Trump confronted ‘devout’ religious Democrat on abortion at Prayer Breakfast: report

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump confronted ‘devout’ religious Democrat on abortion at Prayer Breakfast: report

WASHINGTON, D.C., February 14, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – In addition to reaffirming the right to life at last week’s National Prayer Breakfast, President Donald Trump reportedly confronted a Democrat lawmaker in attendance over his party’s pro-abortion stance, though accounts differ as to the severity of their exchange.

Last Thursday, the president declared at the annual event that a “just and loving society” needs to “build a culture that cherishes the dignity and sanctity of innocent human life,” and recognize that “all children, born and unborn, are made in the holy image of God.” His words echoed his State of the Union remarks excoriating lawmakers in New York and Virginia who recently backed abortion up to, and in some cases after, birth.

Politico reports that according to three sources, Trump “leaned in close” to Democrat Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware and challenged him to speak out against radical pro-abortion legislation members of his party have pushed in multiple states. Coons described himself as a “practicing Christian and a devout Presbyterian,” and was one of the breakfast’s co-chairs along with Republican Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma.

“He was in his face about it and “worked up,” one source said. “He saw a Democrat in the room, a Democrat who’s known to be a person of faith, and he was like, ‘Why aren't you speaking out about this?’” Another told Politico the exchange was “awkward.”

Politico reporter Gabby Orr added on Twitter that Trump “yelled” in Coons’ face for ten minutes, which Lankford disputed. Trump did not display hostility to Coons, Lankford said, but “simply asked a question to understand [his] perspective.”

Whatever tone their conversation took, the conflict between Coons’ professed faith and abortion remains an open question.

He was previously an ordained elder in West Presbyterian Church and “continues to preach occasionally at houses of worship across Delaware,” according to his official bio. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church USA denomination, which teaches that the “considered decision of a woman to terminate a pregnancy can be a morally acceptable...decision,” and an issue which “may manifest itself in ways that...do not fit neatly into medical, legal or policy guidelines.”

Coons holds consistent 100% pro-abortion ratings from Planned Parenthood for his positions and votes in Congress, with NARAL docking him only for a 2017 vote to confirm Scott Gottlieb as Trump’s commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

More at link:

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I wish Christians would confront Trump on his behaviour that is so unacceptable or at least try to get him to stop using Christianity. He's damaging our reputation so much it makes me sad.

Didn't Trump's personal attorney / fixer Cohen also pay off a inappropriate content star that a RNC official had an affair to keep her silent about aborting their child?

Yes, I remembered that right
Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen Negotiated $1.6 Million Settlement for Top Republican Fundraiser

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
After hearing the Prayer Breakfast speech and the SOTU speech, and now this, I think it's clear that Donald Trump is the most prolife president in history. There had been no shortage of cynicism about his change of position on this issue, but this is a man who has clearly shown that he keeps his promises. God bless him.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PCUSA is considered broadly by many other Presbyterians to be an apostate branch or dead branch of the Presbyterian Church as a whole. I just hope readers understand there are many different sub-denominations within the whole of what is labeled the Presbyterian Church. In name only, PCUSA is the largest branch, not surprising if you think about it and other non-Presbyterian Churches and their largest subdivisions.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After hearing the Prayer Breakfast speech and the SOTU speech, and now this, I think it's clear that Donald Trump is the most prolife president in history. There had been no shortage of cynicism about his change of position on this issue, but this is a man who has clearly shown that he keeps his promises. God bless him.
Yes, because the Bible is clear that making speeches is how people will know that someone is real. :sorry:
tulc(or not) :wave:

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What about his campaign promise to protect the rights of LGBTQ American citizens?

Donald Trump said and I quote: 'I will be president for all Americans.' (source)

"Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs," he wrote in a June 14, 2016, tweet.

Donald Trump's past statements about LGBT rights

Donald Trump Says Transgender People Should Use the Bathroom They Want

The promises Donald Trump made to LGBTQ American citizens during his campaign.

Trump Vows to Protect LGBTQ Citizens

Donald Trump Waves LGBT Rainbow Flag at Colorado Rally

Making GOP history, Trump vows to protect LGBT community

Donald Trump’s “support” of LGBT communities in one image

Trump vows to keep Obama-era protection for LGBT federal workers

300880_31d53969ad8857d2849830205193e0e5.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because the Bible is clear that making speeches is how people will know that someone is real. :sorry:
tulc(or not) :wave:

By their fruits you will know them... He admitted that he doesn't like to ask for forgiveness and he doesn't believe that adultery is a sin. He is a twice divorced admitted adulterous philander in his third marriage to his former mistress. He bragged about groping multiple women and his sexual deviant behavior was referred to 'locker room talk' and 'macho talk' by many of his Christian supporters. He had an affair with a inappropriate content star and then paid her off to silence her. He bragged about watching young teenage girls getting undressed during beauty pageants. He joked that he would date his daughter, Ivanka, if she wasn't his daughter and he once agreed with Howard Stern that she was a piece of [profane word]. Yes, the Bible is very clear that by their fruits, we will know them.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish Christians would confront Trump on his behaviour that is so unacceptable or at least try to get him to stop using Christianity. He's damaging our reputation so much it makes me sad.

