Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose you can just call young people "children". And if someone demands that I tell him or her which a certain child is, how would I know? I don't look under children's clothes. And for a court hearing, what you say is hearsay evidence. . . possibly.
Kind of confusing for polite places like Texas where we all call each other "sir" or "ma'am."

In military I guess it's easier. Just address the person by their name and rank. Or in short hand just the rank.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil - BBC News

Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil

Joshua Sutcliffe, a Christian pastor from Oxford, admitted he said "Well done girls" when addressing a group including the student.

He described it as a "slip of the tongue", but said he believed biological sex was defined at birth
This whole phenomenon of transgender ... came on the scene about as quickly as legionaires disease and aids; I'm wondering if they don't have the same origin, which I think is the devil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and only on weekends....
Yeah...and then where do we go from here? Part time kids...part time dogs...Are we threatened with penalties too if we don't recognize the K-9 inside the humans? The stories are out there and they're really serious. God help us.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.......and the beat (sadness) goes on.

We don't need to worry about Russia and China or North Korea. We are bombing ourselves with grievous, grievous error. It just keeps raining down, drowning a once Christian culture.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
.......and the beat (sadness) goes on.

We don't need to worry about Russia and China or North Korea. We are bombing ourselves with grievous, grievous error. It just keeps raining down, drowning a once Christian culture.
Wow confirmation! I was just thinking the other day that we're imploding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I
Labeling the person the incorrect gender.
think I read the entire article earlier and the complaint was really about more than just this one incident. If your daughter isn't trans, be grateful because as you can see it complicates life and there are people who are sarcastic and not very nice.

Upvote 0

Yoona86

Jan 18, 2013
KaliKingChong
✟30,979.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Used to be. In this Brave New World, they're different. Sure, there's two sexes, but over sixty genders. The separation came from a guy named John Money. Read up on him and David Reimer.

60 genders?

i have not been following on the issue, but is it not just the matter of he or she?

i am still dont know why there appears to be so many pronouns????????

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
60 genders?

i have not been following on the issue, but is it not just the matter of he or she?

If we leave it up to college students in the USA, we'll be calling each other "it," in order not to offend.

"Hey, did you hear? It is shacked up with it!"

"Wow! I thought it was going steady with it!"

"Not according to it......"

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
60 genders?

One of the complications is that some people identify as neither male nor female. A common term for this is non-binary. English doesn't accommodate non-binary people very well in its pronouns. One of my non-binary friends experimented with "ey/em" pronouns, but settled on "they/them". One of their friends is a linguist, with whom I've had interesting conversations about how hard it is to get a new pronoun in one's head, psychologically: we coin new English nouns and verbs all the time, but the set of pronouns is really really fixed in one's head. So I've occasionally botched the they/them without meaning to; I apologize, and it's accepted, and we move on.

This whole thing goes more smoothly if everyone tries to do the polite thing and if we're all forgiving of each other. You tell me your pronouns, and I'll try to use them, and it's not up to me to tell you what your gender identity is. If I goof, it'll be accidental, and I'll apologize, and I hope you'll accept my apology. I'd much rather have this kind of relationship, with grace on both sides, than all the sermons and lawsuits.

• Winner
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Joshua Sutcliffe, a Christian pastor from Oxford, admitted he said "Well done girls" when addressing a group including the student.

He described it as a "slip of the tongue", but said he believed biological sex was defined at birth

God made us male and female, but as with disease, earthquakes and hurricanes we no longer live in a perfect world. There are people whose hormones or sexual equipment are confused. Most people can still be identified biologically male or female and the self definition of gender could be regarded as a mental health issue or a failure of community authority in many cases. In this case a biological girl identifies as a boy and the teacher thinks he has the right to say shes wrong. I would side with the teacher but the girl will still be angry and hurt by that.

My question is what do we do about it.

Does pandering to the mentally ill or rebel make them worse?

Does forcing a person to label themselves with a strong gender label ,when they cannot identify with that ,hurt the person or heal them?

Does the confusion of having her , him and it walk among us hurt our community and the development of self awareness and identity of normal people?

Is this about our own acceptance of a distorted cultural stereotypical exaggeration of masculinity and feminity that has little to do with biblical understandings and more to do with the prejudices and inauthenticity of our culture?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
But if some adult male identifies as a 6 year old female...

