Not open for further replies.

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know if I would define any of this the way you are. Progressivism, the belief that government is the foundation of truth and its power is the real agent of social change and welfare is anout as anti-Christ as you can get.

I'm pretty sure you are describing the Declaration of Independence. A Government based on the Will of the People.

Progressives do not create institutions they take over over institutions as we see with mainline denominations.

Progressives are more like the vanguard of social transformation and conservatives make up the rearguard, which is why conservatives today echo the beliefs of progressives from 10 or 20 years ago. I think scapegoating progressives just makes us feel better, when we are all really part of the same progressive democratic order.

In 10 or 20 more years there will probably be a 'conservative case' for transgendering youth.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Progressives are more like the vanguard of social transformation and conservatives make up the rearguard,
Social denigration maybe! Conservatives are the only hope we have politically speaking for the survival of this nation as founded.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where Liberal Democracy goes, so does Protestantism, which means the church community has no choice but to accept things like mass inappropriate contentography and the promotion of homosexuality...
There are churches that accept inappropriate contentography?? None that I've been to ...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are churches that accept inappropriate contentography?? None that I've been to ...

I could, of course, be extrapolating poorly, but my gut instinct is that the OP has romantic notions of an authoritarian monarchic state that enforces their own personal moral ideas upon the populace. Because freedom bad as it leads to things like gay people coming out openly. You know, like the good ol' days before the democracy boogeyman came on the scene, when people were the property of the land-owning elite and weren't allowed any kind of social upward mobility. You were born on the farm, and by gum, you'll die on that farm, peasants are peasants for a reason.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Social denigration maybe! Conservatives are the only hope we have politically speaking for the survival of this nation as founded.

*Raises hand*, yes, what if some of us find that a lot of modern American conservatism to be, let's say, morally and spiritually deficient? For example, what if some of us think that the survival of our society would do better if we improved the living conditions of the people who live here. For example, access to universal healthcare and the right to equal opportunity through equity programs, and being able to earn a living wage. Or, say, we think that shifting our focus away from fossil fuels to renewable forms of energy, and enacting programs that help alleviate suffering are a generally good idea? What if we are critical of the lack of accountability among law enforcement and would like to see acts of reform to hold corrupt people in positions of power accountable.

Are those of us with such views the bad guys?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sure Christians can and do disagree on many things. I said: . 8. Using climate change as a fear tactic to gain power and financial wealth. This comment is clearly directed at the way our government leaders are manipulating the issue for political power and reliving the citizens of their freedoms, money and the ability to live their lives as our constitutional rights allow. People believe what they want to believe and anyone who chooses to believe we are all going to die in global catastrophe can certainly do that. Those who believe they are saving the planet by giving up their life styles , money and freedoms certainly can do that . My personal belief on this is simple, I’ve read the end of the book and we are all not going to die by melting ice caps or any other contrived fear mongering fiction. It is not within my pay grade to judge whether anyone is a Christian or not but I believe as a Christian I can point out things that do not line up with scripture. All of that said we should be good stewards and yes the planet is changing just as climate has changed in the past without man’s help. Man will not destroy this earth God will do that in His own timing and then restore it the way it was intended to be. It’s all laid out in the scriptures we would do well to believe what God has declared. God is far wiser than Al Gore.

I think climate change is a legitimate concern. But not because I think we're all going to die from melting ice caps, or that climate change is going to result in the end of the world. But because I would like to see the future generations of human beings be able to enjoy God's good creation the way I've enjoyed it. I would like to avoid unnecessary damage to the lives of our children and grandchildren. When I listen to people who legitimately study the science, and listen to people who seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, I don't see fear mongering or attempts to curb individual liberty. I see people calling for changes which hold people in positions of power to be accountable. And I don't view this as a bad thing.

I've also read the end of the Book. And it says that God will hold all of us accountable for how we lived our lives. There will be a Final Judgment before the Throne and the books will be opened. The Lamb who sits upon the Throne shall come and tread the winepress of the wrath of God against all nations.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Where as I think that Democrats and Liberals are our only hope as I see conservatives tearing down this country.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Churches don't necessarily approve of it, but they basically venerate a social order where their children will more or less be inundated by inappropriate contentography as they grow up, among other things. Mass inappropriate contentography (and now the public promotion of transgender children) is viewed as an acceptable cost of sacred democracy and human liberty.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Churches don't necessarily approve of it, but they basically venerate a social order where their children will more or less be inundated by inappropriate contentography as they grow up, among other things. Mass inappropriate contentography (and now the public promotion of transgender children) is viewed as an acceptable cost of sacred democracy and human liberty.

Let's pretend for a moment that you got your way, and society was suddenly restructured according to how you believe it should be.

