SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Oscar Nominations 2020: 'Joker' and 'Irishman' Lead the Nominees
The 92nd Academy Awards will be a showdown between old and new Hollywood: Netflix amassed a leading 24 nominations on Monday, including best picture honors for "The Irishman" and "Marriage Story," but traditional studios were only a heartbeat behind.

Despite a plethora of diverse films competing for Oscar love this year, the Academy largely maintained its traditional point of view, handing out the most nominations to four very male, very white films. "Joker" (Warner Bros.) led all films with 11 nominations, including ones for best picture, director (Todd Phillips), actor (Joaquin Phoenix) and score (Hildur Guðnadóttir). The visually dazzling World War I epic "1917" (Universal) and Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood (Sony) each received 10, including best picture recognition. "The Irishman" also garnered 10.

The best-picture category can have as many as 10 or as few as five nominees, depending on how the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences spreads its support. This year there were nine. Joining "Joker," "The Irishman," "Marriage Story," "Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood," and "1917" were "Ford v Ferrari," "Jojo Rabbit," "Little Women" and "Parasite."

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What would be an example of a “less white” film that’s also better than Joker or the Irishman that came out last year?
I think the bigger snub was of female directors.

Some movies I've heard about, but have not seen, are "The Farewell" and "Hustlers." I would say "Dolemite Is My Name" deserved a nod, but I think the films this year look pretty decent. Of the films nominated for Best Picture, I would really like to see "Parasite" and "Jojo Rabbit." Another film I've heard good things about is "Uncut Gems."

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Yep.

The screaming has begun.

"Joker" was so hated and loathed by the "woke" crowd in Hollywood that outlets like Gizmodo were literally running fake news to try and kill it in the cradle, yet here it is with 11 nominations... after clearing $1 billion internationally with not a single cent of that coming from China.

2019 is looking like the year that the audiences won rather than the elites.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yep.

The screaming has begun.

"Joker" was so hated and loathed by the "woke" crowd in Hollywood that outlets like Gizmodo were literally running fake news to try and kill it in the cradle, yet here it is with 11 nominations... after clearing $1 billion internationally with not a single cent of that coming from China.

Looks like you're back at it again with the exaggerated claims.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Looks like you're back at it again with the exaggerated claims.

Shortly before "Joker" released, Gizmodo ran an article falsely claiming that the United States military had been put on high alert ahead of an expected "incel uprising".

In reality, one single base - Fort Sill in Lawton, Oklahoma - had received a general notice from the Criminal Investigation Division stating that Texas state law enforcement officials had seen dark web chatter that they took as potentially credible and so people at Sill needed to watch their six if they went to the theater on opening weekend. (Lawton is just across the Texas / Oklahoma border from Wichita Falls, and the two cities are considered a part of the same media market; yes, I used to live in Lawton, and had cousins in Wichita Falls at the time.)

Several credible news outlets - like Lawton-based ABC affiliate KSWO-TV - actually obtained a copy of the notice and made it public, but by then Gizmodo had already presented their false story and other credible outlets like the Deseret News had picked up on it.

I have a YouTube channel I use to supplement my weekly newspaper material, and given the haste with which the story was spreading I had to quickly hammer out a video as I was too close to deadline on my written material to change anything.

Follow the video back to YouTube and you'll see that I have the links in my video description.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Shortly before "Joker" released, Gizmodo ran an article falsely claiming that the United States military had been put on high alert ahead of an expected "incel uprising".

In reality, one single base - Fort Sill in Lawton, Oklahoma - had received a general notice from the Criminal Investigation Division stating that Texas state law enforcement officials had seen dark web chatter that they took as potentially credible and so people at Sill needed to watch their six if they went to the theater on opening weekend. (Lawton is just across the Texas / Oklahoma border from Wichita Falls, and the two cities are considered a part of the same media market; yes, I used to live in Lawton, and had cousins in Wichita Falls at the time.)

Several credible news outlets - like Lawton-based ABC affiliate KSWO-TV - actually obtained a copy of the notice and made it public, but by then Gizmodo had already presented their false story and other credible outlets like the Deseret News had picked up on it.

I have a YouTube channel I use to supplement my weekly newspaper material, and given the haste with which the story was spreading I had to quickly hammer out a video as I was too close to deadline on my written material to change anything.

Follow the video back to YouTube and you'll see that I have the links in my video description.
One website does not reflect the entire media, especially one that amounts to a blog about gadgets and tech. I didn't see anything other than an article or two calling the film dangerous, which is not dissimilar from those Christian groups complaining about something in film or TV (e.g., like complaining about the use of the "D-word" in a Burger King TV ad).

The only thing I can say about the Joker is that Joaquin Phoenix did a great job, but the film was way too long and made no sense at some parts (the parts that made no sense were definitely the attempts to look "artistic").

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yep.

The screaming has begun.

The funny part is that if there’s a political message at all in Joker, it’s from the left.

And yes, “news” stories based on utter fiction were published, you’re right about that.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The funny part is that if there’s a political message at all in Joker, it’s from the left.
Definitely. It might be the most deeply pro-Leftist Hollywood movie I've ever seen. But when they look in the mirror and see how horrible they are, they do what they always do - "That's not me, that's you!"

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thats a bad trend. Popular appeal does not correlate reliably with quality.
Yes, much better if someone up there in elite-land tells us what we should like.

• Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I saw Joker last week...I thought Phoenix gave a great performance but the plot was a little thin and predictable.

I think Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson gave the best performances for lead and supporting actors in The Lighthouse.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If Joker was played by a black female lesbian transsexual that would have made the movie three times better.
That's bigoted. You don't know what he is. Joachim might identify as a black female lesbian transsexual. Personally though, I think he's an upside down elf.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Definitely. It might be the most deeply pro-Leftist Hollywood movie I've ever seen. But when they look in the mirror and see how horrible they are, they do what they always do - "That's not me, that's you!"
To be clear, I'm in love with Joker. That movie is amazing.

But yeah, it's definitely on the left in its sympathies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I open to better alternatives. But box office performance isnt one.
Given how Netflix has steadily racked up nominations over the years, box office is a poor indicator of film quality. If that were the case, Avengers: Endgame should have more than one nomination.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Thats a bad trend. Popular appeal does not correlate reliably with quality.

For the last few years, Hollywood's elites have tried to dictate to the general public what we're supposed to like or dislike.

It's gone so far that anyone who goes against the dictats for any reason is automatically blasted as a "hater" or "bigot" as an excuse to justify not listening to them.

If "Joker" launches a revolution, it'll be a revolution of people pushing back against Hollywood and seeing or ignoring films as they see fit rather than continuing to listen.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0