Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing.

Yes I have felt at times, theres a certain theological control exercised in some churches, when I have brought up certain theological idea (eg. those of Martin Luther) its sometimes been asserted by someone : the finite is not capable of the infinite.

All I know is that I have always struggled with christian belief, and at times have even concluded I must be an atheist. I was quite interested when younger in theology and still read theology books. I would have read stuff like the Plan of Salvation by BB Warfield (something I've been looking over again more recently). But not sure I have ever had belief in the heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the mental health forums.

I have struggled a lot with questions about reality for several decades, including trying to think it through "philosophically" as it were, like how can I be in touch with reality. I had a very bad time some years ago when I concluded there was no reality. I am not sure if these difficulties are psychological or philosophical, maybe the philosophical questions are rooted in psychological / spiritual issues I have? One of my biggest difficulties has been to turn my will over to God. I have been to counsellors who required this for progress in the counselling. But I felt I would just be saying the words not meaning them, that they wouldn't be coming from deep down so to speak, and that i didn't really believe anymore. I have wondered too if I might be autistic. Some of these counsellors were WOF christians, at least one gave me cassettes to listen to from a WOF pastor (Andew Womack) and a book by Ulf Ekman.

My problem is philosophically related I think in that I began to embrace postmodern ideas along the way. It was really like I no longer believed John 1:1, and I had no grip on anything, so was like I had neither Christian faith nor Enlightenment / modern worldview.

How does one get back from that?

I am trying to cope at the minute, but not sure what I really believe, or if I have faith.
Faith comes by hearing the word of God, but how can one hear unless there is a preacher, and how can one preach unless he is sent of God? What this tells me is that we need to put every teaching by anyone aside and to concentrate on what the Bible actually says. A preacher who preaches the Bible verse by verse is faithful to God's Word because he preaches and teaches what is actually there instead of stuff he has dreamed up, using random verses to "prove" his teaching. Reading a good commentary is a good way of getting a better understanding of the Bible. Also asking God for guidance as you read the Bible is an excellent way of allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to you through the text.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for sharing.

Yes I have felt at times, theres a certain theological control exercised in some churches, when I have brought up certain theological idea (eg. those of Martin Luther) its sometimes been asserted by someone : the finite is not capable of the infinite.

All I know is that I have always struggled with christian belief, and at times have even concluded I must be an atheist. I was quite interested when younger in theology and still read theology books. I would have read stuff like the Plan of Salvation by BB Warfield (something I've been looking over again more recently). But not sure I have ever had belief in the heart.
I'm still trying to figure out what this post is about.

What do you mean by "objective reality"?

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Most people, in philosophy and theology, would not use "objective reality" to express what "is".
Such as, "I think, therefore I am."

In much of English usage, "objective" is apposed to "relative", or to a merely "personal opinion".

We do not talk about "objective mathematics" (which would be the correct formulas, and the correct answers
to problems. We simply talk about the "right" or "TRUE" answers or formulas.

If we want to establish our personal opinions or beliefs as TRUE, then we need to
go through a careful examination as to whether the belief/opinion matches
"our shared reality" (those are my words).

Most philosophers would find the wording "global truths" more explanatory, than
"objective truth".

In your wording, do you believe that there is an objective God?
And, how would you establish that your belief in an objective
God, matches our shared reality?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because I tend to approach Christianity through the various theologies out there, I tend to feel at odds a times with others in the church who haven't read what I have read, eg. Moltmann, Barth etc. But i don't know, probably this why of approaching christianity is part of the problem.

Upvote 0