Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
With no direction for their services, I can only imagine that sitting around for an hour or two without a preacher can be a bit of a strain. Certainly not for me.
An unprogrammed service isn't for everyone, but for those who feel called to it, it can actually be quite inspiring. I rather enjoy sitting in silence, waiting on God. I've been to other churches, such as Pentecostal, and while the atmosphere can be a nice incentive for some, I personally found it to be more about show than anything else. I like that Friends recognize the priesthood of each individual, and allow them to excersize that calling at God's discretion, if you will.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, I'm a Saint, Priest, and a Born-again Individual. That makes me a saved, sanctified, chosen, Christian ----- part of the Body of CHRIST --- HIS CHURCH.

"My church is better than your church! Ner, ner, ner!"

Seriously, LittleNipper, I expected better - someone just politely described their religious affiliation, and you used it as an opportunity to tell everyone you're a saint? Wasn't pride a sin the last time I looked?

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
An unprogrammed service isn't for everyone, but for those who feel called to it, it can actually be quite inspiring. I rather enjoy sitting in silence, waiting on God. I've been to other churches, such as Pentecostal, and while the atmosphere can be a nice incentive for some, I personally found it to be more about show than anything else. I like that Friends recognize the priesthood of each individual, and allow them to excersize that calling at God's discretion, if you will.

The church that I'm part of at the moment is very much into loud and lively music and a 40-minute sermon, but I often find myself wanting to spend time being peaceful and alone with God.

But I suspect if I went to a Quaker service I'd soon be missing the music! C'est la vie.

But the idea of the Quakers in general holds a great deal of appeal for me.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I'm a Saint, Priest, and a Born-again Individual. That makes me a saved, sanctified, chosen, Christian ----- part of the Body of CHRIST --- HIS CHURCH.

In the middle east that talk would be considered blasphemous, and probably get your hands and tongue chopped off. Food for thought, don't you consider pride a sin? How presumptuous of you.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was wondering if anybody has ever been or is part of a Peace Church.
Of course.
Why is it that the holiness and pentocostal movement started here and now many in the holiness/pentecostal movement support war, specifically this premptive war in Iraq.
Don't know about those specifically. Just heard a few years ago, that many churches are against war ,
until the country goes to war,
then because of power and money they decide war is okay this time.
How do Christians who are part of the Peace Churches take part in society and feel about the politics in America and around the world
We are in the world and not of the world.
Even when we bring peace or comfort to someone or heal someone, the world hates us, the same as it hated JESUS.
The politics in America and around the world
is happening exactly as JESUS said it would. < shrugs >
We pray for wisdom and strength to endure to the end,
as JESUS said to.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,200,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Peter, Paul, and James were what, 1900 some years ago! :)

You may as well ask their opinion too as you're going to get a similar response, none. The OP has been inactive for the better part of two years.

Upvote 0