Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Russia is ready to negotiate with all parties involved in the war in Ukraine but Kyiv and its Western backers have refused to engage in talks, President Vladimir Putin has said in an interview that aired on Sunday.

Russia's 24 February invasion of Ukraine has triggered the most deadly conflict in Europe since World War Two and the biggest confrontation between Moscow and the West since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.

There is, so far, little end in sight to the war.

The Kremlin has previously said it would fight until all its aims were achieved while Kyiv said it will not rest until every Russian soldier is ejected from its territory, including Crimea which Russia annexed in 2014.

"We are ready to negotiate with everyone involved about acceptable solutions, but that is up to them - we are not the ones refusing to negotiate, they are," Putin told state television Rossiya 1.

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that Ukraine and its Western backers, particularly the USA, don't want to negotiate with Putin. I think they want him out.

I don't think they trust him.

If he goes, I think negotiations might be on the table. Although in the cut throat world of Russian politics, with the FSB, the oligarchs and the Russian mafia as major players, it's difficult to know who would take his place and if the replacement would be any better.

That's my opinion anyway. I think they've had enough of him.

That's not to say the West has always been above board in it's dealings either.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I suspect that Ukraine and its Western backers, particularly the USA, don't want to negotiate with Putin. I think they want him out.

I don't think they trust him.

If he goes, I think negotiations might be on the table. Although in the cut throat world of Russian politics, with the FSB, the oligarchs and the Russian mafia as major players, it's difficult to know who would take his place and if the replacement would be any better.

That's my opinion anyway. I think they've had enough of him.

That's not to say the West has always been above board in it's dealings either.
It's almost a MONTH since Vlad said he wanted to negotiate. Looks like it isn't happening. In the mean time the war has dropped off the radar of most Americans while new armaments are sent to Ukraine AND the big armaments dealers have never had it so good. And they all tell me over and over again they don't believe we are on the eve of destruction.

Queue the song 'Eve of Destruction'.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect to Ukraine, I can't see Russia giving up its claims to that territory.

I think the war will go on till both sides are prepared to compromise. It might be an uneasy compromise, but that would be better than the war.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect to Ukraine, I can't see Russia giving up its claims to that territory.

I think the war will go on till both sides are prepared to compromise. It might be an uneasy compromise, but that would be better than the war.

Putin will never do this. Trust me.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the key here is Putin's use of the term "acceptable solutions." Putin has made it clear that the only "acceptable solutions" include Russia retaining the areas of Ukraine they have "annexed," which included the Donbass that the Russian government claims to have annexed last year. Based on this, I agree with Zelenskiy, that Russia isn't wanting to "negotiate." Russia wants Ukraine to accept Russias terms for an end to the conflict, not a negotiation. An actual negotiation requires looking at solutions that are less than "acceptable."

Upvote 0