Poll as a born again Christian do you still sin

After being born again do you yourself still sin?

• Yes

Votes: 64 97.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't read the poll results but anyone who says no does not understand the bible and/or cherry picks/feels holier than thou.

The problem with the subject is the word sin is used in the bible to describe things we do against God/breaking His rules. But after being saved it says "Sin no more" and people assume that means "I'm not going to lie anymore, swear anymore....etc!". What it means is you will change once saved. It means you see what God says is a sin and you notice it in your life and change that thing. Such as you may notice "Wow, I swear to often and God says not to!". And you learn to stop swearing.

And while this is great, it doesn't mean you see every single sin or that every single sin magically goes away. All to often people are very judgmental and will be like "I never swore to begin with and if you do then your <insert put down comment>!". While they ignore other sins in their life such as being judgemental, prideful...etc.

All battles once saved are still a battle of the flesh vs spirit. You may know something like swearing is a sin, but your flesh (and the devil at times) will tempt you to swear. Like someone may cut you off and you may swerve on the road and call them a swear word.

This is all the reason why we pray for forgiveness. Because its a battle we will never be free of until we die and move on from this fleshy body/world. With that said the bible also says forgiveness is not a loophole to sin. You don't purposely sin and say "I'll do this sin, I can always pray about it later and ask for forgiveness!". Abusing it like that means you won't be forgiven.

I sin too often. And there are some sins I probably don't even notice, though I hope not. One of my sins is swearing, I used to do it a ton every day. Now it pretty much never happens unless I have a moment of super stress/panic. I may be like "<swear word> it!". Right after I feel instant guilt and pray for forgiveness and strength.

As my pastor says "People can mess up daily. Anyone who says they never sin is a liar." If Jesus came close to sinning, then we have no chance of perfection while on earth.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Didn't read the poll results but anyone who says no does not understand the bible and/or cherry picks/feels holier than thou.

The problem with the subject is the word sin is used in the bible to describe things we do against God/breaking His rules. But after being saved it says "Sin no more" and people assume that means "I'm not going to lie anymore, swear anymore....etc!". What it means is you will change once saved. It means you see what God says is a sin and you notice it in your life and change that thing. Such as you may notice "Wow, I swear to often and God says not to!". And you learn to stop swearing.

And while this is great, it doesn't mean you see every single sin or that every single sin magically goes away. All to often people are very judgmental and will be like "I never swore to begin with and if you do then your <insert put down comment>!". While they ignore other sins in their life such as being judgemental, prideful...etc.

All battles once saved are still a battle of the flesh vs spirit. You may know something like swearing is a sin, but your flesh (and the devil at times) will tempt you to swear. Like someone may cut you off and you may swerve on the road and call them a swear word.

This is all the reason why we pray for forgiveness. Because its a battle we will never be free of until we die and move on from this fleshy body/world. With that said the bible also says forgiveness is not a loophole to sin. You don't purposely sin and say "I'll do this sin, I can always pray about it later and ask for forgiveness!". Abusing it like that means you won't be forgiven.

I sin too often. And there are some sins I probably don't even notice, though I hope not. One of my sins is swearing, I used to do it a ton every day. Now it pretty much never happens unless I have a moment of super stress/panic. I may be like "<swear word> it!". Right after I feel instant guilt and pray for forgiveness and strength.

As my pastor says "People can mess up daily. Anyone who says they never sin is a liar." If Jesus came close to sinning, then we have no chance of perfection while on earth.
Amen brother! Some people are just better at deceiving themselves which is not listening to the Holy Spirit who convicts us of our sin.

If we were all to be perfect we would not need the Holy Spirit to lead us in Truth, convict us of our sin, nor would we need the act of repentance to repent for sin.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What makes one a Christian? on this site, you are forced to state a religion.....if selecting the "christian" option, makes you a christian....than of course you can still sin after that. Also if joining a christian chruch makes you a christian or being born in a christian home.....than yes, they can still sin.

We have to differentiate the title, from the one given the gift from God....else we all could be talking about something different.

does one who is filled with the spirit of God, no more I but Christ living in them, tasted of the heavenly kingdom etc... fall away after? I think Not. And Paul seems to think that, if they do, they can never come back.....
If you are referring to Hebrews 6, I like the fact the author (not necessarily Paul) begins that passage with "...it is impossible...".

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen brother! Some people are just better at deceiving themselves which is not listening to the Holy Spirit who convicts us of our sin.

If we were all to be perfect we would not need the Holy Spirit to lead us in Truth, convict us of our sin, nor would we need the act of repentance to repent for sin.
I'm not entirely sure my use of the term, "sin", is entirely accurate. Also, I'm not sure it that Scripture always refers to the same thing every time it uses the word. But I do know plenty well that sinful flesh still drives me to rebel against God as though I am capable of driving my life.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True but he did have the guidance of Jesus who is God who guarded and protected the 11 faithful apostles by His power so they would not be lost.

