Playing poker for living. Acceptable or not?

Nov 13, 2016
Latvia
✟126,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As the thread states - is it okay to play poker for living?

I'm 25. I've been doing it for living since 18. Accepted Christ last June, thought that I have to stop playing, but have wounded up in a situation where I have no money, no skills, almost no job opportunities, but I do have a desire to learn a new profession so I have the necessity for some funds to do that and earning some money playing poker is the best option for me as it is something I know how to do and it is easily combined with learning because I can do it whenever I want instead of a 9-5 job. Although I am thinking about learning in the internet so I could also do a 9-5. The problem is that it's really hard to find a job where I am living and most of the job offers are something that I wouldn't like to do. Also I have no job experience so most of employers would choose someone who has over me who doesn't and who has played poker his whole life. But at the same time I realize that it's a lot about how I present myself and it seems that my life gets a little bit more joyous and happy lately (by the grace of God) so I could be a better person at trying to get a job.

Anyway, what do you think about playing poker for living?

Last edited:
Reactions: Truthfrees

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To start with I really don´t know what I think Yet. I suggest You fast a while, pray and ask the Lord. Try not to think in Your own power so much about the subject, let the Lord do the thinking for You when You fast, and keep Your brain open for Him. That means, when You fast and pray decide whether You should or should not surf the internet. Can You stay away from ungodly sites. In case You can´t, go to a place and do not take Computer with You and pray and fast there. Some loose and some win in poker and there got to be an age limit, and clear rules of not betting money that You do not own. The thing with stocks is that there are all kind of stocks , but poker is just one. Poker. If Poker is all You can do, try to keep Your eyes open on other workpossibilities, with a retirementplan. My father was a great runner but felt sorry for those that lost so He didn´t entered many competitions, my sister did and became a star. People like stars. Dad oriented himself into buying and selling stocks instead. People win and loose on stocks too. I´d rather have a sheep in a wolfs clothing than a wolf in a wolfs clothing if that opinion counts. I have heard of someone that teaches languages in school and them islam to kids that have the right to learn islam in school and she says she rather teaches Islam than having a Imam doing it. You can of course consider the same would You rather have You play poker for living and teach that to your kids or would You rather have someone else teach Your kids poker when they get curious. Do You think they should play poker? I have always learned from home that I should never gamble about money and I have always lost so I would never play Poker. But face with the alternative of loosing everything I own, house etc. including the right to have my kids stay at home or play poker if I knew how to do it, I would play poker, but I would look for other possibilities as well. When a possible workopportunity pops up I would take it.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady M.
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2016
Latvia
✟126,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To move I still need money to rent a place and then also find a job. I have thought about that. I'm in a messy situation as the things I would like to do I'm not sure I can, because here in Latvia to work in public sector you almost always have to know not only latvian, but also russian. And I don't know russian. So again a lot of people would have upper hand over me...

I wouldn't lose money playing poker. I'm quite skilled in this field and I know I am a winning player in the long term.

So yes, this is more of an ethical question. Is it okay to gain money from people that are gambling with it or are addicted to the game? At the same time a lot of people playing poker must enjoy the game and play for fun realizing how much they can invest in it.

Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So You need a russian wife that speaks english and latvian actually. Then you will learn russian too. Ideally she should live where You should study. You are Young still. If You don´t want a russian wife, find a russian friend or take a class in russian language. I have the same problem in my country. Being a swedish speaker barely understanding Finnish. Would delivering Pizzas parttime be ok? That is not many sentences. Otherwise I can tell you that great skilled computer programmers are needed all over the world. The work language is english but as you said russian probably in your country too. Dont start oogling over all undressed russian brides, pray for a christian woman. I believe the Lord knows best.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The long term with poker is that not like this?; Some rich, halfdrunk guy comes in and plays and looses 10.000 euroes and the next morning He is angry and has a hangover and is a bit more sober. He has regrets, about his playing and wants his money back or You dead so first He tries to say - Hey I was drunk, If that does not get Him His money back He might find a crook in the street to get a mask on and follow You into your house and kill You for a sum of money and take His money back. There are cruel and desperate people out there.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Klavs,

This is a complicated issue and it may be difficult to find someone to help you examine it from the point of view of God's will for you who doesn't have preconceptions about how God uses people. As a result, I and others will direct you to seek the Lord's will. As a change in lifestyle, I recommend studying the Bible, praying daily, stop doing things that you believe are sins, and figure out how you can regularly help people in greater need than you. If you do these things, I believe the Lord will guide you into his will.

