Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The people mentioned in Romans 2:4-5, were they enabled to listen and learn?

I don't see how this is a "gotcha verse". Paul shifts from speaking about Gentiles in Romans 1 to Jews in Romans 2 who were tempted to trust in themselves because they were biological children of Abraham. He will go on to talk about a righteousness from God by faith as opposed to righteousness attained by the law- the point of the passage you quoted.

Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what are your thoughts on this statement from Christ?

“But the testimony which I receive is not from man, but I say these things so that you may be saved.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:34‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Were these people who were seeking to kill Christ elected to salvation?
Some may have been and their minds were changed by Christ's words. . .the text does not say.

Paul used to be one of them, as regards persecuting Christians, and he was of the elect.

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But 1 Peter 1:1-2 says that they were chosen according to His foreknowledge. His foreknowledge of what?
Of God, regarding His church. The ekklesia, the church Jesus Christ was going to build and the gates of hell could not prevail against it. Sounds like Christ is accomplishing what He set out to do.

ekklesia:
"a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly"

He elected the ones he called out and assembled. Sounds like God made the first move!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The people mentioned in Romans 2:4-5, were they enabled to listen and learn?
Yes, those who did listen and learn did so because they were enabled (John 6:44-45).

Those who did not listen and learn were not enabled.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"--in order that God's purpose in election might stand. . .she was told 'The older will serve the younger.' " (Romans 9:11)
Paul has just demonstrated the unrighteousness of the Gentiles in chp 1.
In chp 2, he shows the unrighteousness of the Jews, in his establishing all mankind to be unrighteous. . .so that all righteousness is from God only.

He is addressing the Jews in 2:4-5, telling them that the purpose of God's kindness is to give them, who had misconstrued his patience to be a lack of intent to judge, opportunity for repentance (as we see in 2 Peter 3:9), because by not repenting of their unbelief in Jesus Christ, they were storing up wrath against themselves for the day of God's wrath; i.e., judgment at the end of time (in contrast to the judgment on the Gentiles being revealed 1:18-32).

Not sure why you asked. . .

So your position is that God enables people to repent he does not cause them to repent?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But 1 Peter 1:1-2 says that they were chosen according to His foreknowledge. His foreknowledge of what?
His foreknowledge of his decree that it shall occur.

In Scripture, God's foreknowledge is of his own work, of what he has decreed shall happen and, therefore, does happen.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of God, regarding His church. The ekklesia, the church Jesus Christ was going to build and the gates of hell could not prevail against it. Sounds like Christ is accomplishing what He set out to do.

ekklesia:
"a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly"

He elected the ones he called out and assembled. Sounds like God made the first move!

What your saying here is that God chose them according to His foreknowledge of those whom He would choose. Is that what your saying?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In Scripture, God's foreknowledge is of his own work, of what he has decreed shall happen and, therefore, does happen.

Your saying the same thing, that God chose them according to His foreknowledge of those whom He would choose. That doesn’t make any sense. He chose them because He chose them?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So your position is that God enables people to repent he does not cause them to repent?
His enablement is a change from being not disposed to repent to being disposed to repent, which gives them to repent of their own volition.

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What your saying here is that God chose them according to His foreknowledge of those whom He would choose. Is that what your saying?

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." Romans 8:29,30

This is what I'm saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your saying the same thing, that God chose them according to His foreknowledge of those whom He would choose. That doesn’t make any sense. He chose them because He chose them?
"According to his foreknowledge" means according to what he has decreed, which is stated: predestination, calling, justification, glorification, and puts into action at the appointed time.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your saying that He chose them twice. That He chose them according to those He chose. He chose them before creation He didn’t have to choose them again after creation they were already chosen to begin with according to His foreknowledge of whether or not they would repent and abide in Christ.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"According to his foreknowledge" means according to what he has decreed, which is then stated, predestination, calling, justification, glorification, and puts into action at the appointed time.

Please read post 133

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
His enablement is a change from being not disposed to repent to being disposed to repent, which gives them to repent of their own volition.

But the people in Romans 2:4-5 were not willing to repent despite God’s kindness and patience leading them to repentance. So His enablement didn’t change them from being unwilling to willing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your saying that He chose them twice. That He chose them according to those He chose. He chose them before creation He didn’t have to choose them again after creation they were already chosen to begin with according to His foreknowledge of whether or not they would repent and abide in Christ.
Foreknowledge is knowing of his own work, of his own decree that something shall occur.

"I foretold (predestined) the former things long ago,
my mouth announced
(decreed) them, and I made them known;
then suddenly I acted, they they came to be
(were accomplished)."

Isaiah 48:3

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But the people in Romans 2:4-5 were not willing to repent despite God’s kindness and patience leading them to repentance. So
His enablement didn’t change them from being unwilling to willing.
Kindness and patience are not enablement.

Enablement is a work of God within a person.

Kindness and patience increase culpability and judgment of the disobedient.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Foreknowledge is knowing of his own work, of his own decree that something shall occur.

my mouth announced
(were accomplished)."

Foreknowledge means knowing what is to come. Your saying that they were chosen according to His knowledge of choosing them. They were chosen before creation. He didn’t choose them before creation then according to His knowledge of those He chose before creation He chose them again. That doesn’t make any sense.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kindness and patience are not enablement.

Kindness and patience increase culpability of the disobedient.

So your saying that His kindness and patience was not leading them to repentance.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare73 said:

my mouth announced
(were accomplished)."

Foreknowledge means knowing what is to come.
Not in Scripture, where it includes foreordaining.
Your saying that they were chosen according to His knowledge of choosing them. They were chosen before creation. He didn’t choose them before creation then according to His knowledge of those He chose before creation He chose them again. That doesn’t make any sense.
Those whom (not things or events) he foreknew (according to his decree of election) he predestined, called, justified, glorified.

Upvote 0