dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I wanted to ask about this because I have some problems here in that I tend to live in my thinking, I am not sure how else to describe it. I suppose for me thought or thinking is reality. It has been a massive problem especially times when I am far out in my thinking in postmodern ideas. The difference seems to be that others can think and talk about philosophy and yet remain anchored in reality however they understand that, either in modern or christian terms, they still believe in objective reality.

I think the problem in my case is psychological, or an underlying issue in regards spiritual destiny - not trusting God enough at the important moments maybe? Or perhaps it could be some sort of Hegelian confusion.

Just wondering if anyone understands what I am talking about?

Last edited:

94Tamara

Sep 24, 2018
Brabant
✟8,289.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I wanted to ask about this because I have some problems here in that I tend to live in my thinking, I am not sure how else to describe it. I suppose for me thought or thinking is reality. It has been a massive problem especially times when I am far out in my thinking in postmodern ideas. The difference seems to be that others can think and talk about philosophy and yet remain anchored in reality however they understand that, either in modern or christian terms, they still believe in objective reality.

I think the problem in my case is psychological, and underlying that probably spiritual - not trusting God. Or perhaps some sort of Hegelian confusion.

May I ask why you feel like having a problem trusting God, or how you came to know that fact?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My thinking was at one stage so confused I couldn't tell if what was happening was real or not. But obviously I gone through down quite a few avenues in my thinking to reach that. At one point I thought to myself "there is no reality".

Eventually I got to the point of not being able to continue or function without totally dissociating somehow from the state of mind I was in. Exactly how I did that is hard to say. So right now I don't experience that state of mind/self, but I suspect its still there 'dissociated'. I could of course dismiss that thought, any time it occurs and carry on.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
May I ask why you feel like having a problem trusting God, or how you came to know that fact?

I think trusting God, letting God be in control, is at some level a choice one can make or refuse to make, one can try to remain in control. To be trusting is not to be relying on one's thinking - not that a trusting person doesn't think, but they don't depend on themselves and their own thinking. So when quite young I got to a point where the next step seemed to be just totally cast myself onto God, no more self-reliance. This for some reason I found I couldn't do. Over the course of my life I think for fairly short periods maybe I had given God (as I understood Him) control of my life. But for some reason I seem to take back control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

94Tamara

Sep 24, 2018
Brabant
✟8,289.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think trusting God, letting God be in control, is at some level a choice one can make or refuse to make, one can try to remain in control. To be trusting is not to be relying on one's thinking - not that a trusting person doesn't think, but they don't depend on themselves and their own thinking. So when quite young I got to a point where the next step seemed to be just totally cast myself onto God, no more self-reliance. This for some reason I found I couldn't do. Over the course of my life I think for fairly short periods maybe I had given God (as I understood Him) control of my life. But for some reason I seem to take back control.

What exactly do you mean with casting yourself on God, can you give me an example?
I think rather than controlling your life, God has a plan with your life. Humans have free will and make decisions for themselves. But in the end, God will make sure His plan will come to light through the choices you make or the people you meet.

Prov 16: 9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.

I think you don't have to feel bad about feeling like you can't give yourself over. I think you have to pray to have your heart opened to understand God's will, and for Him to guide you.

About what you say about reality, I have a similar feeling sometimes. I think maybe it has to do with your spirit, which is basically locked in your body living in the physical world.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I think the problem in my case is psychological, and underlying that probably spiritual - not trusting God. Or perhaps some sort of Hegelian confusion.

I got that years ago reading Sartre as a young adult. I had a bit of a freak out. It's like seeing reality for the first time veiled in horror.

I'd just say it's a good indication you have further along to go on your journey towards enlightenment, but it's a good start. Just start with the basics, and find something that lets you stay grounded.

• Winner
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What exactly do you mean with casting yourself on God, can you give me an example?
I think rather than controlling your life, God has a plan with your life. Humans have free will and make decisions for themselves. But in the end, God will make sure His plan will come to light through the choices you make or the people you meet.

Prov 16: 9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.

I think you don't have to feel bad about feeling like you can't give yourself over. I think you have to pray to have your heart opened to understand God's will, and for Him to guide you.

About what you say about reality, I have a similar feeling sometimes. I think maybe it has to do with your spirit, which is basically locked in your body living in the physical world.

What I mean is like taking a leap, but to me it seemed very much like God was the unknown. On the one hand I knew that God sent His only Son (John 3:16) and tried to convince myself that because God gave His Son, He is therefore good, so take the leap, but yet I couldn't.

Someone who believes in God can be trusting God and His plan, or trying to enginner and control what happens, wanting to be in charge, wanting to be God.

Humans do have free will, but I still think that can be exercised while deep down one trusts / depends on God, or else one is fundamentally trusting in themselves and one's ability. That's what I stuggle with self-reliance.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Humans do have free will, but I still think that can be exercised while deep down one trusts / depends on God, or else one is fundamentally trusting in themselves and one's ability. That's what I stuggle with self-reliance.

I get self conscious like you, and have had times I knew I was semi out of touch (it was probably absences). But for me, God was always implicitly my companion even when I was disobeying Him, when my life was in a mess and so on. Thus I was "comfortable" with the idea of doing things my way, I always felt He let the ball be in my court, apart from short periods when pushy religious types "made" me superstitious. But that's just me! ;)

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0