I think the typical reaction of Christians would be to examine how depending on this form of income will affect you in the long-run. The older you get, the more difficult (and less likely) it is you will be able/motivated to learn other skills. It also may be more harmful to the way you think about things over time than it is right now. The gambling industry hurts many more people than it helps and it may be appropriate to not continue to be one of the people that fuels it. Struggle in this life is meant to drive people to God. If gambling is a sin for you, it will definitely hurt you. It may prevent you from going deeper in your relationship with God, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rich people are greedy, yes. Is there something wrong with russian wives? Maybe they drink too much. I know a nice wife from Russia, but she is already married. You don´t have to take someone old fat one that have Siberian tigers on her backyard. Just pray over it. I got married at 21 Years of age and my husband was 22 and You are getting old already:). The older you get the older You look, that is the fact. Some women want to have their first child before they are 30 so consider that too. Maybe your future wife is in the church.
My husband did not have work either, he was studying when we got married.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You already know it's not, so why pretend? be honest with yourself and others...when you find yourself
asking such a question as "Is it okay to play poker for a living?"...instead of asking how can I please the Lord
and honor His Word...your priorities aren't in order.
While there is no scripture that states: "Do not gamble" there are warnings in the bible about the love of
money, coveting, greed/ gaining wealth too quickly... an how the love of money has caused many to wonder from the faith.... read: 1 Timothy 6:10, Proverbs 13:11, 1Corinthians 10:23 Hebrews 13:5.

I'm 25. I've been doing it for living since 18. Accepted Christ last June, thought that I have to stop playing, but have wounded up in a situation where I have no money, no skills, almost no job opportunities, but I do have a desire to learn a new profession so I have the necessity for some funds to do that and earning some money playing poker is the best option for me as it is something I know how to do and it is easily combined with learning because I can do it whenever I want instead of a 9-5 job.
Give careful consideration to 1 Timothy 6:10... as you have written that you've been gambling for a living since
you were 18...and the woes are evident... you got money quickly, it be easy to sit online gambling, it be addictive
and time passed and now you 25 and have come to faith in Christ last June...now there's seems to be a warring in
your spirit...about spending your time gambling online, instead of doing honest work with your hands.
The Holy Spirit is alerting you to the fact that gambling for a living isn't honest work with your hands, it's not
something that be edifying in the life of someone who is to be following Christ and living a life founded on biblical teaching.

Although I am thinking about learning in the internet so I could also do a 9-5. The problem is that it's really hard to find a job where I am living and most of the job offers are something that I wouldn't like to do. Also I have no job experience so most of employers would choose someone who has over me who doesn't and who has played poker his whole life. But at the same time I realize that it's a lot about how I present myself and it seems that my life gets a little bit more joyous and happy lately (by the grace of God) so I could be a better person at trying to get a job.

It matters what the Word of God teaches us to live lives that are honoring to God and His standards set forth in the
bible. In it we are instructed to do honest work....gambling is that honest work?

Gambling isn't honest work because it's deceptive/misleading/addictive etc...You've had the "benefit" of gambling since age 18 up to age 25... you make money at it but the affects of gambling... easiness of gaining money has become a snare to you, in short you're also addicted...you've said to yourself the person I'm winning money from is wealthy an doesn't care about the money they lost to me... however, the other side to this is...your gambling partner(s) be addicted to gambling... so there's a lot of gamblers who are caught in gambling's web of deception.

Gambling breeds covetousness... an as you may know the Bible says do not covet...Exodus 20:17.

