Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was wondering if anybody has ever been or is part of a Peace Church. Why is it that the holiness and pentocostal movement started here and now many in the holiness/pentecostal movement support war, specifically this premptive war in Iraq. How do Christians who are part of the Peace Churches take part in society and fell about the politics in America and around the world

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I was wondering if anybody has ever been or is part of a Peace Church. Why is it that the holiness and pentocostal movement started here and now many in the holiness/pentecostal movement support war, specifically this premptive war in Iraq. How do Christians who are part of the Peace Churches take part in society and fell about the politics in America and around the world
I am not a theist and not a Christian. I am not a member of a "Peace Church". I´m not American. I don´t even know what makes a "Peace Church".
If people advocate, promote and practice peace that´s fine with me, no matter whether they are theists/Christians or not.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I am not a theist and not a Christian. I am not a member of a "Peace Church". I´m not American. I don´t even know what makes a "Peace Church".
If people advocate, promote and practice peace that´s fine with me, no matter whether they are theists/Christians or not.

My thoughts exactly (except I am American).

I don't get how Christians of any denomination, or none, can support war. Until Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, it was fundamentally 100% pacifist. For the sake of historical authenticity, I'd prefer if so-called Christians who support war were referred to as Constantinians, after the true founder of their violent religion.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would agree with calling them Constanians, the problem is they don't even know who they truly worship.

And who pray tell might that be? (that they are worshiping) I mean, as long as we want to redefine people's religions for them, lets get to some specifics here.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And who pray tell might that be? (that they are worshiping) I mean, as long as we want to redefine people's religions for them, lets get to some specifics here.

An angry God, but it is not the Jesus I know of a violent God but the God I worship is one who layed down his life and refused to take the life or do harm to those who mocked, beat, and killed him. He stretched his hand out to them in love. He told his disciple to put away his sword, Christians should heed the command of Jesus to put away the sword.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
An angry God, but it is not the Jesus I know of a violent God but the God I worship is one who layed down his life and refused to take the life or do harm to those who mocked, beat, and killed him. He stretched his hand out to them in love. He told his disciple to put away his sword, Christians should heed the command of Jesus to put away the sword.

Did not the same Jesus say he came not to bring peace, but the sword and that he would turn father against son?

I rather dislike the simplistic versions of Christianity, either pacifist or warlike. Both seem a childs view to me.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did not the same Jesus say he came not to bring peace, but the sword and that he would turn father against son?

I rather dislike the simplistic versions of Christianity, either pacifist or warlike. Both seem a childs view to me.

The sword is division, doesn't mean violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When Christ met the Roman Centurion He did not tell him to turn away from the labor of being a soldier.

Soldiering and Christianity are not things that can simply be equated as opposite of one another and though Christendom should always work for peace and never for aggression, I think that turning Christianity into a political campaign (whether left or right) is inappropriate.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When Christ met the Roman Centurion He did not tell him to turn away from the labor of being a soldier.

Soldiering and Christianity are not things that can simply be equated as opposite of one another and though Christendom should always work for peace and never for aggression, I think that turning Christianity into a political campaign (whether left or right) is inappropriate.

My faith informs my politics not the other way around, so yeah it will be part of it.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The sword is division, doesn't mean violence.

Let's see, scripture uses other symbols for division which are much harder to confuse. Why pick the sword which is not an obvious symbol of dividing and is an obvious symbol of comflict?

Unless of course it does symbolize conflict.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
From here:

Quakers believe that war and conflict are against God's wishes and so they are dedicated to pacifism and non-violence. And from a practical point of view they think that force nearly always creates more problems than it solves.
We utterly deny all outward wars and strife and fightings with outward weapons, for any end or under any pretence whatsoever, and this is our testimony to the whole world. Quaker statement to King Charles II, 1660​
A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it. William Penn, 1693​
War, in our view, involves the surrender of the Christian ideal and the denial of human brotherhood. London Yearly Meeting, 1916​
Christ demands of us that we adhere, without swerving, to the methods of love, and therefore, if a seeming conflict should arise between the claims of His service and those of the State, it is to Christ that our supreme loyalty must be given, whatever the consequences. London Yearly Meeting, 1915​
Many conscientious objectors (those who refuse to join the armed forces) are Quakers, but Quaker pacifism is not simply the refusal to fight, it includes working actively to bring about or preserve peace, by removing the causes of conflict.
Quakers, like other pacifists, are sometimes accused of being willing to give in to evil regimes rather than fight against them. They disagree, and say that they fight by non-violent means.
All forms of non-violent resistance are certainly much better than appeasement, which has come to mean the avoidance of violence by a surrender to injustice at the expense of the sufferings of others and not of one's self, by the giving away of something that is not ours to give. Kathleen Lonsdale, 1953​
Quakers are not just opposed to war, but to all forms of violence. George Fox was personally opposed to the use of violence. He refused to defend himself when he was attacked and often, when the violence was over, had kind words or actions for his attackers.

Reactions: David Brider
Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a Quaker (as well as a Priest, yes, you can be both.) Quakers are pacifists because we see that of God in all humans.

Well, I'm a Saint, Priest, and a Born-again Individual. That makes me a saved, sanctified, chosen, Christian ----- part of the Body of CHRIST --- HIS CHURCH.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's see, scripture uses other symbols for division which are much harder to confuse. Why pick the sword which is not an obvious symbol of dividing and is an obvious symbol of comflict?

Unless of course it does symbolize conflict.

a sword, refering to the dividing or conflict between a family that would naturally occur when someone follows Christ, has nothing to do with violence against one another.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens

I've often thought of becoming a Quaker, precisely because of their pacifist stance, which pretty much matches my own. Thanks for posting that information.

David.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If I were ever to become a Christian, I'd be very attracted to the Quakers. I like their non-doctrinaire concept of the "Inner Light." That each person finds his own God within himself. And the Quakers have always been at the forefront of progressive social change.

I admire the Amish, too. I'd have an impossible time dealing with their insularity, but they really, truly live non-violence.

Upvote 0