TrueLuv: Jesus died-4-U Knowing you may not care
Feb 25, 2016
Missionary
✟2,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2016/06/18/pastor-harassed-over-sign-supporting-muslims/86051478/

I really believe this is uncalled for, and that people should have the freedom to show goodwill towards others.
He's errant in the direction he decided to take his church when entrusted as the Shepherd of God's flock. The church should take him into counsel and explain how this was wrong. He shouldn't be harassed. He should be loved and counseled as to the wrong of this.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So after being "harassed", the pastor decides it's ok to go to the media and put the guy who had an issue with it on blast? Decides to "take his brother before the court" and preach a wishy washy Christian message to the public, to make Christians like myself and others who disagree with doing such things look like people who are out of touch with times?

From the article, "The phobia is Islamophobia," he said.

It's not Islamophobia to believe that wishing someone a blessed Ramadan is wrong. Blessed is a holy word, and saying that they should have a blessed Ramadan is saying that you think what they're doing is a good work towards God, that their holiday is blessed. Not only that, but it also implies you're o.k. with their souls worshiping God in the manner they do, instead of coming to Christ.
It's all wishy washy, leftist 21st century crap. I'm not saying the man was in the right to do the things he did in the manner he did, but the pastor was more in the wrong for the things he did. He has a responsibility. I've seen two churches in my area with the same message, and I was going to go to one of the churches until I saw that message outside on their sign.

Reactions: Circle Christ
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He's errant in the direction he decided to take his church when entrusted as the Shepherd of God's flock. The church should take him into counsel and explain how this was wrong. He shouldn't be harassed. He should be loved and counseled as to the wrong of this.
Could you explain to us here what's wrong about it?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Could you explain to us here what's wrong about it?
From Wikipedia: According to Islam, the Quran was sent down to the lowest heaven during this month, thus being prepared for gradual revelation by Jibreel (Gabriel) to the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Therefore, Muhammad told his followers that the gates of Heaven would be open for the entire month and the gates of Hell (Jahannam) would be closed.[1]

That's the reason they fast. To wish them a blessed "fast" is saying you hope they have a great religious experience in relation to the reason they are fasting for.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From Wikipedia: According to Islam, the Quran was sent down to the lowest heaven during this month, thus being prepared for gradual revelation by Jibreel (Gabriel) to the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Therefore, Muhammad told his followers that the gates of Heaven would be open for the entire month and the gates of Hell (Jahannam) would be closed.[1]

That's the reason they fast. To wish them a blessed "fast" is saying you hope they have a great religious experience in relation to the reason they are fasting for.
Do you expect non Christians to wish you a "Merry Christmas"?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Do you expect non Christians to wish you a "Merry Christmas"?
Christmas is considered by many to be a secular holiday. I don't expect them to wish me a "Merry Christ's birth day", no, if they aren't Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christmas is considered by many to be a secular holiday. I don't expect them to wish me a "Merry Christ's birth day", no, if they aren't Christian.
Nice dodge. I assume you see now where your thesis is wrong.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nice dodge. I assume you see now where your thesis is wrong.
Dodge? lol.

I gave you my answer. If you meant wish me a Merry Christmas in the sense that they were wishing me a merry and blessed Christian holiday, than no, I wouldn't expect non-Christians to do so. If they did, being a Christian however I would take it as a good thing, because Christ's day truly is blessed in my opinion. I believe many experience the blessing of a Christian holiday if they participate in such, which is the reason why so many secular people are drawn to Christmas. It truly is blessed. But do I expect them to say Merry Christmas if they aren't Christian? No.
(also not going to get into a debate with those who don't celebrate Christmas or believe it to be a pagan holiday, i know the facts from both sides).

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dodge? lol.

I gave you my answer. If you meant wish me a Merry Christmas in the sense that they were wishing me a merry and blessed Christian holiday, than no, I wouldn't expect non-Christians to do so. If they did, being a Christian however I would take it as a good thing, because Christ's day truly is blessed in my opinion. I believe many experience the blessing of a Christian holiday if they participate in such, which is the reason why so many secular people are drawn to Christmas. It truly is blessed. But do I expect them to say Merry Christmas if they aren't Christian? No.
(also not going to get into a debate with those who don't celebrate Christmas or believe it to be a pagan holiday, i know the facts from both sides).
Let's try this again.

If a Muslim wished you a "Merry Christmas", how would you take it?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Let's try this again.

If a Muslim wished you a "Merry Christmas", how would you take it?
I'd consider it good no matter way he meant it, because I believe they are participating in the blessed day that is Christ's birth. I believe it truly is a blessed 2 days of the year and a blessed season. I believe when secular/non-Christian people participate in Christmas, they too are sharing in the blessing of the season so their "Merry Christmas's" are just as valid as a Christians.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed, but he had it coming i.m.o.

Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd consider it good no matter way he meant it, because I believe they are participating in the blessed day that is Christ's birth. I believe it truly is a blessed 2 days of the year and a blessed season. I believe when secular/non-Christian people participate in Christmas, they too are sharing in the blessing of the season so their "Merry Christmas's" are just as valid as a Christians.
That's a start. OK, reverse the argument, and you're almost there.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's a start. OK, reverse the argument, and you're almost there.
As a Christian, I don't believe Ramadan is blessed. It's not just a typical fast, the fast has certain reasons behind it, that's the reason they fast. To wish them a Blessed Ramadan is to say "I hope your religious time is blessed by God" - which I see as the wrong thing to say, as their reasons for fasting aren't good ones, let alone holy ones.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian, I don't believe Ramadan is blessed. It's not just a typical fast, the fast has certain reasons behind it, that's the reason they fast. To wish them a Blessed Ramadan is to say "I hope your religious time is blessed by God" - which I see as the wrong thing to say, as their reasons for fasting aren't good ones, let alone holy ones.
As somone said earlier, "Hostility doesn't win souls.". You don't have to believe in their festival to wish them well with it.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As somone said earlier, "Hostility doesn't win souls.". You don't have to believe in their festival to wish them well with it.
I don't see it as hostile to not wish them a Happy Ramadan, I hope they come to Christ and have blessed religious holidays in Christ, not in worshiping the Islamic God and doing his festivals.

I hope they draw closer to God each day, just not in the ways they do. Support their hearts, but not their festivals.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see it as hostile to not wish them a Happy Ramadan, I hope they come to Christ and have blessed religious holidays in Christ, not in worshiping the Islamic God and doing his festivals.

I hope they draw closer to God each day, just not in the ways they do. Support their hearts, but not their festivals.
Ugh. I tried. Last attempt. I'll just say "Good Samaritan", and leave it at that.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0