Many of the jobs I worked when I was young were manual labor types... I've washed dishes, washed cars, did
yard work, ran errands, childcare etc...as you see, none of those earlier jobs were "glamorous" and they only
paid minimum wage....but it was honest work and it kept a roof over my head and food on the table... in time
I would be able to better myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I'm 25. I've been doing it for living since 18. Accepted Christ last June, thought that I have to stop playing, but have wounded up in a situation where I have no money, no skills, almost no job opportunities, but I do have a desire to learn a new profession so I have the necessity for some funds to do that and earning some money playing poker is the best option for me as it is something I know how to do and it is easily combined with learning because I can do it whenever I want instead of a 9-5 job. Although I am thinking about learning in the internet so I could also do a 9-5. The problem is that it's really hard to find a job where I am living and most of the job offers are something that I wouldn't like to do. Also I have no job experience so most of employers would choose someone who has over me who doesn't and who has played poker his whole life. But at the same time I realize that it's a lot about how I present myself and it seems that my life gets a little bit more joyous and happy lately (by the grace of God) so I could be a better person at trying to get a job.

I think God expects us to be good stewards of what He has given us. Read about the three people that were given money by their master.

What I think is that if you are already doing this and do not have another job or skill that you should stay with it until you cannot not do it anymore. I think that would be finding some sort of training or going back to school so you can then have a regular job, because gambling is so up and down, how does one support themselves as a 'job' gambling?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't agree with gambling as a hobby or a living because it is too addictive and destructive. My mother became addicted to gambling and it almost ruined everything. My parents were married for over thirty years and also got divorced. They lost their life savings a big bulk of my father's retirement. They also lost my childhood home (let it go due to getting too far behind.) She had to start lying to friends and family.

Gambling - even if you are not addicted - is taking part in playing on other peoples weaknesses and addictions. It involves deceiving people with facial expressions and mannerisms and bluffing.

I see a lot of Christians be fine with it but I'm completely against it and think God is too.

Upvote 0

DrZoidberg

Mar 3, 2017
Malmø
✟16,072.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single

I'd say your question answers it. If you didn't have a problem with it, why would you ask the question?

I don't think anybody else has a right to judge you for it. Apart from God, that is.

I think you've got to figure this one out on your own

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

myownmynativeland

Jan 10, 2016
USA
✟8,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Certainly playing poker for a living is no worse than being a stock broker, insurance seller or debt collector.

• Agree
Reactions: Clovis Man
Upvote 0

Painted Dog

Nov 13, 2015
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I'm a 26yr old American and I play poker casually. One thing you all need to get is that poker involves a serious amount of skill and it is very possible for someone to make a good living from it. Poker is not like the slot machine where you put a dollar in and hope you get it back out. To be a winning player, one needs to be more skilled than just a lucky gambler.

I am not someone that takes every word in the bible literally. I was saved 3 years ago and I have prayed nearly every day since. I love God because when I pray, I get answers. I pray for Gods will in my life every day. Everyone makes their own decisions okay. Why would you have Klavs risk his lively hood? Clearly he doesnt have any other opportunities currently so why make him feel horrible for feeding his family? You can twist the bible to mean anything you want and you all are using your bias against him.

Do what you need to do for your family. Simply pray for God's will in your life that's all you have to do.

Upvote 0

Koos

May 25, 2015
✟7,853.00
Faith
Christian

If you still have no money after all these years of playing poker, then you are obviously not cut out for this job. Find something where they actually let you keep the money you make.

Jokes aside, the question to ask yourself is wether or not you can play poker honorably. John Newton, the writer of Amazing Grace, was master of a slave ship at the time when he gave himself to the Lord. He remained in his job for another 8 years, but during that time the slaves on his ship received much more humane trearment. The sin of slavery is of course worthy of it's own thread, i am jus using John Newton as an example.
All the blessings.

Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with some posters saying that you sometimes cannot answer questions by yourself. If God is God than He surely have a great plan for you. What that plan is , and how it goes . He knows, but the question is , do you know? Did you know that God can talk and you can hear? Priests in the old testament did it. With music, The apostles did it. In 1 Samual 3, a boy heared God speaking in audit-able voice even. Nowadays Gods voice sounds like: Dreams, visions, thoughts, impressions from heart or mind. This means Gods voice is very still and it requires effort to hear Him very well. Talking He is already.

If you cannot identify His voice so easy yet. Go find His children who do. But do check every word they speak, for some are wolves in lamb clothing.... they say half truths and half lies, which will bring you death and pain...
True prophets can give you God's word which you can pray upon and make it part of your live. Enabling His will to seep into your live as you pray what He has said, and your lives direction is changing....

So . let God Himself tell you what you should do. And if you don't know yet. Pray earnestly, honestly, with love for Him who sits on the throne, and give yourselves as a living sacrifice. Heart, mind, thoughts, everything. Then He can start planning your live for God's glory.

Go find His children who are prophets. there are many. (discipleship is doing what Jesus did, the best thing you can ever do!)

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'll give you my perspective, which is that of an ex poker player. I say ex because the Lord has made it known to me that He doesn't want me to play poker. He has curtailed me to the point to where I really don't want to play it anymore, although I am still tempted to do so. It isn't part of my life anymore, though, and you may have trouble seeing how that is possible right now. I understand the love for it, which is not just for money but also the thrill of the game. Just know that God is making you into a new person right now, and you won't love a lot of the things that you have loved anymore, and you may actually grow to despise them because you know God despises them.

If you look at any casino or poker hall in the United States, God isn't getting any glory from them. In pretty much all cases, they breed things that God hates. There are some "responsible" gamblers out there, but many are spending money they don't have because they are addicted. Out here in Montana where gambling is legalized it is a huge problem. Most of the people in the casinos out here are addicts and are destroying themselves and their families. This is the kind of environment in which a lot of poker games will happen, which should tell us something.

The test of whether something is good in the Kingdom of God is not whether it works. That is a philosophy called "pragmatism", that the test of whether something is good is if it works. In the Kingdom of God, the test of whether something is good is if it pleases God. If it doesn't please God it will never work, and although you may find temporal gain here on Earth, you will lose out eternally. The bible says in Romans 14:23 that anything that you can't do in faith is sin. So if you can't play poker in faith then it is sin. If you ignore that you will notice correction happening in your life. You will notice that whatever gain you make through it, things will start to happen which will make that gain disappear.

The bible is clear that God rewards the diligent, those who put in an honest days labor. What that looks like in your life I don't know, but I think in your conscience you already have some idea. I don't know if this is something you will have to struggle with for awhile or whether you will be delivered of it quickly, but I suggest as some already have, to go into a time of prayer and fasting, seeking the will of the Lord.

God has a good plan for you, and He will start to build a foundation in your life which will lead to your prosperity and growth in Him. There is no guarantee you will never have financial or other hardships, as you are having now, but in my experience walking with God is an upward course which He will build on to prosper you. Something that really made a big difference in my life was getting involved in a local church. God has used my church and my local church community to immeasurably bless me. In my walk with Him through teaching and preaching of the word, in discipleship as others came around me to help me in my walk, in growing my gifts in the Lord and eventually ending up in ministry, in prayer and material support, in providing direction for my life, and through fellowship with other believers, some of them becoming life long friends. I highly recommend you start praying and asking God where He would want you to attend church. If you're already in a church, great; try to become more involved. Ask the Pastor about your growth in the Lord and if he could provide some direction.

God will provide you a living, that isn't the question; the question is whether you are going to do what He tells you to do. If you won't and try to do it your own way you will lose out ultimately. Doing things our own way is a 7 2 offsuit for our lives. When we do that we are literally drawing dead(death). The winning hand is walking by the Spirit, being led by Jesus Christ instead of walking in the energy of our flesh, in our own ideas and understanding. Often, what God asks us to do will be contrary to our natural understanding. That's why God says this in Proverbs 3:5-7:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and shun evil.

Hope this helps. I will be praying God will reveal His will for your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0