Poll: Does the Theory of Evolution have practical applications?

Does the Theory of Evolution have practical applications?

• I'm an evolutionist: NO, the Theory of Evolution does NOT have practical applications.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a creationist: I am unsure if the Theory of Evolution has practical applications.

• I'm an evolutionist: I am unsure if the Theory of Evolution has practical applications.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm just expressing what others have said, that evolution is given credit even when it was not necessary for a scientific development.

What is your basis for that claim though? What do you mean it's not necessary?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is your basis for that claim though? What do you mean it's not necessary?

I don't believe the ToE is necessary for all biological scientific advances, even though given credit.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I voted for #1. I believe that without the belief in evolution some discoveries would not be made, even if they might have been.

Can you give an example of a discovery that was made based on an idea that was later found to be wrong?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you give an example of a discovery that was made based on an idea that was later found to be wrong?

I think the premise of your question is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not that interested in pursuing it.
That strikes one as discourteous. It suggests you are not participating in the discussion in good faith. It's no skin of my nose if your actions are thought discourteous, but it might trouble you. Perhaps you might exercise more discretion before posting thoughts you aren't willing to explain.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That strikes one as discourteous. It suggests you are not participating in the discussion in good faith. It's no skin of my nose if your actions are thought discourteous, but it might trouble you. Perhaps you might exercise more discretion before posting thoughts you aren't willing to explain.

Kylie and I have a history. I've never been able to satisfy any of her questions. Any explanation just leads to more questions.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I offer all such advances that preceded the ToE.

That makes no sense. The context of the thread is practical applications of the scientific theory of evolution (e.g. what came after it, not before).

Do you have any examples of scientific advances predicated on the ToE that you feel do not require the ToE?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Kylie and I have a history. I've never been able to satisfy any of her questions. Any explanation just leads to more questions.

Of course, the questions aren't just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm also hoping to get you to critically examine your own position. After all, isn't that what discussion is about? And yet you seem totally unwilling to reflect on your own position. Why is that?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone who rejects contemporary science in favor of religious beliefs probably doesn't care in the first place.

I don't reject science, as it is the study of the creation.

Christian beliefs are more valuable to mankind than science, imo. Sadly mankind prefers science over truth.

We mistakenly apply scientific solutions to spiritual problems*, thus the mess we're in.

* Most problems are spiritual in origin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.