Florida
✟35,060.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay..Ive been on this forum for over a year now...and never share personal things but I need some input. My husband and I have alot of problems right now..between the two of us I mean..and Im gonna try not to get too personal..what I want to know is do you all think its okay for him to yell at me when were arguing..I mean scary yelling..well it is to me anyway..hes alot bigger than me so it scares the you know what out of me..not only the yelling but for an example I was outside on the phone with my b.f..and I heard something hit the window..I didnt know if he hit it or what..later he said he threw a box at it..hes done things like that before and when I mention them he says Im blowing things way out of proportion..and I should be ashamed of myself..now Ill tell you how I feel about it and you can tell me if you agree or disagree..he also says alot of the time I bother him when hes tired..I feel like tired or not no matter what I do I do not deserve to yelled at..nor do I deserve him to threaten the relationship is done..we have two small children and Im mortified at the things that have been said in front of them..I swore my children would never experience that kind of thing..and at what point is yelling abuse? is it at all? I wonder other people think about this..and yes Ive told him a hundred times and even begged please do not yell at me..weve been together for fourteen years now..hes gotten angrier over the years..and I just dont know what to do because now Im at a point where I dont even like him..and thats not good..well sorry this is so long..Ill wait for your input and thanks for listening..

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
At first I thought "b.f." was "boyfriend" and I was like, "Yeah, I'd yell at you, too!" :p But I assume you mean best friend. My bad.

Yelling can be abuse, absolutely. Especially if it's frequent and it scares you and it's in front of the kids. Personally, I don't think yelling is ever acceptable.

If you can, seek some help. At first it may be just for you, but you can talk to your husband about seeking help as well. Perhaps he needs to learn how to channel his stress in a different direction? Maybe he only knows this way of arguing and needs to learn how to have a debate or discussion without it getting heated?

I hope you get the help you need and I hope your husband is open to changing his behavior.

Upvote 0

Brotherfromanothermother

Same Heavenly Father - different earthly mothers
Nov 12, 2006
So California - Between the Mountains & the Surf
✟16,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay..Ive been on this forum for over a year now...and never share personal things but I need some input. My husband and I have alot of problems right now..between the two of us I mean..and Im gonna try not to get too personal..what I want to know is do you all think its okay for him to yell at me when were arguing..I mean scary yelling..well it is to me anyway..hes alot bigger than me so it scares the you know what out of me..not only the yelling but for an example I was outside on the phone with my b.f..and I heard something hit the window..I didnt know if he hit it or what..later he said he threw a box at it..hes done things like that before and when I mention them he says Im blowing things way out of proportion..and I should be ashamed of myself..now Ill tell you how I feel about it and you can tell me if you agree or disagree..he also says alot of the time I bother him when hes tired..I feel like tired or not no matter what I do I do not deserve to yelled at..nor do I deserve him to threaten the relationship is done..we have two small children and Im mortified at the things that have been said in front of them..I swore my children would never experience that kind of thing..and at what point is yelling abuse? is it at all? I wonder other people think about this..and yes Ive told him a hundred times and even begged please do not yell at me..weve been together for fourteen years now..hes gotten angrier over the years..and I just dont know what to do because now Im at a point where I dont even like him..and thats not good..well sorry this is so long..Ill wait for your input and thanks for listening..

Thanks for sharing. I assume by bf you mean best friend not boyfriend. lol
He's obviously got some anger management issues. When this behavior becomes "abusive" is somewhat subjective.
I don't think it's right. It's not Godly or loving. Bringing up the relationship being "done" is a most hurtful thing. Yelling isn't healthy but it sounds like he needs better communication skills. Counseling perhaps? Sometimes being accountable to another "outside" source can allow you to work through the problems without the yelling and as strong a sense of anger.
Raised voices and escalating emotions are common in marital disagreements. It's unfortunate he feels the need to scream. I can imagine how scary it could be. I know too though that if you are "fighting" with someone and they won't let you be heard that could be a response to be heard. Has he ever physically harmed you in a way that should cause you to fear for your safety or that of your children? Throwing things is childish and can be abusive.
What line of work is he in? Could it be putting undue stress on him? Are you guys in a tough place financially and he is freaking out?
Do you/he/family attend a local church?
I've been in similar situations both as a kid and maritally. It sucks. It feels like there's no way out. You're not alone.
I'm sure there's good things about the guy? Fighting isn't a non stop 24/7 thing is it?
Let us know so we can pray more directly for your family. (and your sanity):hug:
BFAM

Upvote 0

nicholzac

Legend
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
✟35,060.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes there are alot of good things..or I certainly wouldnt have been here this long..financially were better now since I got a part time job at night which I love..I had come down with cabin fever after being at home for twelve years..he says hes tired and I provoke him..almost like saying if you didnt make me mad I wouldnt hit you..its crap..he hasnt ever hit me..he once in a while will do something like the window incident last night..

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wow, has he displayed this behavior for a long time or is it something new? In either case it is a problem but the problem can be somewhat different.

First of all yelling in an argument is wrong. It is an attempt to scare or hurt the other and make them then give in to give you want to want. It usually works in the short term so some seem to almost get trained into it. It is also hurtful which is a violation of your relationship. Nothing should be so important to either of you that you turn to hurting the other to get it.

Anyway, it's hard to talk about much of anything with someone who acts like that, it just tends to turn on the hollering.

And the throwing things and such is just childish.

Difficult to know where to start. First, I would think you should sit down and really think about how your family works and how his family works and how the family the two of you have works.

If someone quietly asks nicely in those families for something to happen or be done, is it? Or is it ignored? When someone hollars what happens, does the person get what they want to happen?