You joke, but... Meet the 52 Year-Old Father Who Identifies As a 6 Year-Old Girl

60 genders?

tumblr_mhfc9aUZH31qizfh0o1_r1_1280.jpg

Be sure to check out the ones in the side. Aside from sounding like you're speaking Elvish, you'll be amazed at what they come up with.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is genuinely frightening. A whole generation of children being brought up to believe that the only thing that matters is to be nice and not offend anyone. To believe that their own God given identity is meaningless. It's grotesque, tragic, it completely disregards the whole notion of what it means to be a person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I worked for many years supporting people dealing with psychological trauma and longstanding mental health issues. The best outcomes were invariably gained when the person being supported was able to take responsibility, not for what might have led to their mental state, but for dealing with it in the present, and for wrestling through the difficult emotions involved to get to the end of it and stand on their own feet. This process is nigh impossible without support though, I mean where a person has experienced intense trauma or has just been so badly misled by parents and society that their whole personality lacks any foundation, it takes the intervention of another person to help them move away from that. Unfortunately though the notion that telling people that the horrendous mess they are in psychologically is ´ok´, in order to avoid having to deal with it, and that anyone who disagrees and speaks the truth is love is an ´oppressor´ has rapidly gained ground. All this leads to is people becoming more and more entwined in self destructive beliefs and behaviors.

Does forcing a person to label themselves with a strong gender label ,when they cannot identify with that ,hurt the person or heal them?

Depends how it´s done, I think. Sure it hurts. It hurts me to admit to past mistakes and character flaws, but they´re still there! ;-) Pretending things that are simply true ain´t so never leads to anything good, in my opinion. Healing only comes at the end of a long struggle. If a person isn´t encouraged to engage in that then they have been let down already.

Is this about our own acceptance of a distorted cultural stereotypical exaggeration of masculinity and feminity that has little to do with biblical understandings and more to do with the prejudices and inauthenticity of our culture?[/QUOTE]

I think probably or definitely yes. There´s all kinds of wrong on every side of the debate. That´s one of the things I think that makes it so difficult to get to the core issue of personal identity.

• Agree
Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God made us male and female, but as with disease, earthquakes and hurricanes we no longer live in a perfect world. There are people whose hormones or sexual equipment are confused. Most people can still be identified biologically male or female and the self definition of gender could be regarded as a mental health issue or a failure of community authority in many cases. In this case a biological girl identifies as a boy and the teacher thinks he has the right to say shes wrong. I would side with the teacher but the girl will still be angry and hurt by that.

My question is what do we do about it.

Does the confusion of having her , him and it walk among us hurt our community and the development of self awareness and identity of normal people?

Is this about our own acceptance of a distorted cultural stereotypical exaggeration of masculinity and feminity that has little to do with biblical understandings and more to do with the prejudices and inauthenticity of our culture?

I worked for many years supporting people dealing with psychological trauma and longstanding mental health issues. The best outcomes were invariably gained when the person being supported was able to take responsibility, not for what might have led to their mental state, but for dealing with it in the present, and for wrestling through the difficult emotions involved to get to the end of it and stand on their own feet. This process is nigh impossible without support though, I mean where a person has experienced intense trauma or has just been so badly misled by parents and society that their whole personality lacks any foundation, it takes the intervention of another person to help them move away from that. Unfortunately though the notion that telling people that the horrendous mess they are in psychologically is ´ok´, in order to avoid having to deal with it, and that anyone who disagrees and speaks the truth is love is an ´oppressor´ has rapidly gained ground. All this leads to is people becoming more and more entwined in self destructive beliefs and behaviors.

Depends how it´s done, I think. Sure it hurts. It hurts me to admit to past mistakes and character flaws, but they´re still there! ;-) Pretending things that are simply true ain´t so never leads to anything good, in my opinion. Healing only comes at the end of a long struggle. If a person isn´t encouraged to engage in that then they have been let down already.

Is this about our own acceptance of a distorted cultural stereotypical exaggeration of masculinity and feminity that has little to do with biblical understandings and more to do with the prejudices and inauthenticity of our culture?[/QUOTE]

I think probably or definitely yes. There´s all kinds of wrong on every side of the debate. That´s one of the things I think that makes it so difficult to get to the core issue of personal identity.

Reactions: Edwin627
Upvote 0