What does that society look like, what are that society's laws? What form of government does such a society have? And what happens to people whose views don't match your own?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
, what if some of us find that a lot of modern American conservatism to be, let's say, morally and spiritually deficient?
I would be curious to hear how that belief can be supported from a scriptural perspective. I do not doubt that is the case with many. I also realize human nature allows one to justify and rationalize any belief one holds. Look at just one issue which is mostly divided along liberal and conservative lines. What is the moral deficiency in the conservative position on abortion? From a scriptural perspective of course, since the Bible is the handbook for morality for the Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where as I think that Democrats and Liberals are our only hope as I see conservatives tearing down this country.
Currently conservatives are not in control of nor responsible for the mess we are in . Time will tell which is the philosophy of hope, change and benefit to this nation.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I listen to people who legitimately study the science, and listen to people who seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, I don't see fear mongering or attempts to curb individual liberty. I see people calling for changes which hold people in positions of power to be accountable. And I don't view this as a bad thing.
I too listen to people who legitimately study the science.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
what happens to people whose views don't match your own?

do you believe you currently inhabit a society where people are not penalized or punished for having views oppositional to the ruling political ideology?

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's pretend for a moment that you got your way, and society was suddenly restructured according to how you believe it should be.

What does that society look like, what are that society's laws? What form of government does such a society have? And what happens to people whose views don't match your own?

-CryptoLutheran
The problem here is not that people disagree on societal norms. The problem is the way many liberal leaders try to force those beliefs on the nation outside of constitutionally provided methods. Using agencies with unelected bureaucrats to enforce rules and regulations not put in place by Congress is just one back door method. Using liberal judges to strike down laws enacted by due process of legislators is another. There is even a process to change the constitution if enough people see fit but liberals often try to circumvent most legitimate legislative remedies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Currently conservatives are not in control of nor responsible for the mess we are in . Time will tell which is the philosophy of hope, change and benefit to this nation.

You are right, they aren't in control right now, but I believe that they are at least partly responsible for the mess that we're in and continue to not address current issues. Many are stuck in 2020 on a lie about the election haven been stolen.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many are stuck in 2020 on a lie about the election haven been stolen.
You mean something like when
many liberals thought the election was stolen from them in 2016 , oh yeah then there was that Bush, Gore thing. Be careful what you call a lie!

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean something like when
many liberals thought the election was stolen from them in 2016 , oh yeah then there was that Bush, Gore thing. Be careful what you call a lie!

Did Democrats question it? They sure did! Did they end up conceding? Yep, they did that too. Democrats never took it to the lengths that Republicans have and continue to do. And yes, it's a lie. The election was fair and Biden won fairly no matter what the other guy has said.

I will only mention January 6, 2021. No need to explain that one.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would be curious to hear how that belief can be supported from a scriptural perspective.
Looking through the scriptural lens of Matthew 25:33-46, I am unable to match up ANY Conservative political platfrom or enacted legislation from the past 50 years that even remotely aligns with the actions of the folks Jesus places on His right hand, yet I can find a plethora of conservative political platforms and enacted legislation that perfectly align with the actions of those Jesus places on His Left....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would be curious to hear how that belief can be supported from a scriptural perspective. I do not doubt that is the case with many. I also realize human nature allows one to justify and rationalize any belief one holds. Look at just one issue which is mostly divided along liberal and conservative lines. What is the moral deficiency in the conservative position on abortion? From a scriptural perspective of course, since the Bible is the handbook for morality for the Christian.

How about this, I'm going to say I agree that abortion is wrong and that we should defend the right to life of unborn babies. Let's move beyond that singular issue and address other issues.

How about this, what should a Christian believe as it pertains to how we should treat the problem of homelessness, how should we as a society respond to homelessness from a Christian perspective? Should we support housing programs, equity programs, and opportunity programs and fund them through public funding (aka taxes), or is that morally wrong? Which is Christian morality: Social responsibility for the poor and hungry and welfare for those struggling to help the most vulnerable? Or...? What would be the alternative and Christian moral position in regard to the poor, hungry, and homeless in our midst?

Because, biblically, God seems very concerned with the poor, the hungry, the widow, and the orphan. So much so that He says He destroyed Sodom because of the mistreatment of the needy. So much so that He says it throughout the Proverbs, and throughout the writings of the Prophets. So much so that Jesus says that how we treat the most vulnerable is the basis for how we shall be judged when we stand before Him on the Last Day. So what would a Christian, biblically moral position be vis-a-vis the vulnerable, the poor, the needy in our society and our social responsibility toward them if not using resources available to us to alleviate suffering and bring equity and opportunity to those without?

What biblical support is there for not supporting public programs of social uplift and promoting welfare for the least of these? This is a genuine question, and I'm hoping to receive a genuine answer.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.