http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I've only just discovered that this forums exists (and it's great!) but I always wanted to ask whether other vegetarians had the same problems with non-vegetarian friends, or just other people in general, and how they view your diet. Do other people keep making comments like 'All veggies are just fussy eaters', or similar comments? If so, how do you deal with it? Because it happens to me from time to time, and I find myself getting quite angry about it- I mean, I try and explain that my reasons for being vegetarian have nothing to do with how much/little I enjoy meat, but I never seem to be able to get my point across- they just stick to their views. Am I just being really oversensitive?
On the other hand, I don't tend to mind when some of my friends eat meat or fish around me. It does smell a bit, but I can accept that they have the right to eat what they want where they want. But some of them feel really guilty about it and apologise all the time! In the same way, if someone who doesn't know I'm vegetarian offers me, say, a sausage, and I say 'No thanks, I'm a vegetarian', they get really embaressed and apologise, but I really don't mind, especially if they don't know about my diet! What does everyone else think about people eating meat near them?

I

InTheFlame

Pogue said:
I've only just discovered that this forums exists (and it's great!) but I always wanted to ask whether other vegetarians had the same problems with non-vegetarian friends, or just other people in general, and how they view your diet. Do other people keep making comments like 'All veggies are just fussy eaters', or similar comments? If so, how do you deal with it? Because it happens to me from time to time, and I find myself getting quite angry about it- I mean, I try and explain that my reasons for being vegetarian have nothing to do with how much/little I enjoy meat, but I never seem to be able to get my point across- they just stick to their views. Am I just being really oversensitive?
I try to make good-humoured comebacks, like, "Oh, and rednecks who'll only eat meat and potatoes aren't? Bet I eat more foods than most of western queensland put together... :D"

I find that gently challenging people's opinions does one of three things... it either gets them thinking about their views, shuts them up because they don't enjoy getting what they give out... or turns into a respectful discussion about the whys and hows of vegetarian life. Maybe because I don't put up with rudeness or aggressive debate - either talk to me politely or I'll turn away and talk to someone else.
Pogue said:
On the other hand, I don't tend to mind when some of my friends eat meat or fish around me. It does smell a bit, but I can accept that they have the right to eat what they want where they want. But some of them feel really guilty about it and apologise all the time! In the same way, if someone who doesn't know I'm vegetarian offers me, say, a sausage, and I say 'No thanks, I'm a vegetarian', they get really embaressed and apologise, but I really don't mind, especially if they don't know about my diet! What does everyone else think about people eating meat near them?
It's nice that they're being considerate. I don't mind too much, generally... although being pregnant atm my stomach is a fair bit more sensitive to smells. Sausages are the worst offenders, I find... generally the low-quality stuff really seems to STINK. Yuck. Oh, and tuna :sick: But I don't stress unless it's making me feel ill, in which case I'll try to move without being obvious about it.

Upvote 0

Ruth~

Legend
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
✟67,483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
Some of the comments my family has made have bothered me but I just tried to tell them my take on what they said. Like my mother once said "I want some REAL" food. I told her what I eat is real food just different. I am happy the way I eat and wish more people would become vegetarians but I can't make them. It saddens me at times but I try not to dwell on it forever or I get depressed. I was happy that my dad ate some vegetarian food, as well as meat.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If people comment about your eating habits, I would honestly tell them its none of their business. No one really has the right to say anything. Its your choice not theirs. I can imagine it coming from family probably hurts more than anything though...

But I do have a suggestion from a semi-veggie (occasional meat eater) in regards to dealing with those of us who do eat (at least some meat)

I have noticed that some (please notice I said some not all) vegans and full vegetarians have a better than you attitude when it comes to them being vegan or vegetarian. I do not make any comments to people about their eating habits but people have personally commented on my current decision to eat some meat. I also tend to think its a bit rude to make a face because someone is eating meat and "it smells".

I am not in anyway trying to bash anyone here, but a little understanding from both sides may be in order.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll get a few light-hearted jokes from my friends, both in and out of the church. But no, I don't experience any diet-related social issues. In fact, my fellow Christians from church are especially accomodating in regards to our various get togethers that involve food.

Upvote 0

Ruth~

Legend
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
✟67,483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
If people comment about your eating habits, I would honestly tell them its none of their business. No one really has the right to say anything. Its your choice not theirs. I can imagine it coming from family probably hurts more than anything though...

But I do have a suggestion from a semi-veggie (occasional meat eater) in regards to dealing with those of us who do eat (at least some meat)

I have noticed that some (please notice I said some not all) vegans and full vegetarians have a better than you attitude when it comes to them being vegan or vegetarian. I do not make any comments to people about their eating habits but people have personally commented on my current decision to eat some meat. I also tend to think its a bit rude to make a face because someone is eating meat and "it smells".

I am not in anyway trying to bash anyone here, but a little understanding from both sides may be in order.
I am one vegetarian that does not have a "better than thou" attitude towards those who eat meat. I ate it for many years so how can I look down on anyone when I was a meat eater at one time.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am one vegetarian that does not have a "better than thou" attitude towards those who eat meat. I ate it for many years so how can I look down on anyone when I was a meat eater at one time.

I've been a vegetarian for my entire life, but I also do not have this attitude. It would be wrong for any vegetarian to feel a greater sense of holiness, since vegetarianism isn't morally superior. Also, the Bible tells us not to allow anyone to pass judgment on us in questions of food or drink.

Upvote 0

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never experienced any sort of oppression for being a vegetarian. I don't lecture meat-eaters either.

Once though, my friend Sonny went to a movie set here in Nashville where River Phoenix was filming a movie. Sonny decided to give River a hard time and asked him something about if River's vegetarianism made him weak or something like that. River said "I could kick your ass." I also remember Sonny saying he wouldn't become a vegetarian because he was afraid it would make his farts smell like a wicker chair.

Does that count?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sometimes I find vegetarians almost as intollerable as pro-meat people and some vegans just think they are better then everyone else... In short I doubt diet actually depicts one how much someone will pick on your diet.

Also I can't say I have heard of vegetarians being picked on, more then people being influenced by silly TV advertisements (such as the pro meat and pro milk ones).

Some of the comments my family has made have bothered me but I just tried to tell them my take on what they said. Like my mother once said "I want some REAL" food. I told her what I eat is real food just different. I am happy the way I eat and wish more people would become vegetarians but I can't make them. It saddens me at times but I try not to dwell on it forever or I get depressed. I was happy that my dad ate some vegetarian food, as well as meat.
*hugs*

Upvote 0