Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...It's gone so far that anyone who goes against the dictats for any reason is automatically blasted as a "hater" or "bigot" as an excuse to justify not listening to them....
Really?

I mean, that statement comes off to me as just plain ridiculous.

People have always eaten up garbage... be it in film, or food, or music. But they like some great stuff too. I'm just saying popular opinion is not reliable as an indicator of quality.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
For the last few years, Hollywood's elites have tried to dictate to the general public what we're supposed to like or dislike.

It's gone so far that anyone who goes against the dictats for any reason is automatically blasted as a "hater" or "bigot" as an excuse to justify not listening to them.

If "Joker" launches a revolution, it'll be a revolution of people pushing back against Hollywood and seeing or ignoring films as they see fit rather than continuing to listen.
Your statement is just outlandish. Hollywood has produced the same films as it has always produced, some films are great quality, some are trash. People see some films, they don't see other films. Some films are widely acclaimed by the public and critics alike, others are only seen by a few. The films that have won best picture have been big and small films, so I don't know where you're getting this idea of "Hollywood elites" dictating anything. Joker will not launch a revolution... the actor was great, the film was flat. Again, more hyperbole on your part.

• Winner
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Definitely. It might be the most deeply pro-Leftist Hollywood movie I've ever seen. But when they look in the mirror and see how horrible they are, they do what they always do - "That's not me, that's you!"
Didn't see it, but that much was obvious from even brief trailers on TV. I don't watch political propaganda disguised as story telling.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your statement is just outlandish. Hollywood has produced the same films as it has always produced, some films are great quality, some are trash. People see some films, they don't see other films. Some films are widely acclaimed by the public and critics alike, others are only seen by a few. The films that have won best picture have been big and small films, so I don't know where you're getting this idea of "Hollywood elites" dictating anything. Joker will not launch a revolution... the actor was great, the film was flat. Again, more hyperbole on your part.
No. When you've been around for awhile you see that yesterday's X rating is today's R rating. The R ratings of my childhood - stuff completely inappropriate for young people - are now PG.

Almost no R rated movie is appropriate for ME, much less younger people. I don't get entertainment from viewing bed hopping because I'm not a voyeur. I don't enjoy profanity spew, and heads exploding, and all kinds of sexual stuff inserted nonstop into everything, no matter how irrelevant to the story line. Hollywood used to know how to tell a story. Now it simply panders to the lowest common denominator out there.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No. When you've been around for awhile you see that yesterday's X rating is today's R rating. The R ratings of my childhood - stuff completely inappropriate for young people - are now PG.

Almost no R rated movie is appropriate for ME, much less younger people. I don't get entertainment from viewing bed hopping because I'm not a voyeur. I don't enjoy profanity spew, and heads exploding, and all kinds of sexual stuff inserted nonstop into everything, no matter how irrelevant to the story line. Hollywood used to know how to tell a story. Now it simply panders to the lowest common denominator out there.
I believe you are incorrect, I have yet to see a movie classified as X-rated in the same vein as an R-rated movie. In fact, there has been a greater shift to making R-rated movies PG-13. The idea is to get as wide in the audience as possible, so if you know otherwise, can you provide some examples?

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given how Netflix has steadily racked up nominations over the years, box office is a poor indicator of film quality. If that were the case, Avengers: Endgame should have more than one nomination.

What is a better indicator of quality? I think it is my opinion and no one else's. That being the case, I should just be given the power to determine what is and is not good acting, directing etc. and no one should have any complaint.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
One website does not reflect the entire media, especially one that amounts to a blog about gadgets and tech. I didn't see anything other than an article or two calling the film dangerous, which is not dissimilar from those Christian groups complaining about something in film or TV (e.g., like complaining about the use of the "D-word" in a Burger King TV ad).

The only thing I can say about the Joker is that Joaquin Phoenix did a great job, but the film was way too long and made no sense at some parts (the parts that made no sense were definitely the attempts to look "artistic").
You don't have high regard for "Joker", its insights and Joaquin Phoenix's performance?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You don't have high regard for "Joker", its insights and Joaquin Phoenix's performance?
I thought Joaquin Phoenix’s performance was good (I have to see the other performances, but I would be happy with him taking home the trophy), but the film overall was not the best. It’s a film that had the elements, but not the execution. There were also times where they put something in that felt artsy, but didn’t feel like it fit naturally with the story. I also felt it was too long, it didn’t need that much runtime for the story.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Really?

I mean, that statement comes off to me as just plain ridiculous.

People have always eaten up garbage... be it in film, or food, or music. But they like some great stuff too. I'm just saying popular opinion is not reliable as an indicator of quality.

I agree with that....

....lately though, professional opinions of movies seem to be less reliable as well. It's as if someone says something that isn't consistent with progressive liberal values....they are made to pay a price for it.

I remember when the first semi-negative review of Black Panther came out and the critic was basically lambasted for it. Critics obviously get a review wrong sometimes....but rarely are they attacked personally for it. All the other early reviews of it made it sound as if it was on the level of Citizen Kane in the pantheon of film.

