.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To me, that just means they don't provide a service. If one gets a certain number of contract bids, some will provide services that others don't. Even if the Chicken Church Restaurant bid declares they are closed on Sundays because of the Lord's Day, that only means they are a provider that provides one less service than others. I like Chick-fil-A's sandwiches well enough for fast food, they often have good service, and that might be related to a company ethos based on certain Christian ideas, but what matters for the service can be produced by another company with different ideas. If someone could show that Chick-fil-A provides a service that only a Christian could provide, that might be interesting. So far, it seems to be peculiarly Christian by the service it can't provide, which is odd.
What it means is that the “1 hot and one cold food option 24 hours a day, 7 days a week” requirement from the OP doesn’t apply to Chick-fil-A.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This law is specifically about restaurants located at NY Thruway rest stops, which are owned by the state. So the state is perfectly able to regulate what happens on state property, including leasing requirements.
Oh I see. Yes that does make things different. Still I support Chick Fillets decision to close Sundays I wish more businesses would do that. Perhaps they will have to close their restaurant on that Thruway then if they don’t want to change their hours

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps they will have to close their restaurant on that Thruway then if they don’t want to change their hours
Read all posts in the thread and you’ll see they won’t…..at least in the restaurants already built.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What it means is that the “1 hot and one cold food option 24 hours a day, 7 days a week” requirement from the OP doesn’t apply to Chick-fil-A.

Until it does. Isn't that what the proposed legislation is trying to do, get them to open on Sundays?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,263.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Weird joke. Not really funny.
And it was 34...

I told my wife that this site has some interesting philosophical and political conversations. That's why I log on. It makes you think. You are exposed to differing viewpoints and opinions. You are forced to confront your own views and you have to justify why you hold them.

'So what are you talking about now?'

'Well dear, I'm discussing the pros and cons of five fast food chicken outlets in NY being required to stay open on Sundays in 2056.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Until it does. Isn't that what the proposed legislation is trying to do, get them to open on Sundays?
Only for new (future) contracts. Since Chick-fil-A has a 33 year contract already existing, it won’t apply to their current restaurants (and maybe future restaurants if they are part of the current contract).

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And it was 34...

I told my wife that this site has some interesting philosophical and political conversations. That's why I log on. It makes you think. You are exposed to differing viewpoints and opinions. You are forced to confront your own views and you have to justify why you hold them.

eh, you've only been around 5 years. Give it time.

'Well dear, I'm discussing the pros and cons of five fast food chicken outlets in NY being required to stay open on Sundays in 2056.'
Thaaaat's more like it.

My wife calls this my "troll pages." When she asks me what's going on on here, I usually just shake my head and say "nothing much."

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,263.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My wife calls this my "troll pages." When she asks me what's going on on here, I usually just shake my head and say "nothing much."
Someone posted a cartoon on this a few days ago (@Occams Barber ?)

Wife: Aren't you coming to bed?
Husband, hunched over computer: I can't. Someone on the internet is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adam56

Nov 4, 2023
Nashville
✟15,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And it was 34...

I’ll admit, this was funny.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing about a Chick-fil-a that would make you think it had *ANY* religious purpose when you enter it.
Then why are they closed on Sunday?

Just because they aren't operating in a religious function doesn't mean they aren't entitled to religious protections, which clearly extend to corporate bodies otherwise churches and parachurch organizations wouldn't be able to enjoy religious freedoms. Chick-Fil-A clearly identifies itself as aa Christian organization, and their policies such as being closed on Sunday are based on their religious affiliation.

Religious freedoms don't require meeting some religious test in order for an person/entity to be entitled to them. So just because someone wouldn't walk into a Chick-Fil-A restaurant and go "this place is religious" doesn't matter one iota to the corporate identity.

• Winner
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I'd like to claim responsibility but - no - it weren't me. I'm more likely to be the husband character - if I had a wife - which I don't - well - not recently - I used to have a couple (one at a time) - but I'm not sure where I put them...

OB

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know who posted it, but I know the one being referred to:

1703218275200.png

It's from a webcomic called xkcd. While the webcomic is very hit and miss (and I would also say as it has gone on, it has increased the ratio far more in favor of the misses than hits), some of them like the above are pretty darn good.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

So, yeah….Chick-fil-A doesn’t need to adhere to that.
Applegreen covered that by having at least one other provider of hot food at any site where there was a Chick-fil-A.

My educated guess is that some 'news' person does not understand the legislation and failed to run it past someone who does read legalese. And once one outlet does that others follow. The key point being that any contractor has to provide 24/7. So far Applegreen seems to be the only winning contractor, with Chick-fil-A being involved as a subsidiary. The most reasonable reading of the legislation is that it is making what already exists in the Applegreen contracts a requirement for all future contracts (and extending that to the port authority and other places).

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.