Panentheism

Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have been reading about the orthodox view on Pan-entheism. What I have read here in the link I posted and on other sites I understand and believe. I also read many OT, NT, and early church Father quotes to support this belief:

newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Panentheism

"While mainstream Christianity is considered to be monotheistic, there are also some Christian groups who emphasize the panentheistic dimension of God. For example, the Eastern Orthodox Church now uses the word "panentheism" to describe the personal activity of God, or hypostasis, in the world. For the Orthodox, God is not a detached creator (as in deism), nor is he the "magician" who occasionally performs miracles, as in many conceptions of theism. Instead, God's presence is considered necessary not only for the initial creation, but also for the continued existence of every aspect of that creation. God's energies maintain all things, even if those beings have explicitly rejected God, as withdrawal of God's presence would usurp the totality of existence. By this token, the entirety of creation is sanctified, and thus evil is denied as a property of creation. This conception is panentheistic, although it has an ontological cleavage between God and creation, as is standard in Christianity. The world is embedded in God's will but not God’s essence (ousia). Creation, then, is not a "part of" God as it would be in other panentheistic systems, and the Godhead is still distinct from creation. However, God is "within" all creation on a relational and personal level rather than an ontological one. Thus Orthodox theologians separate the word as "pan-entheism," stressing God's indwelling in all things, rather than "panen-theism," which focuses on the idea that all things are a part of God, yet God is more than the sum of all things."

My question is that there appears to be varying panentheisitic views. I have read a christian panentheistic definition that asserts " We depend on God and God depends on us". Do the Orthodox believe that "God depends on us" or is what I highlighted in green the distinction between the Orthodox understanding and other definitions of panentheism?

Finally after this post I will have 50 posts and be able to provide a link.

Thanks.

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If God is infinite and the universe is finite, then the universe must be "within" God. Michio Kaku (ironically, an atheist) wrote a book called Hyperspace that, quite unintentionally, described God's "physical" relationship with the universe from a purely scientific POV.

He claimed that Einstein's theory of general relativity worked with no need for quantum theory if you assumed 10 dimensions. At the big bang, it split into the 3Ds we inhabit and the other 7 expanded infinitely and contracted infinitesimally to both contain the universe and permeate it so completely that it literally held the universe together at the subatomic level. Granted I'm relying on autisticly augmented insights rather than formal training in physics so take what I write with the proverbial grain of salt.

Also, it has been 14 years since I read the book so his theory may have changed but that's how it struck me back then. It's an interesting book, regardless.

Upvote 0
Dec 15, 2007
✟7,639.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never read any Orthodox scholar , or theologian , who would call their views ' pantheistic ' . Moreover , Saint Gregory Palamas the great refiner of the difference between energies and essense , would recoil in horror at the charge . If you could point us to a specific scholar or theologian who would defend the title of pantheist , I would greatly appreciate it .:crosseo:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If God is infinite and the universe is finite, then the universe must be "within" God. Michio Kaku (ironically, an atheist) wrote a book called Hyperspace that, quite unintentionally, described God's "physical" relationship with the universe from a purely scientific POV.

He claimed that Einstein's theory of general relativity worked with no need for quantum theory if you assumed 10 dimensions. At the big bang, it split into the 3Ds we inhabit and the other 7 expanded infinitely and contracted infinitesimally to both contain the universe and permeate it so completely that it literally held the universe together at the subatomic level. Granted I'm relying on autisticly augmented insights rather than formal training in physics so take what I write with the proverbial grain of salt..

Hubble Heritage Gallery of Images

image80.jpg
image80.jpg
0028t80.jpg
p0733a80.jpg
p0534a_80.jpg
0427at.jpg

These are but a few, click on the link above to see dozens of them

Personally, when I consider the sheer vastness of the universe and how big it truly is, what amazes me even more is the entire concept of multiple heavens.....that there are levels and the Lord is truly outside of it all.

If you remember the film "Men in Black", there was a famous scene that really brought things into perspective on the issue of things would look like in the eyes of a creator:

Of course, I don't think the Lord looks like how the alien being looked like in 'Men in Black" :D:). But on a serious level, I do think that there's something to be said on how the classical model of how we see the universe isn't enough...for the Lord sustains it and is OUTSIDE of it entirely. The entire view behind what's known as Panentheism. Although I tend to favor other views, Panentheism has always seemed to be the most reasonable way of seeing things since the Lord is distinct from creation--sustaining it---and yet He is outside of it. Panentheism deals with how all there is not only emanates from God..but is experienced by Him as well. Its the idea that one’s not to worship an animal or a tree since it’s not the creator–but on the same token, as Chasidism ascribes to, the animal being abused is felt deeply by the Lord. He hurts with it as much as it does since that creation is directly connected to Him (As its being sustained by Him) and consequently He can feel it—just as he does with all suffering and pain in the world whenever injustice occurs (more shared here in #1, #91 and #92 ).