“During my time here, I protected them by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:12‬
Judas had that same "power" available to him.
Peter had already sinned and not repented of the sin when he told Christ "no you will not". Christ is not stopping Peter from sinning more with the denials, but letting him know he knows, so Peter cannot just sweep it under the rug when the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crows, but will have the hang himself like Judas or repent.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not entirely sure my use of the term, "sin", is entirely accurate. Also, I'm not sure it that Scripture always refers to the same thing every time it uses the word. But I do know plenty well that sinful flesh still drives me to rebel against God as though I am capable of driving my life.
We are in good company though, because Paul wrote about his struggle with sin too.

Romans 7:14-23
14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not desire, I admit that the Law is good. 17In that case, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s Law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Peter had already sinned and not repented of the sin when he told Christ "no you will not". Christ is not stopping Peter from sinning more with the denials, but letting him know he knows, so Peter cannot just sweep it under the rug when the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crows, but will have the hang himself like Judas or repent.
Judas didn't have the same power available to him. He was the last part of this verse:

except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:12‬

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I still sin but, I hate it.

Before being born again it did not bother me that much.

As I get older I sin less but, my sin bothers me more.

M-Bob
Me too. I feel out of sorts longer about it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow thanks for sharing this. I had not contemplated this concept. This appears to be speaking of a duality within a Christian. Two opposing natures pulling us in two different directions. Very interesting I’m very surprised I haven’t noticed this before. I’m not sure how I could correctly apply this to 1 John 3:9 and 1 John 5:18.

ok, trying to put forth my thinking ... sometimes I'm not good with words so bare with me ;o)

The battle between good and evil. The battle has been won by Jesus. We wait for Him to come and take "all the survivors" (saved - past, present, future) home ;o) This will be at His 2nd Coming. Amen.

1 John 3:9

9No one born (saved) of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed (Holy Spirit/Jesus) abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born (saved) of God.

How you live your life on a continuous basis ... pattern ...the trend of ones life. The Holy Spirit "keeps us in check" ... we will stumble here and there ... but we are saved.

He helps us to overcome sin ..... continuously ... it is a life-long process, however we never get rid of the sinful nature .... that will happen when He takes us home at His 2nd Coming ... we will be transformed into His likeness , no sin nature, and for eternity! AMEN

1 John 5 - same as above with additional info

18We know that everyone who has been born (saved) of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born (saved) of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

protection from the 2nd Death (destroyed never to exist again) .... we ARE saved and ultimately can not be touched by Satan (in regard to the 2nd death.)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something that’s always bothered me is there are a few verses in the Bible that say that a person who is born again will not or cannot sin.

“We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:18‬ ‭ASV‬‬

“Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭ASV‬‬

These struck me as pretty strong evidence because even looking into the Greek I can’t find anything indicating that this is a mistranslation. Even looking into the definition of the Greek words I can’t find any indication that they can have an alternate meaning. Furthermore when I look into verses that say we all still sin they are worded in a way that could be referring to past sin and possibly not future or present sins. My heart tells me that all Christians will still sin no matter how hard we try not to. I’ve met many many extremely devoted Christians and all of them admit they still sin. I’ve actually never met a Christian in person who claims they don’t still sin. I find it very hard to believe that I’ve never met anyone who is born again. I have really tried very hard to devote my life to Christ. I’m always studying and trying to learn from other Christians who have different perspectives and no matter how hard I try to achieve this goal I fail. Now I don’t steal, lie, cheat, drink alcohol, harm or attack others, etc. Mostly my sins are things like doubt, worry, complaining, frustration, and occasionally pride. Maybe some light boasting in there as well. I believe that everyone will sin even after being born again. I believe there is a difference between being a slave to sin and occasionally stumbling in sin. As Christians we are no longer a slave to sin we are no longer controlled by our sinful nature but we are not perfect and will still stumble from time to time. This is what I believe. So I decided to create this poll to see what percentage of Christians claim they don’t sin and to perhaps see more perspectives on this subject to see if there’s some evidence I’m missing to help me better understand whether I’m just truly not born again or that everyone sins whether they are born again or not. In the event this becomes a debate between those who claim not to sin and those who claim they do sin I will remind everyone please refrain from saying that a person is not a Christian or is not born again as it is against the forum rules.

The question you need to ask is, "What is born of God?" As Triune beings we have a body, soul and spirit. The only part of our being that is born-again is our spirit. Our bodies need to be glorified, and our minds (soul) need to be renewed. That leaves our spirits. The Bible says,

1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

It is in our spirit that we are sealed by the Holy Ghost. It is in our spirits that we do not, and can not sin because we are joined to the Lord who does not and can not sin.

This is a difference between sin as an action and sin as our nature. Our nature is in our spirit which, when born again, does not sin. This is what our redemption means. But our bodies remain sin, and our choices oft times are sinful. Many Christians sin because they think they are driven to sin by a sin nature. That is not true. We sin because we don't see the consequences of sin or our desires have not yet come under the cross. This what discipleship into maturity is about. Desire does not require a sin nature. Eve was perfect with no sin when she looked upon the forbidden fruit as "something to be desired."

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And many of our sins are sins of omission rather than of commission. Do we really love God with our whole heart? Do we really love our neighbors as ourselves? Do we feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, take in strangers, cloth the naked, look after the sick, or visit the imprisoned?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something that’s always bothered me is there are a few verses in the Bible that say that a person who is born again will not or cannot sin.