See sometimes people are just like Pavlov's dog, they simply get trained to do what works. If asking nice doesn't work, they give that up, if hollering works, they learn to do that.

Some people stay at the hollering their whole life, some whole families do it. I know I've been around some families that if my family hollered like that, well we better take a good look because we probably aren't ever going to see each other again, yet if you observe or ask nobody in that family thinks that much of it, that's just the way it is.

Where you get real big problems is when you mix the two, quiet polite people with screaming hollering. That's big trouble in understanding.

But I'm concerned that it likely is more with your husband because of the other behavior, the throwing things and such.

A good thing to do in either case is to work together, to learn to fight fair. Sometimes people don't think of why we have disagreements and how to go about actually fixing them. If you look up fighting fair on the internet, you can find lots of places that give you the basics. Talk about that, talk about how you feel when he hollers. Ask him to work with you to learn to fight fair. Point out that one major reason for doing so is to resolve conflict and have a better life for him as well as you.

See just asking or begging for him to not holler doesn't work, you have to provide the alternative, one that actually works.

We all get shorter with others when we are tired or under a lot of stress or whatever, but there is a point where it becomes another part of abuse, when everyone has to walk like on eggshells hoping not to cause another outburst, it's abusive.

Thing is, it's quite likely that if he would just try, he could learn not to be this way. It's often just a lazy way to live. A destructive way. It's often tough to get the guy to respond properly because if you bring up something like counseling right away the tendency is for him to take it as if you are going to tell him what to do and he will fight it naturally.

It's one area where I think the thing to do is ask an authority figure in his life for help. Maybe your pastor, talk with him and ask him for help. Maybe your father in law if it isn't like your husband is just a copy of him. Some older man or friend of your husband whom he respects really can make the suggestion for change and have a much better chance of a positive response.

What happens with a lot of these men is they are really almost over passive with others like their bosses and such and when they come home they explode on the family and become an absolute dictator. Getting help such and counseling can really help them because they can learn how to be much happier professionally and not a doormat, and much happier personally because they aren't some dictator that scares their family. It's just hard for the family to get the dictator to get counseling and other people often think he's just he nicest guy, why would he need counseling?

Usually guys who holler are one of those two types, someone who has just learned to do it. Or someone who is often profoundly unhappy, who is very passive in his job and dealings with others who turns around and is a dictator to his family.

Marv

Reactions: nicholzac
Upvote 0

nicholzac

Legend
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
✟35,060.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow...first of all hes willing to go to counceling..however he says Ill propb quit once they show me how wrong I am..the other problem we have is neither one of us have piers..his father is deceased and mother lives very far away..my father never even signed my birth certificate so I never had one and my mother has alot of personal issues which keep us from having a true relationship..he has no friends..I only have my best friend and of course we have aqqaintences but thats it..therefore we have no help with our children..we never have its always just the four of us unless its a holiday or something..rarely can I get a sitter..we do not attend church as we pass through the doorway every day..I never know for sure what two days Ill have off that week..as far as work goes several years ago he became manager and I noticed him trying to manage the house and pointed that out..dont get me wrong now I am a very strong women..I can also be very aggresive..he does scare me but I do not cow down to him ever..however he has changed jobs and at work is very proffesional personable curtious and now has a boss..so you have me thinking about that..thank you so much for your time..I really appreciate it..God bless you

Upvote 0

mrscplus

Jul 8, 2007
Toronto
✟8,162.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yelling, I think crosses the line when it is degrading, insultling or belittling. If it is meant to make you question your self-worth, or is meant to bully you.

If you grew up in a quiet home, I can see where that would be an issue for you. DH doesn't like it when I raise my voice, because no one in his home did (they just stopped speaking to each other). My growing up, yelling was not meant to be abusive, it just got hot emotions out and over with.

For me, it's like a hurricane...short, swift, but leaves those around to clean up. I have worked on this for a long time, and now it's only in really severe situations that my voice gets raised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

No, it's not ok, and yes, it's scary and hurtful and usually demonic in nature. When my husand acts that way, I leave the room, and if he comes out and yells at me, I ignore him and say calmly "i'm not going to talk to you while you talk to me that way...." and repeat myself if I need to. And if he gets in my face.... then well, that hasn't happened yet without me knocking him for a loop:crossrc: (lord have mercy!)... if he gets too close in his anger, the fight is on, I go into pure defense mode.. but that is off the topic.

I think the worst part about those scenarios is how hurtful it is inside.. it hurts down deep... They say yelling at kids hurts their self esteem... something I've sworn to never do but now I do it... I pray for the lord's help and try not to....

Anyways, keep praying for God's love and spirit of peace to reign in your home.... in your anger don't sin, and don't return evil for evil.... oh yeah, a gentle word turns away wrath, leave the situation and remain calm.... until he calms. God Bless!

HB

Upvote 0

MauiMamma

*Pray without ceasing* ... 1 Thess. 5:16-18
Aug 8, 2006
Valencia, California
✟29,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens with a lot of these men is they are really almost over passive with others like their bosses and such and when they come home they explode on the family and become an absolute dictator. Getting help such and counseling can really help them because they can learn how to be much happier professionally and not a doormat, and much happier personally because they aren't some dictator that scares their family. It's just hard for the family to get the dictator to get counseling and other people often think he's just he nicest guy, why would he need counseling?

Usually guys who holler are one of those two types, someone who has just learned to do it. Or someone who is often profoundly unhappy, who is very passive in his job and dealings with others who turns around and is a dictator to his family.

Marv

Your whole post-Utterly amazing insight, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!

Upvote 0