Didn't Trump's personal attorney / fixer Cohen also pay off a inappropriate content star that a RNC official had an affair to keep her silent about aborting their child?

Yes, I remembered that right
Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen Negotiated $1.6 Million Settlement for Top Republican Fundraiser

Trump has definitely ruined the reputation of his Christian supporters, as well as the integrity of their Christian witness. I know many non-Christians IRL who refer to these Christians as hypocrites. The reason for the backlash is because these Christians now support Trump, an adulterous philander, after spending years condemning former President Bill Clinton for being an adulterous philander.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

WASHINGTON, D.C., February 14, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – In addition to reaffirming the right to life at last week’s National Prayer Breakfast, President Donald Trump reportedly confronted a Democrat lawmaker in attendance over his party’s pro-abortion stance, though accounts differ as to the severity of their exchange.

Last Thursday, the president declared at the annual event that a “just and loving society” needs to “build a culture that cherishes the dignity and sanctity of innocent human life,” and recognize that “all children, born and unborn, are made in the holy image of God.”

Does that include central Americans?

Shame on the president for politicizing something that should be above politics.

Whatever tone their conversation took, the conflict between Coons’ professed faith and abortion remains an open question.

If he's in the PC-USA, his stance is consistent with his church's social teachings, which are shared by millions of other Christians in the US.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Last Thursday, the president declared at the annual event that a “just and loving society” needs to “build a culture that cherishes the dignity and sanctity of innocent human life,” and recognize that “all children, born and unborn, are made in the holy image of God.” His words echoed his State of the Union remarks excoriating lawmakers in New York and Virginia who recently backed abortion up to, and in some cases after, birth.

Politico reports that according to three sources, Trump “leaned in close” to Democrat Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware and challenged him to speak out against radical pro-abortion legislation members of his party have pushed in multiple states. Coons described himself as a “practicing Christian and a devout Presbyterian,” and was one of the breakfast’s co-chairs along with Republican Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma.

“He was in his face about it and “worked up,” one source said. “He saw a Democrat in the room, a Democrat who’s known to be a person of faith, and he was like, ‘Why aren't you speaking out about this?’” Another told Politico the exchange was “awkward.”

Politico reporter Gabby Orr added on Twitter that Trump “yelled” in Coons’ face for ten minutes, which Lankford disputed. Trump did not display hostility to Coons, Lankford said, but “simply asked a question to understand [his] perspective.”

He was previously an ordained elder in West Presbyterian Church and “continues to preach occasionally at houses of worship across Delaware,” according to his official bio. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church USA denomination, which teaches that the “considered decision of a woman to terminate a pregnancy can be a morally acceptable...decision,” and an issue which “may manifest itself in ways that...do not fit neatly into medical, legal or policy guidelines.”

Coons holds consistent 100% pro-abortion ratings from Planned Parenthood for his positions and votes in Congress, with NARAL docking him only for a 2017 vote to confirm Scott Gottlieb as Trump’s commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

More at link:

It nice to see that he has one issue which is agreeable. He is anti-abortion but not pro-life.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It nice to see that he has one issue which is agreeable. He is anti-abortion but not pro-life.

Merely being against abortion is not sufficiently Christ-like. It does not articulate a positive view of human life.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about his campaign promise to protect the rights of LGBTQ American citizens?

Donald Trump said and I quote: 'I will be president for all Americans.' (source)

"Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs," he wrote in a June 14, 2016, tweet.

Donald Trump's past statements about LGBT rights

Donald Trump Says Transgender People Should Use the Bathroom They Want

The promises Donald Trump made to LGBTQ American citizens during his campaign.

Trump Vows to Protect LGBTQ Citizens

Donald Trump Waves LGBT Rainbow Flag at Colorado Rally

Making GOP history, Trump vows to protect LGBT community

Donald Trump’s “support” of LGBT communities in one image

Trump vows to keep Obama-era protection for LGBT federal workers

300880_31d53969ad8857d2849830205193e0e5.jpg
And what rights have been taken away from this group?

That's right. Nothing at all has happened.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a very fair question to ask Coons why he doesn't speak against the radical pro-abortion legislation being pushed in several states now, since he claims Christianity. What is wrong with that?

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..." Jeremiah 1:5

If he claimed no such affiliation, then he can support pro-death policies all he wants, without issue.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a very fair question to ask Coons why he doesn't speak against the radical pro-abortion legislation being pushed in several states now, since he claims Christianity. What is wrong with that?

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..." Jeremiah 1:5

If he claimed no such affiliation, then he can support pro-death policies all he wants, without issue.
It is a fair question.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Which rights did he not protect?

Upvote 0