Philadelphia
✟671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
I try to be kind to everyone, even when they don't speak kindly to me. But the toughest thing is to speak with non-believers because as soon as I mention God or Jesus, they no longer want to speak. That's not what they want to hear, but as it is a huge part of my life, it's mostly what I talk about. And so I'm finding it difficult to make friends and find a romantic partner because of this. Now I don't want a non-believer as a romantic partner anyway, so that doesn't really matter. But it's so difficult to find faithful people. People who actually know the Bible and live by Biblical principles. The same thing goes for friends. And I'm not sure where to look, so all I feel like I can do is trust God that the right people will cross my path at the right time. Any advice is welcome. Thanks for listening, my fellow believers. May God bring you blessings and joy.

• Prayers
Reactions: Pop D.

Pop D.

Sep 23, 2020
Oklahoma
✟163,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bringing up spiritual matters to people who aren't going to be receptive is probably a bad idea-Jesus did warn us about casting our pearls before swine. Continuing to trust the Lord's timing for bringing the right people people into your life is probably for the best, assuming you can't find a decent church in your area.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Religion and politics can be contentious subjects. Why would a stranger engage in topics which might cause upset? While you may enjoy discussing it they're not required to participate. Discourse isn't one-sided. If you've noticed a pattern in reception why do you persist? You're making things hard for yourself and lamenting the lack of connections when the solution is simple. Stop.

When you're developing an acquaintance it's best to start with general topics and listen for common denominators. You can open with a compliment or a question. Listening is important. You need to pay attention to their response and observe their body language. If a topic makes them uncomfortable change the subject don't keep going.

And I wouldn't assume you'll have carte blanche with believers. They'll have boundaries too which should be respected. If you work on your communication skills you'll have more opportunities for engagement and may develop a few bonds. Don't try too hard. Everyone won't reciprocate or want to be friends and that's okay.

You can find Christian books on how to make friends and continue to pray.

~bella

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You didn't mention whether you attend church. If you don't, then find one and begin going regularly. Church is comprised of believers and people who can become your friends. Attend Sunday School, go to Bible studies, check out various local church websites that list coming events. We're not to be of the world, and while we ARE supposed to spread the Gospel, we should spend our quality time among believers.

When you meet people or strike up a discussion, listen to what the other person is saying. You should be able to tell a believer by the way he/she acts and lives their life, though it can be difficult sometimes. But clearly, the place to start is among other Christians. And while it's wonderful that God and Jesus are the biggest part of your life, there are other topics to discuss to sound out acquaintances. Ask what kind of music they like, what they do in their spare time, hobbies, etc. Don't jump right into religion. Unfortunately that's a big turnoff for most people. And even if it isn't a turnoff, people don't want to listen to it every minute if a conversation.

I hope you find some places where you can meet other Christians and form friendships.

Upvote 0