It wasn't until much later when the fervor died down that some people felt comfortable with talking about it in realistic terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I thought it was a brilliant film and took me into the realms of delusion, poverty and desparation beautifully.
I love it when a film can take you to places you’ve ever known, whether it is a fantasy world or into the depths of someone’s psychology. While I wasn’t the biggest fan of the movie, I do think it was a better than a lot of the comic book fare out there. For me, my favorite comic book work of the year was Watchmen. Films, I’ll give it to Avengers: Endgame, but Joker was the most ambitious for doing something a little different (although Heath Ledger’s The Dark Knight performance made it possible).

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Shortly before "Joker" released, Gizmodo ran an article falsely claiming that the United States military had been put on high alert ahead of an expected "incel uprising".

2019 is looking like the year that the audiences won rather than the elites.

So for you, Gizmodo is elite, but the Academy of Arts and Sciences that sets up the nominations isn't, and also, the Academy is neither woke nor left...unlike Gizmodo.

That's...interesting.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So for you, Gizmodo is elite, but the Academy of Arts and Sciences that sets up the nominations isn't, and also, the Academy is neither woke nor left...unlike Gizmodo.

That's...interesting.

If this had been even one year ago, "Joker" would have been swept under the rug.

But its status as a smash hit made it something that couldn't be ignored, especially in light of all the jokes and comments about how rare it is for a popularly-enjoyed hit to be given top honors these days.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Your statement is just outlandish.

Then why did so many left-wing types gay bait me for giving high marks to "Ender's Game"?

Why have I been called a "bigot", "hater", and other such things for disliking movies like "Captain Marvel" or the 2016 "Ghostbusters" reboot?

I'm not alone in any of this. Actually talk to people and you'll see all sorts of folks who have been called very mean-spirited and hateful things simply over their preferred choice of movies. Go against what the "elite" says you should like, and you're trash to them.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not alone in any of this. Actually talk to people and you'll see all sorts of folks who have been called very mean-spirited and hateful things simply over their preferred choice of movies. Go against what the "elite" says you should like, and you're trash to them.

Who the heck are these "elite" you are going on about? And why would you care what they think about you , given how little you think about them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the bigger snub was of female directors.

Some movies I've heard about, but have not seen, are "The Farewell" and "Hustlers." I would say "Dolemite Is My Name" deserved a nod, but I think the films this year look pretty decent. Of the films nominated for Best Picture, I would really like to see "Parasite" and "Jojo Rabbit." Another film I've heard good things about is "Uncut Gems."

I just finished "Dolemite Is My Name", loved it! Eddy Murphy and Wesley Snipes were fantastic. The language might be a bit ripe for those on the other thread who were complaining that "damn" is obscene though. :eek:

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe you are incorrect, I have yet to see a movie classified as X-rated in the same vein as an R-rated movie. In fact, there has been a greater shift to making R-rated movies PG-13. The idea is to get as wide in the audience as possible, so if you know otherwise, can you provide some examples?
"A recent study published in the Journal of Children and Media confirms that PG-13 movies are significantly more violent than those a generation ago."

"In general terms, a movie can include a single f-word, as long as it is not sexual in context, and retain a PG-13 rating. However, if the use is sexual or there is more than one instance, the rating becomes an R. Also, a little nudity is allowed in a PG-13, as long as it's not sexual - then it becomes an R."

Today's MPAA Ratings Hold Little Value for Parents

"Annenberg Public Policy Center and Ohio State University revealed that films with a PG-13 rating now contain more gun violence than those tagged with the restrictive R. Days of headlines have regurgitated and reflected on this finding, but it's really not all that surprising."

These Films Prove Why Movie Ratings Are Insane

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The funny part is that if there’s a political message at all in Joker, it’s from the left.
That’s an odd take.

A disaffected white guy goes around killing people.

Isn’t that a right wing terrorist thing?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That’s an odd take.

A disaffected white guy goes around killing people.

Isn’t that a right wing terrorist thing?
Not really. It's a left wing talking point though.

The movie shows a bunch of angry poor people protesting the 1%. Many of them wear masks as they do so. The main object of their ire is a rich jerk businessman (from New York, let's be honest here) who is running for public office in spite of having no history with governing.

With respect, what part of that sounds like the American right to you?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Then why did so many left-wing types gay bait me for giving high marks to "Ender's Game"?

Why have I been called a "bigot", "hater", and other such things for disliking movies like "Captain Marvel" or the 2016 "Ghostbusters" reboot?

I can't speak to the other movies, but you are a definitely a hater when it comes to Captain Marvel. The way you go off onto tangents about your dislike for Brie Larson even when she or her movie is not the topic of conversation... kind of like now. I knew you would somehow bring up Captain Marvel into a topic that has nothing to do with that film. It was not nominated here, so there's no need to mention it.

And many of us do talk to people and they do reflect some of the films selected by the Academy, and they also talk about some of their blind spots (e.g., Dolemite Is My Name, Uncut Gems, and The Farewell come to mind).

In my opinion, Ender's Game was meh, there were more elements of the book than I expected, but still rather meh, it was a middling film. Ghostbusters was also meh and uninspired, but the incessant whines and complaints about the film went a little further than usual. The film was a flop, move on and stop taking it so personally. I love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I completely ignore the Michael Bay movies, I'm not going to picket in front of his house.

Upvote 0