Poll: Does the Theory of Evolution have practical applications?

Does the Theory of Evolution have practical applications?

• I'm an evolutionist: NO, the Theory of Evolution does NOT have practical applications.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a creationist: I am unsure if the Theory of Evolution has practical applications.

• I'm an evolutionist: I am unsure if the Theory of Evolution has practical applications.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The ToE has practical applications, see the post above. But I didn't vote.
I object to call myself an evolutionist. Creationists may call themselves creationists. they have decided a position and are shoehorning reality into their preconceived "conclusion".
I didn't. I studied sciences (that brighter people than me gathered) and reached a conclusion after study. The ToE is the conclusion after empirical investigation, not a position in which reality needs to be forced.
"Empiricist" doesn't cover it completely, but comes closer than evolutionist.

We, science minded people, should object every time we are called "evolutionists". It is completely idiotic to use that we self call us that way.

I think that in the contest of this thread, evolutionist describes anyone who has the position that evolution is a real process.

Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I stand by my opinion. I think it is not wise to adopt that name for us self. I don't identify as an evolutionist anyway.

Since it is fashionable to label anyone with even the slightest difference of opinion as "in name only" (RINO), can I label the authors of that book as SCINOs? ;)

FWIW, even Darwin used the term "evolutionist" (in the Descent of Man).

Every evolutionist will admit that the five great vertebrate classes, namely, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes, are descended from some one prototype; for they have much in common, especially during their embryonic state.

The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation To Sex

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So on another note, I see creationists are still giving this thread a wide breath. Interesting that they aren't even electing to participate in the poll, much less the thread.

I suppose the applied sciences really are creationism's kryptonite.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think that in the contest of this thread, evolutionist describes anyone who has the position that evolution is a real process.
I get that. But I also got that malevolent people tend to ignore context when it suits them. Or tend to ignore that meanings of words can change over time (AV1611VET always used the subtitle from On the origin of species "the preservation of favoured races" for a reason).
Sometimes we should avoid to give "the other side" ammunition.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(AV1611VET always used the subtitle from On the origin of species "the preservation of favoured races" for a reason).

Speaking of him, I hope he's just taking another long break, and covid didn't get him.

Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly only a single creationist has responded to this poll. I know there are more than a few of them in these forums, so I'm really curious why they are avoiding this poll?

I'd also like to hear why @BobRyan doesn't think there are any practical applications for evolution.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'd also like to hear why @BobRyan doesn't think there are any practical applications for evolution.

No PHD in chemistry claims to "fail to be able to record the results of a chemical reaction" without first "believing" that a prokaryote will one day turn into a horse given enough billions of years of time and "just so stories" all the way up what Dawkins calls "mount improbable" - adding that "belief" to the notes he/she makes regarding their observations.

Well "That is ok for the hard sciences like chemistry, physics, computer science etc.. but what about biology related science and practice?"

===================================

World class neurosurgeons like Ben Carson (A creationist) do not need to add their "belief" in that story above to the patient's perioperative record so that they can be successful in performing the surgery.

A scientists can "observe" the mutations that occur over time in a prokaryote culture spanning over 70,000 generations of prokaryotes without first "believing" that a prokaryote will one day turn into a horse given enough billions of years of time and "just so stories" all the way up what Dawkins calls "mount improbable" - adding that "belief" to the notes he/she makes regarding their observations.

A great many real-life "observations" and changes over time can be made without adding that "belief" statement as a preamble to their observation notes.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

This would have to do with the fact that his version of evolution is not the scientific version of evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No PHD in chemistry claims to "fail to be able to record the results of a chemical reaction" without first "believing" that a prokaryote will one day turn into a horse given enough billions of years of time and "just so stories" all the way up what Dawkins calls "mount improbable" - adding that "belief" to the notes he/she makes regarding their observations.

Huh?

Has some scientists claimed that they've failed to record the results of a chemical reaction because of evolution?

Also, I don't think you understand what Dawkins' Mount Improbable analogy was getting at.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Huh?

Has some scientists claimed that they've failed to record the results of a chemical reaction because of evolution? .

I hope not. you don't need to sign a "belief statement" for evolution orthodoxy - to then be able to see the result of an experiment or conduct an experiment.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope not. you don't need to sign a "belief statement" for evolution orthodoxy - to then be able to see the result of an experiment or conduct an experiment.

So what point were you trying to make?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are only so many options one can put in a poll. And "Yes", "no", "unsure", likely covers the bulk of the possible responses.

I voted for #1. I believe that without the belief in evolution some discoveries would not be made, even if they might have been.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I voted for #1. I believe that without the belief in evolution some discoveries would not be made, even if they might have been.

What do you mean by "belief" in this context? And what is a scientific application to you?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless you're trying to poison the well, such a comparison doesn't make any sense.

I'm just expressing what others have said, that evolution is given credit even when it was not necessary for a scientific development. Similar to all deaths that involve Covid-19 are deemed Covid-19 deaths. George Floyd is a glaringly obvious example as well. He didn't die from a 'cops knee on his neck', but from medical complications of drug use (according to the coroner's report).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.