POLL: Is it okay to mock God's Word?

Is it okay to mock God's Word?

• No, never!

• Yes, definitely!

• Sometimes, if they don't know any better.

• I don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You need an example? Well lets take a person who changes God's Holy Word to make it something "cute." Such as making up a Proverb in a book that doesn't exist and mocking His Holy Word.

Do you think God's Words says this is okay to do to His Word?

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
MoonlightParade said:
Like saying a homosexuality is not a sin? is that mocking the Word of GOD? Ya, please give an example... BTW, sam i dont want to debate Homosexuality today...

Please see previous post...no homosexuality involved here. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

MoonlightParade

Mar 3, 2005
✟1,883.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
well, staying on topic this time, i will say this. No, it is not all right to "mock","demean""change" "munipulate" the word of GOD, cause that is what it is.
Personally i think we would be better off, if all of us had to learn Hebrew and Greek, so there would not be as many translation problems, as there are today. Seeing as how this is impossible, i see why we translated it from Hebrew and Greek, to Latin, To English. but there maybe somethings left out, over looked, lost in translation.

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
MoonlightParade said:
well, staying on topic this time, i will say this. No, it is not all right to "mock","demean""change" "munipulate" the word of GOD, cause that is what it is.
Personally i think we would be better off, if all of us had to learn Hebrew and Greek, so there would not be as many translation problems, as there are today. Seeing as how this is impossible, i see why we translated it from Hebrew and Greek, to Latin, To English. but there maybe somethings left out, over looked, lost in translation.

Thank you for your opinion. It is appreciated. What I mean is someone deliberately taking something that is meant to be a joke, and then add a caption to it such as Proverbs 103:2. Something someone thinks is cute, but is really mocking God's Word. Do you feel that this kind of thing is okay to do? Your answer leads me to believe you would say no, but I want to make the question clearer to you. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

SBG

Jan 28, 2005
✟8,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
MeekOne said:
Thank you for your opinion. It is appreciated. What I mean is someone deliberately taking something that is meant to be a joke, and then add a caption to it such as Proverbs 103:2. Something someone thinks is cute, but is really mocking God's Word. Do you feel that this kind of thing is okay to do? Your answer leads me to believe you would say no, but I want to make the question clearer to you. Thanks again.

The Bible says to not add or subtract from God's Word. Proverbs and Revelations both say this.

By stating something as if it is in God's Word can and may lead someone to think it truly is, even if it was meant as a joke.

Honestly, being that carefree with God's Word, I don't think is the right way to treat His Word.

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SBG said:
The Bible says to not add or subtract from God's Word. Proverbs and Revelations both say this.

By stating something as if it is in God's Word can and may lead someone to think it truly is, even if it was meant as a joke.

Honestly, being that carefree with God's Word, I don't think is the right way to treat His Word.

Thank you, and I feel exacly as you do. Jesus is the Word. To me it is as if someone has made fun of Jesus. This is not something to joke with. I agree wholeheartedly and I thank you for your input here. :)

Upvote 0

Zakon

Jesus Loves
Feb 24, 2005
✟14,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
First of all, I wish to say, I do not know the heart of the person who made this caption, or what exactly the caption said; but having said that, and speaking in general terms:

We tend to forget, or not to think about at the forefront of our minds, who God is. He is the Creator; He is someone who has made us; how much greater is the Creator, than the created thing? We are the created things; and as such we should be humble. If we are not humble, then we are not true to what we actually are. He is the Almighty; His reach extends throughout all existence; His power extends beyond the ability to do anything we could possibly imagine. Our power is limited, tiny, insignificant, like a little tiny piece of dust floating in the air, compared to Him. Again, as such, we should be humble.

Having said that, we must remember, whose word are we speaking of? God's. And who again is God? I have described Him (or the bare beginning of descriptions) above. Would we dare to even consider the mocking of someone so powerful? Would we imagine to even contemplate changing or twising or ridiculing the words of someone so much Extremely Higher than us?