Its by His Grace that all men have rain....for in his Providential Grace, He shows grace/care for all his creatures...allowing others to survive by sending rain on the JUST and the Unjust (Matthew 5:45)....and Christ in the scriptures is portrayed as the INSTRUMENT of creation, "sustaining all things by His powerful word", (Colosians 1:16-7, John 1:3, Hebrews 1:3)---and whom by immanence is fully present in even the smallest atom....with all things connected to Him

images

AAA02.gif

Theism-and-Panentheism.png

Panenthesim.png

Panentheism is the idea that the entire universe is part of God, But God is greater that the universe. God is omnipresent and transcendent – that is, God contains the entire cosmos but the entire cosmos does not and cannot contain God. He is omnipresent because his uncreated energies permeate all Creation, generating and sustaining it. And He is transcendent because his uncreated essence is inaccessible to us – it is wholly beyond Creation.

Kinda like my cells and molecules and blood and other things in my body are part of myself, but I am much greater than those…and I cannot be seen in them….yet I am omnipresent through them, as I created them at my conception and sustain them throughout my life. God transcends creation as I transcend my body. Intelligence is everywhere.

I personally see no issue with supporting Biblical Panentheism and the concept of God being outside of the world and yet connected deeply to it/all within

Panentheism does not begin soteriologically with God’s special presence to some but with the universal presence to all, moving from thence toward the theories of special presence. It seeks to give the right perspective & focus in the face of evil. For instead of pulling away from those things that do not now manifest the nature of God fully, panentheism suggests the picture of transforming and healing them, as a healthy body might heal itself from an injury.

In this line of thought, the rapist still is being sustained by the Lord’s power even though God may not approve of His actions/decide to dwell with him…with God’s heart being to see the rapists REDEEMED and trusting in Him since even the Rapists was made in the image of God/given as aspect of the Divine….and the message of repentence/forgiveness and grace is where that process of healing can begin for the rapist, the murderer or any other aspect where decline has begun.

Even though in some ways He chooses to be disconnected from it, he is still connected to it intimately. The same goes for what was noted earlier when it comes to decline in the natural world, especially in cases where the natural world has been raped. Panentheism would suggest that God desires for healing to occur rather than the world to be abandoned altogether/demolished….and thus, He keeps it all going so that the chance for healing/redeemption may occur.

Panentheism ALSO deals with how all there is not only emanates from God..but is experienced by Him as well. Its the idea that one’s not to worship an animal or a tree since it’s not the creator–but on the same token, as Chasidism ascribes to, the animal being abused is felt deeply by the Lord. He hurts with it as much as it does since that creation is directly connected to Him (As its being sustained by Him) and consequently He can feel it—just as he does with all suffering and pain in the world whenever injustice occurs.

Christ said that even the sparrows do not fall outside of God’s care—as well as why He made clear that even the Ravens look to God for food ( Psalm 104:18-22, Psalm 147:8-10, Matthew 6:25-27, Luke 12:23-25 etc )

This is why many Panentheist have noted that Paul made a point in Romans to discuss how its not just humankind that’s redeemed…but all of creation as well, described as “groaning” and “suffering” rather than being indifferent to it all. The Eastern Fathers and some medievals have written profoundly on the cosmic dimensions of the Incarnation and Redemption (as did St. Paul).

Classical theism views sin and the Fall as distinct from the basic structure of the world and the culmination of the kingdom of God as a gracious undertaking that is not a mere outcome of a natural process. Panentheism, however, typically views creation and the Fall as part of the cosmic process as are redemption and consummation.

Christian panentheists view the earthly existence of Jesus Christ as either the central cause of the outcome of the process or a primary symbol or example of the process. Each approach is at odds with classical theism. With Biblical Panentheism I tend to lean more so toward what’s known as weak panentheism or soteriological panentheism. That is more similar to the position found in Eastern Orthodox Christianity (As well as Eastern Christianity in general). For in that view, God is manifest in redeemed nature and panentheistic metaphors are used in an eschatological sense, a future expectation when all redeemed nature is reconciled with God (1 Cor 15:28).

Ultimate salvation is viewed in a Johannine fashion, as participating in the Divine community of the Trinity (John 14:20) and abiding in Gods love as God himself is love in that He is the eternal community between Father, Son and Holy Spirit (1 John 4:16). If remembering the Eastern Orthodox concept known as Theosis, it helps things make more sense..

When understanding the theological framework of Panentheism as God being the system of systems, all creation and processes being within God, things can come together. You & all of creation exist within God. As for evil, that probably falls in under panentheism’s understanding & of the whole creation and the sustaining of it as an act of Kenosis (self-emptying for those unfamiliar with the term, famous from Philippians 2:7 where Christ is described taking the form of a servant by emptying himself) for God. For all of creation/ its sustaining is understood as a continuous act of suffering love, where God takes the suffering of this world upon Himself.