“We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.”

“Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭ASV‬‬

These struck me as pretty strong evidence because even looking into the Greek I can’t find anything indicating that this is a mistranslation. Even looking into the definition of the Greek words I can’t find any indication that they can have an alternate meaning. Furthermore when I look into verses that say we all still sin they are worded in a way that could be referring to past sin and possibly not future or present sins. My heart tells me that all Christians will still sin no matter how hard we try not to. I’ve met many many extremely devoted Christians and all of them admit they still sin. I’ve actually never met a Christian in person who claims they don’t still sin. I find it very hard to believe that I’ve never met anyone who is born again. I have really tried very hard to devote my life to Christ. I’m always studying and trying to learn from other Christians who have different perspectives and no matter how hard I try to achieve this goal I fail. Now I don’t steal, lie, cheat, drink alcohol, harm or attack others, etc. Mostly my sins are things like doubt, worry, complaining, frustration, and occasionally pride. Maybe some light boasting in there as well. I believe that everyone will sin even after being born again. I believe there is a difference between being a slave to sin and occasionally stumbling in sin. As Christians we are no longer a slave to sin we are no longer controlled by our sinful nature but we are not perfect and will still stumble from time to time. This is what I believe. So I decided to create this poll to see what percentage of Christians claim they don’t sin and to perhaps see more perspectives on this subject to see if there’s some evidence I’m missing to help me better understand whether I’m just truly not born again or that everyone sins whether they are born again or not. In the event this becomes a debate between those who claim not to sin and those who claim they do sin I will remind everyone please refrain from saying that a person is not a Christian or is not born again as it is against the forum rules.
your present understanding im guessing is very clouded.
first no one says they dont ever sin
second anyone who has been set free from the power of sin (for whom the son sets free is free indeed) is under NO compulsion to do works/deeds of sin which they KNOW are sinful.
for instance if a person looks at inappropriate content which is adultary ,they Know it is sinful,but they keep doing it anyway ,they are willfully sinning.
in scripture they are only one of two catagories
1. having been set free they are trampling the grace of God and blooddof Christ underfoot
or 2. they have not yet ever come to a place of sincere repentance.

the text in johns letter states that no one born of God can CONTINUE IN sin ...they cease from sinful works as they become aware of them in thier life

if a person continues DOing sinful deeds with no turning away from them ,John states they are of the devil, simply they do not yet know God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This refers to mortal sin, not venial sin. If you are born again it is hard to imagine committing a mortal sin.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe Judas would’ve never received the Holy Spirit because I don’t believe he ever believed according to John 6:64. As for Peter the Holy Spirit doesn’t stop someone from sinning. He only urges them not to.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
your present understanding im guessing is very clouded.
first no one says they dont ever sin
second anyone who has been set free from the power of sin (for whom the son sets free is free indeed) is under NO compulsion to do works/deeds of sin which they KNOW are sinful.
for instance if a person looks at inappropriate content which is adultary ,they Know it is sinful,but they keep doing it anyway ,they are willfully sinning.
in scripture they are only one of two catagories
1. having been set free they are trampling the grace of God and blooddof Christ underfoot
or 2. they have not yet ever come to a place of sincere repentance.

the text in johns letter states that no one born of God can CONTINUE IN sin ...they cease from sinful works as they become aware of them in thier life

if a person continues DOing sinful deeds with no turning away from them ,John states they are of the devil, simply they do not yet know God.

1 John 5:18 says

We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.”

However I agree with your understanding of Christians and sin.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could 1:8 not be referring to one born again? He is including himself when he says "we."
TD:)
yes John is certainly speaking to born again people and also laying a good measure for how to tell if one is not actually born again .
But it needs to be noted that people miss a rather obvious point .John is addressing three distinct levels of maturity in faith.
he speaks to babes in christ (little children)
young men , and Fathers .

to the little children he implores them to NOT SIN. but to these a huge amount of Grace is afforded them
To the young men in the faith who are now "OVER COMING" a much higher standard is expected of them and as always sin remaind unacceptable.
To the fathers in faith the expectation is implicitly high, for much grace has already been afforded them and thus MUCH is required of them .

the contrast is this- a new believer learning to walk in the holy spirit and NOT after the flesh,will make error and the holy spirit will say to them thats sin ,stop it. IF they disagree then they lie and the truth is not in them .(there are multitudes of CF users like this ,entire sections of CF are filled with people who refuse to agree with the holy spirit and make excuse even for very blatant sin- Idolatry being a big example-)
These sincere new believers heed the holy spirit ,cease that behaviour and transform and may stumble as they ,being babies,learn to walk upright.
Where as the Fathers
these know VERY WELL what is sin, having learned discernment and no such grace is afforded them. walking back into sinful deeds which they know to be sin is error which brings peril of hellfire.but the sincere would never do that being that they have grown also in Love for God .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 5:18 says

We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.”

However I agree with your understanding of Christians and sin.
yes ,i was referring also to ch 3
Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister. - 1 John 3:4-10

• Agree
Upvote 0