LDS Please explain what the atonement means for Mormons.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
That isn't true. I haven't been complaining; I've only been explaining to people who don't understand the new birth./QUOTE]
I must have missed that. Could you tell me which post number you explained your views regarding whether or not a person must repent before salvation? That was I can go re-read it.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
phoe keeps complaining that we feel we have to repent and obey, I don't get it. You are not trully saved if you don't repent!
Your comment was not directed at "phoe". (BTW, I'm pretty sure she would like to be called "Phoebe Ann".) It was directed at "you people". If you don't get it, then ask for clarification instead of assuming and making up strawmen.

I really don't understand why you people believe you can be saved without repenting of your sins?

Do you really think you can do some good works and then go out and commit adultery and still be saved?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That would be full reconciliation, yes.

So are you saying people aren't fully reconciled to God until they manage to muster up some latent faith or get baptized by one with authority to baptize?

Mormons change the biblical concepts of reconciliation and salvation to full or partial, but first use only the words reconciliation and salvation without the adjective. That is misleading. These adjectives are not in the Bible. The Bible speaks of reconciliation and salvation.

"Add thou not unto his words."

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, not everyone is fully reconciled to God.
You're a little behind on your responses. Where do you find the words fully reconciled in the Bible? Where do you find the words partially reconciled?

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You're a little behind on your responses. Where do you find the words fully reconciled in the Bible? Where do you find the words partially reconciled?
You know very well that the LDS church recognizes God's voice in more works than the Bible, from which composite of doctrine I've drawn the ideas I've shared. And we've discussed (as in you and I, personally, on this forum) this very topic before, so I don't know how it could be a new idea to you. Nothing has changed since then. So unless you have new information on the topic, there is little call for beating the horse again. IMO.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You know very well that the LDS church recognizes God's voice in more works than the Bible, from which composite of doctrine I've drawn the ideas I've shared. And we've discussed (as in you and I, personally, on this forum) this very topic before, so I don't know how it could be a new idea to you. Nothing has changed since then. So unless you have new information on the topic, there is little call for beating the horse again. IMO.

I didn't discuss reconciliation with you or another LDS before. Perhaps you have another word for it. But which LDS verse can you or another Mormon give us that speaks of partial reconciliation?

"When we fail to forgive, even when such forgiveness is not sought, we commit the terrible sin of denying the power of the Atonement. The Atonement is not just for me; it is also for those who cause offense against me, who injure me, who gossip about me, and who rob me of those things that are most precious. The Savior suffered the Atonement for all of God’s children—the obedient and the disobedient."
- Elder Terence M. Vinson, Reconciled to God, General Conference, October 2014

In his talk, Elder Vinson, quotes 2 Corinthians 5:18-20. That doesn't speak of partial reconciliation. Are you using the word forgiveness as a synonym for reconciliation? If you are, the only way to receive forgiveness of all sins, according to the Bible, is to be born again (passing from spiritual death to spiritual life). Mormonism teaches that the Lord partially forgives those he places in the lower kingdoms or lower levels of the CK. Is that what you're saying?

If you prefer not to answer that's fine. It merely suggests that you don't want the answer given to the other members of CF who are reading this.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread is closed for review

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has had a clean.
Please refrain from further flaming and goading.​
Also, please note the specific guidelines in the SOP for this forum;
this thread is open only to Christians and Latter-Day Saints.​

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So you rushed into things, didn't even learn the basics, and you want to blame us for your haste?

I find that HIGHLY doubtful.

So 14 months and you still hadn't read the basic scriptures or materials? That's on you, not us.

The Book of Mormon says absolutely nothing about becoming gods and goddesses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums