Is befriending non-Christians a Christian duty?

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was careful to not word my title as "sinners" (since we all are), but I'm specifically talking about people outside of the Christian faith.

When I was attending traditional church, I knew someone who was going through a rough time. They wanted to know more about Christianity, so because I was "generally new" to understanding it, I couldn't answer some of the questions they had at that time. So I asked an elder in my church if they could help (I explained my friends situation briefly, including their alcohol addiction), the elder agreed to meet with my friend, in a public place, just so long as they weren't drinking (or drunk). I have seen this kind of unwillingness to engage with people outside of the church or denomination often and it makes me wonder, why? When Jesus himself engaged with "sinners" (although he did not sin) he never turned people away who needed his help.

Why then, are there people and church groups who treat the Christian faith like its an exclusive club? It's like the scripture that says "be in the world but not of the world", makes many people think they have to completely separate themselves from all "outsiders".

But did Jesus do this? No. He was accused by the Pharisees because he ate and drank with sinners, so they tried to make him "guilty by association".

Even Paul said in 1 Timothy 1:15-16:
“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.

So what makes so many Christians today, averse to following this example? Because they believe they will fall into sin? Be "contaminated" by it? It seems counter-productive to me to have faith in God, but simultaneously shut ourselves within a church building or a group of fellow believers, and not step out to share the good news of the gospel whenever we can.

Luke 5:30-32

30 But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus’ disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with such scum?[a]”

31 Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. 32 I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent.”

Matthew 11:19

19 The Son of Man,[a] on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’ But wisdom is shown to be right by its results.”

1 Timothy 1:15-17

15 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen.

eleos1954
eleos1954
Befriend definition

(bɪˈfrend) transitive verb. to make friends or become friendly with; act as a friend to; help; aid. to befriend the poor and the weak. SYNONYMS assist, comfort, succor; welcome.
Upvote 0
YahuahSaves
YahuahSaves
Is that definition to show a "yes"?
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is that an unreasonable qualifacation?
You don't understand her reaction was one of disapproval and not compassion.

You would turn someone away from hearing the Gospel because of "potential" drunkenness? My friend was already expecting to be chastised and she wasn't wrong.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't understand her reaction was one of disapproval and not compassion.

You would turn someone away from hearing the Gospel because of "potential" drunkenness? My friend was already expecting to be chastised and she wasn't wrong.

I have spoken with people who have been drinking and getting them to be sensible about serious matters ranges from just awkward to impossible, depending how drunk they are. ( I used to pay benefits, so it was in their interest tobe sober. )
So if someone wanted to talk about Christianity I would expect them to be sober. I wouldn't turn them away, that would depend on them,
as I said trying to get the information that red tape required to pay someone could be difficult if they wouldn't or couldn't supply what was required, and it was in my interest to get matters arranged so they could be paid.

As you say many ae comfortable in there club. They shouldn't.
Churches can be very intimidating places, we still have parents who are happy for there darlings to attend church events, but who won't enter the building to collect them and this is not a ' traditional ' church building.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As you say many ae comfortable in there club. They shouldn't.
Churches can be very intimidating places, we still have parents who are happy for there darlings to attend church events, but who won't enter the building to collect them and this is not a ' traditional ' church building.
I understand what you're saying, and my friend wouldn't have gotten drunk as she already feels a lot of shame over her addiction.

And you said it: "intimidating", which is why many people won't enter a church building for fear of being chastised. I'm just a big believer that God’s love is the truest form of healing we all need, but many don't know about or understand because of the traditions of many churches.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you're saying, and my friend wouldn't have gotten drunk as she already feels a lot of shame over her addiction.

And you said it: "intimidating", which is why many people won't enter a church building for fear of being chastised. I'm just a big believer that God’s love is the truest form of healing we all need, but many don't know about or understand because of the traditions of many churches.
I'm Going to pray for your friend, Pipp.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Great Commission tells us, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

Jesus told His disciples to go out among non-Christian peoples and spread the Gospel. How are we today supposed to spread the Gospel message if we don't spend time with non-Christians?

We DO need to be in the world but not of the world. As such we'll rub shoulders with non-Christians, work beside them, socialize with them. Our lives, though, aren't to be centered around them. As Christians we should be spending the majority of our time with other Christians. This should come naturally to us as we grow further in the faith.

BUT we need to spread the message. I think your elder should have been willing to meet and speak with your friend but I can also understand about the public place. Perhaps by a public place your elder meant away from a drinking establishment? I do wonder why the meeting couldn't have taken place at the church. Whatever the circumstances it should have been done with compassion, and most importantly with willingness. Your elder would seem to be somewhat of a hypocrite. People, in general and as Christians too, tend to be hypocritical. We all are in one way or another, as we're all human. We would think and hope that religious leaders wouldn't be, but many are.

Prayers for you and your friend. I hope she got the help she needed from someone who truly cared.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our lives, though, aren't to be centered around them. As Christians we should be spending the majority of our time with other Christians.
It's funny so many Christians say that, because God seems to want me to be around non-christians more...but he doesn't want me to be part of their lifestyle (I still struggle with cigarettes but I don't drink or do hard drugs). Every time I ask him what he wants me to pray it's often for a non-believer.

I do wonder why the meeting couldn't have taken place at the church.
Because my friend went to church when she was young and was afraid she would be judged... she wasn't entirely wrong. Churches are intimidating to many people.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because my friend went to church when she was young and was afraid she would be judged... she wasn't entirely wrong. Churches are intimidating to many people.
I can agree with this,
As a teenager when i thought the LORD had Forsaken me,
it was Largely due to my experiences with people who often hung out around churches after mass etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why then, are there people and church groups who treat the Christian faith like its an exclusive club?
A lot of Christians do not share their faith because they do not want to be persecuted. I knew almost NOTHING about Christianity until I was almost 26 years old. There was suffering in my life that could have been avoided if I knew better but I did not know because no one told me. I even remember a friend at school and his parent told him to stay away from me because I did not attend a church anywhere. My parents NEVER went to church and they never took us. My grandmother took me once because I wanted to see what was going on there. But they had this thing were it was just hypnotism so don't believe anything you hear there.

Now that I am a Christian and know the goodness and love of God, I would never want to go back. Although I still do not understand why a good God would allow people to suffer so much.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of Christians do not share their faith because they do not want to be persecuted. I knew almost NOTHING about Christianity until I was almost 26 years old. There was suffering in my life that could have been avoided if I knew better but I did not know because no one told me. I even remember a friend at school and his parent told him to stay away from me because I did not attend a church anywhere. My parents NEVER went to church and they never took us. My grandmother took me once because I wanted to see what was going on there. But they had this thing were it was just hypnotism so don't believe anything you hear there.

Now that I am a Christian and know the goodness and love of God, I would never want to go back. Although I still do not understand why a good God would allow people to suffer so much.
I understand completely what you mean and I'm glad you've come to know the goodness and love of God however I have to point out the scripture referring to your quote below:

A lot of Christians do not share their faith because they do not want to be persecuted.
We are to expect persecution as a follower of Christ and we can't make that an excuse not to share the Gospel with others.

Matthew 5:10-12

10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

11 “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

Upvote 0