Noticeably, this goes counter to the more traditional understanding of the impassibility of God the Father and inability to hurt Him. The panentheistic model seems to be the more biblical of all options since God certainly is portrayed as one who is affected by the state of his creation in the scripture….and in my view, it increases the GLORY of God’s redeemption since in Christ (Colossians 1-2), that redeemption has begun to occur over all creation and the suffering the Lord has had to endure will eventually come to a Glorious end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Panentheism, not pantheism.
Indeed.

There's a big difference between saying the universe is within the Lord/sustained by Him (panentheism) and then saying the Universe IS GOD/worshipping creation (as pantheism says God is an impersonal force uniting all..similar to the Force from StarWars or Hinduism in its thoughts of what the afterlife is like).........

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the universe is not, at least in some sense, within God, then wouldn't it exist, at least in some sense "beyond" or "outside" God?

I've always thought of it as the universe is vast...and yet, it is not bigger than the Lord--and the Lord is not in some heavenly room on the other side of the universe. Rather, he is outside of it guiding it....keeping nature going while also being personally involved with His creation--specifically in the form of His son.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand to a limited degree what you are all saying.
Putting aside the term Panentheism---Do Orthodox believe that all things are in God or they would cease to exist, and that God transcends all things, such as in the diagram that is shown?
Or that God is in all things or they would cease to exist, such as in the Holy Spirit Prayer, "Who art present everywhere and Fillest all things" and that God transcends all?
Or is it both--He embraces all, he fills all, and of course we know he transcends all.
Or is it none of the above?
Please try and keep it as simple as possible, because my pea brain can only handle so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);60264495 said:
I've always thought of it as the universe is vast...and yet, it is not bigger than the Lord--and the Lord is not in some heavenly room on the other side of the universe. Rather, he is outside of it guiding it....keeping nature going while also being personally involved with His creation--specifically in the form of His son.

I think the Catholic church is not very big on Matthew Fox's teachings. That's why I am trying to understand this in light of Orthodox teaching.

Easy G. I should say I agree with what you are saying and you put it beautifully. I just wanted to stay within the bounds of traditional teaching. Hence, why I discounted Matthew Fox..for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GTAsoldier

Jul 21, 2011
New York
Visit site
✟15,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand to a limited degree what you are all saying.
Putting aside the term Panentheism---Do Orthodox believe that all things are in God or they would cease to exist, and that God transcends all things, such as in the diagram that is shown?
Or that God is in all things or they would cease to exist, such as in the Holy Spirit Prayer, "Who art present everywhere and Fillest all things" and that God transcends all?
Or is it both--He embraces all, he fills all, and of course we know he transcends all.
Or is it none of the above?
Please try and keep it as simple as possible, because my pea brain can only handle so much.

Both. Otherwise, God would not be omnipresent.

Psalm 139:7-10

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
Acts 17:28

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Isaiah 55:9

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Hope I helped,

- GTA

P.S. Check here for a concrete Orthodox understanding of panentheism

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

He claimed that Einstein's theory of general relativity worked with no need for quantum theory if you assumed 10 dimensions. At the big bang, it split into the 3Ds we inhabit and the other 7 expanded infinitely and contracted infinitesimally to both contain the universe and permeate it so completely that it literally held the universe together at the subatomic level. Granted I'm relying on autisticly augmented insights rather than formal training in physics so take what I write with the proverbial grain of salt.

Also, it has been 14 years since I read the book so his theory may have changed but that's how it struck me back then. It's an interesting book, regardless.

this idea of the universe being within God I think can be a bit misleading. I think its important to state that the universe is not a part of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GTAsoldier

Jul 21, 2011
New York
Visit site
✟15,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's accurate to say that God continually sustains creation, from the smallest to the largest aspect.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Without God sustaining and permeating all of His creation, creation wouldn't be. He breathes/breathed life into his creation which He made out of nothing. In other words, there is no existence outside of God because God is the fountainhead of all existence and being.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
this idea of the universe being within God I think can be a bit misleading. I think its important to state that the universe is not a part of God.

And I think that is what the definition in my OP explains, that while creation is within God, creation is not a part of God.

Reactions: GTAsoldier
Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I wasn't thinking, or expressing that it is PART of God, only that it can't truly exist outside Him without His infinite-ness being limited.

oh yes i wasn't implying that, i just thought it was necessary to point that out in case some lurkers might get the wrong impression ;)

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Without God sustaining and permeating all of His creation, creation wouldn't be. He breathes/breathed life into his creation which He made out of nothing. In other words, there is no existence outside of God because God is the fountainhead of all existence and being.

:amen:

Upvote 0