Someone might answer, well, He loves us. He is gracious toward us. Yes, He is indeed; thank Him for that, because if not we have already perished long ago, without His grace. But let us not cheapen His grace by exploiting it for our own selfish desires, to mock, to ridicule, to insult. We truly ought to be humble people; but there IS a strength which comes through humility; a strength from knowing God's word and thus knowing His HEART, and then, acting and behaving according to who He is at heart; and this we do in STRENGTH, as we seek to ALWAYS bring glory to Him and exalt Him.

Please also consider the scriptures below. Thank you for reading.

(Proverbs 1:7)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

(Proverbs 1:29)

Because they hated knowledge
And did not choose the fear of the LORD.

(Proverbs 2:5)

Then you will discern the fear of the LORD
And discover the knowledge of God.

(Proverbs 9:10)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

(Proverbs 15:33)

The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, basically, when you see people at WWE (wrestling) events, holding posters that say "John 3:16", they are mocking the Bible becuase they are using the verse out of context.

Am I correct in this being an example of what you are asking?

I'm just trying to figure out what you're getting at. I guess I've never seen/heard/witnessed someone mock the Bible.

Upvote 0

Zakon

Jesus Loves
Feb 24, 2005
✟14,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sam Gamgee said:
So, basically, when you see people at WWE (wrestling) events, holding posters that say "John 3:16", they are mocking the Bible becuase they are using the verse out of context.

I'm just trying to figure out what you're getting at. I guess I've never seen/heard/witnessed someone mock the Bible.

MeekOne, I hope it's OK to respond on this; this was your thread; but to Sam, I just want to say, it's a matter of a person's heart. The question to consider is, why are they holding that placard? because they are hoping someone will receive the message contained in the verse? if so, then I'd say it's not "out of context", and certainly not mocking; it's expressing God's love.

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:

Not necessarily, if they are holding up a verse reference such as John 3:16 without the words on it, who knows they may just be someone in the audience who wants to get the Word on the TV for others to remember God's Word. If it has the right words on it from God's Word, that is great. But, lets say they put John 3:16, and they put other words on it that does not reflect what the Bible teaches. Would this be wrong in your opinion?

Another example: A woman is chatting on the internet and references a book in the Bible that is not even there - say Proverbs 199 and as the verse she puts in a little comment about how she wonders what the size of a certain man's shoes are.

Do you not feel that this would be mocking the Holy Word of God? Please understand that I do not want to go to far with these examples as I feel I would place myself in the position of mocking God's Word, and that is the last thing I would ever want to do.

Is that clearer? I hope you can get the idea from the examples I have given. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Zakon said:
MeekOne, I hope it's OK to respond on this; this was your thread; but to Sam, I just want to say, it's a matter of a person's heart. The question to consider is, why are they holding that placard? because they are hoping someone will receive the message contained in the verse? if so, then I'd say it's not "out of context", and certainly not mocking; it's expressing God's love.

Yes, please do get in on the conversation. Your opinion is always appreciated. We agree on this too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
MeekOne said:
Another example: A woman is chatting on the internet and references a book in the Bible that is not even there - say Proverbs 199 and as the verse she puts in a little comment about how she wonders what the size of a certain man's shoes are.

Do you not feel that this would be mocking the Holy Word of God? Please understand that I do not want to go to far with these examples as I feel I would place myself in the position of mocking God's Word, and that is the last thing I would ever want to do.

Ah, now I get it.

OK. I guess that would definitely mock the word of God, just like saying Saturday Night Live mocks the presidents of the United States all the time. Some people enjoy mocking authority.

When one mocks the Bible, in most cases, they just have a lot of anger in their heart. And probably, they don't respect the Bible as they should. Or, they are simply ignorant to the Bible.

Regardless, it seems rather pointless to me.

Upvote 0

MeekOne

Meek is not weak
Oct 8, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟61,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sam Gamgee said:
Ah, now I get it.

OK. I guess that would definitely mock the word of God, just like saying Saturday Night Live mocks the presidents of the United States all the time. Some people enjoy mocking authority.

When one mocks the Bible, in most cases, they just have a lot of anger in their heart. And probably, they don't respect the Bible as they should. Or, they are simply ignorant to the Bible.

Regardless, it seems rather pointless to me.

I agree. Thank you so much for your input here, if you have anything else to add, please feel free to do so. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.